PDA

View Full Version : Chukky Okobi:time is about up

BlackGold4vr
03-14-2007, 10:34 AM
* Chukky Okobi is given life in todays Tribune Review, and that may be a death sentence unto itself. But perhaps the real death sentence is buried under what Okobi's agent, Joe Linta, had to say:

"The fact that they didn't ask Chukky to take a pay cut is huge. That tells me they are going to treat him fairly."

Uh, that tells me that they are going to cut him, unless an emergency crops up at center with Sean Mahan, Kendall Simmons and Marvin Philip.

The Steelers learned their lesson about asking players with dimmed chances to take pay cuts last year with Duce Staley. Once Dan Rooney asked Staley to take a pay cut last spring, Rooney felt obligated to keep him throughout the season.

No, this does not look good for Okobi. The Steelers must still be eye-balling his $2 million salary. His signing bonus (complicated by two renegotiations) appears to have $813,538 (over three years) remaining. The deduction against his salary savings could be halved now since the Steelers can, by new rules, cut two players by June 1 and designate them as June 1 cuts.

The way I see it, if the Steelers were truly serious about keeping Okobi they'd have asked him to take a pay cut. Then again, Okobi is being given one last chance to light it up. Good luck, Chukk!

Who didn't see this coming? Writing was on the wall just as soon as the ink was drying on Mahan's new contract. They weren't going to cut Philip with a salary less than half of Okobi's. I would be shocked if Okobi was still on the 53 man roster in September! :nono:

Captcoolhand
03-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Who didn't see this coming? Writing was on the wall just as soon as the ink was drying on Mahan's new contract. They weren't going to cut Philip with a salary less than half of Okobi's. I would be shocked if Okobi was still on the 53 man roster in September! :nono:
:ditto:I'm Think if it wasn't for the new rule, He would be gone:yesnod:

Ambridge
03-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Time for the obligatory drone of "The Steelers should have took Nick Mangold" in last years draft.:greengrin:

Captcoolhand
03-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Time for the obligatory drone of "The Steelers should have took Nick Mangold" in last years draft.:greengrin:
:lol: Or the one we should of taken LenDale White. My god I'm glad that's over.:yesnod:

steelcurtaingal
03-14-2007, 03:49 PM

hes a goner:yesnod:

kgreen
03-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Good bye Chukky, you're welcome for that Super Bowl Ring!

DIESELMAN
03-14-2007, 05:27 PM
6 years as a backup....lol....what the **** did Cowher ever see in this guy?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-14-2007, 05:32 PM
With Mahan signing this definitely spells the end for Okobi, and hell if I was him I'd want to go somewhere else too because you know the money they paid Mahan, isn't for him to be a backup.

jayson_wv
03-14-2007, 07:04 PM
he's good friends with one of my friends...it's bout time he does go though. i have never EVER thought he was too great at all.

House of Steel
03-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Okobi a goner.......see ya......don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.