PDA

View Full Version : Officially: Steelers cut Joey Porter. The Steeler Nation speaks out !

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Just saw this on ESPN...didn't see if anyone posted it in the "not looking good for Porter" thread....they also let Verron Haynes go.

floodcitygirl
03-01-2007, 05:15 PM
NO!!!!!!!!

Koopa
03-01-2007, 05:16 PM
yeah i just saw it, i'll miss him, cause i love his **** talking, but he is not worth overpaying.........

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm tryint go find somewhere online that is reporting this also....but nothing so far.

AZ_Steeler
03-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Here's a link http://postgazette.com/pg/07060/766095-100.stm

Haynes was released too!

The Steelers today released linebacker Joey Porter, their best overall defensive player in the 21st century whose play helped win them a Super Bowl 13 months ago.

Porter, 29, was due a $1 million roster bonus by Tuesday and $4 million in salary in the final year of his contract. That, coupled with the fact he was a potential contract holdout this year, prompted the Steelers to release him.

Porter has been their starting right outside linebacker since 2000, the year after they drafted him.

The Steelers also released veteran backup halfback Verron Haynes and issued qualifying offers to tackle Max Starks and quarterback Brian St. Pierre, maintaining their rights to match any team???s offer to the restricted free agents.

Friday133
03-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Great move IMO. Tough decision, but the right one.

floodcitygirl
03-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Yep. Abuch of other places are saying it...and Haynes!

K Train
03-01-2007, 05:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2784626

After two weeks of internal debate, the Pittsburgh Steelers decided to cut ties with one of their most recognized players -- linebacker Joey Porter.

Verron Haynes

Haynes

Joey Porter

Porter

Porter and running back Verron Haynes were released Thursday as the Steelers got under the salary cap. But the decision to release Porter wasn't as much a cap move as it was a change in direction. A three-time Pro Bowl performer, Porter turns 30 on March 22. And with new coach Mike Tomlin taking over for Bill Cowher, the Steelers were looking to go in a different direction with their linebacking corps.

Porter is one of the league's most outspoken players and is willing to verbally challenge opponents. His approach at time did not mesh well with the Steelers' image.

Over the past couple of days, Pittsburgh shopped Porter in trade discussions and there was some interest. In the end, the Steelers decided to give him the chance to find a new team instead of sending him somewhere he might not want to go.

Porter was entering the final year of his contract and there weren't any plans to sign him to an extension. Porter was scheduled to make $5.225 million this season. His release, and Haynes', save the Steelers $6.065 million of cap room.

Because Porter is still a productive player, some people in the organization wanted to keep him. On Thursday, management decided to move on. James Harrison is expected to take over for Porter at outside linebacker.

K Train
03-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Im actually pretty happy about haynes being gone, ive wanted him gone for 2 years, he had his chance and completely failed. Hes a fumbler, and cant stay healthy. You know what this makes me thing tomlin wants to do, well since he said he want a good backup for willie and this seems like the first step in that direction. I really want Bush/Leonard/Hunt in black and gold

Blitzburgh55
03-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Dumb move Cut Porter than Offer Max Straxs how false starts too much and St Peirrie who wont ever see the feild

LonghornSteelerzFan
03-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Man, I'm sad to see the guy go. He epitomizes what the Steeler Defense represents. True he is getting up there in age and with a threatened holdout on the last year of his contract, but I can't help feel that this may not have been the best move to free up cap space. It's going to put a higher priority on drafting a LB early on in the draft.

House of Steel
03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
I kind of figure that threatening holdout from last season was going to catch up to him and bite him in the ***. Well, I expected the boot to come to him.

Koopa
03-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Dumb move Cut Porter than Offer Max Straxs how false starts too much and St Peirrie who wont ever see the feild

ok, they have nothing to do with each other.....we are offering starks a cheap tender whereas porter wants 5+ million.........

BB2W
03-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Very sad to see him go!... I'm glad I got to watch his career with the Steelers and his intensity & leadership will be greatly missed.

Steelerlyn
03-01-2007, 05:58 PM
This is one of those necessary football moves that you have to make, but I'm concerned about the linebacker depth even more so now than I was this morning.

Keeping Porter under his current contract probably wouldn't have motivated him. Cutting him and resigning him probably wouldn't have motivated him - it may have only made it worse. But cutting him and having him sign with another team, the "I'll show you who's washed up" motivation can do wonders.
Very, very interesting stuff and I hope he signs with someone in the NFC.

This also leads me to think that the Steelers at this point are not legitmate Super Bowl contenders. They're once again a fringe playoff team. We'll see what happens starting tomorrow - is Adalius Thomas on the radar? I don't think they have the cap room, but that would make this post null and void.

Thanks for the memories Joey and good luck where ever you end up.

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 06:04 PM

This also leads me to think that the Steelers at this point are not legitmate Super Bowl contenders. They're once again a fringe playoff team. We'll see what happens starting tomorrow - is Adalius Thomas on the radar? I don't think they have the cap room, but that would make this post null and void.

I agree Lyn....without a legitimate OLB, we are going to be fighting just to make the playoffs, let alone the SB.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 06:06 PM
WTF !! Damnit !!! This is just Freekin specatacular !! :banging: :cursin: Now we let go one of the best LB's in the league, a team leader, and we have Harrison stepping in who can't stay healthy for more than 6 games at a time ! :cursin:

I like James alot, I love his intensity and his ability on the field, and his mean attitude but the dude is always hurt!

I don't see how you can justify letting the dude go at this point. He's got 1 year left, pay him his damn bonus because he's already figured into the cap, then try to barter a new deal with him. Worst case scenario we have him 1 more year and in that time we we groom a top draft pick to take over. Now we have ZERO legitimate depth at OLB. I don't care how good our draft picks will be, they still need time to learn. What was once the strength of this team is now a liability.

K Train
03-01-2007, 06:07 PM
you guys need to realize someone will step up, and think of it this way, who would you rather have Porter or troy? this brings us a step closer to locking him up forever

Koopa
03-01-2007, 06:09 PM
you guys need to realize someone will step up, and think of it this way, who would you rather have Porter or troy? this brings us a step closer to locking him up forever

we better lock up troy after this, i didn't buy his jersey for no damn reason lol

BlitzburghRockCity
We need Troy and Porter this year, plain and simple if you ask me.

K Train
WTF !! Damnit !!! This is just Freekin specatacular !! :banging: :cursin: Now we let go one of the best LB's in the league, a team leader, and we have Harrison stepping in who can't stay healthy for more than 6 games at a time ! :cursin:

I like James alot, I love his intensity and his ability on the field, and his mean attitude but the dude is always hurt!

harrison isnt really an injury liability, he stepped in nicely when farrior got hurt, but he only sprained his ankle on a kickoff last year.....that doesnt exactly mean hes made of glass, i have alot confidence in him to step up

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 06:10 PM
The dude has been hurt every year of his career. He has a history of high ankle sprains, his hamstring was pulled on more than 1 occasion, he blew out his knee partially in the past, and various other minor injuries. AT this point the dude is made of glass until he proves he can stay healthy.

Koopa
03-01-2007, 06:12 PM
The dude has been hurt every year of his career. He has a history of high ankle sprains, his hamstring was pulled on more than 1 occasion, he blew out his knee partially in the past, and various other minor injuries. AT this point the dude is made of glass until he proves he can stay healthy.

lets not focus on the negative of his career. lets focus on his potential and the fact that he slammed a browns fan to the ground.............

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Dude, don't get me wrong, Ive pimped James Harrison on so many occasions I can't even count that high. I love his ability and what he brings, he's got a tough mean disposition which is just what we need. He is a beast, but the fact is that he's injury prone plain and simple. If he can stay healthy then that is great but to this point, he's only had spot duty on the field and played on ST and he's hurt every year.

You just have no idea how pissed I am right now, Porter was my favorite current Steeler along with Troy and Hines. Ive followed the dude ever since his days at CSU. He was still productive and we should have kept him IMO.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 06:16 PM
The sky is falling the sky is falling Joey the Mouth was cut. All I have to say players come and they go. Since Joey was Cowher's guy and with the amount of money Porter was going to make this year this isn't a shocking move. I would have brought him back one more year myself. But the Steelers thought other wise. I'll back the team before one player.

