PDA

View Full Version : Steelers get their first FA signing..Mahan agrees to terms

BlitzburghRockCity
03-10-2007, 01:42 PM
http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/2877

By: Jim Flynn

March 10, 2007 @ 12:00pm

Tampa Bay free agent offensive lineman Sean Mahan will sign with Pittsburgh

Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive lineman Sean Mahan agreed to terms on a contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers Saturday, PewterReport.com is reporting. Mahan, 26, started 36 career games while playing both guard positions and center for the Bucs.

Mahan, 26, has started 36 of the 57 games he’s played in since entering the NFL in 2003 as a fifth-round draft pick out of Notre Dame.

The 6-foot-3, 301-pound Mahan has proven to be a versatile player. He started all 16 games at right guard in 2005. In 2004, he started the final eight games of the season in place of injured center John Wade. Last season, Mahan started 12 of Tampa Bay’s 16 regular season games. Most of his playing time came at left guard in place of injured G Dan Buenning.

In addition to losing Mahan to the Steelers, the Bucs elected to pass on the opportunity to sign free agent centers Al Johnson and Jeremy Newberry earlier in the week. Tampa Bay has signed one offensive lineman -- tackle Luke Petitgout -- in free agency thus far.

House of Steel
03-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Sounds like a great signing. I am happy to hear of this. Mahan welcome to the Pittsburgh Steelers :tt02: He is going to love it here.

Steelx
03-10-2007, 01:45 PM
A good young guy that can play a few positions on the line. I find nothing wrong with that!!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-10-2007, 01:47 PM
I like this signing since it gives another option at both OG or C. With Jeff Hartings retirement that left a the center spot open and RG has been a trouble spot with Kendall Simmons playing inconsistent the last few years.

DIESELMAN
03-10-2007, 01:49 PM
YES!!! Good deal!!! definitely clears our OL up quite a bit. I read somewhere that he wasn't going to sign with anyone unless he starts. I like this a lot.

BlackGold4vr
03-10-2007, 02:02 PM
What I love about this signing is the guy is so young......only 26. I have read great stuff about the guys collegiate career. Was voted as the Irish's best O-lineman a few years ago. Scouting reports say he has very quick, nimble feet. With this signing somebody else is not gonna make this team and my guess is it will be Chucki Okobi because he is the highest priced non-starter at 2.5 million. Lots of the other back-ups are getting paid like back-ups and we can afford to keep them. I still expect at least 1 offensive lineman pick in this years draft and someone else to get walking papers before the season starts. We just got younger on the offensive line and that is a good thing! I applaud the signing! I believe this move will shift our need for an OL back to day 2. Having said that here is how I feel we will draft on day 1.

1. DE/OLB
2. RB
3. WR

Day 2

4. OL
5. LB
6. CB
7. P

:touchdownrun:

BB2W
03-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Sounds great!... This is probabaly a Tomlin move considering his history with the Bucs.

DIESELMAN
03-10-2007, 02:20 PM
1. DE/OLB
2. RB
3. WR

Day 2

4. OL
5. LB
6. CB
7. P

I like the sound of that :bigthumb: .....with just one signing our whole draft strategy changes quite a bit. With all the FA RB signings, the possibility of grabbing a serious RB in the draft on day 1 is looking even better. Okobi is definitely a gonner, 6 years as a backup, he should've been let go a long time ago.

Steelersfan
03-10-2007, 02:27 PM
With this signing somebody else is not gonna make this team and my guess is it will be Chucki Okobi because he is the highest priced non-starter

Koopa is not gonna be happy with you!......lol

Koopa
03-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Koopa is not gonna be happy with you!......lol

either is chuk wun

he told me to show the ppl that say he's gonna get cut this :lol:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/lucmclend20/925619729_l.jpg

i really don't care about him, i just like this picture

DIESELMAN
03-10-2007, 02:31 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/40/408160.jpg

A fifth-round pick by Tampa Bay out of Notre Dame in 2003, Mahan renewed acquaintances Friday with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who was part of the Tampa Bay coaching staff during Mahan's first three seasons in the league.

"He's a great coach. I admire him. I have a lot of respect for him," Mahan said. "I'd be here even if he wasn't here, but it's nice knowing he's here."

BB2W
03-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Mahan played some center for the Bucs in 2004, but Gruden didn't use the shotgun back then. He didn't start implementing into his offense until recently.

Hopefully he's better in shotgun than Simmons...

Blitzburgh55
03-10-2007, 02:36 PM
He cant be too god the Bucs Line let Simms get Killed he had to have his Splien Cleaned or something like that

DIESELMAN
03-10-2007, 02:38 PM
He cant be too god the Bucs Line let Simms get Killed he had to have his Splien Cleaned or something like that

Hes good otherwise we wouldn't have signed him. :banging:.....Simms got banged hard outside of the pocket, it was his own damn fault.

Prosdo
03-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Good signing by the Steelers

BlackGold4vr
03-10-2007, 03:06 PM

Are you really a Steeler fan or a closet Bengal fan? Which players do you actually like? I haven't seen you say a positive thing about any part of our team. I can't read any of your posts and see that you are a fan who is pulling for the success of our team! I believe you are a Bungal doubleagent! Probably have a closet full of Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson jerseys! :lol:

SteelersWoman
03-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Hes good otherwise we wouldn't have signed him. :banging:.....Simms got banged hard outside of the pocket, it was his own damn fault.

You're right--he wasn't behind the line when that happened. I believe it was when he couldn't find a WR open and tried to run it for a few extra yards.

Whle that hit was Chris' fault, (as were a couple others in that game) I wasn't impressed with the Bucs QB protection all year--but then again, I wasn't with the STEELERS QB protection all year either lol

In fairness though, Gradkowski AND Big Ben's indecision behind the line was responsible for a lot of their sacks.

I'm sure Mike knows what this young man's capable of, so (:crossfingers: ) we'll see better stuff THIS season!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Are you really a Steeler fan or a closet Bengal fan? Which players do you actually like? I haven't seen you say a positive thing about any part of our team. I can't read any of your posts and see that you are a fan who is pulling for the success of our team! I believe you are a Bungal doubleagent! Probably have a closet full of Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson jerseys! :lol:

Funny post.:bluelol:

SteelersWoman
03-10-2007, 03:21 PM
you are a Bungal doubleagent! Probably have a closet full of Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson jerseys! :lol:

Blitz is gonna wanna kill you when he reads this ya know... Funny though! :hilarious:

BlackGold4vr
03-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Mahan was offered contracts by Cleveland and Seattle, but it came down to a decision between Tampa Bay and the Steelers. Mahan said on Friday that his decision wouldn't be based solely on money.

It's because he can't play that 4 teams wanted to sign him! Rumor has it they wanted him for his locker room humor! Heard he has an array of knock-knock jokes that would have you in stitches! Maybe Blitzburgh55 can learn to love him because he doesn't seem to like any of our other players. :rofl:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-10-2007, 03:49 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

This is just the type of player we usually sign when it comes to lineman. Guys that can play more than 1 position, maybe aren't the top tier guys on their previous teams, but guys that have skills, good attitudes, willing to learn and be team players. This helped our OL alot and frees us up to make some different choices on draft day. We still need to take an OL in the draft just to keep some fresh blood coming into the group and then let them all fight it out in camp.

BBG7
03-10-2007, 03:55 PM
I like the signing. Welcome to the Steeelrs!!! He also seems to really like Tomlin. Actually it seems as though anyone that knows Tomlin is all about him.

DIESELMAN
03-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Mahan signed a 5 year deal worth just under 3.5 a year. He said he turned down more money elsewhere and stated the following reasons for his decision. The oppurtunity to start at center for a franchise rich in tradition and success at that position. His comfort level with Coach Tomlin and for the tradition, success and historic stability of the Steelers.

Blitzburgh55
03-10-2007, 04:07 PM

I was just making a true statment just becuze i dont love Spencer like everyone else dosent mean i dont like the steelers

BBG7
03-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Mahan signed a 5 year deal worth just under 3.5 a year. He said he turned down more money elsewhere and stated the following reasons for his decision. The oppurtunity to start at center for a franchise rich in tradition and success at that position. His comfort level with Coach Tomlin and for the tradition, success and historic stability of the Steelers.

Gotta love that. Turning down higher offers just because he wants to be with the black and gold!!! :tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-10-2007, 04:14 PM
I was just making a true statment just becuze i dont love Spencer like everyone else dosent mean i dont like the steelers

Have you even watched Spencer play? I watched him many times this year and evertytime I saw him play he was always doing something positive. His 26.5 tackles is an impressive. Is there questions about him playing OLB since he was a DE in college? Well yes there are but thats no different then the times we drafted Jason Gildon, Joey Porter and Clark Haggans who were former DE turned OLB.

If he can't play OLB then he still can play DE in a 4-3 and the Steelers will be using the 4-3 more in the future with Mike Tomlin as HC.

BlackGold4vr
03-10-2007, 04:15 PM

Dude, your posts are 90% negative. I could probably find fans of some of our division rivals who would say more positive things about our team than you do! Why do people find what I said so funny? Probably some truth in there somewhere.

steelcurtaingal
03-10-2007, 04:33 PM
lets just chill for a minute, without attacking eachother and calling them Bengals fans shall we? lol, nobody likes a bame caller. i do think this was a smart decision. he's young, and a good player, and he is versatile. i like it.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I wasn't attacking him but just asking him a question on why he doesn't like Anthony Spencer.

steelcurtaingal
03-10-2007, 04:39 PM
I wasn't attacking him but just asking him a question on why he doesn't like Anthony Spencer.

oh, i know that, but it kinda fit the situation so i said it. we all have the right to our opinions. i personally like him, but he desnt have to.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Well I just want to know why he doesn't like Spencer? I don't mind people having their opinion but state why. Just don't say you don't like someone without backing it up.

SteelersWoman
03-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Gotta love that. Turning down higher offers just because he wants to be with the black and gold!!! :tt02:

I just wish some more of our OWN guys felt that way!

lets just chill for a minute, without attacking eachother and calling them Bengals fans shall we? lol...

:lol:

PsychoWard
03-10-2007, 05:34 PM
very nice pick up!!!

Koopa
03-10-2007, 10:56 PM
a tampa bay fan at TSZ, posted this for me to read so i thought i'd share it with y'all, the article is old but it gives some info on mahan

Nov 14, 2004 -

“It’s never too early to talk about Notre Dame-USC.”

That’s the measured if somewhat biased opinion of Tampa Bay Buccaneer wide receiver and former Golden Domer Tim Brown, spoken on Thursday, 16 days before the latest Trojans-Irish showdown.

Notre Dame has a rich football history, of course, and it’s long-running series with USC is one of the most storied rivalries ever. There have been legendary games and famous performers on both sides.

And while Brown is one of the most high-profile Notre Dame players ever, he isn’t the only Buccaneer who can speak to the rivalry. There is also starting left tackle Derrick Deese, a Trojan almost a decade and a half ago. And, now starting two spots away from Deese on the Bucs’ offensive line, there is center Sean Mahan, a Fighting Irish player as recently as 2002.

Mahan, one of the many NFL players to come out of those two schools, was a fifth-round draft pick of the Buccaneers in 2003, the 168th selection overall. Like most fifth-rounders, his immediate professional profile was relatively low. Now, however, he has been thrust into an important role in a game that carries the type of weight typical of a Notre Dame-USC affair.

A year and a half later after Mahan’s selection, the Buccaneers are awfully glad they grabbed the standout interior lineman when they did. Mahan’s performance at center against Kansas City last week, after John Wade was hurt on the Bucs’ first offensive play, helped Tampa Bay’s offense maintain its ever-improving level of play. With Mahan in the middle, the Bucs racked up 130 rushing yards, 288 passing yards and 34 points.

It was exactly the type of performance a team hopes to get out of a reserve, the kind that allows the rest of the team to continue operating at the same efficiency.

“It wasn’t just me,” said Mahan. “As an O-line we really communicated and played well. (Quarterback Brian) Griese obviously had a great game. Everyone stepped up. Whenever an injury like John Wade’s happens that needs to happen. It wasn’t just me – it was everyone stepping up together.”

Mahan’s sharing of the credit is both accurate and admirable, but one cannot overstate how important his strong performance was in the Bucs’ narrow win over the Chiefs. Locked in a shootout and facing Kansas City blitzes on seemingly every play, the Bucs couldn’t afford tentative or error-filled play from their center, who calls the blocking schemes at the line of scrimmage. Both Griese and Head Coach Jon Gruden were thoroughly impressed by Mahan’s play, and they have the utmost confidence that he can continue to perform well.

