PDA

View Full Version : 4 more years for Aaron Smith

BlackGold4vr
02-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Four more years for Steelers DE
by Staff of SteelCityInsider.com, February 27, 2007 at 5:39pm ET

Aaron Smith Profile

The Steelers have agreed to a four-year contract extension with starting DE Aaron Smith that will keep him in Pittsburgh through the 2011 season.

Smith was entering the final year of his contact and was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in 2008.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now lets lock up Troy!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Waahhoooo !!! This is freekin awesome ! Smith will finish his career with us. This dude is one of the most underrated defensive players in the league today. Im glad he's with us for the long haul!

:tt02:

Prosdo
02-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Good news!

Captcoolhand
02-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Cool beans!:yesnod: glad to hear, even if it's just actually 3 years to spread it out. :clap:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Waahhoooo !!! This is freekin awesome ! Smith will finish his career with us. This dude is one of the most underrated defensive players in the league today. Im glad he's with us for the long haul!

:tt02:

Aaron Smith as an hell of football player. I'm glad he will remain in Black@Gold for the next few years.

Koopa
02-27-2007, 07:26 PM
good ****, i knew he wasn't gonna leave.........but yup, time to lock up troy........

BB2W
02-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Great news!... I'm sure he can play the 3 when there in the 4-3.

House of Steel
02-27-2007, 07:52 PM
OH YEAH!!! I love this. Now, let's lock Troy up for a multi-year deal and then get to real business.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-27-2007, 07:54 PM
five year deal twenty five million dollars.

Stairwayto7
02-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Great news! Smart thinking Steelers

House of Steel
02-27-2007, 07:55 PM
That is a nice contract :bigthumb:

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-27-2007, 07:57 PM
It's a dam good start !! Hopefully they keep it rolling !!

kgreen
02-27-2007, 08:14 PM
YEAAAAH!!! I love Aaron Smith.
He is a vastly under-rated DE and he is well deserving of the $

:helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2007, 08:21 PM
We're off to a good start. FA hasn't even started yet for this offseason and we're already making progress towards 2008 ! Keep it going, and bring home Troy and Alan Faneca !

AZ_Steeler
02-27-2007, 08:32 PM
:woot: Time to focus on Troy!!! :cope:

DIESELMAN
02-27-2007, 08:40 PM
We're off to a good start. FA hasn't even started yet for this offseason and we're already making progress towards 2008 ! Keep it going, and bring home Troy and Alan Faneca !

Thats right, lets get these guys signed and then concentrate on the draft. :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

BlitzburghNation
02-27-2007, 08:52 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now lets lock up Troy!

Great news :clap: I Agree let's get TROY signed :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2007, 08:53 PM
If we could get Troy, Alan, Dan Kreider, and of course Aaron Smith who's already signed...under contract before this offseason is over we'll be in good shape for the 2008 offseason.

I'd like to see Porter get his deal too !

K Train
02-27-2007, 08:58 PM
cross carriker of the list.....bring on spencer!

House of Steel
02-27-2007, 08:59 PM
How much cap space do we have now that we have Aaron Smith under our belt?

Steelerlyn
02-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Good move, IMHO. He will be useful whether it's a 3-4 or 4-3. Aaron is still playing at a high level and I think he will contribute for at least 3 of the next four years. Maybe its his plain surname but he sure is ignored a lot by the pregame shows and the average Berman-esque announcers. I suspect he isn't ignored by opposing O co-ordinators. It's a risk giving a guy his age a longer term contract but I think he is Kimo-like in longevity. Good signing and an indication that our new Coach likes what he sees with Aaron.

:crossfingers: :tt02:

BlackGold4vr
02-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Now that we have the original, no need to draft his clone! :lol:

:steelersrule:

PS. Still some interest in the Mean Joe Greene clone [{(Okoye)}]

JOE GREENE
Defensive Tackle >>> 6-4, 275
(North Texas State)
1969-1981 Pittsburgh Steelers

Charles Edward Greene. . .Consensus All-America, 1968. . . No. 1 draft pick, 1969. . .Became "cornerstone of franchise" that dominated the NFL in 1970s. . .Exceptional team leader, possessed size, speed, quickness, strength, determination . . .NFL Defensive Player of Year, 1972, 1974. . . All-Pro or All-AFC nine years. . .Played in four Super Bowls, six AFC title games, 10 Pro Bowls. . .Born September 24, 1946, in Temple, Texas.

Koopa
02-27-2007, 09:11 PM
the reason smith is so underrated is because in the 3-4. defensive linemen don't really get a chance to shine in a sense of the sacks and ****, the media makes a big deal about the players that get a lot of sacks, but smith does so much more for this d...... if we were to move to a 4-3 i think he'd be an even more beast going after the qb

K Train
02-27-2007, 09:14 PM
yeah **** carriker

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2007, 09:16 PM
The man has a motor that just doesn't quit. He's an old school, tough guy that may not always get the accolades but I'd hate to see our defense without him in the lineup.