Plus Verron I'm hurt every year Haynes also was cut. Good cut there in my mind. Sure Haynes was solid backup and was huge in blitz pickup. But hey the guy is hurt all the time.

I think alot of people are over reacting on the Porter cut. Get get get over it.

BB2W
03-01-2007, 06:16 PM
you guys need to realize someone will step upYup, we've seen many great Steelers linebackers leave us at the same point in their career that Joey is in.

K Train
03-01-2007, 06:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Am7QJ0Zoto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MwpFrIo_0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGAXPu0v8x4

Koopa
03-01-2007, 06:21 PM
my favorite part of the last video is troy blowing up gates

AZ_Steeler
03-01-2007, 06:21 PM
I understand Porter had surgery on his knee this past year... but there were back to back games where Porter didn't even register a tackle! Either a.) the knee was worse than reported and he wasn't comfortable with it or b.) he was so furious about not getting his raise that his heart wasn't really in it...

I really enjoyed watching Porter on the field, the dude was awesome and he will be missed but we need to think back to all the great LB's that the Steelers have let go when it seemed they reached the peak of their career.

Blitzburgh55
03-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Love the video of him jupin over LT

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 06:23 PM
The sky is falling the sky is falling Joey the Mouth was cut. All I have to say players come and they go. Since Joey was Cowher's guy and with the amount of money Porter was going to make this year this isn't a shocking move. I would have brought him back one more year myself. But the Steelers thought other wise. I'll back the team before one player.

Plus Verron I'm hurt every year Haynes also was cut. Good cut there in my mind. Sure Haynes was solid backup and was huge in blitz pickup. But hey the guy is hurt all the time.

I think alot of people are over reacting on the Porter cut. Get get get over it.

Dude, nobody said the sky is falling :bluelol: but the fact of the matter is we have nobody ready to step in and take over for him who can stay healthy. This team has never been more thin at LB than we are right now.

Mark my words, this team will feel the loss of Joey Porter come 2007 in some form and maybe more than one. Team leadership, intensity on the field, play making ability, the guy did it all for us and was dedicated to the defense as anybody you'll find in the league.

Sure we always have people that step up in the past but we suffer for awhile till we do. Everybody downplayed the loss of Jerome saying we'd be ok since he didn't play much during the super bowl year, but when we needed him he was there and always made a play. Joey is the same way, not that Im putting him in the same breath as Jerome because Im not implying that but I am saying we felt the loss of Jerome and we'll feel the loss of Joey.

K Train
03-01-2007, 06:24 PM
my favorite part of the last video is troy blowing up gates

yeah that powder blue wearing bitch got ****ed up lol

but anyway, about harrison getting hurt, porter did have like 3 surgerys in the last 2 years, just because he got back on the field quick doesnt mean he was effective same situation with big ben, just because hes tough doesnt mean he plays great when hes hurt

SteelerDan43
03-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Yay we let the one of the worst sportsman league go! He's old, his performance obviously is declining and knows less about sportsmanship than my 12 year old cousin. Good riddance

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Dude if I'm the Steelers at this point I make a move to sign Tully Banta-Cain. Hey K-train mentioned this in another post and I agree with him. He isn't the big name like Adlilus Thomas. But Cain is starting to come into his own. He had 5.5 sacks and only started 5 games last year/played in 15. Plus Cain added two in the play-offs. Thats what I would do and of course draft an OLB prospect while Cain and Harrison hold down the fort at ROLB.

TampaSteelGirl
03-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Im totally pissed about Joey!!!! Bad move! :willybs:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 06:31 PM
yeah that powder blue wearing bitch got ****ed up lol

but anyway, about harrison getting hurt, porter did have like 3 surgerys in the last 2 years, just because he got back on the field quick doesnt mean he was effective same situation with big ben, just because hes tough doesnt mean he plays great when hes hurt

who said anything about him playing hurt :bluelol: He's had some injuries but the guy was productive and nobody can deny that fact. You can't just look at the sack total and say he didn't do anything because our LB"s dont' just get sacks, then rush the passer, drop back into coverage, play zone, man to man, you name it. It takes years to develop a good 34 linebacker, it took Joey a couple years of playing before he really good good, same with Gildon, Chad brown, Lloyd, kirkland, you name it.

Stairwayto7
03-01-2007, 06:40 PM
WOW! Double Wow!

K Train
03-01-2007, 06:44 PM
who said anything about him playing hurt :bluelol: He's had some injuries but the guy was productive and nobody can deny that fact. You can't just look at the sack total and say he didn't do anything because our LB"s dont' just get sacks, then rush the passer, drop back into coverage, play zone, man to man, you name it. It takes years to develop a good 34 linebacker, it took Joey a couple years of playing before he really good good, same with Gildon, Chad brown, Lloyd, kirkland, you name it.

and harrison has had a few years, hes stepped up before and during last years training camp we heard nothing but good about him and getting him involved more.....it all goes to cowher im telling you! this guy couldve probably been playing for us for years

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 06:46 PM
I agree with you, I think Harrison should have stepped in and got more time in place of Haggans the last 2 years. I love Harrison's upside,the guy is a beast, but until he proves he can stay healthy then he's a question mark.

Blitzburgh55
03-01-2007, 06:46 PM
I say we put the girl in Ktrain sig in the game looks like she dosent mind getting down and dirty and she a good distraction

SteelersWoman
03-01-2007, 06:51 PM
I loved Joey as a Steeler, but he sure didn't play his best for us in '06. He kind of followed the same attitude that Bill did, and it seemed his heart just wasn't in it like it used to be.

I think it would've been this coming season had they re-signed him to the deal he wanted, but that just means he's not really a Steeler at heart (like the ones that stay even though that means less money for them).

Apparently the coaches see something better (or different) ahead for our team, and I sure hope they're right--but I'll miss seein him out there, and will even miss his trash talk. (Who'll do that for us now??) The funniest comment I ever heard from him was before the last game against the Browns when he said "We know how to win, they know how to lose" LOL

As far as St.Pierre, I've never even see the guy play, so have no idea what he's capable of. Haynes didn't really matter one way or the other to me--IMO he's easily replaced.

K Train
03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
theres some good points, we have taken a step in the right direction whether you guys see it or not....as soon as everyone gets off porters **** you'll see that players come and go and we'll move on....jmo

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 06:59 PM
theres some good points, we have taken a step in the right direction whether you guys see it or not....as soon as everyone gets off porters **** you'll see that players come and go and we'll move on....jmo

Hey players come and they go. Thats how I have always looked at it. Pro Sports is a business. Holding emotional attachments to players these days isn't a good move. You can't keep the same team over the years anymore like the good old days.

Forged in Steel
03-01-2007, 07:11 PM
I bet the Redskins will get him.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 07:17 PM
WHO RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! WE RIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Long live Joey Porter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This move of cutting him STINKS !!!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 07:20 PM
He was going to be gone after this year anyway.

K Train
03-01-2007, 07:23 PM
yeah seriously...time to move on guys lol

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 07:26 PM
He was going to be gone after this year anyway.

I'd have been much more happy to keep him this year yet while we groom a replacement for him or see how well Harrison will do in his place, then if need be let him go after 2007 if he won't resign.

This whole thing just blows donkey nuts if you ask me !

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Steelers did the right thing. They were not going to overpay for a declining 30 year old linebacker. Who was in the last year of his contract. Tomlin probably did not want any potential problems in the locker room. Knowing Joey would **** and moan about his contract status. Good riddance and let the new era of steelers football begin. :towel:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 07:28 PM
I'd have been much more happy to keep him this year yet while we groom a replacement for him or see how well Harrison will do in his place, then if need be let him go after 2007 if he won't resign.

This whole thing just blows donkey nuts if you ask me !

