PDA

View Full Version : Not looking good for Joey Porter!

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2007, 09:44 PM
By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Feb 28, 2007

Free agency begins Thursday night at 12o’clock and the Steelers are freeing up money to become a player. But can they free up enough money to buy a starting linebacker? They’ll probably need one. Read below.

The renegotiation of Aaron Smith was just a tip of the iceberg for the Pittsburgh Steelers, who are busy in negotiations with all of their potential 2008 free agents ... except Joey Porter.
Porter's status with the team is becoming more uncertain with each passing day. In fact, team officials now doubt that Porter will be with the team in 2007.

Porter has given the Steelers no indication he’ll accept the terms of the final year of his contract, which calls for a salary of $4 million. Unless Porter or his agent provide such information to the Steelers, the team will refuse to pay him the $1 million roster bonus he’s due and in effect will release him.

That's the dilemma the Steelers face on the eve of the fiscal new year. Free agency begins March 2 and it appears the Steelers will have some money -- thanks to the renegotiation of Smith's contract -- to pursue a new linebacker, or maybe even a running back, defensive lineman or tight end.

The Steelers have depth problems at those positions and will begin searching for those answers on Friday. They can plug some holes by resigning their own free-agent backups, such as running back Najeh Davenport and safety Tyrone Carter, but it’s unlikely the team will bring back defensive lineman Rodney Bailey. Nor, it was indicated, are they interested in recently released New York Jets defensive lineman Kimo von Oelhoffen, the former Steeler.

The only starter involved in free agency Friday will be right tackle Max Starks, who, a source confirmed, will be offered a restricted free agent tender of either $1.8 million or $1.3 million. The former would require compensation of a first-round pick should the Steelers not match an offer, and the latter – a new option in restricted free agency – would require a second-round pick as compensation.

As for Porter, his problems with the Steelers began just before training camp in 2006 when then-coach Bill Cowher convinced him to report on time because he had two years left on his deal. After a sub-par season – by his standards -- and another knee surgery, Porter enters what would be the final year of his contract as a 30-year-old on a team that new Coach Mike Tomlin is looking to shape into his own image.

It should be remembered that Cowher, at his first training camp, cut the previous year’s first-round draft choice, Huey Richardson, and the move symbolically separated the new regime from the old. Porter, it appears, is making himself the sacrificial lamb for Tomlin.

I was really hoping Porter would return to us at least for his final year! If he leaves that opens up a huge hole not only at OLB but who will be the emotional leader of the defense? Stay tuned............:cursin:

K Train
02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
well they better plan on drafting a replacement....say ummm, ANTHONY SPENCER

SteelerFan87
02-28-2007, 09:57 PM
I'd much rather they get rid of Haggans and keep Peezy. Peezy is just as good or better than Haggans, and he provides the kind of emotional leadership that Haggans doesn't. If Porter is gone, they better draft someone, AND I want Adalius Thomas!

:greengrin:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Max will get the 1.8 million dollar tender which will make it a lot eaiser to keep him in the black n gold because nobody is going to give up a first round pick for him which is what we'll get if we don't match the offer.

He's good, but he's not worth a 1st rounder to anyone IMO.

This really pisses me off about Joey damnit ! The dude is one of my favorite all time Steelers, I can't believe he may not be back. Im still holding out hope.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-28-2007, 10:04 PM
I'd much rather they get rid of Haggans and keep Peezy. Peezy is just as good or better than Haggans, and he provides the kind of emotional leadership that Haggans doesn't. If Porter is gone, they better draft someone, AND I want Adalius Thomas!

:greengrin:

Adalius Thomas is a good player but remember he is close to 30 as well. He will be out of the Steelers price range especially considering his age.

DIESELMAN
02-28-2007, 10:04 PM
I was reading about Smith getting re-signed, I figured that would free up some cap money to get Porter back.

The deal, the largest ever given out by the team, will keep the eight-year NFL veteran with the Steelers through 2011. The 6-5, 298-pound Smith was scheduled to earn $4.5 million in salary in 2007. He was also scheduled to receive a $1 million roster bonus at the beginning of March.

But it’s likely the new deal will lower Smith’s 2007 base salary dramatically while also turning that $1 million bonus into a signing bonus that can be extended over the length of his new deal.

Such a move could free up at least $2 million from the team’s $109 million salary cap for 2007, putting the Steelers roughly $5 million under the cap heading into free agency.

Smith’s signing also frees up some needed space for the Steelers to pay other roster bonuses due in March, including the $1 million bonuses that linebacker Joey Porter and guard Alan Faneca are scheduled to receive. Other players due roster bonuses include cornerback Ike Taylor, who will receive $300,000, and left tackle Marvel Smith and running back Willie Parker, both of whom are due $250,000.

