PDA

View Full Version : cedric benson

Steelx
08-22-2006, 04:39 PM
(KFFL) Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears RB Cedric Benson was scolded by head coach Lovie Smith for leaving the sideline Friday, Aug. 18, during a preseason game against San Diego and skipping the mandatory postgame meeting. Teammates didn't approve of Benson's early exit and brought it to the attention of the Sun-Times, which confirmed through a team source that Smith disciplined the second-year running back. ''I didn't get fined,'' Benson said after practice at Halas Hall, where he participated in individual drills and non-contact 7-on-7. Benson said he did not leave the stadium but watched the game from the office of equipment manager Tony Medlin, but team rules required Benson to be on the sideline during the game. Two teammates confirmed Benson left the sideline during the first quarter and wasn't at the postgame meeting. During training camp, Benson said he believed some teammates and coaches did not like him, but if that was the cas! e, he did not care.

MY VIEW
I read this snip it on another site and it created a great debate between users. What is your thoughts on this matter?

SteelCityMan786
08-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Benson doesn't need to be Randy Moss. We've already had enough of it in this league. If you don't want to be a part of a team THEN WHY WOULD YOU SIGN?

Steelx
08-22-2006, 04:48 PM
My opinion:

1. Cedric Benson is and will be a great back in this league wether it be with the Bears or with another NFL franchise. He has all the tools to make it in the NFL.

2. The injury that he had this preseason was one of the strangest things I have ever seen. The tackle should have never happened and it was almost like the CB/S (can not reacll which one) purposely did it.

3. This is the Chicago Bears right? which in my eyes is one of the greatest teams in football history. Why would these fools act like this.

4. There is no "I" in team nor there is no rat in team, for that matter from dictionary.com:

Team-A group organized to work together, To harness or join together so as to form a team,
Rat-A despicable person, especially one who betrays or informs upon associates.

5. I dont care wether you like or hate one of your TEAM MATES you never rat them out ever. To me this is a complete utter slap in the face of the entire Chicago Bears franchise.

6. Benson was not find for this was he? Nah didnt think so him leaving the field and missing the meeting after the game must not have been a big deal to Lovie was it?

7. Benson is not in the right either for leaving the field or being a headcase either. He is no saint in this at all.

In short to me this is a slap to the franchise and the team, and Benson all around this is bad for the Bears.

AZ_Steeler
08-22-2006, 04:55 PM
A lot of these new comers to the league need to be used to set examples! This reminds me of Randy Moss (I think) that left the field early at the end of a game a couple years back. These "potential" super stars and some super stars think they are better than the rest of the team and seem to forget there is no "I' in team. He should be fined by the coaches but there also needs to be some communication between the player and coaches. Here is how I see this relationship, it's almost like a marriage. Some of these players need reassurance from their staff and need to hear "Hey, we love you man!"

Bottom line is Benson has a chance to take over the #1 spot because of Jone's injury, he should be doing everything possible for his coaches and teammates to like him. I don't think there is a day of my life that I don't show up at work thinking nobody likes me and that I'm going to be released, of course this is a thought deep down in the back of my head. Is it going to happen today, no, but its something that is always in the back of mind because nothing is for sure. He needs to bury that thought and stop thinking everyone is out to oppress him.

Koopa
08-22-2006, 08:48 PM
smh, benson was badass here in texas, somethings wrong with the dude. ricky williams part 2 i guess. since he got drafted he seems like he doesn't even like football anymore. he was a work horse and never hurt in college and now he's a damn china doll. he'll be in the league a few more years and then go out like a little bitch. and this is coming from one of his biggest supporters when he was with ut

Hawk Believer
08-22-2006, 09:04 PM
I think there is some truth to a slippery slope argument in this case. If you start tolerating one players behavior like that, even if its seemingly innoccuous, its can begin to lead to worse things and bad morale on the team. I bet all the trouble the Vikings had last year started a ways back with little stuff like this being allowed.

I do think its a little wierd that a player would go to a coach before dealing directly with the offending player, if thats what happened. But maybe this isn't the first time he's slacked off and some veterans warned him they would turn him in if he didn't shape up.

I can't imagine Cowher tolerating this kinda stuff.

Steelersfan
08-23-2006, 12:34 AM
I just can't imagine why players these days don't want to be around to cheer the team on when they aren't playing. Selfish I guess.

Benson broke two team rules and should be punished within whatever guidelines they have setup.

Blitzburgh55
08-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Benson on my Fantasy team so he better do good

AZ_Steeler
08-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Benson on my Fantasy team so he better do good

I'd hurry and offer him up for a trade before his stock really falls ;)