I agree keeping Joey Porter for 2007 makes a ton of sense. But it didn't happen that way. I understand totally were your coming from and agree with you. But players come and they go. Thats the nature of the beast bro. It sucks but thats what Pro Sports has become.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Steelers did the right thing. They were not going to overpay for a declining 30 year old linebacker. Who was in the last year of his contract. Tomlin probably did not want any potential problems in the locker room. Knowing Joey would **** and moan about his contract status. Good riddance and let the new era of steelers football begin. :towel:

Good point about the potential problems. Not only with his contract status maybe being a problem but Porter was a Cowher guy. So that could have been a problem as well. I wanted Porter to remain on the team for one year since there is no depth at OLB. But I totally see why he was cut and don't disagree with the move. It is what it is.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Porter didn't **** and moan about his deal last year. He griped alittle in the offseason but Cowher calmed his *** down and he was fine. Porter was a leader on the team, I don't believe he would have been a distraction about his deal. Every player gripes about their contract when it's due, Ward did, hell even Jerome griped but it's neither here nor there, he's gone now there's nothing we can do about it and IMO which Im probably the only one that thinks this, it was a move we'll pay for later on in the season no matter who we bring in.

K Train
03-01-2007, 07:39 PM
you think porter gave 100% last year? if i remember correctly he refused to be a "leader" he said he was gonna go out and play, and he was doing it for cowher and no one else

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 07:41 PM
You find me one player that gave us 100% last year on every snap and I'll sell you some land in Jamaica...cuz you won't find one ! Nobody on that 2006 team gave it their all every game, that's obvious when players were talking to the media about a hangover.

Joey gave us much as anyone and everybody respected him.

K Train
03-01-2007, 07:44 PM
well ive never seen Hines give anything less than 100%, what about anthony smith try to make a name for himself, or Keisel showin he can start at DE, or willie parker tryin to show he could carry the load. Or troy even, i never saw him slack off.

BB2W
03-01-2007, 07:44 PM
I wonder how much Porter would have welcomed rookie linebacker drafted to replace him...

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 07:53 PM
well ive never seen Hines give anything less than 100%, what about anthony smith try to make a name for himself, or Keisel showin he can start at DE, or willie parker tryin to show he could carry the load. Or troy even, i never saw him slack off.

Dude, everybody slacked off this year. Willie even said in a press conference half way through the year that he wasn't giving it all on every snap and that the team in general was in a hangover from the superbowl, that they felt they had nothing to fight for...you tell me that's a team where every player was focused. I also remember hearing an interview with Troy who said this team isn't the same either. WE've all seen those interviews and read about them.

There's no way I believe that anybody on that team gave 100 percent during every game, not when half the team is calling each other out on it.

K Train
03-01-2007, 07:55 PM
ok, well how about this........**** porter he is as good as a cardinal by now

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 07:55 PM
You find me one player that gave us 100% last year on every snap and I'll sell you some land in Jamaica...cuz you won't find one ! Nobody on that 2006 team gave it their all every game, that's obvious when players were talking to the media about a hangover.

Joey gave us much as anyone and everybody respected him.

eh...let it go, you can't convince some people. This move stinks, plain and simple.

I am not saying we should have given Joey an extension, but we as fans expect our players to play out their contracts and not hold out, we should also expect out FO to honor the contracts they sign. You ever wonder why we hardly ever sign big F.A.'s, we show no loylaty to who we have here.

K Train
03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
eh...let it go, you can't convince some people. This move stinks, plain and simple.

I am not saying we should have given Joey an extension, but we as fans expect our players to play out their contracts and not hold out, we should also expect out FO to honor the contracts they sign. You ever wonder why we hardly ever sign big F.A.'s, we show no loylaty to who we have here.

yeah holding out pisses me off, but it is what it is :dunno:

they run the team so good, but sometimes something like this happens that just sucks, its not the end of the world though

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Guess we are moving to a 4-3 faster then anyone thought

K Train
03-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Guess we are moving to a 4-3 faster then anyone thought

thats not what this is about at all

BlitzburghRockCity
yeah Im tired of griping about it because it just pisses me off to see him not be on our defense anymore :banging: :cursin::evilshake: :chair: :postal: :angrysoapbox:

SteelerMatt
Porter was a good motivator and gave 100 %. We will miss him but we will be fine. No one player is bigger than the team. And this is a team game. SteelerMatt

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 08:04 PM

We actually agree, there's a novelty ;)

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 08:05 PM
yeah holding out pisses me off, but it is what it is :dunno:

they run the team so good, but sometimes something like this happens that just sucks, its not the end of the world though

Yeah but Porter was a fan favorite, and we don't have to get over it right away, it happened 5 hours ago. I for one plan to dwell on it for at least a week. Hopefully someone we draft will get #55 so my authentic jersey won't go to waste.

K Train
03-01-2007, 08:05 PM
No one player is bigger than the team
well steelermatt....i dont know who you are but thisis goin in my sig lol

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 08:06 PM

No but given the think LB corps it makes sense.

K Train
03-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah but Porter was a fan favorite, and we don't have to get over it right away, it happened 5 hours ago. I for one plan to dwell on it for at least a week. Hopefully someone we draft will get #55 so my authentic jersey won't go to waste.

yeah he was one of my favorites too, i will always like him but i dont see him being as effective with anyone else, i think he'll end up regretting leaving us over money. This was his move as much as it was the FO

Koopa
03-01-2007, 08:12 PM

that would be a slap in the face to porter, i don't think 55 should be worn for at least 3 seasons.......... plus, it's not a waste just say it's a throw back lol

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 08:15 PM
So if Arizona signs porter. That just makes the rumored season opener more interesting.

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 08:17 PM
that would be a slap in the face to porter, i don't think 55 should be worn for at least 3 seasons.......... plus, it's not a waste just say it's a throw back lol

Hey 92 and 26 were worn pretty quickly. besides I refuse to be one of those drunk asses who wears a jersey they bought ten years ago of a player who is no longer on the team (I.E. Kordell jerseys UGH!!!!!) For now I guess its just me and my Faneca jersey, I guess I will be scouring Ebay for a new authentic one.

K Train
03-01-2007, 08:17 PM
that will most likely be the sunday night opener

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 08:19 PM
that will most likely be the sunday night opener

or the thursday night opener

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 08:20 PM
We better not see anybody with a 55, no way, that would be complete sacrilege. Porter was beast. We have more than enough available numbers to give to someone else.

SteelerFan87
03-01-2007, 08:22 PM
****!!! DAMNIT!!!!! #$$#@)#*@)!@$*#)$*)#@$*#!!!!!!

I'm so pissed about this! The way I see it, we have 2 OLBs around their 30s. 1 is a team leader who is the heart of the defense, the other is not. Get rid of Haggans, not Porter! IMO, Haggans was a downgrade from the moment he replaced Gildon. They should have cut Haggans and kept Porter, let Harrison start at Haggans' spot (like he's done in the past), draft a guy, and maybe sign a free agent. We may not miss Porter's skill, because it definitely seemed like he lost a step last year, but we WILL miss his leadership and intensity, IMO. The ONLY way I accept this move is if we sign a beast of a FA OLB, like Adalius Thomas. I do NOT want to see Harrison and Haggans as our starting OLBs, even though Harrison is a beast and I love how hard he hits and how crazy he plays. Harrison and Thomas though, now that would terrify some QBs!

LONG LIVE PEEZY!!!! Who Ride?? WE RIDE!!!!! I will miss the Boot!

Oh, and whoever said bring in Tully Banta Cain, NO. Even Pats fans don't think he's that good. From what I've heard from them, he's talented but can't do enough to be a consistant starter. Plus, while Porter was definitely a trash talker, it was mostly to motivate himself and his teammates. TBC is just an ***.

K Train
03-01-2007, 08:22 PM
or the thursday night opener

nah that will probably be the colts vs some scrub team.....i think the superbowl winner always opens thursday night, i think this will be more like the manning bowl last year, its an opening game with some meaning to both teams.