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2007, 10:05 PM
If this is true and Joey is truly gone? That should leave no doubt that the Steelers go with a DE/OLB in the 1st! This is not good news IMO! Porter was the emotional leader of our defense! Joey was to this defense what Jack Lambert was to the Steel Curtain D........the heart! While players might be plug and play........leaders are not! Spencer cannot fill Porters shoes as the leader of the defense........he'll be learning it! Sad day for Steeler fans if you asked me! :postal:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2007, 10:06 PM
It's not like we wouldnt have the 1 million to give to Porter. I mean why not give him his 1 million bonus and then try and resign him before FA 2008?

TEEMONT
02-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Joey is as good as gone...I bought an authentic jersey last summer of his...I figured he would have died before the season started....I apologize everyone.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Joey is as good as gone...I bought an authentic jersey last summer of his...I figured he would have died before the season started....I apologize everyone.

You are NOT allowed to buy any more players jersey's.

Koopa
02-28-2007, 10:12 PM

lol, i was about to buy it, but then i backed off cause i didn't think he'd be back much longer.....so i bought troy's jersey instead.......

even though porter doesn't produce on the field on a consistent basis his leadership will be missed........ but talent overcomes a lack of leadership and if we can get a young OLB that can get to the qb all will be good

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2007, 10:15 PM

Is that like when the neighbor washes his car and causes it to rain? :lol:
Appreciate you offering yourself up as the sacrificial lamb but its not your fault! For all we know Tomlin might be weeding out the Cowher loyalists or perhaps it is strictly a salary cap decision! :scratch:

K Train
02-28-2007, 10:19 PM
i think harrison can replace porter but thats not what im worried about, im worried about haggans, i thought he'd be the odd man out in this and now drafting an OLB in the first round is ABSOLUTY neccessary

BlitzburghNation
02-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Am i the only one that seen this coming ? History has shown,that the front office rarely resign players his age , look who we've lost over the years
Lake,woodson,Lloyd,green etc....... We all know the list, When a player gets on the wrong side of 30 late in there career they simple don't resign them !
But look at the positive,it'll free up cap room to maybe get Polamalu & Ben
resigned :dunno: Don't get me wrong, I hate to see porter go,but what can we do :dunno: We've got through it before and we'll get through it again !
Also if you've noticed almost every player we let go, never played like they did in STEEL TOWN :popcorn:

K Train
02-28-2007, 10:24 PM
thats true, once we let them go they suck lol

Blitzburgh55
02-28-2007, 10:25 PM
well they better plan on drafting a replacement....say ummm, ANTHONY SPENCER

Spencer is a 2nd or 3rd rounder doubt he will be a replacment

DIESELMAN
02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Losing Porter will leave a void as far as experience and leadership that will be hard to overcome in one season. Damn this sucks if its true.

TEEMONT
02-28-2007, 10:28 PM
thats true, once we let them go they suck lol

Well almost all of them...Woodson was a beast after he left. He was just never a shut down CB again.

Kordell played better for the Bears then he ever did for us.....lol

Koopa
02-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Spencer is a 2nd or 3rd rounder doubt he will be a replacment

ok........never speak again :lol: you obviously don't follow college ball :lol: or read up on prospects

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Well almost all of them...Woodson was a beast after he left. He was just never a shut down CB again.

Kordell played better for the Bears then he ever did for us.....lol

That's not saying much ! :lol:

K Train
02-28-2007, 10:37 PM
everything ive read on spencer is beastly and says the guy is gonna be great :dunno:

TEEMONT
02-28-2007, 10:37 PM
ok........never speak again :lol: you obviously don't follow college ball :lol: or read up on prospects

eh...I could pppoooosssssiibblllyyy see Spencer falling to the 2nd round....but if he made it to the third round, then we should start testing NFL GM's, execs, and coaches for drugs too.

K Train
02-28-2007, 10:39 PM
i dont think he'll drop at this point and if he does it because he didnt get alot of attention because he was at purdue.....hes a beast and hes done everything right so far......

Koopa
02-28-2007, 10:41 PM
i dont think he'll drop at this point and if he does it because he didnt get alot of attention because he was at purdue.....hes a beast and hes done everything right so far......

school has nothing to do with a drop, look at demarcus ware, who the hell is troy??? lol......

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2007, 10:41 PM

It seems you are not the only one to make outrageous statements meant only to "stir the pot" (Bradshaw couldn't play in todays league) :rofl:

BlitzburghNation
02-28-2007, 10:44 PM
That's not saying much ! :lol:

Remember we talked about this in January :blah: Heard on sirius that Joey will probably be an X steeler :banging: They also said that the way porter runs his mouth probably didn't set good with tomlin either ! They pointed out his last antics when he goudged ratbird jamal lewis in the eyes,,,,,,

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2007, 10:46 PM
If Tomlin can't appreciate the way Joey plays then there is something really wrong with that picture. None of us knows for sure if that's true or not and if Joey doesnt come back I'd hardly think it was because he was a trash talker but rather it being more of a business decision based on his level of play in their eyes vs how much he wants.

