PDA

View Full Version : Joey Porter.....Upstanding Guy?

Steelerlyn
03-03-2007, 11:22 PM
From the quotes I have heard Porter is thankful to the Steelers for his time there and appreciates being cut at the right time. Maybe he planned on holding out anyway and this gives him the opportunity to score big and be shown some love. I don't like the statements on the NFL channel that he would fit great in Cincy, but we have no say. For all of Joey's brash pre-game talk he has always been a nice guy supported the city. A friend of mine met him his rookie year and when she asked him to pose for a photo with her he said no problem " I ain't big time" . I've heard almost the same thing from the many fans who love Joey a few times since and he has always been funny and somewhat humble. Goes to show your TV personality is not the same as your actual personality. I wish him well.

Koopa
03-03-2007, 11:33 PM
porter is pure class, and i'm gonna miss him, but it was time to cut the cord, he wants something the front office isn't willing to give him.......no point in dragging this out and having a potential hold out and a problem, now we can plan right now on what we need instead of having to scrap at the last min, and porter can go somewhere while teams still have a lot of cap space instead of scrapping to find a new team........ it's a win win situation in a sense

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Joey Porter was always great to the fans and very appreciative of his success to the Rooneys and BC. Say what you want about him or how you felt about his actions on the field but the guy was a father, husband, all around family man would never forget where he came from and what it meant to play in the NFL.

K Train
03-03-2007, 11:46 PM
just cause he was a hardcore badass doesnt mean he isnt a nice guy......kinda like me :ktrain:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2007, 11:46 PM
It was a class move by Joey Porter not to rip the Rooneys/Steelers organization for him being cut. I wish Joey the best and hope he has a great career the rest of the way. Except against the Steelers.

BlitzburghNation
03-03-2007, 11:54 PM
It was a class move by Joey Porter not to rip the Rooneys/Steelers organization for him being cut. I wish Joey the best and hope he has a great career the rest of the way. Except against the Steelers.

:iagree: Well put !

K Train
03-04-2007, 12:08 AM
unless he goes to the bengals/ravens....then he can burn

floodcitygirl
03-04-2007, 12:16 AM
unless he goes to the bengals/ravens....then he can burnHere comes that nauseous feeling again......

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2007, 01:10 AM
unless he goes to the bengals/ravens....then he can burn

This place will not be pretty if that happens cuz all hell will break loose if Porter ever puts on a Purple jersey ! :banging:

K Train
03-04-2007, 01:12 AM
i hate the bengals WAY more than the rats, and thats saying something...the scumbags are in the running for him so lets :crossfingers:

Koopa
03-04-2007, 01:17 AM
This place will not be pretty if that happens cuz all hell will break loose if Porter ever puts on a Purple jersey ! :banging:

i know this sounds messed up, but if he dawns a jersey of any team in our division i will hope for a career ending injury..........but if he goes anywhere else i'll still support him unless he's playing against the steelers lol

K Train
03-04-2007, 01:20 AM
he can go to the browns....i feel bad for those pathetic ****ers, he would just fail there....but i agree, if he is a rat or scum......i laugh at his pain

House of Steel
03-04-2007, 01:25 AM
I see Porter in Dallas, San Francisco, or Miami.

Koopa
03-04-2007, 01:27 AM
I see Porter in Dallas, San Francisco, or Miami.

i wouldn't mind him going to dallas, i'd get to see him play every week

BlitzburghNation
03-04-2007, 01:29 AM
I think he's gonna be a 49er or a giant !
or at least i hope he winds up in the nfc ,,,,

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2007, 01:31 AM
i know this sounds messed up, but if he dawns a jersey of any team in our division i will hope for a career ending injury..........but if he goes anywhere else i'll still support him unless he's playing against the steelers lol

:ditto: :whistle: :lol:

Koopa
03-04-2007, 01:32 AM
I think he's gonna be a 49er or a giant !
or at least i hope he winds up in the nfc ,,,,

i just looked at the scedule, and if he signs with the 49ers we'd play him in pitt........that would be a great game lol

K Train
03-04-2007, 01:37 AM
no it wouldnt, it would be a massacre lol..........he'd be vicious in dallas, him and d ware, carpenter to the inside.....wow

Koopa
03-04-2007, 01:41 AM
no it wouldnt, it would be a massacre lol..........he'd be vicious in dallas, him and d ware, carpenter to the inside.....wow

carpenter= bust

but him and dware would be badass together

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2007, 01:43 AM
if we do play him at some point Im sure the fans will give him a huge cheer. I can't see anybody booing him in Pittsburgh unless he goes to the Ratbirds then he deserves what he gets :lol:

Koopa
03-04-2007, 01:44 AM
if we do play him at some point Im sure the fans will give him a huge cheer. I can't see anybody booing him in Pittsburgh unless he goes to the Ratbirds then he deserves what he gets :lol:

or unless steelerdan and friday are there :lol:

K Train
03-04-2007, 01:49 AM
carpenter= bust

but him and dware would be badass together

i dont think hes a bust, yet.....he could be badass in the middle, they were trying to make him out to be AJ Hawk....not even close. And then greg ellis is still around, that would be a vicious group of LBs.....i dont think porter will end up there though

floodcitygirl
03-04-2007, 02:18 AM
i hate the bengals WAY more than the rats, and thats saying something...the scumbags are in the running for him so lets :crossfingers:OMG! I don't even want to think about it. There will be no living here if that happens....