Tomlins first game as HC
Whiz First game as HC
porters revenge lol

K Train
03-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Oh, and whoever said bring in Tully Banta Cain, NO. Even Pats fans don't think he's that good. From what I've heard from them, he's talented but can't do enough to be a consistant starter. Plus, while Porter was definitely a trash talker, it was mostly to motivate himself and his teammates. TBC is just an ***.

lol from "the #1 patsie hater"

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 08:24 PM
****!!! DAMNIT!!!!! #$$#@)#*@)!@$*#)$*)#@$*#!!!!!!

I'm so pissed about this! The way I see it, we have 2 OLBs around their 30s. 1 is a team leader who is the heart of the defense, the other is not. Get rid of Haggans, not Porter! IMO, Haggans was a downgrade from the moment he replaced Gildon. They should have cut Haggans and kept Porter, let Harrison start at Haggans' spot (like he's done in the past), draft a guy, and maybe sign a free agent. We may not miss Porter's skill, because it definitely seemed like he lost a step last year, but we WILL miss his leadership and intensity, IMO. The ONLY way I accept this move is if we sign a beast of a FA OLB, like Adalius Thomas. I do NOT want to see Harrison and Haggans as our starting OLBs, even though Harrison is a beast and I love how hard he hits and how crazy he plays. Harrison and Thomas though, now that would terrify some QBs!

LONG LIVE PEEZY!!!! Who Ride?? WE RIDE!!!!! I will miss the Boot!

Thank goodness, finally somebody agrees with me with the same intensity !

SteelerDan43
03-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I for one as a player coming in wouldnt want the 55 jersey because I wouldnt want to be associated with that jagoff but I think if someone actually does want to wear it they should I have no problem giving it out, it isnt like this guy was an all time steeler great He doesnt have a chance in hell at the HOF he is just another Holmes. A decent player that benefited from the system

SteelerFan87
03-01-2007, 08:34 PM
I for one as a player coming in wouldnt want the 55 jersey because I wouldnt want to be associated with that jagoff but I think if someone actually does want to wear it they should I have no problem giving it out, it isnt like this guy was an all time steeler great He doesnt have a chance in hell at the HOF he is just another Holmes. A decent player that benefited from the system

Woah, gotta call BS there. Porter was a team leader. He was a vocal, motivational leader. He brought a swagger and intensity to the defense. Is he a HOF? Probably not, but he was damn good, and what he brought to the team went way beyond his playmaking ability on the field. He will be missed.

K Train
03-01-2007, 08:34 PM
big porter fan huh?

SteelerDan43
03-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Woah, gotta call BS there. Porter was a team leader. He was a vocal, motivational leader. He brought a swagger and intensity to the defense. Is he a HOF? Probably not, but he was damn good, and what he brought to the team went way beyond his playmaking ability on the field. He will be missed.

He is a horrible leader, I would never want my team to be lead by a guy that has the lack of respect and the unsportsmanlike attitude of porter. He was decent, but he was never really a top 5 guy IMO. His production was sparatic at best and he is on the wrong side of his career and has become seriously injury prone. Good riddance.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Damn I take it Joey Porter isn't on SteelerDan's Christmas card list.

Koopa
03-01-2007, 08:44 PM

are you talking about santonio holmes????

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 08:47 PM
are you talking about santonio holmes????

he better be....the only other Holmes the Steelers has was Ernie.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
he better be....the only other Holmes the Steelers has was Ernie.

and Earl Holmes the former Steelers LB.

SteelerDan43
03-01-2007, 08:50 PM
No, Im talking about this bum

Earl Holmes (http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=41&season=7)

Friday133
03-01-2007, 08:52 PM
I tend to agree with Dan on this. Porter was okay, in the big picture he wasn't even a top 10 LB all time for the Steelers.

SteelerFan87
03-01-2007, 08:52 PM
He is a horrible leader, I would never want my team to be lead by a guy that has the lack of respect and the unsportsmanlike attitude of porter. He was decent, but he was never really a top 5 guy IMO. His production was sparatic at best and he is on the wrong side of his career and has become seriously injury prone. Good riddance.

When was he "unsportsmanlike"? When people messed with his teammates or himself. He wasn't some Randy Moss or TO type douche who threw teammates under the bus, caused problems for the organization, and what not. Porter was a great teammate and a motivational leader on the defense. You may not like him, but I assure you everyone in the Steelers lockerroom loved him and will surely miss him.

SteelerDan43
03-01-2007, 08:54 PM
When was he "unsportsmanlike"? When people messed with his teammates or himself. He wasn't some Randy Moss or TO type douche who threw teammates under the bus, caused problems for the organization, and what not. Porter was a great teammate and a motivational leader on the defense. You may not like him, but I assure you everyone in the Steelers lockerroom loved him and will surely miss him.

Acting like a jackass and fighting which got him thrown out of the game is pretty high on the list of unsportsmanlike conduct

Friday133
03-01-2007, 08:55 PM
You may not like him, but I assure you everyone in the Steelers lockerroom loved him and will surely miss him.

So what's it like being in the locker room with the team?

K Train
03-01-2007, 08:57 PM

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

SteelerFan87
03-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Acting like a jackass and starting a fight which got him thrown out of the game is pretty high on the list of unsportsmanlike conduct

Starting a fight? Oh, you mean the time that guy from the Browns came over to him during warm ups and started talking trash and pushed him? Yeah, seems to me Green started that fight, not Peezy.

Oh, and Friday, that's a good question. I'll have to ask Troy if I see him on sunday. :bigthumb:

BB2W
03-01-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm probabaly gonna get tomatoed for mentioning this... but I hope he doesn't got to the Bungles. :stirpot:

SteelerDan43
03-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Does that mean its right to go hit the guy? Porter stalked the do not cross line yelling at the other team as well!!!! Lets go back to pre-school, two wrongs do not make a right

Friday133
03-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Oh, and Friday, that's a good question. I'll have to ask Troy if I see him on sunday. :bigthumb:

I expect you to do intense interviews and articles with your locker room pass.

SteelerFan87
03-01-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm probabaly gonna get tomatoed for mentioning this... but I hope he doesn't got to the Bungles. :stirpot:

Oh God! That would just be so wrong! Nah, I don't think Peezy would go there, or that the pussy bungles would take him.
:tt02:

EDIT:

And Friday, I'll see if Troy can hook me up with one, and then I'll be sure to get you those articles right away. :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 09:09 PM

If you can sit there and say that, implying that you don't think team loved him and respected him then you need to seriously question yourself on that one dude.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I tend to agree with Dan on this. Porter was okay, in the big picture he wasn't even a top 10 LB all time for the Steelers.

Friday what are you smoking? You really don't think Joey Porter was in the top 10 best Steelers LB's of alltime. Ok the first three are Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Andy Russell.

But Porter has to be in the top 10. Who would be in your top 10 Steelers LB of alltime?

Hey I know Joey was as good or better then Mike Merriweather, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Green, Jason Gildon, LeVon Kirkland and Chad Brown.

K Train
03-01-2007, 09:18 PM
just because hes not on the team anymore doesnt mean you should take away what hs done for us lol, he was a beast for us

SteelerDan43
03-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I'll give him top 10 but top 5 no way

Friday133
03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Porter was hyped by the media more than anything. B&G32 I'd say all those other LB's rank higher than Porter.

Friday133
03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
If you can sit there and say that, implying that you don't think team loved him and respected him then you need to seriously question yourself on that one dude.

I question when a 19 yr old kid tells me on a message board he can assure me the locker room loved a certain player.

Koopa
03-01-2007, 09:21 PM
:lol: at two threads about joey porter going over 100 replies

joey was a great leader, i don't get how you can question that, i can understand you talking down on his inconsistent play but it was obvious the team respected him and that he was a great on the field emotional leader

Koopa
03-01-2007, 09:21 PM
I question when a 19 yr old kid tells me on a message board he can assure me the locker room loved a certain player.

so because you're older, you know more???

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Porter was hyped by the media more than anything. B&G32 I'd say all those other LB's rank higher than Porter.

Kirkland better then Porter? Chad Brown better then Porter? Greene better then Porter? I don't know about those three.

Kevin Greene has some great years with the Steelers but he was only here for about 3-4 years. Same thing with Chad Brown. Plus I would take Porter over Brown anyday. Then Kirkland, I like Kirkland and he was a good player but noway better then Joey.

