PDA

View Full Version : Jim Wexell: laying odds on who we draft

BlackGold4vr
03-04-2007, 11:14 PM
By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Mar 4, 2007

Serious students of Steelers football already know the team will stick with its 3-4 base defense, so our odds reflect that interest. Here are our first-round odds as we begin our 2007 draft series:

* At 25-1, Auburn guard Ben Grubbs.

* At 20-1, Cal running back Marshawn Lynch.

* At 15-1, LSU receiver, Dwayne Bowe.

* At 12-1, cornerbacks Leon Hall and Darrelle Revis.

* At 10-1, linebackers Lawrence Timmons and Patrick Willis.

Now, the 3-4 defenders:

* Aaron Smith clone Adam Carriker is 6-1.

* Florida pass-rusher Jarvis Moss is 5-1.

* And Purdue tweener Anthony Spencer is our early morning favorite at 4-1.

This is just an outline. We’ll narrow the list as we go along. Tomorrow, we’ll begin to explain these opening odds.

Surely this news will be greeted with some joy! Anthony Spencer at 4-1, not bad! I will follow this storyline closely and keep you all posted!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-04-2007, 11:19 PM
By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Mar 4, 2007

Surely this news will be greeted with some joy! Anthony Spencer at 4-1, not bad! I will follow this storyline closely and keep you all posted!

I'm really happy Anthony Spencer is the early favorite according to this poll. But I would be happy with Moss, Carriker also. I also wouldn't mind Dwayne Bowe. But DE/OLB is the bigger need.

BlackGold4vr
03-04-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm really happy Anthony Spencer is the early favorite according to this poll. But I would be happy with Moss, Carriker also. I also wouldn't mind Dwayne Bowe. But DE/OLB is the bigger need.

These are the thoughts of a couple of longtime Pittsburgh sportswriters, Jim Wexell and Dave Lolley.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2007, 01:56 AM
Bring on Spencer, the dude could be a beast for us :tt02:

BlackGold4vr
03-05-2007, 07:42 AM
If we draft Spencer I believe he will be fighting it out with James Harrison for the starting ROLB spot. If Harrison won he (Spencer) could be used as a substitute defensive player for DE or OLB. And I believe that Haggans will play his last year with us and next year he will be the cap casualty. Farrior is also getting old but he is still a beast for us! He led the Steelers in tackles last year by a substantial amount. :yesnod:

BlackGold4vr
03-05-2007, 10:41 AM
This is my guess on the order of precedence to this years draft by position and some names that I think are possibilities!

1. DE/OLB Spencer/Moss/Carriker
2. RB Hunt/Leonard/Bush
3. OL Blalock/Ramirez
4. LB Tim Shaw
5. CB Eric Weddle
6. P Daniel Sepulveda
7. WR Steve Smith

We'll see on April 28th how far off we were or how close we were! :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2007, 01:01 PM
This is my guess on the order of precedence to this years draft by position and some names that I think are possibilities!

1. DE/OLB Spencer/Moss/Carriker
2. RB Hunt/Leonard/Bush
3. OL Blalock/Ramirez
4. LB Tim Shaw
5. CB Eric Weddle
6. P Daniel Sepulveda
7. WR Steve Smith

We'll see on April 28th how far off we were or how close we were! :lol:

Now that would be sweet draft.

Blitzburgh55
03-05-2007, 06:41 PM
i want Javis Moss not Spencer

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM
These are the thoughts of a couple of longtime Pittsburgh sportswriters, Jim Wexell and Dave Lolley.

Well sorry my mistake Christ.:bluelol:

K Train
03-05-2007, 06:53 PM
you really think Steve Smith is gonna fall that far....7th round? i think hes gonna be a solid pro.

Also, Daniel Sepulveda is the man.....just sayin.

Right now im split between moss and spencer, moss has been impressing me

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
you really think Steve Smith is gonna fall that far....7th round? i think hes gonna be a solid pro.

Yea I'm impressed with Moss as well Ktrain and thats saying something since Spencer is my guy. Dude we need to spend a 4th on your punter especially since the Steelers might get an extra 4th round pick or two for lossing a couple free agents last year.

K Train
03-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Sepulveda is gonna be a superstar of a punter.....bet on it

Koopa
03-05-2007, 07:36 PM

yeah i'm kinda wanting moss too, but i wouldn't mind spencer

i'd be pissed as hell if we get carriker i'll hope for a complete bust.......

Koopa
03-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Sepulveda is gonna be a superstar of a punter.....bet on it

what sucks is, we might sign that young punter from the 49ers who was ranked 7th among punters, so sepulveda might not be a superstar with us

K Train
03-05-2007, 07:43 PM

**** carriker

what sucks is, we might sign that young punter from the 49ers who was ranked 7th among punters, so sepulveda might not be a superstar with us
I dont get that at all, why give up a draft pick for this guy when you can just draft the best punter of all time?

BlackGold4vr
03-05-2007, 07:48 PM
you really think Steve Smith is gonna fall that far....7th round?

Yes, I do! He is being ranked as the 26th receiver in the draft. When you include all the free agent signings I believe he will drop that far. He would be a great pick-up for us. I think he would be that Hines Ward kinda receiver with a great work ethic! I hope we draft him! :banana:

K Train
03-05-2007, 07:54 PM
wow im kinda surprised.....can you say Marques Colston?

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2007, 08:23 PM

Ok Koopa if the Steelers draft Carriker you would hope he would be a bust? That doesn't make much sense.:bluelol: Whoever the Steelers draft I hope he turns into a badass. I like Anthony Spencer but if Jarvis Moss is drafted then I would hope Moss blows Spencer out of the water as an NFL player. Samething with Carriker.