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2007, 10:16 AM
or unless steelerdan and friday are there :lol:

:rofl:

BB2W
03-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Here is a video from his local news where Joey talks...

link: http://www.kget.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=15601#top

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Great vid, thanks for posting it up dude ! Definitely one to add to my porter collection !

DIESELMAN
03-04-2007, 02:02 PM
I wish him well wherever he goes. If he does ever play against us he will be pumped up to prove we should've kept him no matter the cost. I do hope he lands in the NFC cuz Karma is a mother ****er :lol:

BBG7
03-04-2007, 04:13 PM
It will make me ill to see him on any team in our division. I am having a VERY BAD feeling that might be the case too. I hope not, it would be hard, but I understand it's a business. I just hope and pray that it doens't happen because I like the guy and if he goes to a divisional team I will probably hate him.

SteelerFan87
03-04-2007, 11:34 PM
I'd like to see him go to the Cardinals or Dolphins and have a Chad Brown type post-Steelers career, rather than an Earl Holmes or Kendrell Bell or Greg Lloyd type post-Steelers career.

TampaSteelGirl
03-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Well i'm really gonna miss him alot!!! It's a shame he won't retired a Steeler like I was hoping he would and if the Rooneys won't pay him the money he's worth i sure hope he receives the money he wants. I wish him the best of luck but it's going to be really had to not see him this year!! :cursin:

TampaSteelGirl
03-05-2007, 01:11 PM
It will make me ill to see him on any team in our division. I am having a VERY BAD feeling that might be the case too. I hope not, it would be hard, but I understand it's a business. I just hope and pray that it doens't happen because I like the guy and if he goes to a divisional team I will probably hate him.

I agree girl!!! It's going to be so hard to watch!!! I think he's going to have a great year though whoever he gets with. Bad for us!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2007, 01:36 PM
He's mainly looking to stay closer to home, in Bakersfield CA. but if another team comes out with a ton of money he'd consider going wherever.

Just stay out of the AFCN Joey !

BlackGold4vr
03-05-2007, 01:48 PM
INDIVIDUAL DEFENSE
PLAYER TCKL SOLO ASST SCK FUM REC FF
1. James Farrior 126 84 42 4.0 1 2
2. Larry Foote 89 62 27 4.0 1 2
3. Clark Haggans 77 52 25 6.0 1 2
4. Joey Porter 55 40 15 7.0 0 0

These were the stats for our 4 starting linebackers in 2006. I know stats can be misleading because teams may have run to our left side more often and away from Porter! Haggans had 22 more tackles, 12 more solo tackles, 10 more assists, 1 less sack. I will be very interested in looking at these numbers after this next year and see how Porters replacement did! :scratch:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Im anxious to see how both of our OLB's do next year, whoever they are, and how well they compare to our starters in the past. We don't change OLB's all that often compared to some teams so I want to see how our new group will react and perform.

K Train
03-05-2007, 07:16 PM
stats are so misleading its not even funny, he didnt put up better #s than haggans because he got WAYYY more attention than haggans, he was a force out there and they were gameplaning to stop him, not to mention he was great at short pass coverage.

Im not sayin his play hasnt declined a bit, but those stats make him seem worthless when thats not the case at all

BBG7
03-06-2007, 02:31 AM
stats are so misleading its not even funny, he didnt put up better #s than haggans because he got WAYYY more attention than haggans, he was a force out there and they were gameplaning to stop him, not to mention he was great at short pass coverage.

Im not sayin his play hasnt declined a bit, but those stats make him seem worthless when thats not the case at all

you are 100% correct. You have to weigh the stats...and yes, sometimes, stats lie. If that's all you rely on, you will never get the full picture!

SteelerNation
03-06-2007, 03:16 AM
The way i see it is porter has aways and will aways be a steeler with that said if he joins the clowns , bunglas, ratbirds. he will become the most hated man in pittsburgh and i wont be surprized if he gets shot again IMO!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-06-2007, 10:03 AM

:plus1: The intangibles combined with all the facts of what he's asked to do on the field are factor in to making him such a valuable player for us and he'll do the same for whoever he goes to next.

If he was just put on the field to rush the passer the guy would be in double digit sacks every year and have double the amount of tackles he averages now.

Stairwayto7
03-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Joey is a FIN! Thanks for the memories!

TampaSteelGirl
03-07-2007, 10:17 AM
I"m going to miss screaming at the TV at him during games!!!

steelcurtaingal
03-07-2007, 10:55 AM
As long as hhe is out of the AFC north, i am a perfectly happy woman:greengrin:

SteelerFan87
03-07-2007, 11:01 AM
I"m going to miss screaming at the TV at him during games!!!

There's always the Fins/Pats games... :dunno: