PDA

View Full Version : Initial talks with Faneca going nowhere fast

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2007, 07:41 AM
From the Post Gazette...

And, while they were busy extending defensive end Aaron Smith's contract earlier in the week, there has been no such progress made with their All-Pro guard who has been to the past six Pro Bowls. There does not appear to be a new contract for Faneca on the horizon.

This would really suck because as thin as we are with experience at LB when we let Joey go, we're just as thin with experience at Guard. This is early on and we don't know yet what will happen, things can change at a moments notice and have in the past on countless occasions but Im really hoping we get Alan locked up, the OL is too important to our future and we have enough change already as it is with a new Center and possibly new RG & RT.

BlackGold4vr
03-03-2007, 10:20 AM
From the Post Gazette...

This would really suck because as thin as we are with experience at LB when we let Joey go, we're just as thin with experience at Guard. This is early on and we don't know yet what will happen, things can change at a moments notice and have in the past on countless occasions but Im really hoping we get Alan locked up, the OL is too important to our future and we have enough change already as it is with a new Center and possibly new RG & RT.

:plus1:

I agree with everything you said above! However, Faneca's age is going to play a factor here, depending on what he and his agent are demanding! He is too old to offer any kind of long term deal and he could also be considered on the back side of his career! Let me ask you this. Would you say Faneca's best years are behind him or ahead of him? I would pick behind him! He's great and he will likely enter the HOF someday but his best days are behind him! I would love to keep him and see him retire a Steeler just like anybody else but depending upon what his demands are that may not be possible! If we can get him signed to a 4 year deal I believe it will be his last! :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Im hoping he'll take a 4 yr deal to be honest with ya. If he'll take a 4 yr deal, give him a nice fat signing bonus, a modest yearly salary and then backload the last year of the deal with a ton of incentives I'd hope he'll take it. That would allow him to finish his career with us. His age will play a role in this for sure, however Im hoping unlike with Joey that the team realizes and remembers just how bad everybody played last year and that a solid OL is absolutely vital and most key to Ben's success in the future. If we start out the year with a new Center, RG, RT, and LG, you can bet your last dollar we will struggle and Ben will too, atleast in the early goings. Im tempted to say give Alan whatever he wants because he's still playing at a high level, but that's probably too much to ask in this day and age.

I would say the dude has a solid 4 yrs left in the league to be dominant at the level he's been. Is he going to improve and get better? No, he's already at his peek now.

BlackGold4vr
03-03-2007, 11:00 AM
If we start out the year with a new Center, RG, RT, and LG, you can bet your last dollar we will struggle and Ben will too, atleast in the early goings.

What the hell are you talking about? Alan Faneca is not a RFA this year and is under contract. No chance of him not being in black and gold this year! A new contract this year will only prevent us from having to bid on our own player next year with other teams! :scratch:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Im referring to if he would decide to hold out. I can't see Faneca doing that but you never know. After all, nobody thought Hines would ever hold out.

Captcoolhand
03-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Im hoping he'll take a 4 yr deal to be honest with ya. If he'll take a 4 yr deal, give him a nice fat signing bonus, a modest yearly salary and then backload the last year of the deal with a ton of incentives I'd hope he'll take it. That would allow him to finish his career with us. His age will play a role in this for sure, however Im hoping unlike with Joey that the team realizes and remembers just how bad everybody played last year and that a solid OL is absolutely vital and most key to Ben's success in the future. If we start out the year with a new Center, RG, RT, and LG, you can bet your last dollar we will struggle and Ben will too, atleast in the early goings. Im tempted to say give Alan whatever he wants because he's still playing at a high level, but that's probably too much to ask in this day and age.

I would say the dude has a solid 4 yrs left in the league to be dominant at the level he's been. Is he going to improve and get better? No, he's already at his peek now.
:clap: I agree and he would be stupid not to take it. Unless. he doesn't feel he wants to play that long:dunno:
You start talking Backload and that is almost a definite... that you won't be here for your final year:yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2007, 11:37 AM
yeah backloading a deal can be touchy when you're in contract talks with a veteran on your team that's meant so much to your success over the years. Alan has never had a problem restructuring his deal in the past so as long as he gets decent money whether it's at the beginning or end of his deal, Im hoping he'll work it out with us.

tony hipchest
03-03-2007, 06:12 PM
look at the vikings signing hutchinson last year. then look at the mega deals guards have gotten since yesterday. the market is set for faneca to become the richest lineman and get more than $7 mil/ year with a huge signing bonus. hes not getting it from the steelers if history serves correct.

his recent comments about grimm seem to show he has an eye towards arizona, where he knows they got the money and are desperate to spend it to upgrade their line.

unless we want the same distraction we had with cowher having an eye towards carolina we need to trade faneca for arizonas 2nd round pick (possibly another late rounder or 2) and get something for him while we can.