Koopa
02-28-2007, 10:49 PM
If Tomlin can't appreciate the way Joey plays then there is something really wrong with that picture. None of us knows for sure if that's true or not and if Joey doesnt come back I'd hardly think it was because he was a trash talker but rather it being more of a business decision based on his level of play in their eyes vs how much he wants.

don't blame this on tomlin.....tomlin is a puppet, and it's clear, this is all colberts work......tomlin won't have any real say for at least 2 years.........

and even then, it's a business, and porter doesn't produce on the field on a consisntent basis so i understand why they might let him go.........he isn't worth big bucks, only worth a fair contract, not what he wants

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2007, 10:56 PM
I didn't say it was true, in fact I said that None of us knows for sure if it is. I was just simply saying that IF it was true, that's bullshit for that to be a reason to let someone go... but in any event, I think his play has been good, despite his injuries he's still performed at a high level and he is the unquestioned emotional leader of this team.

The dude gets sacks, makes tackles, drops into coverage....to the naked eye of non Steeler fan it may seem like he's not done well but to those of us that are fans and know what our LB's do in our system, it's not all about the sacks.

All I know is, this team is needing leaders now within the locker room of 53 guys, more than ever, and letting go proven leaders is not in the best interest of this team IMO.

TEEMONT
02-28-2007, 10:56 PM
don't blame this on tomlin.....tomlin is a puppet, and it's clear, this is all colberts work......tomlin won't have any real say for at least 2 years.........

and even then, it's a business, and porter doesn't produce on the field on a consisntent basis so i understand why they might let him go.........he isn't worth big bucks, only worth a fair contract, not what he wants

it pains me to say this, b/c I love Joey and hate agreeing with Koop....but.....

I agree

BBG7
02-28-2007, 11:00 PM
I will definately miss his leadership on the field and in the locker room. I always loved Peezy and I will be sad to see him go. I wish the Steelers would try to find a way to keep him, but I really don't think they are going too. I'm sure Tomlin isn't the reason this is happening either. I would expect that he would want a leader on the team like Joey. It is a business though and sometimes things happen!

Koopa
02-28-2007, 11:01 PM
i really do hate that name peezy lol

TEEMONT
02-28-2007, 11:02 PM
we could always try to get Peyton Manning to play OLB

BBG7
02-28-2007, 11:04 PM
we could always try to get Peyton Manning to play OLB

:lol: :lol: here you go again :lol: :lol:

DIESELMAN
02-28-2007, 11:05 PM
The dude gets sacks, makes tackles, drops into coverage....to the naked eye of non Steeler fan it may seem like he's not done well but to those of us that are fans and know what our LB's do in our system, it's not all about the sacks. He has his sundays where he disappears but when hes on, hes on.

All I know is, this team is needing leaders now within the locker room of 53 guys, more than ever, and letting go proven leaders is not in the best interest of this team IMO.
I remember people saying we'll be fine as far as leadership when Kimo was let go, we didn't really do that good when he left. Now we're letting more leadership and experience leave? Crazy but we don't know everything goin on behind closed doors either, lets hope theres something in the works :crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2007, 11:08 PM
:iagree: That's the bad thing about being a fan is we only know what we hear in the media and what we think will happen based on past experience with our team. I hate not knowing why decisions are really made and only getting part of the story because no matter much the media puts out to us, there's always a whole nother world behind closed doors.

K Train
02-28-2007, 11:10 PM
i kinda think "leadership" is a little overrated, everything should be pretty intense with a new coach to impress, and players get cut or retire all the time, there "leadership" voids are filled, it just happens

Koopa
02-28-2007, 11:12 PM
and losing kimo didn't have much of an impact, the biggest impact was ben smashing his head against a wind shield, he couldn't keep the defense off the field so they didn't play as good cause they were tired

i'd really hate to see porter go cause haggans isn't that good, and harrison can't stay healthy, and he always seems to get broken when no one touches him lol.........but i'll understand why he is let go cause he isn't worth big bucks

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2007, 11:13 PM
The leadership void that was left when Jerome retired still hasn't been filled. Kimo was a big leader, that one hasn't been filled. If Joey leaves that's just another void that has to be filled. It takes a certain type of player to fire up the troops and not everybody has that ability.

Leading by example is one thing and you have to have that on a team; but leading by speech, and firing up the troops with heart pounding pep talks is needed too. This is an emotional violent sport, the more fired up you get the better IMO.

K Train
02-28-2007, 11:14 PM
the biggest impact was cowher not giving a ****.....im telling you

BR7
02-28-2007, 11:17 PM
So when he goes.. who's gonna nab him? Cleveland seems to take our leftovers.. see Earl Holmes. I was pissed the Steelers let him go, but they obviously know **** we don't.

I can see Troy being the emotional leader on D that we need. Not mouthy like Porter, but his play speaks for himself.

Would be nice if he stays, but I have faith in the FO to get a suitable replacement. They always find LB gems that we turn into studs.

See ya Peezy.. glad I didn't buy yinz jersey.

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2007, 11:18 PM
I am now really hoping that we resign Starks and then take 2 defensive players in rounds 1 and 2. Perhaps Spencer and Timmons? O-line in the 3rd. Steve Smith is being projected in the 7th round!!! Resign Dookie and take a risk on a player like Chris Henry who is also projected as a 6th or 7th rounder. Our defense is definitely going to take on a new personality without Peezy! But we can still dominate the AFC North!

:steelersrule:

K Train
he will be a niner along with adalius thomas

BlitzburghRockCity
Yes that was a big impact, but it's all a snow ball effect;

Jerome retiring
Ben's accident
Cowher's apathetic approach to the season
Injuries to Hines early on in the season
Ben's concussion

The list goes on and on, everything and everyone contributed to it, but you can't discount leadership on a team. If you don't have leadership you're nothing more than a bunch of guys running around on a field without continuity. Every sports team has leaders that the others look to in a time of need. Every sport, every team, period. The NFL is no different, the players on any given team have talked countless times in interviews about this player or that player in the huddle where everybody looks to them for a spark, to make a play, etc.

BlitzburghNation
02-28-2007, 11:31 PM
The list goes on and on, everything and everyone contributed to it, but you can't discount leadership on a team. If you don't have leadership you're nothing more than a bunch of guys running around on a field without continuity. Every sports team has leaders that the others look to in a time of need. Every sport, every team, period. The NFL is no different, the players on any given team have talked countless times in interviews about this player or that player in the huddle where everybody looks to them for a spark, to make a play, etc.

A new leader will rise up,they always do,,,,,Remember when we lost Lloyd & Kirkland :scratch: Polamalu is a leader not by voice but by action,maybe harrison or farrior will become leaders :dunno: Who knows,we survived before and we'll survive again :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2007, 11:46 PM
That's my whole point, why make it so much more difficult then we have too. I don't profess to know the behind scenes reasons for his possible departure; I can only speculate like everybody else. Yes we will survive, we always do, but the last 2 years we've needed leaders to step up and nobody has and that's the whole point. All those players you mentioned haven't stepped up yet and if somebody doesn't this year we're going to suffer for it in some way.

BlitzburghNation
03-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Let's just keep the faith and watch a leader rise up :tt02: One always has !
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :helmet: :helmet: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Koopa
03-01-2007, 12:05 AM
i think farrior would step in nice as a leader on the field, he may not be that **** talking fool that porter is sometimes, but farrior just looks like a person that if he speaks ppl will listen

BlackGold4vr
03-01-2007, 12:08 AM
We have lost so many defensive stars in the last 15 years that they are too many to list. Yet we have played in 6 AFC Championship games and hosted 4 of them! Players will step up! As much as I sometimes don't like the business side of football....it is necessary to make difficult choices! Our linebacking corps was getting old "like Spencer kidded about" and here is a chance to get younger, faster and more aggressive! Jack Lambert was the DPOY his rookie season and did add leadership by his play! Spencer and Timmons (I am now hoping for both) could upgrade our defensive play. Throw in James Harrison with the previously mentioned players and we went from "old" to very young overnight! I remain an optimist! Lets see what Dick Lebeau and Mike Tomlin can do with a transformed defense. We could be better.....

:flex: this is Lawrence Timmons

:boxing: this is James Harrison

:mohawk1: this is Anthony Spencer

BlitzburghNation
03-01-2007, 12:10 AM
i think farrior would step in nice as a leader on the field, he may not be that **** talking fool that porter is sometimes, but farrior just looks like a person that if he speaks ppl will listen

:iagree: Looks like farrior might be the one :dunno:

K Train
03-01-2007, 12:14 AM
haha how are you guys just gonna think you know who the "leader" is gonna be....ok i'll play.....Anthony Smith lol

Koopa
03-01-2007, 12:16 AM
haha how are you guys just gonna think you know who the "leader" is gonna be....ok i'll play.....Anthony Smith lol

it's the offseason, what else are we supposed to do :dunno: :lol:

anthony smith looks like he could be a leader, he looks like he's gonna be a cocky soon of a gun like porter is lol........ i say that cause of his high stepping when he got the int lol

