PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign RB Davenport

Friday133
03-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Steelers sign RB Davenport

Thursday, March 01, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers today signed backup running back Najeh Davenport to a two-year $2 million contract, paying him the kind of money that should put him high in their plans for next season.

Davenport, who would have become an unrestricted free agent on Friday, received a $405,000 signing bonus, a salary of $595,000 this year and $1 million next year.

The Steelers signed Davenport to a one-year contract after their first game last season when Green Bay released him. He eventually became their backup to starter Willie Parker after Verron Haynes was injured at mid-season. New Coach Mike Tomlin has stated a preference for using two running backs, something that is becoming a trend in the NFL.

Post-Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07060/766171-100.stm)

Well there is the big back everyone wants.

Koopa
03-01-2007, 08:59 PM
no it isn't, he is not the big back we need, but i'm glad he's back for cheap, he's a very good special team player for us, and he was pretty good recieving out of the back field, i much rather have him then haynes

K Train
03-01-2007, 09:00 PM
were still drafting one........tomlin almost said so lol

K Train
03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
najeh is a beastly ST player and runs a vicious screen, but we still need a grinder

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Well one of my off-season predictions has come true.

Any player with the nick name Dookie is ok in my book.

House of Steel
03-01-2007, 09:02 PM
I am kind of happy with this, he can be the number three, but yes, we need to draft a RB.

K Train
03-01-2007, 09:04 PM
im happy with it, he contributed last year.....i still dont think hes the answer, and hes not a "big back", hes more like Willie parker with gravity around him

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 09:11 PM
:woot: Im glad to see Najeh back, Im anxious to see what he can do with this chance.

We'll still draft atleast 1 RB though to give him some competition since Haynes is gone and also because we'll need depth.

Friday133
03-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I always liked Davenport, I hope he does well here.

K Train
03-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Bush/Leonard/Hunt lol

BB2W
03-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Good news! He impressed me a lot last year but...

I hope this doesn't mean we're not targeting Hunt/Leonard/Bush.

Does anyone else think they might covet a runningback more like a Garret Wolfe... someome with some "wiggle".

K Train
03-01-2007, 09:24 PM
garrett wolfe...now theres an idea...he was a beast at NIU, very warrick dunn like, but still not the grinder im hoping for

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 09:33 PM
I think Willie can do enough wiggling for us in that dept :lol:

BBG7
03-01-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm glad to see Davenport back next year.

AZ_Steeler
03-01-2007, 09:40 PM
That is a pretty cheap price :lol: plus he really started to come along at the end of the season.

BB2W
03-01-2007, 10:39 PM
I think Willie can do enough wiggling for us in that dept :lol:
Willie has all the speed to get around the outside and some skills between the tackles, but he doesn't have much "wiggle". I was thinking about a more shifty or elusive back.

Reggie Bush-like...

K Train
03-01-2007, 10:52 PM
willie has a ton of speed, but hes a straight forward runner witch is good, i know what you mean....wolfe would be good for us but if willie cant run on a defense i doubt wolfe would have much success which is why we need a beast

BB2W
03-01-2007, 11:01 PM
willie has a ton of speed, but hes a straight forward runner witch is good, i know what you mean....wolfe would be good for us but if willie cant run on a defense i doubt wolfe would have much success which is why we need a beastI know I want Hunt more than anyone... but the addition of a "Bush-like back" (Wolfe, Booker, Walker, etc.) could be huge after the signing of Davenport, and they may be able to get them at a later point in the draft. Imagine one of them on third down... we thought Verron was good.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Willie has all the speed to get around the outside and some skills between the tackles, but he doesn't have much "wiggle". I was thinking about a more shifty or elusive back.

Reggie Bush-like...

Ah ok, my bad, I thought you were referring to his ability to squeeze threw a small hole in the line.

K Train
03-01-2007, 11:04 PM
I know I want Hunt more than anyone... but the addition of a "Bush-like back" (Wolfe, Booker, Walker, etc.) could be huge after the signing of Davenport, and they may be able to get them at a later point in the draft. Imagine one of them on third down... we thought Verron was good.

tell you the truth i'd be happy with any of those 3 Hunt/bush/leonard

Hunt-Seems like he could be the complete package

Bush- Beastly strong, played one quarter of football last year and had 3 TDs

Leonard- Very strong, can leap 5 feet in the air and is an excellent pass catcher..an all around weapon