TEEMONT
03-03-2007, 06:51 PM
look at the vikings signing hutchinson last year. then look at the mega deals guards have gotten since yesterday. the market is set for faneca to become the richest lineman and get more than $7 mil/ year with a huge signing bonus. hes not getting it from the steelers if history serves correct.

his recent comments about grimm seem to show he has an eye towards arizona, where he knows they got the money and are desperate to spend it to upgrade their line.

unless we want the same distraction we had with cowher having an eye towards carolina we need to trade faneca for arizonas 2nd round pick (possibly another late rounder or 2) and get something for him while we can.

If they even thought abotu trading Faneca, I would have serious problems with the FO, and what rout they are trying to go. Faneca has been my favorite player since he got here, and if they don't make every effort to keeep him in our colors, then......I don't even know, it's so hard to root for an organization that shows no respect for its pllayers.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2007, 06:55 PM
If they even thought abotu trading Faneca, I would have serious problems with the FO, and what rout they are trying to go. Faneca has been my favorite player since he got here, and if they don't make every effort to keeep him in our colors, then......I don't even know, it's so hard to root for an organization that shows no respect for its pllayers.

I like Alan Faneca to bro. But if he isn't happy with Mike Tomlin being named HC and questions the new direction of the team. Then it would be smart to try and get something for him. The Steelers are trying to resign him and give him a new contract. Its now in his court and if wants to remain a Steeler great. If he isn't happy and wants a fresh start somewhere then more power to him.

The one good thing there is still time to get a new deal worked out. Hopefully both sides can reach an agreement.

tony hipchest
03-03-2007, 07:00 PM
If they even thought abotu trading Faneca, I would have serious problems with the FO, and what rout they are trying to go. Faneca has been my favorite player since he got here, and if they don't make every effort to keeep him in our colors, then......I don't even know, it's so hard to root for an organization that shows no respect for its pllayers.well i could say the same for porter. or hines. or troy or ben.

this is literally becoming a "chose one or the other" situation, unless we are looking to go the route of dan snyder, mortgaging the future, year after year.

we better make a move on troy and quick. or else next season we can see him and faneca walking and then we will have no choice but to keep the wr whos greates attribute is blocking in the power run scheme we no longer utilize.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2007, 07:05 PM
When we let a player go and we have 1 waiting in the wings to take over that's younger, hungrier, and probably cheaper against the cap then it's much easier to accept the leaving of the previous player. We still dont like it and we're sad to see them go but we understand it more.

When you let players go with no one waiting in the wings, just to save a buck for the future, that's when I start to question the decision making.

TampaSteelGirl
03-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Holy ****! Here we go again!! I"m so sick of this salary crap ****!! I"m not saying we sell our souls to get or keep players but to me the Rooneys need to get some moldy money out of their pockets and keep our boys happy!! :cursin:

TampaSteelGirl
03-03-2007, 07:41 PM
well i could say the same for porter. or hines. or troy or ben.

this is literally becoming a "chose one or the other" situation, unless we are looking to go the route of dan snyder, mortgaging the future, year after year.

we better make a move on troy and quick. or else next season we can see him and faneca walking and then we will have no choice but to keep the wr whos greates attribute is blocking in the power run scheme we no longer utilize.

I completely agree but my worry is that they offer an insulting salary to Troy and we will lose him!!!!!

K Train
03-03-2007, 07:43 PM
hes to important to us, we couldnt let him go, hes easily top 3 OGs in the league

TampaSteelGirl
03-03-2007, 07:47 PM
hes to important to us, we couldnt let him go, hes easily top 3 OGs in the league

So what you're saying is they would be willing to pay Troy what they would never pay any other player??? :scratch:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2007, 07:58 PM
The only saving grace we have with Troy is that he's young and still worthy of huge money. Everybody projected Hines would be wanting upwards of 50 million for his deal but he ended signing for a much more reasonable amount in the end.

Troy hopefully will be the same way, he could easily go somewhere and get more money but Im hoping his loyalties to Pittsburgh and Lebeau will help keep him here.

Faneca is another I just dont want to see us let go, the dude still has it in a big way for atleast another 4 more years IMO. If we don't get him under contract before 2007 we'll have no chance in 2008 to get him back before he jumps ship.

TampaSteelGirl
03-03-2007, 08:01 PM
The only saving grace we have with Troy is that he's young and still worthy of huge money. Everybody projected Hines would be wanting upwards of 50 million for his deal but he ended signing for a much more reasonable amount in the end.

Troy hopefully will be the same way, he could easily go somewhere and get more money but Im hoping his loyalties to Pittsburgh and Lebeau will help keep him here.

Faneca is another I just dont want to see us let go, the dude still has it in a big way for atleast another 4 more years IMO. If we don't get him under contract before 2007 we'll have no chance in 2008 to get him back before he jumps ship.