K Train
03-01-2007, 12:20 AM
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/K-Train89/ASmith.jpg

SteelersWoman
03-01-2007, 06:19 AM
[quote=BLITZBURGH NATION;76102]They also said that the way porter runs his mouth probably didn't set good with tomlin either ! ...quote]

When Mike talked about what kind of guy he himself is (more on the quiet side), I had a sinking feeling right then and there that he wouldn't appreciate Joey's "rashness" shall we say. I'm not sayin that's the only reason Joey may get cut, but it might factor into the decision.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 07:06 AM
There's plenty of people on our defense that lead by example via there play on the field: Polamalu, Hampton, Farrior, Aaron Smith..but I stand by my opinion that you have to have vocal leaders too, guys that get in your face and tell to your ****in *** in gear and get out there make a play! Guys are Guys, and most times on the field, when your peers tell you something, you tend to listen and get fired up yourself.

AZ_Steeler
03-01-2007, 10:57 AM
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/K-Train89/ASmith.jpg

Yeah!!!!! :cope: This Smith is flat out AWESOME, although I don't quite think he will become the leader of the defense because there are other guys like some long haired dude named Troy something :dunno: ;)

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 11:21 AM
it's the offseason, what else are we supposed to do :dunno: :lol:

anthony smith looks like he could be a leader, he looks like he's gonna be a cocky soon of a gun like porter is lol........ i say that cause of his high stepping when he got the int lol

Plus he has Thomas Everett's number...and that guy was a bad ***.

kgreen
03-01-2007, 11:47 AM
I was really hoping Porter would return to us at least for his final year! If he leaves that opens up a huge hole not only at OLB but who will be the emotional leader of the defense? Stay tuned............:cursin:

You know what this could be a sign that the steelers are using Joey to trade down and nab Poz! Which, IMO, would make sense instead of drafting a tweener like Spencer (remember Mike Vrable?). I would love it if the Steelers got Poz or Tim Shaw for that matter (they both had great combines, plus they come from a school were academics is just as, if not more important than athletics.) Both players are extremely discaplined and Poz showed he can play the 3-4 even though I don't think it matters.

Poz certainly could fill that void left by Joey.:helmet:

K Train
03-01-2007, 11:52 AM
no way, we need someone like spencer or moss more than poz imo, although how about this.....Spencer AND Poz lol....now thats beastly

kgreen
03-01-2007, 12:00 PM
no way, we need someone like spencer or moss more than poz imo, although how about this.....Spencer AND Poz lol....now thats beastly

Now THAT WOULD BE SWEET!!!! Yeah trade Peezy for another first round pick, take Poz and Spencer! That's a great plan!!!!:tt02:

K Train
03-01-2007, 12:02 PM
We would have to trade him rather than letting him walk wouldnt we?

kgreen
03-01-2007, 12:09 PM
We would have to trade him rather than letting him walk wouldnt we?

Yeah if you want both Spencer and Poz. I mean the Steelers will want big compensation for Joey if they trade him and trust me there should be plenty of teams that want Joey.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah if you want both Spencer and Poz. I mean the Steelers will want big compensation for Joey if they trade him and trust me there should be plenty of teams that want Joey.

Not on the wrongside of 30 and at 5 milion dollars this upcoming season. Sorry Joey you want to play. You got to take a major paycut.

K Train
03-01-2007, 12:13 PM
teams like SF and AZ in desperate need of defense with tons of cap room will pay for guys like porter and thomas

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
let them over pay for joey. Who will not be as effective in a different scheme. Plus he is a step slower.

K Train
03-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Hey whatever works, people like porter get over paid all the time, and if we get something out of it....good for us

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Taking Poz and Spencer would be beastly, but last I heard they were projecting Poz at ILB where he'd fit in great but it's not like Foote or Farrior have a lost a step just yet, but Farriors deal is up in the next 2 years so we could groom him to step in.

I don't want Joey to leave, comon FO, make this happen and keep him here!

augustashark
03-01-2007, 01:05 PM
IMO, signing for say 3yrs 10 million would be the best case. Second would be to pull off a trade.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Hey Joey, I hope you enjoy Arizona

K Train
03-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Taking Poz and Spencer would be beastly, but last I heard they were projecting Poz at ILB where he'd fit in great but it's not like Foote or Farrior have a lost a step just yet, but Farriors deal is up in the next 2 years so we could groom him to step in.

I don't want Joey to leave, comon FO, make this happen and keep him here!

but Poz can play on the outside, even though i think hes gonna be a beast on he inside. Anyway he would get playing time either way.....Farrior isnt exactly in his prime

floodcitygirl
03-01-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't want Joey to leave, comon FO, make this happen and keep him here! I agree. :pray:

K Train
03-01-2007, 01:39 PM
ive kinda already excepted him as gone :dunno:, at least if he stays it will be a good surprise

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Good bye Joey

TampaSteelGirl
03-01-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't want to see Joey go!!! They better find a way to keep him!! :tt02:

floodcitygirl
03-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Good bye JoeyCome on Philly! Wouldn't you at least LIKE to see him stay??? Not just for his stats, but for what he does for the team AND how opponents view him??