I agree LB is the bigger need but check the age of our defense line. They're getting up there. All are around 30 or older. So the Steelers better start drafting for Dline in the near future. Not saying this draft but next year it might not be a bad idea.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Yes, I do! He is being ranked as the 26th receiver in the draft. When you include all the free agent signings I believe he will drop that far. He would be a great pick-up for us. I think he would be that Hines Ward kinda receiver with a great work ethic! I hope we draft him! :banana:

BlackGold if you felt this good about Smith why not just draft him the 5th round to make sure you get him? I agree this guy could be a good NFL WR.

Koopa
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Ok Koopa if the Steelers draft Carriker you would hope he would be a bust? That doesn't make much sense.:bluelol: Whoever the Steelers draft I hope he turns into a badass. I like Anthony Spencer but if Jarvis Moss is drafted then I would hope Moss blows Spencer out of the water as an NFL player. Samething with Carriker.

I agree LB is the bigger need but check the age of our defense line. They're getting up there. All are around 30 or older. So the Steelers better start drafting for Dline in the near future. Not saying this draft but next year it might not be a bad idea.

yes i would, i'd hope he comes in late to training camp for more money, and then i hope he is a bust for making such an unnecessary pick when we could've had moss who steps up in BIG games

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2007, 08:57 PM
yes i would, i'd hope he comes in late to training camp for more money, and then i hope he is a bust for making such an unnecessary pick when we could've had moss who steps up in BIG games

I agree I rather have Moss then Carriker and OLB is a bigger need. Just saying whover the Steelers draft I hope they do well. I just don't understand why you would root against a Steelers player?

Koopa
03-05-2007, 09:19 PM
I agree I rather have Moss then Carriker and OLB is a bigger need. Just saying whover the Steelers draft I hope they do well. I just don't understand why you would root against a Steelers player?

because he shouldn't be on the steelers, he'd be a huge waste of a draft pick and i'd have no other choice but to root against a mistake

with me, players come and go, my loyalty is with the steelers, not the players, if i don't like a player i'm gonna hope they fail so they'll be gone lol

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2007, 09:22 PM
because he shouldn't be on the steelers, he'd be a huge waste of a draft pick and i'd have no other choice but to root against a mistake

Ok but just saying I would root for any player on the Steelers even if I didn't agree with the pick. Hell there has been a ton picks that I questioned by the Steelers but I still rooted for those picks to succeed. I'm not getting on your case so I hope you didn't take it that way. Just chatting with you.

So if Carriker is drafted I take it we are going to hear all season **** Carriker I hope he sucks from you?:bluelol:

BlackGold4vr
03-05-2007, 09:51 PM
The article has Spencer as 4-1 odds and Moss as 5-1. I just hope that Moss's marijuana incident will not scare off the Rooney's for fear of that "Bengal factor" with character issues. We don't need a player who will make the headlines for the wrong reasons! I have nothing against any player who wants to smoke up like Cheech Marin.......after they retire! Just not while they are playing on our team and are an integral part of our team! (A.K.A. Ricky Williams). Look at Quincy Carter. Just saw a show about him and he threw his NFL career away for marijuana! Would hate to pick a guy who followed that path. Some players are not mature enough to handle the temptations that come with all that money! There is also a bad reputation with players from the "U". I wouldn't hold it against him but that could be the deciding factor between the 2 guys! I think Carriker is more of a longshot than 6-1. I think a third name is Timmons. :flex:

Koopa
03-05-2007, 10:18 PM
The article has Spencer as 4-1 odds and Moss as 5-1. I just hope that Moss's marijuana incident will not scare off the Rooney's for fear of that "Bengal factor" with character issues. We don't need a player who will make the headlines for the wrong reasons! I have nothing against any player who wants to smoke up like Cheech Marin.......after they retire! Just not while they are playing on our team and are an integral part of our team! (A.K.A. Ricky Williams). Look at Quincy Carter. Just saw a show about him and he threw his NFL career away for marijuana! Would hate to pick a guy who followed that path. Some players are not mature enough to handle the temptations that come with all that money! There is also a bad reputation with players from the "U". I wouldn't hold it against him but that could be the deciding factor between the 2 guys! I think Carriker is more of a longshot than 6-1. I think a third name is Timmons. :flex:

i thought it was cocaine for quincy carter.............

moss seems to have learned his lesson, and doesn't seem like a bad character guy, he's young, we all make mistakes at his age, i ain't there yet, but i've made mistakes before lol

K Train
03-05-2007, 10:31 PM
listen, im gonna say this one more time.....**** carriker.....we already have one. nextly we need OLBs NOW not later, and this year is stacked. Moss and spencer have both tore it up, and they have done everything right thus far. I havent heard a bad word about either one of them since i started getting into this years draft hardcore. Both moss and spencer will be there at 15 because adams if flawless in his game and anderson is VERY overrated, so theres 2 DEs that go before our guys. Now carikker.....hes a bitch, we dont need him or want him...at least not at this point.

Hell i would even say we need another one in the later rounds....mabey if Moses drops to the 4th or 5th (which he might since he really screwed his **** up) who knows, he might be worth taking a chance on in the later rounds, hes got the raw talent, he just needs to get his head in the game a little more and focus on training, the lineman only get bigger at the next level.

BlackGold4vr
03-05-2007, 10:38 PM
i thought it was cocaine for quincy carter......

Just saw a show about him and it was marijuana. In fact he was playing semi-pro football for a couple hundred bucks a game and was just arrested again recently for possession........marijuana! He cried during the documentary about the opportunities that he threw away!

:crying: