PDA

View Full Version : Jason Trusnik A Draft Sleeper?

Black@Gold Forever32
03-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Well we all know the high rated draft prospects but I like looking at the sleepers as well. I think this could be one. Tell me what you think? He would play OLB in the Steelers 3-4 defense.

Jason Trusnik-DE/OLB
With high energy and competitiveness, makes more plays than expected. Is instinctive; sniffs out plays well and gets started fast. Uses hands aggressively against blockers; chops offensive linemen's hands down to stay free and can jolt them with hard punches. Excels at getting underneath reach blocks. Keeps blockers on his back. Shows the closing burst to consistently make tackles in pursuit. Excels at shooting into and blowing up plays in the backfield when the lineman over him pulls. Plays stronger than measured size; consistently holds ground against tight end run blocks and tosses them aside to make tackles on runs at him.

Bottom line: Trusnik was a dominant and productive small-school defender, but he is a frustrating end/linebacker 'tweener. That makes him at best a seventh-rounder who will need to start on special teams and need to bulk up to about 265 pounds to get defensive reps.

After missing the '05 season with a broken leg, Ohio Northern defensive end Jason Trusnik (http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2007/players/7191.html) had an outstanding senior season and grabbed the attention of scouts. He played at a small school and is somewhat of a defensive end/outside linebacker 'tweener at 6-3 1/2 and 249 pounds.
Trusnik was not invited to the Combine, so his workout Thursday had a big bearing on his status in most team's eyes.
He appeared fully recovered the injury and showed the speed to switch to linebacker if needed. He ran two 40-yard dashes in the high-4.6s on a rubber track, which most teams will convert to the high 4.7s. That's still good for a linebacker.
Trusnik's workout was good but might not be good enough to get drafted. In our opinion, he could become a good rush linebacker and is an ideal late-round option for a team using a 3-4 defense.

I'm not saying this guy is going to anything great. But in the 7th round why not take a chance on him?

Black@Gold Forever32
03-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Bump..

DIESELMAN
03-12-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm reading he's 6'5".

By TOM USHERtusher@limanews.com 419-993-2089LIMA — Defensive end Jason Trusnik was simply unblockable.He was too quick and too explosive off the ball.That was at Division III Ohio Northern.Now, the two-time, first-team All-American is looking to take the next step. He wants the chance to compete for an NFL job.For the 6-foot-5, 245-pound Trusnik, this is a dream he’s had for some time.“In Division III, you don’t see a lot of guys make it (to the NFL), but these last couple of years, I’ve seen a lot of guys make it from Division III and getting chances,” Trusnik said. “And then, having my great junior year, and seeing a scout there for me, I think that gives you a lot of motivation. Those are the things that make you want to work hard and that’s what I did. Then, seeing more and more scouts … it’s all coming together the last two or three years here. It’s given me a lot of motivation to be successful in my future, hopefully.”Trusnik graduated from Nordonia High School, in Macedonia, just east of Cleveland. He played quarterback for his first three years, including being the junior varsity quarterback as a junior.As a senior, in an effort to get him on the field, the coach moved him to defensive end.“It just amazes me after looking back at my many years of football,” Trusnik said.Three years later as a junior at ONU, Trusnik led the nation in sacks (18) and tackles for loss (31). He suffered a broken foot in Game 3 the next year and was given a red-shirt year for this past senior season.This year he had 11 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss.For his career, Trusnik has 277 tackles and owns ONU career records for sacks (43) and tackles for loss (85).Trusnik had eight tackles and a sack in the Aztec Bowl, which matches the top Division III players against a Mexican collegiate all-star team. Last Friday, he played in the Division I Texas vs. the Nation Bowl Classic at El Paso, Texas. He had six tackles, one for a loss, and a half a sack for the Nation team.“There’s definitely been interest,” ONU coach Dean Paul said. “I’m hoping he gets an invitation to a camp. … He had a real ability to play extremely hard all the time. His burst off the ball was phenomenal. It was fun to watch.”Next up for Trusnik is a pro day at ONU on March 8, where a number of NFL scouts plan to attend.In the meantime, he’s working out at FAST to get his weight up and his speed down.“We’ve got to get 20 pounds on him, but that has to be muscle,” FAST owner Tim Lones said. “He’s at 4.7 (in the 40) and we want him down in the 4.6’s.”All Trusnik wants is his opportunity.“You see those great players and you want to be that some day,” Trusnik said.

Bottom line is.....you never know where the next pass rushing, run stopping, QB sackin machine will come from.