Koopa
03-01-2007, 02:57 PM
i've slept on the idea of porter being gone, and the more i think about it, the more i don't care, he's old and doesn't produce on a consistent basis, he's not worth what he thinks he's worth............ i'll miss him because i like his **** talking, but at times that all he was...... his leadership may not be easily replaced but his stats can be replaced easily........ it's a business and the rooney's don't want him so i'll agree with them, they haven't let us done yet so no point in whining over wanting porter to stay............. also, y'all need to stop fearing change so much, i think that's why some ppl don't really want him to leave, they just fear a change, and change isn't always a bad thing...... hell if we keep porter he could potentially become a problem in the locker room cause he's gonna wanna get paid before anything else...........

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Come on Philly! Wouldn't you at least LIKE to see him stay??? Not just for his stats, but for what he does for the team AND how opponents view him??

FCG I think Porters best days are behind him. He has not been the same since he had a bullet put in his ***. I'm glad to see him go. We can bring in someone younger and more productive. Plus I do not want to committ five million dollars to a 30 year old undeachieving linebacker. With the sun setting on his career. Time for for some new blood.

K Train
03-01-2007, 03:02 PM
also, y'all need to stop fearing change so much, i think that's why some ppl don't really want him to leave, they just fear a change, and change isn't always a bad thing.

thats what im sayin, leadership roles are always being filled, players cant be around forever

Koopa
03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
FCG I think Porters best days are behind him. He has not been the same since he had a bullet put in his ***. I'm glad to see him go. We can bring in someone younger and more productive. Plus I do not want to committ five million dollars to a 30 year old undeachieving linebacker. With the sun setting on his career. Time for for some new blood.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

K Train
03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
nah porter had 2 great seaosn after being shot in the *** lol

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 03:09 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Holy crap mark this day down. Koopa and I agree. :lol:

floodcitygirl
03-01-2007, 03:16 PM
He has never been one of my favorite players....I'm more of a Troy kind of girl. But I still think that there is something to be said for the energy that he brings. I'm not convinced that his best days are gone. Last year was rough on everybody. I'd like to see what he is able to do this season with a new coach and hopefully a fully engaged Ben. I'm not afraid of new blood....we already are going to have that obviously. I'd like to see what he can do with it. :2cents:

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 03:17 PM
If we let him go...I GUARANTEE that by game 8 people will be bitching about the decision . Anybody remember the Miami game this year? If you are bitching b/c he isn't consistentley great, then you need to realize there arent too many OLB's in a 3-4 system that are GREAT all the time.

he has never had mroe than 60 tackles in a year (he missed two games this year and had 40) or more than 10.5 sacks in a year (7 this year). Just b/c he wasn't making a game-closing sack in the playoffs this year, everyone is saying he is over-rated.

Peezy has a few more years left in him. There is nothing wrong with keeping a proven vet around. Should we cut Hines b/c his stats have dropped significantly the last two years?

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Porters production does not equal his salary. Plus I have heard more then once. He is looking to be paid the avg of the tope five linebackers in the league. No thank you. Thanks for everything joey. But it is time to go our seperate ways.

Koopa
03-01-2007, 03:22 PM
If we let him go...I GUARANTEE that by game 8 people will be bitching about the decision . Anybody remember the Miami game this year? If you are bitching b/c he isn't consistentley great, then you need to realize there arent too many OLB's in a 3-4 system that are GREAT all the time.

he has never had mroe than 60 tackles in a year (he missed two games this year and had 40) or more than 10.5 sacks in a year (7 this year). Just b/c he wasn't making a game-closing sack in the playoffs this year, everyone is saying he is over-rated.

Peezy has a few more years left in him. There is nothing wrong with keeping a proven vet around. Should we cut Hines b/c his stats have dropped significantly the last two years?

i said peezy is banned lol, it's a GAY nickname lol............hines didn't ask for more money then he's worth..........porter is not worth what he thinks he's worth........ the only way i want him back is if he takes what he's really worth.........

kgreen
03-01-2007, 03:26 PM
i said peezy is banned lol, it's a GAY nickname lol............hines didn't ask for more money then he's worth..........porter is not worth what he thinks he's worth........ the only way i want him back is if he takes what he's really worth.........

Good point Koopa. I think the Steelers should trade him and someone else (Cedric Wilson?) for another first round pick to nab Poz and Spencer.