BlackGold4vr
02-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Steelers sign Smith
By SteelCityInsider.com

Posted Feb 27, 2007

The signing of defensive end Aaron Smith could free the Steelers up to keep outside linebacker Joey Porter.

The Steelers on Tuesday made their first move in preparations for the upcoming free agent period at the end of the week by signing defensive end Aaron Smith to a five-year contract extension worth $25 million.

The deal, the largest ever given out by the team, will keep the eight-year NFL veteran with the Steelers through 2011. The 6-5, 298-pound Smith was scheduled to earn $4.5 million in salary in 2007. He was also scheduled to receive a $1 million roster bonus at the beginning of March.

But it’s likely the new deal will lower Smith’s 2007 base salary dramatically while also turning that $1 million bonus into a signing bonus that can be extended over the length of his new deal.

Such a move could free up at least $2 million from the team’s $109 million salary cap for 2007, putting the Steelers roughly $5 million under the cap heading into free agency.

The Steelers have just one starter – right tackle Max Starks – who is elligible to be a free agent when the signing period opens March 2. But the team can retain the rights to match any offers for Starks, a restricted free agent, by making him a qualifying offer by Thursday.

Smith’s signing also frees up some needed space for the Steelers to pay other roster bonuses due in March, including the $1 million bonuses that linebacker Joey Porter and guard Alan Faneca are scheduled to receive. Other players due roster bonuses include cornerback Ike Taylor, who will receive $300,000, and left tackle Marvel Smith and running back Willie Parker, both of whom are due $250,000.

Aaron Smith, who turns 31 April 9, was a fourth-round draft pick of the Steelers in 1999. He has played in 115 consecutive games and had 61 tackles and 4.5 sacks in 2006.

Widely regarded as one of the best 3-4 defensive ends in the NFL, Smith was a Pro Bowl pick in 2004 when he led the Steelers with eight sacks. Smith’s 34 career sacks currently rank 11th on the Steelers’ all-time list.

This was a move towards securing Smith but also a move to help out with the salary cap! Once again Steeler management very proactive in the business sense to strengthen up our team! Why do we worry? We have one of the BEST front offices in football! Sometimes we may not like the business side of the decisions that must be made, but we all have to admit those decisions almost always work out for the best!

:towelwave: :steelersrocksign: :towelwave:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2007, 10:46 PM
We are the masters of the salary cap ! We may not usually have alot of wiggle room each offseason but we sure as hell use every last penny we can to get the guys we want. Im glad we have the FO that we do to make this thing work.

Props again to Aaron from coming back with us and sticking around, and the Steelers for having the foresight to resign him and get us more cap relief in 2007 ! :cope:

BlackGold4vr
02-27-2007, 11:16 PM
If we don't see something in the next 2 days for Porter, that would be a bad sign for Porter fans! I want Joey Porter on that field for us next year! I believe with some upgrades in our defense (Spencer or Okoye) that it could rejuvenate Joey's career just like Hali Ngata did for Ray Lewis's career! Porter can still play and he is the leader of our defense! I don't see anyone else with the game or the mouth to step in there and take that role. Troy is too quiet! Casey doesn't play with as much emotion! Porter is good for 4 more years. By the time the next contract is over Spencer or Okoye might just be ready to take the leadership torch from him. Please resign Joey Porter! :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2007, 11:22 PM
If we don't see something in the next 2 days for Porter, that would be a bad sign for Porter fans! I want Joey Porter on that field for us next year! I believe with some upgrades in our defense (Spencer or Okoye) that it could rejuvenate Joey's career just like Hali Ngata did for Ray Lewis's career! Porter can still play and he is the leader of our defense! I don't see anyone else with the game or the mouth to step in there and take that role. Troy is too quiet! Casey doesn't play with as much emotion! Porter is good for 4 more years. By the time the next contract is over Spencer or Okoye might just be ready to take the leadership torch from him. Please resign Joey Porter! :bigthumb:

:plus1: Couldn't agree more ! The dude is our emotion, the guy that fires up the defense and feeds off the crowd. He's the heart and soul of our defense and when he's not on the field we don't play with the same intensity, I think we all saw that last year when he was out for a few games with that hamstring injury.

Comon Joey, we need ya man !

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2007, 07:12 AM
Here's the post gazette's article..

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07059/765522-66.stm

TampaSteelGirl
02-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Very pleased!!!!!!! :tt02:

K Train
02-28-2007, 11:55 AM
lol okoye isnt taking the torch from anyone, we dont really "need" him and we arent gonna get him period.....he will be gone by 15