PDA

View Full Version : Where is our free agent help?

BlackGold4vr
03-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I was definitely hoping for at least 1 or 2 free agent signings to help with our areas of concern! I don't expect the Steelers to be big spenders in free agency, we never are! But picking up a proven veteran in a position that you are thin at makes sense to me. I realize that traditionally the Steelers are a team that builds through the draft but 1 or 2 moderately priced free agents could help alleviate draft day concerns! Lots of transactions happening so far and our only involvement has been to throw our best linebacker into the pool! Hell, while New England upgrades from Banta Cain to Adalius Thomas, we Steeler fans are sitting here hoping to catch a New England cast-off. It appears that one thing will be certain about next years team........it will be younger! Better? Jury is still out on that! :scratch:

Friday133
03-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Have you been following the Steelers during free agency at all since its started? They never get involved early on, they wait and let the market return to normal and go looking for a mid tier player.

Captcoolhand
03-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Have you been following the Steelers during free agency at all since its started? They never get involved early on, they wait and let the market return to normal and go looking for a mid tier player.
:yesnod: I agree:bigthumb:This way they don't have to pay as much

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2007, 10:15 AM
It's hard to sit here sometimes and watch all these good players go to other teams while we do nothing but let our own guys join the fun. As a team that's built through the draft you'd think it would be easier to handle but it still makes you wonder sometimes, "I wonder how much that player could have helped us too" ?

We do normally wait till mid off season before we start looking to sign any FA help, basically the polar opposite of most teams. Others will take FA guys first and then use the draft to fill in the holes while we wait for the draft to address needs then look to the FA pool to fill in the holes. I enjoy this line of thinking and I think we build our team the way it should be, with young guys that we groom for our system rather than having to retrain guys from another system. The majority of the time FA's never perform as well for another team as they did for the original team, but damn they sure do cash in come contract time dont they ? :eek:

Friday133
03-04-2007, 10:15 AM
:yesnod: I agree:bigthumb:This way they don't have to pay as much

You're totally right. There is no way in life they would pay the kind of money the 49ers paid for Clements.

Friday133
03-04-2007, 10:16 AM
TG we let one guy go to free agency. Its not that big of a deal, a smart move actually. They way you tell it, it seems the Steelers are doomed. Take a step back from the ledge. Its obvious one of your favorite players got cut and your pissed, but come on its not that bad.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Hey wait a minute, Im actually agreeing with you in my post, for once. If you read it you can see that I agree with the way the Steelers run their FA strategy and I like building a team through the draft rather than FA like other teams do. I wonder though sometimes how much player would help us, it's only natural.

Yes Im pissed about Joey leaving but I wasn't even referring to him in particular in that post, I was making a general statement about how we normally approach FA.

BB2W
03-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Where is our free agent help every year?... Steelers are never big players in free agency, and I'm glad the way some teams overpay for these guys.

BlackGold4vr
03-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Just my Opinion.....With a 4 million dollar cap hit for Clarke Haggans I would have preferred that they dumped him and used some of the money to resign Porter. Then let the DE/OLB that everybody feels we will draft 1st and James Harrison compete for that OLB spot vacated by Haggans. IMO that would have been a better move to strengthen our defense for this coming year! As of now we are weak IMO at both OLB spots and now look to strengthen those spots with James Harrison (who has been injury prone) and a rookie. I certainly hope we get a quality player with that 1st pick because it sure looks like our defensive success will be counting on it! :crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Just my Opinion.....With a 4 million dollar cap hit for Clarke Haggans I would have preferred that they dumped him and used some of the money to resign Porter. Then let the DE/OLB that everybody feels we will draft 1st and James Harrison compete for that OLB spot vacated by Haggans. IMO that would have been a better move to strengthen our defense for this coming year! As of now we are weak IMO at both OLB spots and now look to strengthen those spots with James Harrison (who has been injury prone) and a rookie. I certainly hope we get a quality player with that 1st pick because it sure looks like our defensive success will be counting on it! :crossfingers:

:plus1: :iagree: That's what Ive been thinking as well, to me that makes much more sense. Neither Porter nor Haggans had a stellar year but overall Joey is a much better LB than Haggans is. Had we taken the cap hit that Haggans was worth, combined it with what Joey already counted we could have easily signed for for 4 more years for about the same hit that he is now and still saved money in the long run with how well we work the cap. Then you still take a top notch OLB/DE prospect in the 2007 draft and groom them to take over.