Friday133
03-01-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't know why everyone is so concerned about losing Porter. He's washed up. I'm glad he's gone.

kgreen
03-01-2007, 03:35 PM
I don't know why everyone is so concerned about losing Porter. He's washed up. I'm glad he's gone.

I wouldn't say he's washed up, he's just lost a step. :helmet:

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 03:36 PM

well you are the leading authority on gay.....Peezy has a year left on his contract....he won't hold out this year, keep him. The stats don't lie, he hasn't dropped off. He is still a force and he can play the damn game.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2007, 03:39 PM

Who exactly do you think we have on the roster now to take Porters place? There is nobody in our LB right now that can stay healthy, has the experience, leadership qualities, intensity, or talent to equal him at this point. James Harrison can't stay healthy, Arnold Harrison has a good upside but is inexperienced, and that's it.

Haggans need to be released, Porter needs to stay and then draft Spencer and see what happens IMO.

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Who exactly do you think we have on the roster now to take Porters place? There is nobody in our LB right now that can stay healthy, has the experience, leadership qualities, intensity, or talent to equal him at this point. James Harrison can't stay healthy, Arnold Harrison has a good upside but is inexperienced, and that's it.

Haggans need to be released, Porter needs to stay and then draft Spencer and see what happens IMO.

You didn't hear? Some dude from Purdue is going to step right in and be an automatic Superstar:banging:

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-01-2007, 03:55 PM

Time to find out who will step up. Porter should be gone shortly.

DIESELMAN
03-01-2007, 03:55 PM
You didn't hear? Some dude from Purdue is going to step right in and be an automatic Superstar:banging:
lol.....yeah Spencer if drafted (I doubt we draft him) would have a lot of learning and a lot of work to do before he steps in as a OLB.

Peezy has a year left on his contract....he won't hold out this year, keep him. The stats don't lie, he hasn't dropped off. He is still a force and he can play the damn game.I agree, after last year he would be a fool to holdout. He needs to do his last year left and show to us and the rest of the NFL hes got some juice left and then he can go his own way.

BlackGold4vr
03-01-2007, 04:15 PM
I agree, after last year he would be a fool to holdout. He needs to do his last year left and show to us and the rest of the NFL hes got some juice left and then he can go his own way.

If the Steeler FO doesn't pay Joey his 1 million dollar roster bonus by tomorrow he becomes an immediate free agent! Thats what this whole thread has been discussing because it looks like they don't intend to pay him! The article at the beginning of this thread says they are in negotiations with everyone except for Porter! :bigthumb: I have read that insiders expect to see him released sometime tomorrow!

DIESELMAN
03-01-2007, 04:31 PM
If the Steeler FO doesn't pay Joey his 1 million dollar roster bonus by tomorrow he becomes an immediate free agent! Thats what this whole thread has been discussing because it looks like they don't intend to pay him! The article at the beginning of this thread says they are in negotiations with everyone except for Porter! :bigthumb: I have read that insiders expect to see him released sometime tomorrow!

Calm down bro! I realize what this thread is about! I was commenting on what someone else said! IMO both sides have been dragging their feet on what to do with Porter. When they release Porter we have a big hole to fill in ways of leadership and experience. Now they are at the deadline with no indications from Porter's agent on what he wants to do. So what happens when Porter is gone? We were already needing depth at OLB, now like you said earlier bring in a washed up FA? We will be in a bind in more ways then one, depth, experience and leadership.

BlackGold4vr
03-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Calm down bro! I realize what this thread is about! I was commenting on what someone else said! IMO both sides have been dragging their feet on what to do with Porter. When they release Porter we have a big hole to fill in ways of leadership and experience. Now they are at the deadline with no indications from Porter's agent on what he wants to do. So what happens when Porter is gone? We were already needing depth at OLB, now like you said earlier bring in a washed up FA? We will be in a bind in more ways then one, depth, experience and leadership.

I would rather they wheel and deal to grab 2 top 40 picks in the draft and use both picks on defense! Spencer, Timmons, Moss, Siler, Posluzny, Willis Grab 2 of these guys in any combination! Between 2 of those guys and James Harrison I believe we could fill the holes. :yesnod:

kgreen
03-01-2007, 04:48 PM
I would rather they wheel and deal to grab 2 top 40 picks in the draft and use both picks on defense! Spencer, Timmons, Moss, Siler, Posluzny, Willis Grab 2 of these guys in any combination! Between 2 of those guys and James Harrison I believe we could fill the holes. :yesnod:

:yesnod:Good Idea:yesnod:

K Train
03-01-2007, 05:02 PM
i think Harrison can replace porters productivity quick, but i have ???? about Haggans, i thought he'd be the oddman out with porter, harrison and (insert draft pick here) If Haggans cant be as productive we need someone to step up faster than expected. Something we dont realize is that now that cowhers gone, a rookie might be able to step up faster. I think sometimes cowher would hold a rookie back, like there is no way if we drafted a OLB this year they would even have a shot at starting regardless of outperforming haggans in camp. I think cowher would sometimes make us beleive a rookies learning period was a little more than it really was. Rookies are more pro ready every year and theres no reason someone cant step up right away.