As for Gildon yes he is the alltime Steelers sack leader but I think Joey was just as good as Jason Gildon.

Friday133
03-01-2007, 09:24 PM
so because you're older, you know more???

I never said that.

Friday133
03-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Kirkland better then Porter? Chad Brown better then Porter? Greene better then Porter? I don't know about those three.

Kevin Greene has some great years with the Steelers but he was only here for about 3-4 years. Same thing with Chad Brown. Plus I would take Porter over Brown anyday. Then Kirkland, I like Kirkland and he was a good player but noway better then Joey.

As for Gildon yes he is the alltime Steelers sack leader but I think Joey was just as good as Jason Gildon.

I see your point, just a difference in opinion. IMO Brown would have been a monster if he would have stayed here in Pittsburgh and been on the outside.

Koopa
03-01-2007, 09:26 PM
I never said that.

then why bring his age into it and call him a kid :dunno: it seems to me just cause you are older you know more or something

ktrain didn't have to be in the lockerroom to tell porter was a leader and the players respected him........that's obvious he was

K Train
03-01-2007, 09:27 PM
i think players now days are in better physical shape and porter is naturally gifted...he could hold his own against any of those other guys imo

SteelerDan43
03-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Being the ra-ra cheerleader doesnt make you the leader of the team

Friday133
03-01-2007, 09:29 PM
then why bring his age into it and call him a kid :dunno: it seems to me just cause you are older you know more or something

ktrain didn't have to be in the lockerroom to tell porter was a leader and the players respected him........that's obvious he was

Wow a little touchy about age?

Black@Gold Forever32
I see your point, just a difference in opinion. IMO Brown would have been a monster if he would have stayed here in Pittsburgh and been on the outside.

Joey wasn't a monster? Yea Chad Brown had that great year back in 96 when he had 13 sacks. But again would Brown have been better then Joey Porter? We don't know for sure. What ever you think about Joey Porter you still have to give his credit and he was huge in the Steelers Super Bowl run.

TEEMONT
I gotta see this alleged top 10.

Friday133
03-01-2007, 09:30 PM

But kicking the ground after a routine tackle and challenging to fight someone on their team bus does make a leader. :bigthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 09:30 PM

Me to bro.:bluelol:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Being the ra ra cheerleader is part of being a team player and part of what he brought..I think even you'd have to agree that Joey did have alittle something to do with us getting our 6 title and he's had a great career. I'd easily put him in a top 10 of Steeler linebackers, that's a no brainer.

BBG7

How can you say he wasn't a leader. A leader is someone the team rallies around and Joey was definately that guy. He has been a leader on the team for quite a while now. Did you ever watch him in hte locker room and on hte sidelines? It's very obvious the guys looked to him for leadership.

Friday133

Lambert
Ham
Lloyd
Greene
Brown
Russell
Merriweather
Kirkland
Gildon
Farrior

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 09:34 PM
But kicking the ground after a routine tackle and challenging to fight someone on their team bus does make a leader. :bigthumb:

No, but who did the team gather around after wins, for the Who Ride, We Ride?

He was a vocal leader, and if you can't see that then you're an idiot, and probably never played the game of football. If you have some sort of vendetta against Joey thats fine, but ****, the guy was a beast for us, he was always being double teamed, and made all of the players around him better.

i really want to see this top 10 list so I can make fun of it.

Koopa

but when the team follows him, that makes him a leader, ppl listened when he speaked, he was a great leader............

K Train
lol i think porter would be in my top 3

SteelerDan43
Joey wasn't a monster? Yea Chad Brown had that great year back in 96 when he had 13 sacks. But again would Brown have been better then Joey Porter? We don't know for sure. What ever you think about Joey Porter you still have to give his credit and he was huge in the Steelers Super Bowl run.

I dont know how big he was in the run, I'll give him credit for the Indy and Denver games but his totals for the playoffs are a whopping 12 tackles and 3 sacks and in the Cincy game he only go 3 tackles and a half of a sack. In the superbowl after all his trash talking he has a whopping total of 3 tackles. It's like he took two games off.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Lambert
Ham
Lloyd
Greene
Brown
Russell
Merriweather
Kirkland
Gildon
Farrior

Merriweather in the top 10? No way ! I'd hesitate to put Farrior in there just yet either. He's got potential and he's been great for us but Im not quite ready to make him an all time great yet.

Joey easily makes that list man. Porters career stats measure up easily with nearly every player on that list.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133392

Just to piggy back on that, it's not even all about the stats with Joey, as much as he's done for us on the stat sheet, his intagibles, leadership abilities, respect he owened in the locker room are just as important. The dude is a Steeler through and through !

K Train
he was triple teamed a ton in the superbowl

SteelerDan43
lol i think porter would be in my top 3

So you would put him above Andy Russel??

Koopa
03-01-2007, 09:36 PM
putting farrior over porter is just plain hating.......

Black@Gold Forever32
Lambert
Ham
Lloyd
Greene
Brown
Russell
Merriweather
Kirkland
Gildon
Farrior

James Farrior, LeVon Kirkland, Kevin Greene and Chad Brown are all question marks for me.

All those LB's were very good players. But are they better then Porter? I'm not saying Porter is better just saying its not that crystal clear that those players were better then Porter. I would even put Jason Gildon in that group. I think Porter was just as good as Gildon.

K Train
putting farrior over porter is just plain hating.......

:iagree:

Friday133

He was a vocal leader, and if you can't see that then you're an idiot, and probably never played the game of football. If you have some sort of vendetta against Joey thats fine, but ****, the guy was a beast for us, he was always being double teamed, and made all of the players around him better.

I can't wait for you to make fun of my opinion. :blah:

SteelerDan43
03-01-2007, 09:38 PM
he was triple teamed a ton in the superbowl

If you want top 5 money you better produce, he was a focal point for Indy and he still got it done. I think he is and was a very inconsistent guy

Friday133
03-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Most of you look to be upset because one of your favorite players just got fired, and that's fine to feel that way. However I believe its going to be a decision that us fans will look back on as being the right move.

K Train
03-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Ok.....indys sorry disgrace of a line vs. Jones and Hutch.....comeon now, you can not like him but this is getting ridiculous

Koopa
03-01-2007, 09:40 PM
If you want top 5 money you better produce, he was a focal point for Indy and he still got it done. I think he is and was a very inconsistent guy

that's the only thing i agree with you about, he is not worth the money, his production can be easily replaced, i wish we would've kept him one more year or signed him to a reasonable extension, but to question his leadership is just retarded, it's obvious the players rallied around him when he spoke.......

Friday133
03-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Good God what happens if Porter gets signed by the Bengals or Browns? Will you guys think he's some sort of traitor?

Koopa
03-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Most of you look to be upset because one of your favorite players just got fired, and that's fine to feel that way. However I believe its going to be a decision that us fans will look back on as being the right move.

i'm not upset at all that he was cut........ it's just that y'all question his leadership, when it's obvious that the players loved him and rallied around him

Black@Gold Forever32

I'm not upset at all. I agree it was time for Porter to go. I just don't like seeing people totally diss him. Not a top 10 LB for the Steelers? Come on get that **** out here. Hey Porter has no case for the top 3 since Lambert, Ham and Russell are the top 3. But he is in the converstion from 4-7. I can't rank them since I think all those LB's after the top were about the same in my eyes.

BlitzburghRockCity
This is indeed getting ridiculous. The dude deserves the respect of guy who's done so much for this team, the city, and the fans.

This is life in the NFL, it's a business, we've all seen top notch players come and go over the decades, but that doesn't make it easier nor do we have to agree with all the decisions but quesitoning the leadership of the man is outright ludicrous. You can debate stats day and night from now till kingdom come but you cannot as a Steelers fan dismiss or dis what he meant to the team in that locker room.

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Lambert
Ham
Lloyd
Greene
Brown
Russell
Merriweather
Kirkland
Gildon
Farrior

Lamber and Ham, yes...LLoyd as #3...no way.
Greene as #4, no way.

