PDA

View Full Version : The problem with 2007

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Is that we're evaluating players from the 2006 team. Right now you're saying, Duh, how else would you do it right? Well the problem with trying to figure out what to do with all these players right now and who to draft next month is that we're looking at all these players who were all awesome in 2005 and got us our 5th Super Bowl title, and seeing how they fit into our future after such a crappy 2006 campaign.

We've been thru how bad 2006 was and beaten that topic to death so we don't need to go back there again. When you think about it, this is such a pivotal time for us and in so many ways our future is affected by what we do in the next few months before camp starts. Are players like Faneca, Smith, Hines, and Kreider on the down side for real and do we need to purge them and move on...or is it just a case of a bad year where everything went wrong and all these players deserve to come back and finish their career with us.

These are crazy times to be a Steelers fan..we have so much hope and excitement to see what Tomlin will do for us in 2007 and what decisions he'll make in this offseason but at the same time it's scary because we haven't been through a change this big in 15 years.

Personally I don't think we're that bad off as a team. We have a ton of talent and a lot of guys we need to resign if you ask me. Yes we have needs and some new players will be stepping into prominent roles but it's not quite as bad as the media might think it is for us. When you look around at all the FA movement this offseason already and see how teams are "improving" themselves with signing new players; just keep in perspective that every year the Steelers stay the course and work the offseason with the same methodical program that's made us a contender for the conference title nearly every year for the last 15 years.

Just my :2cents:

tony hipchest
03-14-2007, 12:58 AM
do we need to purge and move on?
cowher (one of the top coaches in the game) = gone
whiz (one of the hottest hc candidates in the game) = gone
grimm (assistant HC and another HC candidate) = gone
porter (emotional leader on the field and most influential leader in the locker room) = gone

the purging stage is going on before our eyes even though all 4 were instrumental in our SB run less than 14 months ago. :dunno:

Steelerlyn
03-14-2007, 02:15 AM
It is scary

Steelersfan
03-14-2007, 02:24 AM
porter (emotional leader on the field and most influential leader in the locker room) = gone

the purging stage is going on before our eyes even though all 4 were instrumental in our SB run less than 14 months ago. :dunno:

The same could be said about those same guys letting us down last year.

It is scary

I'm actually excited to see what we can do this year. With Cowher we pretty much knew what to expect for the most part. This is not necessarily a good thing...lol I'm just excited to see what we have this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Let's just hope this excitement doesn't turn into dissapointment. Cowher's first season with us was very exciting and successful so hopefully Tomlin's will be the same.

BBG7
03-14-2007, 09:06 AM
I think change is always scary, but I think it was time also. I have a lot of confidence going into next year and I'm very excited!!! I like Tomlin and I think the players will rally around him. All of his players that he has coached seem to really like him. I also think he is more than capable to be our head coach!!! When Whiz left, I wanted Tomlin. I believe the Rooney's made the right choice by hiring him.

steelcurtaingal
03-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Let's just hope this excitement doesn't turn into dissapointment. Cowher's first season with us was very exciting and successful so hopefully Tomlin's will be the same.

It will be, but it may not be in the same way as Cowher. Lets allow Tomlin to be his own person, and not always compare him to Cowher. Right now, alot of people are looking at Tomlin and expecting him to be another Cowher. I just cant wait to see what he brings to the field.:tt02:

BlackGold4vr
03-14-2007, 11:08 AM
It is scary

Scary, is you or a loved one facing a life threatening illness. Scary is losing your job and not being able to pay your mortgage. Scary is not whether the Steelers win or lose!

I consider myself to be one of the biggest Steeler fans around, but it is just a game after all and it doesn't put food on my table, pay my bills, or kiss me goodnight and tell me, "I love you", the way my kids do each night when I tuck then into bed.

No, fear is not an emotion that I attach to a football season. We just had a horrible 8-8 season and my life is still pretty good. I hope I have more to cheer about this year. But if not, there is always hope for 2008! :crossfingers:

TEEMONT
03-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Scary, is you or a loved one facing a life threatening illness. Scary is losing your job and not being able to pay your mortgage. Scary is not whether the Steelers win or lose!

Dude, scary is a word used to desribe many things, I'm pretty sure there are different levels of scary. No reason to get on your high horse. I don't think Lyn was trying to trivialize life as we know it, but the fact that the Steelers situation is pretty much unknown, for fans can be, well.....scary.

I havent had to deal with me or a loved one facing a life-threatening illness, losing my job, or not being able to pay my mortgage, so until then, the prospect of next year is scary.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Yes there are changes that we as Steelers fans are not use to. But hey I'm excited about Mike Tomlin as the HC and the new direction of the team. I think the Steelers offense has the potential to be one of the top offenses in the NFL.