BlackGold4vr
03-01-2007, 05:11 PM
I think sometimes cowher would hold a rookie back, like there is no way if we drafted a OLB this year they would even have a shot at starting regardless of outperforming haggans in camp. I think cowher would sometimes make us beleive a rookies learning period was a little more than it really was. Rookies are more pro ready every year and theres no reason someone cant step up right away.

Agree 100%! Lots of rookies start in the NFL every year and some have even made the pro-bowl! Jack Lambert was the 1974 DROY and played in every game! They won the Super Bowl that year and you couldn't have been able to tell by Jacks play that he was a rookie! If a guy can play.....he can play! Yes, he will get better as the year goes along with his reads but the veterans on the team are also responsible for shouting out directions when they pick up reads on the offense! Should a rook be the defensive captain? Of course not! But if the dude is a stud no reason he couldn't be captain his sophmore year! :yesnod:

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Did anyone announce that he is cut? I just saw it on NFL live.

Friday133
03-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Cya Joey.

K Train
03-01-2007, 05:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2784626

After two weeks of internal debate, the Pittsburgh Steelers decided to cut ties with one of their most recognized players -- linebacker Joey Porter.

Verron Haynes

Haynes

Joey Porter

Porter

Porter and running back Verron Haynes were released Thursday as the Steelers got under the salary cap. But the decision to release Porter wasn't as much a cap move as it was a change in direction. A three-time Pro Bowl performer, Porter turns 30 on March 22. And with new coach Mike Tomlin taking over for Bill Cowher, the Steelers were looking to go in a different direction with their linebacking corps.

Porter is one of the league's most outspoken players and is willing to verbally challenge opponents. His approach at time did not mesh well with the Steelers' image.

Over the past couple of days, Pittsburgh shopped Porter in trade discussions and there was some interest. In the end, the Steelers decided to give him the chance to find a new team instead of sending him somewhere he might not want to go.

Porter was entering the final year of his contract and there weren't any plans to sign him to an extension. Porter was scheduled to make $5.225 million this season. His release, and Haynes', save the Steelers $6.065 million of cap room.

Because Porter is still a productive player, some people in the organization wanted to keep him. On Thursday, management decided to move on. James Harrison is expected to take over for Porter at outside linebacker.

Koopa
03-01-2007, 05:19 PM
well you are the leading authority on gay.....Peezy has a year left on his contract....he won't hold out this year, keep him. The stats don't lie, he hasn't dropped off. He is still a force and he can play the damn game.

can you say hypocrite???? first thing you say in a response is call me gay.....practice what you where preaching in that other thread...........

K Train
03-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Agree 100%! Lots of rookies start in the NFL every year and some have even made the pro-bowl! Jack Lambert was the 1974 DROY and played in every game! They won the Super Bowl that year and you couldn't have been able to tell by Jacks play that he was a rookie! If a guy can play.....he can play! Yes, he will get better as the year goes along with his reads but the veterans on the team are also responsible for shouting out directions when they pick up reads on the offense! Should a rook be the defensive captain? Of course not! But if the dude is a stud no reason he couldn't be captain his sophmore year! :yesnod:

Lofa Tatupu was captain his rookie year.....so it CAN happen

floodcitygirl
03-01-2007, 05:22 PM
:banging: I'm going to the gym!

TEEMONT
03-01-2007, 05:25 PM
can you say hypocrite???? first thing you say in a response is call me gay.....practice what you where preaching in that other thread...........

I dunno if saying you are an authortiy on gayness, actually means you are gay, but whatever.

kgreen
03-01-2007, 05:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2784626

So much for my trade idea! I still think we should draft Poz.........

Koopa
03-01-2007, 05:41 PM
So much for my trade idea! I still think we should draft Poz.........

i don't think poz is worth a number 15 pick.......but he is gonna be pretty badass in this league

kgreen
03-01-2007, 05:43 PM
i don't think poz is worth a number 15 pick.......but he is gonna be pretty badass in this league

Yeah thats why we should trade down

K Train
03-01-2007, 05:45 PM
IF we trade down in the first, i want to go WAY up in the 2nd to get a good RB.

LonghornSteelerzFan
03-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Maybe some team will be stupid enough to sign Max Starks so we get a 1st round pick. That would paint a much prettier picture for our draft.

As far as I'm concerned Porter can still play and was a presence both on the field and in the locker room. He will be missed and others are going to have to step up to fill his shoes.