PDA

View Full Version : Has Mahan solved the Steeler problems?

BlackGold4vr
03-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Next in the series of articles about possible draft picks, Jim Wexell discusses the possibility of taking Ben Grubbs/OG/Auburn. Here is the link!

http://steelers.scout.com/2/626322.html

Consensus is they still go defense in the 1st round but if they did go with offense it would probably be on the O-line! :banana:

K Train
03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
if our 1st rounder is not defense im furious

DIESELMAN
03-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I hope it does. Reading that article was pretty interesting, Grubbs used to be a LB and a FB? now hes a 310-lb. G who has a defensive mindset as well as being a helluva pulling guard. Damn this draft is going to take some twists and turns. Who knows bro.....

BlitzburghRockCity
03-12-2007, 11:13 PM
If we were to go OL in the first round that would mean they have absolutely no faith in any guard on our roster right now or they think Faneca will leave and they want someone to be able to step in and take his spot in 2008.

K Train
03-12-2007, 11:16 PM
if we dont get an OLB in the first round when were in the position that were in and with the class being stacked at OLb i will be so pissed off...OLB is priority #1

BlitzburghRockCity
03-12-2007, 11:18 PM
:iagree: There is little doubt where our priority needs to be right now. We're thin enough at LB as it is, and last year it damn near bit us in the *** when all our LB's starting dropping during different times thru the year. Now with Porter gone that's even 1 more less. IMO we need atleast 2 LB's this year.

K Train
03-12-2007, 11:20 PM
rounds 1 and 3 should be LBs, 2 a RB, and 4 or 5....well just look at the avatar

BlitzburghRockCity
03-12-2007, 11:24 PM
I'd be stoked if we could get something along those lines. I really think we gotta look to DL in this draft as well, if for no other reason than some fresh faces to add into the mix. Mahan definitely helped our OL but I don't think we should ignore in 2007 either by not taking anyone. Whoever we take though at LB or DE, they have to be able to play in both the 34 and 43.

K Train
03-12-2007, 11:26 PM
get over the 4-3 thing....we arent switching, implementing ideas sure, but the base 3-4 isnt goin anywhere

BlitzburghRockCity
03-12-2007, 11:33 PM
I didn't say it was. I was the first one on this board who was campaigning so adamantly about us keeping the 34 ever since Tomlin was hired so :nahnah:

However, whatever defensive players we draft for our DL or LB, need to be the type of player that can play in a 34 or 43 type of defense.

BlackGold4vr
03-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Reading that article was pretty interesting, Grubbs used to be a LB and a FB? now hes a 310-lb. G who has a defensive mindset as well as being a helluva pulling guard. Damn this draft is going to take some twists and turns. Who knows bro.....

Auburn’s top NFL prospect coming into the workout, Grubbs only enhanced his value to the scouts in attendance with a great workout. Measuring in at 6-2 ˝, 314, Grubbs ran a time on several watches below 5.0 in the 40-yard dash to easily improve his time from the combine. He also added a 29-inch vertical and an impressive 35 reps on the bench press of 225 pounds to solidify his reputation as one of the top offensive linemen available in the draft. Grubbs says that was his reasoning for deciding to work out again at home.

”I just wanted to do everything once to see if I could improve on my numbers,” Grubbs says. “I still worked hard and was still out there busting my butt during training and I wanted to see if anything improved. I think I did well in everything. I improved everything but my pro agility. In everything else my numbers improved.”

:beer3:

TEEMONT
03-13-2007, 12:10 AM
We def need to go defense in the 1st round...whether it be Okoye ( I hope) or Spencer (eh, trade down a few spots maybe?). But I agree with train, we need to go D in the first. OLB/DE type, then possibly a RB/OL.

I am pretty much sold on Sepulva (sp?), I thought Lee was the answer, and was happy with that offer, but I guess the Niners like him too. Is it just me or does Sepulva sound like a part of the female anatomy?