Porter is better than Russel IMO. Merriweather was not that good, you could put Hinkle or Little in there if you are going to have him in there. Farrior will be top 10 but he will never have the impact Joey did. Joey is prob top 5.

BBG7
03-01-2007, 09:44 PM
This is indeed getting ridiculous. The dude deserves the respect of guy who's done so much for this team, the city, and the fans.

This is life in the NFL, it's a business, we've all seen top notch players come and go over the decades, but that doesn't make it easier nor do we have to agree with all the decisions but quesitoning the leadership of the man is outright ludicrous. You can debate stats day and night from now till kingdom come but you cannot as a Steelers fan dismiss or dis what he meant to the team in that locker room.

I agree 100%

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 09:44 PM

This is life in the NFL, it's a business, we've all seen top notch players come and go over the decades, but that doesn't make it easier nor do we have to agree with all the decisions.

:plus1:I agree Top. He had big part in the Steelers bringing home the fifth Lombardi. Plus he had a very good career for the Steelers. I think he was just as good as Jason Gildon, Chad Brown, Mike Merriweather, Kevin Greene and yes Greg Lloyd.

He was clearly better then Kirkland and Farrior.

K Train
03-01-2007, 09:45 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/signs138.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 09:47 PM
I hated to see Gildon leave too, the dude has the all time sack record for us, he was one of my favorites. He and Porter always worked well together. Gildon though was clearly losing a step and you could see in that last hurrah he had against the Cards with what, 3 sacks that day or something, that he was giving it all he had but there wasn't much left in the tank.

I'd easily mention Porter in all those names on that list you have there as well. Porter was cut from the same mold as Greg Lloyd.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Lamber and Ham, yes...LLoyd as #3...no way.
Greene as #4, no way.

Porter is better than Russel IMO. Merriweather was not that good, you could put Hinkle or Little in there if you are going to have him in there. Farrior will be top 10 but he will never have the impact Joey did. Joey is prob top 5.

I don't know man. Andy Russell was a very good football player. He was good when the Steelers sucked in the mid/late 60's. Plus he had a hand in that Steel Curtain defense in the 70's. But other then the top three. I think Joey Porter is in the conversation from 4 on down in the alltime best Steelers LB's.

SteelerDan43
03-01-2007, 09:48 PM

Once again being the ra-ra cheerleader doesnt mean you are the leader. Ive played sports as most of you have and I continue to play in college but I know even in my own experiences that the people that lead are not necessarily the ra-ra chant guys. Heck in just about all the teams I have been on the captain of the team wasnt even the real leader. Being a good leader is about leading by example, putting the best effort forth at all times, doing things the right way, when things are starting to go wrong the leaders are the ones that come over to the player that screwed up and talks to him. There are times to be loud and get on somebody but there is also a time for a pep-talk. My memories of Joey are mostly of him screaming like a moron on the sidelines in a very nonconstructive way. I would say Farrior, previously VonOlehoffen, and Mike Logan, are better leaders than Joey.

K Train
03-01-2007, 09:49 PM
defensive players now are way superior to those of the 70s....jmo

SteelerDan43
03-01-2007, 09:51 PM
that's the only thing i agree with you about, he is not worth the money, his production can be easily replaced, i wish we would've kept him one more year or signed him to a reasonable extension, but to question his leadership is just retarded, it's obvious the players rallied around him when he spoke.......

Because he was the one talking doesnt mean they were listening, we as fans have no idea what the true opinions of the players were about him. Just acting like a leader doesnt make you one

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I would say Farrior, previously VonOlehoffen, and Mike Logan, are better leaders than Joey.

I can't discount that those 3 were good leaders who led by example, that much is clear. Every team needs leaders that just keep their mouth shut and play, guys that will console you and give you a quiet pep talk.

BUT....

That wasn't Joey Porter, he relied on the same techniques that Lloyd used, the same intensity to get himself and his teammates fired up. The team responded and listened to him because he earned their respect by his play on the field just as you mentioned, but he also used his emotion as a tool to motivate as well. You can't say one is more important than the other, that's not fair.

SteelerDan43
03-01-2007, 10:00 PM
I can't discount that those 3 were good leaders who led by example, that much is clear. Every team needs leaders that just keep their mouth shut and play, guys that will console you and give you a quiet pep talk.

BUT....

That wasn't Joey Porter, he relied on the same techniques that Lloyd used, the same intensity to get himself and his teammates fired up. The team responded and listened to him because he earned their respect by his play on the field just as you mentioned, but he also used his emotion as a tool to motivate as well. You can't say one is more important than the other, that's not fair.

I said there was a time for both, I dont think IMO that the team necessarily rallied around him particularly. In more instances than not I think his emotion was overboard and got him in trouble on the field. I didnt see him as more that just a mouth, but we are not the players so we dont know what their reactions and opinions of him but in my opinion he was not a great leader

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 10:07 PM
You're right we don't know what happens in the locker room, but based on what we do know from countless reviews in the newspapers, online, player interviews on TV, and virtually anywhere else you can think of everybody always talked about how Joey is the emotional leader of this team and everybody respected him.

We can only go by what we know and based on all those instances over the years it's clear that the dude was indeed a leader and he was well respected. Sure his mouth got him in trouble at times, but I'll take a few times of getting in trouble vs all the plays he made for us any day of the week.

Koopa
03-01-2007, 10:19 PM
has this article been posted??? this was all colbert, no blame tomlin for this ****....although it must of sucked for tomlin to have to call him and tell him he was cut.........

A lackluster class of NFL free agent prospects, especially at outside linebacker, picked up steam when the Steelers released Joey Porter into the signing period that begins today.

Porter, perhaps the Steelers' best overall defensive player in the 21st century whose play helped win them a Super Bowl 13 months ago, was due a $1 million roster bonus by Tuesday and a $4 million salary in the final year of his contract. That, and other factors, prompted the Steelers to release him.

"Unfortunately, sometimes you have to terminate a good player, just to make it all work,'' said Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations.

Although no one on the Steelers would say so, the threat by Porter to hold out last summer played a factor in his release. Team officials did not want to burden new head coach Mike Tomlin with that kind of threat to his authority. Even though Porter was scheduled to make $5 million in the final year of his deal, he was unhappy with his contract and there was a chance he might boycott some of the minicamps and then training camp had he remained with the team.

The Steelers also released injured backup halfback Verron Haynes -- although they want to re-sign him -- and issued qualifying offers to tackle Max Starks and quarterback Brian St. Pierre, maintaining their rights to match any team's offer to the restricted free agents.

"Just let me say that releasing a player like Joey Porter who has meant so much to this franchise and obviously helped us win a Super Bowl championship is not easy to do," Colbert said. "It's some of the decisions that you have to make under this current system."

By releasing Porter, the Steelers were able to get under the NFL's $109 million salary cap which they were required to do by today, when the league's new calendar begins and the free agency signing period starts.

"It's definitely a cap-related issue where we needed some short-term relief, but we also had to factor in what our cap situation's going to be in '08, '09 and beyond," Colbert said.

Porter, whose 60 career sacks rank fourth on the team's list, should draw plenty of attention in a weak free agency class and could sign elsewhere quickly. He made three of the past five Pro Bowls, was twice All-Pro and was the team's co-MVP in 2002. He also served as a team co-captain the past four seasons.

"I think it will be very good. He'll be one of the most sought-after guys on the market,'' predicted Jeff Sperbeck, Porter's agent. "More teams are running the 3-4 defense; he can play with his hand down, on the outside, inside. He's done it all for the Steelers."

Porter, who turns 30 in three weeks, was considered to have an off season by the Steelers last year, although he still managed seven sacks. He had surgery last May for the second time in nine months on separate knees.

Tomlin made the phone call to Porter to inform him he would be released.

"I'm sure Joey's going to attract a lot of interest very quickly," Colbert said, "especially when you compare him to maybe what the whole class is. And teams that have more salary cap flexibility are probably going to be the ones showing the most interest in him."

Porter was a third-round draft pick in 1999 from Colorado State. He moved into the starting lineup the next season and started 106 games.