A guard in college, Mahan has made the transition to center smoothly and without major difficulty. This may have been eased by his senior season at Notre Dame, when new Head Coach Tyrone Willingham installed a hybrid of the West Coast offense during Mahan’s senior year. While Willingham’s attack is no doubt different than Gruden’s, there are some shared concepts. Mahan and his fellow linemen picked up the scheme quickly and helped the Irish average 143 yards per game on the ground.

“That definitely made things easier,” said Mahan. “We run a lot of similar plays, protections and techniques. Having experience with it beforehand really helps a lot.”

Mahan and the rest of the offensive line will surely be tested today against the unpredictable and aggressive Atlanta defense. Defense Coordinator Ed Donatell and Head Coach Jim Mora are known for their creative blitz packages and pressure fronts, so they will surely test Mahan’s newfound responsibility to make calls for the O-line.

“Knowing that you have to make the protection and running-play calls for the O-line is a big part of playing center,” said Mahan. “Other than that, guard and center are pretty similar.”

The Falcons’ front seven can be imposing, especially on the inside. Defensive tackle Rod Coleman is quick and explosive, as is Chad Lavalais. Nose tackle Ed Jasper is a rock-solid run-stuffer.

Coleman, in particular, has given opponents fits in the middle, and he’s back this week after a three-game absence due to a knee injury. If the Buccaneers hope to duplicate last week’s success on the ground and through the air, they know they must neutralize Coleman. Some of the onus for slowing down the Falcon D-line will fall on Mahan’s shoulders, as he must make pre-snap adjustments on many plays.

According to Griese, Mahan did a fine job last week of adjusting to Kansas City’s pressure fronts. If that is any indication, the Buccaneers O-line will be in good shape against the equally aggressive Falcons.

Coming from Notre Dame, Mahan knows what it’s like to play with high expectations. As he has quickly learned since joining the Buccaneers, the goal in Tampa is no different from that in South Bend, and that is simply to emerge victorious.

“I want to help this team win every game,” said Mahan. “Our goal is to get to the Super Bowl just like everyone else.”

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2007, 01:09 AM
This dude is going to be a very good fit for us, and with that money he's getting, I'd be he's the odd's on favorite to win that starting job. You never know who will step up though from our current roster so we'll see. TC is going to be awesome to watch this year.

Captcoolhand
03-11-2007, 03:07 AM
PITTSBURGH (AP) - Offensive lineman Sean Mahan became the Pittsburgh Steelers' first free agent pickup of the off-season, agreeing Saturday to a five-year contract.
Mahan, formerly of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, will compete with backup Chukky Okobi and right guard Kendall Simmons to replace former Pro Bowl center Jeff Hartings, who retired after last season.
Mahan, a fifth-round pick from Notre Dame in 2003, started eight games at centre in 2004 before switching to guard. He started 16 games at right guard in 2005 and 12 games at left guard last season.
it's about time

TEEMONT
03-11-2007, 03:23 AM

Dude, come on, this is a good signing. And start scrubbing your posts, you are barely typing english.

SteelCityMan786
03-11-2007, 12:34 PM
This signing should turn up the pressure on ol Alan this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Dude, come on, this is a good signing. And start scrubbing your posts, you are barely typing english.

Is that what you call it, english ? :lol:

TEEMONT
03-11-2007, 02:07 PM

They could sign God himself to play guard, and it wouldn't put pressure on Faneca.

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-11-2007, 02:17 PM

This is a good signing for the team. I wouldn't just write Chukky off yet he has played well when called upon.

How does this put pressure on Faneca ?? :dunno:

Captcoolhand
03-11-2007, 02:21 PM
This is a good signing for the team. I wouldn't just write Chukky off yet he has played well when called upon.

How does this put pressure on Faneca ?? :dunno:
Ya but it would free up 2 Mil. in Cap space:yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Mahan can play guard so he's versatile like that, but he was brought in to compete at Center mainly. His ability to play guard is just a bonus in case we ever need it.

K Train
03-11-2007, 07:25 PM
check this out, lots of mixed feelings

http://bbs.pewterreport.com/index.php?topic=7015.0

SteelerNation
03-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Mahan welcome to pittsburgh i hope you like it here.!

TEEMONT
03-11-2007, 07:33 PM
check this out, lots of mixed feelings

http://bbs.pewterreport.com/index.php?topic=7015.0

Eh, you'll get that anywhere though, just look at the mixed feelings this site had when we cut Joey. Opinions are like *******s, everyone has them, and lots of them stink.