K Train
03-13-2007, 12:19 AM
I am pretty much sold on Sepulva

:plus1:

also i think even though Okoye wont be there at 15....at this point its OLB or nothing

also, its sepulveda and i guess it sounds like vulva....in a not so much kinda way :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2007, 12:50 AM
Oh No, Train has corrupted Stillers now :lol:

I just don't see the logic in taking a punter as early as he could possibly go. There's so many that never get drafted or even thought of that Im sure we could easily find one late in the draft. Having said that, you can't underestimate the importance of having a good leg in the kicking game like that so if we did take a punter earlier on Day 2, we'd definitely be set for a long time to come.

K Train
03-13-2007, 12:52 AM
yeah its not like we will have to do this 5 years down the road.....draft him now and get it over with...he is the kind of punter you can build a franchise around :lol:

DIESELMAN
03-13-2007, 12:52 AM
I think everybody here is in agreement that we need a OLB/DE with our first pick. Thats pretty much a gimmee. This guy Grubbs can anticipate what moves the defensive players are going to make (he used to be a defensive player, he still has that mentality), he is a road grader that we could use if he were to fall into the 2nd round.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Now that we've established that the Steelers need to go DE/LB in round 1, you know damn well they'll do something else and go in a completely different direction :nonod: :lol:

SteelersWoman
03-13-2007, 12:58 AM
Whoever we take though at LB or DE, they have to be able to play in both the 34 and 43.

I agree.

....we arent switching...the base 3-4 isnt goin anywhere

We won't be "switching" full time, no, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it thrown in a few times this first season just to see how it goes--besides, I think it'd be great to have a defense that was versatile enough to pull ALL possible defenses off well--heck, throw 'em all in there and keep the other team forever guessin at what to do :greengrin:

...Is it just me or does Sepulva sound like a part of the female anatomy?

Wishful thinking, perhaps? lol

.... its sepulveda and i guess it sounds like vulva....in a not so much kinda way :lol:

:hilarious:

This was the first decent pic I'd seen of Sean...sure not hard to look at!

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1967/seanmayhanhx5.jpg

BlackGold4vr
03-13-2007, 01:10 AM
This was the first decent pic I'd seen of Sean...sure not hard to look at![/COLOR]

Passes the eye test.....guess we can keep him.....she approves! :lol:

TEEMONT
03-13-2007, 02:00 AM
yeah its not like we will have to do this 5 years down the road.....draft him now and get it over with...he is the kind of punter you can build a franchise around :lol:

Hell he probably can play QB better than Ben! He will be like a white Kordell!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2007, 02:02 AM
I agree.

We won't be "switching" full time, no, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it thrown in a few times this first season just to see how it goes--besides, I think it'd be great to have a defense that was versatile enough to pull ALL possible defenses off well--heck, throw 'em all in there and keep the other team forever guessin at what to do :greengrin:

Wishful thinking, perhaps? lol

:hilarious:

This was the first decent pic I'd seen of Sean...sure not hard to look at!

My wife thinks he's pretty good looking too, personally I don't see the big deal :lol:

K Train
03-13-2007, 02:02 AM
ya never know

BBG7
03-13-2007, 03:59 AM
Passes the eye test.....guess we can keep him.....she approves! :lol:

I dont' know...not passing my looks test....but hell, neither do most of the Steelers (but I still love them). Let's just say I'm picky!

tony hipchest
03-13-2007, 08:59 PM
okolbi definitely has reason to worry. but so should faneca and simmons. i didnt even know who maham was before steelers interest and wouldnt have though t solid group of sb champion linemen and back ups needed a $3 mil/yr guy to join the roster.

obviously the NEW steelers hc did. his versatility could prove to ba bought at a bargain price if he is starting 2 years from now with 3 years left on his contract.

seems like a pretty good deal that will probably fly under the radar for a while. if he cant crack the starting line up, he is pretty much a waste of money and a roster spot for a rookie with potential.

makes me wonder if philip will even be around after camp or if grimm was that great of a teacher to okolbi if hes cut.