I also thought Randel El would be loyal to Pittsburgh after his SB ring but that didn't work out either!!!:scratch:

I'm afraid Tomlin is starting to make some enemies!

K Train
03-03-2007, 08:01 PM
So what you're saying is they would be willing to pay Troy what they would never pay any other player??? :scratch:

i was talking about faneca, and i dont think troy will demand all time high salary, but i think troy is a crucial part of our d

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2007, 08:04 PM

I don't want to lose Alan Fanceca either bro. The thing is does Faneca want to stay in Pittsburgh? With his comments regarding Tomlin being named head coach and the new direction of the team. It sounds we have an unhappy camper. The good thing there is time for the Steelers and Alan Faneca to reach an agreement.

But if he doesn't want to stay with the Steelers it would be better to trade him and get something for him in return.

K Train
03-03-2007, 08:07 PM
he was upset about grimm, but come on now, sign him and troy you ****ers....and didnt hines just get a deal 2 years ago?

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2007, 08:11 PM
he was upset about grimm, but come on now, sign him and troy you ****ers....and didnt hines just get a deal 2 years ago?

The Steelers are trying to resign Alan Faneca. The F.O. is making an effort the ball is also in the players court. There is a reason the Steelers are always consistently play-off contendars and thats they don't over pay all their players. I'm not saying the Steelers should low ball Alan Faneca but if Alan Faneca is looking for Steve Hutchinson money then say goodbye to him. At his age he isn't worth that.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah Hines got his new deal but he counts a lot against the cap so we should expect to see him being asked to restructure his deal in the coming years to help out with cap room.

BlitzburghNation
03-03-2007, 08:56 PM
:popcorn:

Friday133
03-04-2007, 10:14 AM

I'm sure the Rooney's will ask you before they do anything with the team they own. Let me know when they give you a call.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2007, 10:26 AM
The dude is just stating a point that Faneca deserves to be a part of this team and still has several good years of playing at a high level for us. It's not like he's over the hill and not able to earn the money we would give him. The dude is still playing at a pro bowl level and barring injury there's no reason to expect him not to be. OL is the most important position on the team, hands down. Without a good OL you do absolutely nothing on offense and your defense is on the field all day. Going into a season without a solid OL because you didn't want to fork over the cash for arguably one of your best overall players on the team, just does not make sense any way you look at it. If they guy was over the hill and didn't deserve the money then by all means kick him to the curb, but with Faneca that's no the case at all.

TEEMONT
03-04-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm sure the Rooney's will ask you before they do anything with the team they own. Let me know when they give you a call.

Hey just b/c you love everything the Rooney's do, doesn't mean I have to. Even when Faneca is 38 he will still be better than 80% of the Guards in this league. Maybe if the FO would manage their cap a little better they wouldn't run into problems like this.

Way to add to the conversation.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-04-2007, 02:13 PM
No inside information or anything. Eric Steinbach,

7 year 49.5 million dollars from the clowns. Faneca is better then Steinback without a doubt. But dam I do not see the steelers coming close to that price tag. If Faneca's agent is using the Steinbach, deal as a negotating tatic.

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-04-2007, 02:29 PM
No inside information or anything. Eric Steinbach,

7 year 49.5 million dollars from the clowns. Faneca is better then Steinback without a doubt. But dam I do not see the steelers coming close to that price tag. If Faneca's agent is using the Steinbach, deal as negotating tatic.

that's the problem the STEELERS will never sign him to that length and kind of money... IF he is willing to sign a shorter deal 2-3 yrs he may be signable.

All these players decide to go for huge bucks at or near the end of their careers, unfortunately there is hardly any loyalty towards their teams. I know it's just a business but it sucks !!

tony hipchest
03-04-2007, 03:31 PM
heres the problem. our offensive line was built with players like breuner, jerome, and kreider in mind. a power run team. they werent built for a qb to throw more than 30 times a game.

any time we have to go to the pass game w/o an element of suprise we fail, because our team hasnt practices as much in the pass protection schemes. if you run 60% of the time it stands to reason 60% of your practice time is gonna be dedicated to run plays.

its retarded to pay a 1 dimensional offensive line $25 million + per year, when teams like the chargers and patriots can repeatedly just plug in a rookie (no matter what round theyre drafted in) and have no drop off.

we blame the 6-10 season in 03 and last years 8-8 season on the line. well it has as much to do with the scheme as it does the personell. no matter who we put in there, its obvious were not prepared to pass more than 25 times a game. this needs to change.

sucks to think we have pissed away draft picks on kemoeatu, essex, phillip, colon, okolbi. these picks are supposed to develop into starters, not be draft picks. YOU DONT DRAFT FOR BACK UPS.