TEEMONT
03-04-2007, 01:38 PM

B/C dumping Joey was a power move by Tomlin, plain and simple.

BlackGold4vr
03-04-2007, 02:48 PM
B/C dumping Joey was a power move by Tomlin, plain and simple.

Moves that weaken your team and make it more vulnerable are not smart IMO! Difference in salary between Haggans and Porter was 1 million. Is there a Steeler fan out there that doesn't think Porter was a much bigger asset to our team than Haggans was? I wanted them to get rid of Haggans anyway, not because of salary cap but because I thought we could do better at that position with just about anybody else playing there! Had we kept Porter and added another OLB who could pressure the QB and was a stout run stopper we woulda been set! Now what I see is question marks at BOTH OLB spots! This has nothing to do with my attachments to any one player.....Porter was a much bigger asset to our team than Haggans is! So IMO we just weakened our team and made the already perceived weakness (Haggans spot) even worse because we kept him! :dunno:

tony hipchest
03-04-2007, 03:12 PM
our big free agent signings will probably be aaron smith and davenport. our biggest splashi is always in house. next year will be polamalu. now if we can find a hell of a deal like we did when the jets cut farrior you can bet we will jump on it.

Friday133
03-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Sounds like a few people here don't seem to care for Mr. Tomlin. Maybe they're the source of the firemiketomlin.com site. Just saying.

Iron City South
03-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Like it or not, Tomlin is our man. Personally, I like the guy and think the Porter dumping is not only not-surprising, it's absolutely and unquestionably the right move to make.

Porter gave us his best years and for that I wish him the best. If the Steelers would have given him the big money contract that he's seeking, most of you would have been bitching and complaining for every mediocre game he played and calling him the next coming of Jason Gildon (Joey Gildong). He deserves better than that.

At least we now have some cap room to work out a few deals and think about some new young talent that will be here for the years to come. :tt02:

TEEMONT
03-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Sounds like a few people here don't seem to care for Mr. Tomlin. Maybe they're the source of the firemiketomlin.com site. Just saying.

Yeah, you caught me. I want the man fired before he ever coaches a game. Just b/c i think this is a power move, doesn't mean I have anything against Tomlin.

Like I stated before, I'm pissed that he is cut, and it's going to take awhile before I get over it.

BBC
03-04-2007, 08:12 PM
:plus1: :iagree: That's what Ive been thinking as well, to me that makes much more sense. Neither Porter nor Haggans had a stellar year but overall Joey is a much better LB than Haggans is. Had we taken the cap hit that Haggans was worth, combined it with what Joey already counted we could have easily signed for for 4 more years for about the same hit that he is now and still saved money in the long run with how well we work the cap. Then you still take a top notch OLB/DE prospect in the 2007 draft and groom them to take over.

I wouldn't agree that Joey is a much better linebacker than Haggans is. Sure, Joey is louder than Haggans and draws a lot more attention to himself, but Haggans has put up comparable numbers to Joey for the last three years now. He does it without nearly as much recognition as Joey, and he doesn't have the leadership or emotion that Joey brought, but I certainly wouldn't say that Joey is a much better linebacker than Clark.

It's a shame that Joey had to go, and if I had to pick one of the two, it would be Joey in a heartbeat, but I've known Joey was gone this season since last off-season. It had very little to do with the hiring of Tomlin...it was inevitable.

kgreen
03-04-2007, 09:11 PM
You're totally right. There is no way in life they would pay the kind of money the 49ers paid for Clements.

8 yrs, 60 million, thats nuts. I don't care who you are, you don't deserve that much.

Friday133
03-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Like it or not, Tomlin is our man. Personally, I like the guy and think the Porter dumping is not only not-surprising, it's absolutely and unquestionably the right move to make.

Porter gave us his best years and for that I wish him the best. If the Steelers would have given him the big money contract that he's seeking, most of you would have been bitching and complaining for every mediocre game he played and calling him the next coming of Jason Gildon (Joey Gildong). He deserves better than that.

At least we now have some cap room to work out a few deals and think about some new young talent that will be here for the years to come. :tt02:

I agree 110% with your post. :plus1:

BBG7
03-04-2007, 09:44 PM

Hey there were things Cowher did that I didn't agree with either. I don't think you have to agree with every decision the HC or front office makes to like the coach or the franchise.