PDA

View Full Version : Looking to trade Staley

Steelx
08-23-2006, 10:05 AM
One NFL general manager said the Pittsburgh Steelers have been shopping running back Duce Staley, trying to see if any team would be willing to trade for him before the team would have to release him. It makes sense. Pittsburgh's backfield is chock full with Willie Parker entrenched as a starter, Verron Haynes as his backup, and running backs John Kuhn, Brandon Jones and Cedric Humes also vying for roster spots.

Pittsburgh's depth at the position makes it possible for it to deal Staley. Yet if Staley is sent packing from Pittsburgh either through a trade or a release, one possible landing spot would seem to be the Philadelphia Eagles who, to date, have not had any trade conversations with the Steelers. Should Staley be released, and it is within the realm of possibility, the Eagles could be on the list of teams interested in his services.

SOURCE (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9614245)

BlitzburghRockCity
08-23-2006, 10:55 AM
hhmmm, even though this is from an NFL source I don't know how much stock I'd put into it just yet. Cowher has been awful anxious to get Duce back on the field and see what he can do to help the team. All of our depth behind willie and verron are rookies so Im not quite sure BC is ready to put the bread n butter of our offense in the hands of a rookie in the event of some injury issues that could come up.

Steelerlyn
08-23-2006, 01:18 PM
hhmmm, even though this is from an NFL source I don't know how much stock I'd put into it just yet. Cowher has been awful anxious to get Duce back on the field and see what he can do to help the team. All of our depth behind willie and verron are rookies so Im not quite sure BC is ready to put the bread n butter of our offense in the hands of a rookie in the event of some injury issues that could come up.

Good point BRC there is alot of talent on that bench and we may see more of it.

AZ_Steeler
08-23-2006, 01:40 PM
I would really hate to see Duce go, especially after hearing how unselfish he was last year! Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the Vikings game but I have heard he didn't look all that great :dunno:

I watched the Cardinals game again and I really like what I saw. He was basically playing behind a mixture of 1st and 2nd stringers, then mostly 2nd string as the game went on, considering the previous though he really made the most out of the situation. There were a few plays he should have been dropped in the backfield but he saw the blitz spun away and picked up positive yards. The guy can only do as much as his front line gives him though and I personally really want to see him stick around... at least one more year...

Like you say though BRC, there is a lot of talent on the bench, so when it comes down to it room does need to be made somewhere. I would hate to see another Vrabel incident...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Remember back when we traded for Jerome in the draft. Everybody and their brother had us pegged to take Mike Allstott with our 1st round pick but afterwards everyone realized that when you have a team that relies so much on the run that putting it in the hands of a rookie wasn't the best choice.

We do have willie and verron which makes for a good 1-2 punch at RB even if Staley does leave but I'd bet money Cowher would love nothing more than to see Duce stick around and play great and give us 3 valid RB's in the stable.

Steelersfan
08-23-2006, 02:11 PM
That's the same reason I can't see him leaving BRC. It just doesn't make sense to get rid of your only veteran RB when you rely on the run so much. That and I still think Staley can help us.

AZ_Steeler
08-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Here is an article that may or may not shed some more light on the situation centredaily.com (http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/15343126.htm) Apparently, Cowher has opted not to name a replacement for the Bus, which could equate to Willie getting more touches around the goalline.

I'm not sure if this means the Steeleers are going to go away from the big bruising back around the goalline, or if Duce can't fill that roll of the Bus primarily because he may not be around? The comments in the article have me thinking the Steelers might be looking for someone else to get for Duce besides a running back. Besides it's not like every team has a big back that is up for trade...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-23-2006, 07:33 PM
They've talked previously about Willie keeping the ball on the goal line in certain situations because he does run with some power and he also squirt threw some small goal line cracks to break the plane. You still gotta have a big power back to get you short yardage and be able to run over people now and then. Whether thats going to be Verron or Duce remains to be seen.

Steelersfan
08-24-2006, 12:50 AM
I hope to hell we don't go back to that mess we had a few years back. You know the one that Bettis lost his job to AZ and we were pass happy. I love Ben but I don't want to see that again anytime soon......lol