PDA

View Full Version : Rams Fearsome Foursome-Lamar Lundy dead.

Ambridge
02-27-2007, 08:08 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/26/sports/football/26lundy.html?ref=sports
Published: February 26, 2007
Lamar Lundy, a longtime defensive end for the Los Angeles Rams who in the 1960s was part of the Fearsome Foursome, one of the National Football League’s most renowned defensive lines, died Saturday in Richmond, Ind. He was 71.

Lundy’s death was announced by the Community Family Funeral Home of Richmond. He had been in poor health for many years.

A football and basketball star at Purdue, Lundy was 6 feet 7 inches and 250 pounds. He became an imposing presence at right end on the Fearsome Foursome, with Roosevelt Grier at right tackle and the Hall of Famers Deacon Jones at left end and Merlin Olsen at left tackle.

Although the Rams had only one winning season from 1963 to 1966, when the Fearsome Foursome played as a unit, the linemen gained acclaim for stopping running backs and harassing quarterbacks.

Lundy joined the Rams in 1957 and played mostly at tight end in his first few seasons. He was named to the Pro Bowl in 1959, switched to defensive end full time in the early 1960s and remained with the Rams through the 1969 season.

“He used those long, long arms to keep the offensive linemen away from him,” Olsen told The Los Angeles Times. “He was an extremely effective pass rusher.”

I believe the Fearsome Foursome was one of the first named defensive line units to get a specific title..........along with the Purple People Eaters of Minnesota.........Doomsday in Dallas and the most famous unit of all the
SteelCurtain of our beloved Steelers.

Rest in Peace Lamar Lundy you have a place in NFL history and lore.

House of Steel
02-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Rest In Peace, Lamar Lundy. That was one heck of a unit in Rams History. Whistles. Merlin Olsen was something else. He went on to acting. I actually liked his character on Little House on the Prarie with Michael Landon.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Wow this just ruined my day. I'm big into NFL history and I know what a great Dline the Fearsome Foursome was. The 2nd best Dline in the history of Pro Football. The Steel Curtain is 1st of course.

If you havn't read HEADSLAP-The Life and Times of Deacon Jones then read it. Its a great book and it has some great stories about that great Rams Dline that consisted of Lamar Lundy, Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen and Rosey Grier.

RIP in Lamar Lundy

DIESELMAN
02-27-2007, 05:07 PM
He played back when football was played for the thrill of the hits and the love of the game. Prayers to his family, 'RIP' Mr. Lundy.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
The fearsome foursome was second to none ! RIP to legend.

BlitzburghNation
02-27-2007, 08:28 PM
He played back when football was played for the thrill of the hits and the love of the game. Prayers to his family, 'RIP' Mr. Lundy.

Well said Deez :clap: My condolences to Mr. lundy's family,,,,