The whole offense except for Hines Ward and Alan Faneca are fairly young. Plus both of them are still very good players. The Steelers need the Oline to play better and Big Ben to bounce back strong for the offense to be among the best in the NFL. I expect continued improvement from Willie Parker who is in the top five best RB's in the NFL. Thats right I said it. Plus Santonio and Nate will be better in 2007. One last thing about the offense. Just throw the damn ball to Heath more.lol

As for the defense I do expect some struggles here. The Dline is one of the best in the NFL. The LB's are a trouble area in my mind. Improving the LB's is a must in this upcoming draft. I still think the starting four is solid with Haggans, Farrior, Foote and Harrison. But who knows how Harrison will do for a full season as a starter? Plus solid just doesn't cut it for the LB's in this defense. The LB's have to dominate for the 3-4 to truelly be a dominating defense. Not much depth behind the starting 4 as of right now.

The secondary isn't as bad as some think it is. If the pass rush improves then that makes the secondary better. I do think some depth at corner is needed since Townsend is getting up there and Colclough just sucks. The starting pair of Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden are solid. I think Ike bounces back strong this year. This season Troy and Anthony will show they're one of the best safety tandoms in the NFL this year.

As for the special teams. First thing cut Gardocki. I wouldn't mind finding a replacement for Jeff Reed. His short kickoffs are annoying and he was kind of shaky with his field goals last year but I think replacing Gardocki is the bigger need. As for the coverage units I just hope Tomlin and the new special teams coaches can fix the coverage units. Another hope for me is Willie Reid stays healthy and becomes the kick/punt returner we expected when he was drafted.

The Steelers have the talent to be a play-off team in 2007 for sure. The players have to buy into what Tomlin is selling though for this team to compete for the play-offs. Next Big Ben has to bounce back and show he can carry the load of a young franchise QB. In the draft finding some pass rushers is a must. All in all I'm still excited about this upcoming season.

DIESELMAN
03-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Changes as far as the Steelers go happen every day. From the minute to changes on a greater scale. This change we are going through happened 15 years ago, either some of us didn't experience it or we have forgotten. The unknown can be "scary" or to put it another way, it can be unsettling. The unknown as far as the Steelers go to me is something I look forward to, thats all we can do. Have confidence in the Rooneys and in the hiring of Tomlin. Between those decisions and the decisions getting ready to transpire in the draft we will field a competitive team this season. Why? because the veterans have learned through last year that nothing is given or handed to the champs. Everything is worked for and left on the field. We will have a good draft and the rookies will make a significant contribution to the Steelers, Tomlin will see to that. We must have confidence that the Steelers are headed in a different but better direction. At least thats how I feel and thats part of being a Steeler fan.....Cocky Confidence that we will be better then before. Guaran****inteed!!!!!

Ambridge
03-14-2007, 03:29 PM

Tomlin inherits a pretty good team compliments of Bill Cowher.
It will be interesting to see over the next few seasons after more and more of Cowher's players get weeded off the roster if Tomlin can build his own team of successful players??

steelcurtaingal
03-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Changes as far as the Steelers go happen every day. From the minute to changes on a greater scale. This change we are going through happened 15 years ago, either some of us didn't experience it or we have forgotten. The unknown can be "scary" or to put it another way, it can be unsettling. The unknown as far as the Steelers go to me is something I look forward to, thats all we can do. Have confidence in the Rooneys and in the hiring of Tomlin. Between those decisions and the decisions getting ready to transpire in the draft we will field a competitive team this season. Why? because the veterans have learned through last year that nothing is given or handed to the champs. Everything is worked for and left on the field. We will have a good draft and the rookies will make a significant contribution to the Steelers, Tomlin will see to that. We must have confidence that the Steelers are headed in a different but better direction. At least thats how I feel and thats part of being a Steeler fan.....Cocky Confidence that we will be better then before. Guaran****inteed!!!!!

:plus1: you are so right

BlitzburghRockCity
03-14-2007, 05:35 PM
How these vets we have respond to Tomlin's teaching, motivation, and overall coaching style will go a long way to how successful we are early on in 2007. If it takes us awhile to get used to him we'll be out of the playoffs before we ever get a chance to be in them...but if we respond well and take to what Tomlin says from the get go, we may have a chance to be competitive this year and make some noise.

DIESELMAN
03-14-2007, 06:10 PM
but if we respond well and take to what Tomlin says from the get go, we may have a chance to be competitive this year and make some noise.

Well then, heres to makin some ****in noise this year!!!!! :beer4: :mohawk1:
:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

jayson_wv
03-14-2007, 06:58 PM
ALL GOOD POINTS HERE. i think if tomlin is respected as a coach we will be fine. you have to motivate... i do NOT think it's time to get rid of hines, or faneca etc... i do not think there is ever a time to get rid of hines ward! he is the only guy left that alot of these young players probably look up to. someone will step up to be the vocal leader. if someone does not then we are in for a long season. the AFC will be rediculous this year. we need our solid Defense back first off...our offense will work itself out, it has to with all this talent. special teams makes me cringe!!! tomlin's whole philosophy is good D and run the ball! we have the personnel to do that, we do need a 3rd down back though. i think we need that very much.