He was an acknowledged leader on and off the field, ordering throwback jerseys for his teammates to honor defensive coaches and Jerome Bettis at various times during their run to the Super Bowl in 2005.

He also was combative and controversial at times ?? challenging Ray Lewis to come off the Ravens' team bus, getting thrown out for a game during a pre-game fight in Cleveland, and calling Browns' tight end Kellen Winslow a derogatory name to describe a homosexual.

One week before the 2003 season opened, Porter was shot in the buttocks and thigh while he was leaving a bar/restaurant in Denver. He missed the first two games, but started the rest

"There's no question Joey can and will still be a very productive player in this league,'' Colbert said.

NOTES -- Starks, who received a one-year contract tender of $1.85 million from the Steelers, would bring the team a first-round draft choice if they decline to match a contract he would sign with another team as a restricted free agent. "It shows me the Steelers have confidence in me and want to keep me," Starks said. "I'm optimistic about that because I want to stay in Pittsburgh. I would like to negotiate a long-term deal." St. Pierre received a one-year tender of $850,000 and would bring the Steelers a fifth-round pick if he signed elsewhere and they did not match. ... Colbert said even though the Steelers have more money under the cap because of Porter's release, they likely will wait to see what happens in free agency before they make a move and will not act quickly: "It's just not our style to be calling players at 12:01 and doing the breaking-type deals, especially in our situation. ... The Steelers also released offensive tackle Ulish Booker, who spent all of last season on injured reserve. ... Colbert on Haynes: "It's a very similar situation to Mike Logan last year ... we released him at this time last year. They're eligible for injury compensation under the CBA and insurance. He'll continue to rehabilitate with us with the thought we'll add him back when he's healthy."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07060/766095-66.stm

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't think anybody mentioned this being Tomlin's idea or not being his idea. The Rooney's said he has ultimate say over who stays and who goes and what coaches he wants to have around him. Im sure he did have a say in this but with Colbert being the Cap guy it's hard to say how much say he had. I have to imagine if Tomlin really wanted Joey that bad, and absolutely felt he had to have Joey around, then he'd still be here and Colbert would make it work.

Whatever though, this is making my head hurt....

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Koopa, I would hope that Tomlin had a say in this. He is the HC and his opinion should be asked in players being cut. Plus on Sports Beat tonight they said Keven Colbert said it was nice to have a fresh set of eyes to evaluate the Steelers talent. So I'm sure Tomlin looked at film of Joey Porter and offered his opinion. Which a HC should do.

Koopa
03-01-2007, 10:32 PM
tomlin is a puppet lol, all the bad decisions will all be on colbert, the good ones will be tomlin, and that's fact :lol:

K Train
03-01-2007, 10:33 PM
you have it out for colbert dont you? i'll still blame cowher for another year lol

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 10:38 PM
tomlin is a puppet lol, all the bad decisions will all be on colbert, the good ones will be tomlin, and that's fact :lol:

Forone I don't think Mike Tomlin is a puppet. The Steelers have their system where both the HC or GM/Director of Football Operations both offer their opinions in evaluating talent and making roster decisions.

I don't blame Tomlin or Colbert for Porter being cut. They made the decision to cut him and I'll back it.

BBG7
03-01-2007, 10:40 PM
They made the decision to cut him and I'll back it.

As Steeler fans we should back their decisions. It's hard, but at the same time this is a business.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Don't mind Koopa, he's just being Koopa :lol:

Koopa
03-01-2007, 10:43 PM
you have it out for colbert dont you? i'll still blame cowher for another year lol

no, that's just gonna be my excuse for when things go wrong and ppl try to blame tomlin lol

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 10:44 PM
You're just a hater man, a hater :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2007, 10:44 PM
As Steeler fans we should back their decisions. It's hard, but at the same time this is a business.

Exactly Pro Sports is big business these days and teams have to make the decisions that they feel is the best moves for their franchise.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Arizona and the OHIO DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS

Uhh I mean cincinnati Bungles :lol:

House of Steel
03-01-2007, 11:38 PM
I re-written this, I said something out of anger, that shouldn't been said. I just get fustrated, angry, and confused when someone supports and praising a player when we are winning then when they leave us, they turn around and say some the negative BS I've ever seen. That is just wrong. Porter has always, always been one of my favorite Steelers. I am going to truly miss him. He was a vocal leader on the Defense. He was always motivating and encouraging defensive players to give their all and kick *** 110% on every play. That boot move he always does fires me up and really brings the intensity on. I wish the Steelers would of kept him on and play out his final year of his contract before they cut him. We need depth, and this move puts us in jeopardy. I guarantee you, we will be wishing mid-season we didn't pull the plug on Porter. This whole thing, if you think about it, it not cool at all. It feels like Porter was POS to the Steelers all this time. It is hard to explain, but I think Porter deserved one more chance. I know of a lot of 30 years old player in the NFL that still can play at top level. I am going to miss Porter dearly. Good luck where ever you land.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 11:41 PM
But it does not help us going forward in 2007. The porter era is over. Time to look ahead.

House of Steel
03-01-2007, 11:44 PM
I am looking ahead, but when you got fans disrespecting a former player for all the good he has done for the franchise, that is bullshit and uncalled for, that is what I call a fairweather fan in my opinion.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 11:47 PM
I am looking ahead, but when you got fans disrespecting a former player for all the good he has done for the franchise, that is bullshit and uncalled for, that is what I call a fairweather fan in my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion. Personally I'm glad Porter is gone. Time for some new blood in the black and gold. To help us get back to the top of the mountain.

Koopa
03-01-2007, 11:49 PM

that's not fairweather fan at all, it's not like they liked him when he was winning, steelerdan has said in the past that he didn't like porter, it's his opinion, we may not agree with him, but he's entitled to it, and it doesn't make him less of a fan cause he doesn't like porter........

House of Steel
03-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Koopa, your right and that is why I re-written what I said. That is my personality, when I am angry, I write off when I think, and sometimes it isn't cool what I say. Therefore, I thought about it and wrote something that reflects more of what my heart and my opinion really want to say. Just crazy how some fans can be you know. :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2007, 12:02 AM
This thread has run it's course we've all said our peace...the plain and simple fact now is that Joey is gone, he will be missed and I don't care who you are you have to respect what the man did and what he meant to the team and the city.

I have been a Porter fan since his days at CSU, and I will always be a Porter fan. He's a Steeler in my book forever !

House of Steel
03-02-2007, 12:04 AM
I am going to buy a Porter Jersey when they go on clearance. I am through and through a major Peezy Fan.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2007, 12:06 AM
You'll be able to find them mad cheap now on ebay so watch for them. Joey Porter rocks in my book ! Nobody will ever replace "the boot" and "who ride we ride"

House of Steel
03-02-2007, 12:11 AM
The boot is the reason why I loved the guy. I could perfect that move smooth.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-02-2007, 12:17 AM
I am going to buy a Porter Jersey when they go on clearance. I am through and through a major Peezy Fan.

$19.70 on ebay right now.

Koopa
03-02-2007, 12:22 AM
i'd rather buy his pro bowl jersey

House of Steel
03-02-2007, 12:30 AM
I wonder how much that is going for, Koopa?

TEEMONT
03-02-2007, 01:42 AM
no, that's just gonna be my excuse for when things go wrong and ppl try to blame tomlin lol

Why b/c Colbert is white? lol.....Despite what you think Tomlin has a say in things, this isn't Dallas or Oakland.

Koopa
03-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Why b/c Colbert is white?

that and because there's no one else to blame :lol: :lol:

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-02-2007, 01:46 AM
SF
Arizona
Cincinnati
New England

TEEMONT
03-02-2007, 01:51 AM
SF
Arizona
Cincinnati
New England

Man....if he goes to Cincy....I dunno....that would be more awkward than seeing a chick you gave crabs to.

