PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Ken Whisenhut / The Steelers' offensive coordinator...

AZ_Steeler
08-22-2006, 02:58 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06234/715293-66.stm

Q: Do you permit quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to audible to another play at the line of scrimmage?

Whisenhunt: In certain situations, yes. In certain ones, no. In certain ones we try to take care of that so we don't put too much on him. That will expand as he becomes more comfortable with the offense and that's what's occurring. That's what we've seen in the coaching sessions and that's what we've seen here in training camp.

Not a bad write up, it actaully answered a lot of my questions like "Why did you call that play?" and "Watch, I bet they are going to give an inside hand off to Haynes?". The play calling in Pittsburgh became really awesome right around the playoffs, especially against Indy!

I would like to see the Steelers get a little more creative, not with the trick plays, but in calling their plays in general. The inside hand off on third and 5 has become so predictable I'm surprised the Steelers opponents haven't caught on yet. I guess it's been working and that's why I have my job and they have theirs :D

It will be nice though once Ben is given more flexibility in audibling at the line, I just don't want to see him become a Peyton Manning!

Aunkster
08-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Great article

Steelersfan
08-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Very nice article. A lot of good info there.

PITT23
08-23-2006, 01:01 AM
That was a great article to read and interesting to know some of that stuff.