SteelerFan87
03-02-2007, 04:04 AM
I like koopa's idea. I'm going to blame Colbert. :lol: I'll call him Comrade Colbert (like I call Robert Kraft Comrade Kraft) untill he makes a great draft pick or something. Untill then Colbert, you're on notice! :lol:

Anyway, I REALLY hope Peezy doesn't go to the bungles or patsies. That just wouldn't be right. I wouldn't mind if he went to SF, and I think it would be appropriate if he went to the Cards since that's kind of becoming a haven for ex Steelers, and I'm sure Whiz knows enough about Peezy to sign him. I think Porter would be a good addition to the Cardinals.

Oh, and TG, do you mind if I use the "Who ride? We ride!" thing in my sig too?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Oh, and TG, do you mind if I use the "Who ride? We ride!" thing in my sig too?

Go for it :bigthumb: :cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2007, 06:29 AM
SF
Arizona
Cincinnati
New England

Dallas is also in the mix to get him.

As long as he doesnt go to a divisional rival, Im cool with that.

After catching a few z's and waking up this morning I feel almost surreal, kinda numb; yes that's how much of a Porter fan I am. You don't follow a guy closely all his career in college and pro and not feel something when he's no longer playing.

I sure am going to miss that #55 pacing the middle of the field standing behind a couple officials with his jersey tucked up under his pads and jawing at the opponent. :(

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2007, 06:53 AM
The post gazette's black n gold blog shows the Steeler Nation speaking out on the release of Porter.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/blogngold/

There's alot of good responses in there about it, it's a good read.

floodcitygirl
03-02-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm having a hard time today! Just can't quite get used to the idea of Porter being gone. Can't imagine him playing anywhere else.....

House of Steel
03-02-2007, 10:49 AM
I am still mighty pissed off over this garbage of cutting Porter. I am still numb over it. I feel like flipping the bird at Colbert for this one.

TEEMONT
03-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah I'm still reeling from this......

Friday133
03-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Some of you people need therapy. How can you be mad they cut him? Its saving the team cap space, and giving them a chance to sign Troy. Who would you rather have, an over the hill Porter, and Troy going into his prime?

House of Steel
03-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Some of us need threapy? Who the hell are you Dr. Einstein? By the way, :bigfinger: Now go **** off.

steelcurtaingal
03-02-2007, 11:25 AM
i am gonna miss his obnoxious dance. that sure always ticked off the opponents, and well, it was jsut amusing. i am gonna miss his smash talking too. it kept things interesting. we will move on though, and so will Porter.

floodcitygirl
03-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Some of you people need therapy. How can you be mad they cut him? Its saving the team cap space, and giving them a chance to sign Troy. Who would you rather have, an over the hill Porter, and Troy going into his prime?That's probably not what I need therapy for...lol....but... of course I don't want to lose Troy (I'm not an idiot!). I would like to have kept both and I don't think that's unreasonable. Of course we'll move on...no choice. I'm just saying that I'm not feeling good about it today. I'm uneasy about losing his energy with a team that's already had alot of change for this season. I'm not sure he couldn't have put up some great stats for us either. Last year most of our guys were off. Just giving my opinion...not that it means crap at this point.....

BR7
03-02-2007, 11:45 AM
NFLN (I'm sure it was a re-run), but they were running down the Free Agency for the AFC North. Cincy, with more than likely career ending injury to David Pollack, might be looking at Peezy.

Can you imagine that? Peezy in orange? My god.. all the trash he's talked over the years to them, lol. Anywhere but there Peezy..

floodcitygirl
03-02-2007, 11:49 AM
NFLN (I'm sure it was a re-run), but they were running down the Free Agency for the AFC North. Cincy, with more than likely career ending injury to David Pollack, might be looking at Peezy.

Can you imagine that? Peezy in orange? My god.. all the trash he's talked over the years to them, lol. Anywhere but there Peezy..Now I feel like puking! That would be the ultimate insult to injury.

Friday133
03-02-2007, 12:11 PM
I hope Porter is signed by the Bengals, that would be great. So much fun to watch his washed up *** get owned by Starks.

floodcitygirl
03-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I hope Porter is signed by the Bengals, that would be great. So much fun to watch his washed up *** get owned by Starks.Ok. Well if it happens, remind me to puke in your direction. (j/k) :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Starks hasn't owned anybody this year, if Porter is signed by the bungals he'll blow right by Starks like he's standing still :lol:

BlackGold4vr
03-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Just read an article by John Clayton and the Browns are said to be interested in Porter as well! All I know is the Steelers better bring their A-game to play whatever team he ends up on because he will definitely play with a little extra to show the Steelers what a mistake they made! Who wouldn't? I would rather see him go to a team outside our division so we wouldn't have to play his team twice a year! Im sure his feelings are hurt and I think he liked playing as a Steeler.....still wish we coulda kept him! :willybs:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2007, 12:51 PM
I would absolutely hate to see him go to the clowns or bungals..as much as he hated playing against those guys I would hope he wouldn't consider that move...but in this day and age money talks and bullshit walks so we'll see.

I agree if we play against him 2007, he'll be playing like a man possessed !

SteelerFan87
03-02-2007, 01:08 PM
I'd be shocked if Peezy goes to a team in our division, considering how much he hates them all. He's had all sorts of confrontations with the Ra-tans, Bungles, and Clowns. I also would hate to see him go to the Pats, but he seems to hate them too so I'd be shocked if he went there too. I really hope he goes to an NFC team, like the Cardinals. It would be perfect. He'd get to play for Whiz, AND he'd get to play his buddy Jeramy Stevens twice a year! :lol:

BB2W
03-02-2007, 01:17 PM
I'd be shocked if Peezy goes to a team in our division, considering how much he hates them all.The problem is... now he probabaly hates the Steelers. what better way to get back at them and prove you still had some good years left.

BlackGold4vr
03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
I'd be shocked if Peezy goes to a team in our division, considering how much he hates them all. He's had all sorts of confrontations with the Ra-tans, Bungles, and Clowns. I also would hate to see him go to the Pats, but he seems to hate them too so I'd be shocked if he went there too. I really hope he goes to an NFC team, like the Cardinals. It would be perfect. He'd get to play for Whiz, AND he'd get to play his buddy Jeramy Stevens twice a year! :lol:

I believe Peezy will play for whoever offers him the most money regardless of who it is! This is the business side of the sport that we fans hate so much! In all likelyhood this will be Peezy's last NFL contract and you could bet the farm he is going to be looking out for himself and his family! Don't think he will care who is signing the checks as long as they have lots of 0's on them! I wish him and his family good fortunes and good luck! Just hope we don't have to face his team twice a year! :lol:

Friday133
03-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Meh, Porter's washed up.

BB2W
03-02-2007, 01:31 PM
The Dolphins were one of several teams to express interest in former Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter this morning, agent Jeff Sperbeck said. Porter has not yet scheduled a visit with the team.

''We're just going to digest a lot of the information so we can try to figure out what we'll do next,'' said Sperbeck, who doesn't expect his client to need many visits to figure out his next destination. ``He's been around the league for a long time, so he's got a good idea of what all of the teams can offer.''

link: http://www.miamiherald.com/598/story/29140.html

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Well I'm sure whatever team portapotty ends up on. He will do a medicore job.

SteelerFan87
03-02-2007, 02:23 PM
The problem is... now he probabaly hates the Steelers. what better way to get back at them and prove you still had some good years left.

Yeah, it probably stings that we cut him, but I saw a clip on the news (or maybe FSN :dunno: ) where Porter was talking about it and he said it was probably for the best, because he knew the Steelers weren't going to give him a new contract, and he didn't want to play 1 year for $5 million and then be 1 year older as a free agent. This way he can still go and get a good contract somewhere, so cutting him now might have almost been like a favor from the Steelers so he could go somewhere where he'd get what he wants, kind of like how the Pens let John Leclair go rather than send him to the minors, and traded Dominic Moore because he wasn't going to get much ice time behind all our other centers.

Iron City South
03-03-2007, 01:33 AM
With Adailius Thomas going to the Pats, I would expect the 49'ers to throw down good money to make sure they land JPeazy ..

House of Steel
03-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Cleveland is jumping the gun to get Porter to **** us off.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-03-2007, 02:11 AM
Cleveland is jumping the gun to get Porter to **** us off.

Cleveland likes signing all our trash we throw away.