PDA

View Full Version : If we have a second 3rd round pick: Offense or Defense?

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2007, 02:04 PM
We don't know yet what supplemental picks we will get. If we get another day 1 pick, should it be on the offensive side of the ball or defensive? Lets say we have already picked the following players:

1. Anthony Spencer/DE-OLB
2. Justin Blalock/OL
3. Michael Bush/RB
3a. ?

I like another wide out here! Steve Smith from USC could be a nice fit. The scouting report on him is pretty good. He played in Jarrett's shadow but this kid had some HUGE games. Ran a 4.37 40 in the combine. If Bruce Arians is serious about playing some more spread offenses we will need more depth at WR! Opinions? :scratch:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-25-2007, 02:30 PM
We don't know yet what supplemental picks we will get. If we get another day 1 pick, should it be on the offensive side of the ball or defensive? Lets say we have already picked the following players:

2. Justin Blalock/OL
3. Michael Bush/RB
3a. ?

I like another wide out here! Steve Smith from USC could be a nice fit. The scouting report on him is pretty good. He played in Jarrett's shadow but this kid had some HUGE games. Ran a 4.37 40 in the combine. If Bruce Arians is serious about playing some more spread offenses we will need more depth at WR! Opinions? :scratch:

Smith is a good player. Wouldn't mind that if the Steelers get an extra 3rd round pick. I wouldn't mind taking a look at Steve Breaston also. His return skills would make Breaston an interesting pick. Just case if Reid is hurt again.

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2007, 03:17 PM
With all the talk of Colclough being expendable another option at CB might be a good pick here. I would look for a guy wth boatloads of speed here. Size is overated here! Asante Samuel who I consider a premier cover corner is only 5'10 185lbs. I would like to see us grab another CB in this draft. Not someone who is going to be projected as a starter but someone with raw skills who we could bring along and could play some nickel and dime packages!

:beer3:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-25-2007, 03:19 PM
You can never have enough corners and with Colclough basically showing nothing since he has been in the NFL. I think a corner should be drafted sometime in this draft.

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2007, 03:24 PM
What are corners if they are not wideouts with bad hands? :lol: Lots of smaller speedy wideouts who could be converted to corner and also be special teamers! :bigthumb: Coaches like to say, some things can't be coached "SPEED" being one of them!

:beer1:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2007, 03:26 PM
We need to grab 1 WR in this draft at some point, and as long as we address our needs at OL, LB, and RB, then I'm all for using late day 1 pick on a WR.

As far as DB goes:

Troy, Ike, Bryant, Tryone, Ryan, Deshea, Anthony are all going to be the main guys getting playing time in various packages, so a CB coming in that we could use a project might not be a bad idea, but most of those guys I listed are young and will be around for awhile so unless an injury happens we won't need to rush him into playing.

DIESELMAN
02-25-2007, 10:10 PM

2. Justin Blalock/OL
3. Michael Bush/RB
3a. ?

Steve Smith is a scrappy, gutsy WR. He catches everything thrown his way including the ones he has to fight for. I seen him run a 4.35-40 on his 2nd attempt. I'm still waiting on the WR shuttle results, that counts alot as far as stop and go's and changing routes.

DIESELMAN
02-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Also as far as a possible 3a pick, thats going to be tough, depending on who we get and believe me if we get those 3 you listed I'll be tickled. I say go for a WR or CB. Like you mentioned in another thread if we get Spencer he'll make our secondary better with his pass rushing skills. Thats the thing that screwed our secondary last season, No Pass Rush. So in that case lets pick up a WR. I like Bowe (6'3"-4.46-40), Rice (6'4"-4.41-40) and Meachem (6'3"-4.42-40)

K Train
02-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Bowe, Rice and Meachem are all possible 1st rounder...rice has slipped a bit but still. Meachem and Bowe are animals, theyare gone in the 1st, Smith is good and was completely over shadowed at southern cal, gonzalas is also a solid 3rd round WR who was shadowed completely by Ginn. I think Spencer is our first rounder, and i still want a RB with our second, Bush being my first pick the a toss up between leonard and hunt who have both impressed me a ton

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2007, 11:01 PM
I think Spencer is our first rounder, and i still want a RB with our second, Bush being my first pick the a toss up between leonard and hunt who have both impressed me a ton

If we went RB in the 2nd round there would still be lots of great ones left! If they have their eye on a O-lineman that they think will still be there in the 3rd that could be the way to go! A WR with a 3a pick would be sweet but lots of the ones you mentioned will already be gone. :yesnod: I still like Smith from USC. Good speed and a clutch pass receiver. Scouts say he has a knack of making huge catches in traffic.......I like that attribute! Picking a RB in the 2nd would bring Hunt back in play! He could very well be there at the 47th spot. Last year Marcus McNeil was picked in the 3rd round! He ended up in the Pro-bowl! :danceshout:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2007, 11:07 PM
I wish this draft was deeper with offensive lineman, that would make things alittle easier to deal with but there's a significant drop off after the likes of Joe Thomas and Levi Brown are gone. Aaron Sears and Ben Grubbs from what Ive seen will be gone late first or early second.

There are several good OL to be had in the second round so if we do get Spencer in the first it would behoove us to take a lineman in the 2nd IMO.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-25-2007, 11:11 PM
I wish this draft was deeper with offensive lineman, that would make things alittle easier to deal with but there's a significant drop off after the likes of Joe Thomas and Levi Brown are gone. Aaron Sears and Ben Grubbs from what Ive seen will be gone late first or early second.

There are several good OL to be had in the second round so if we do get Spencer in the first it would behoove us to take a lineman in the 2nd IMO.

This is what I hope happens to the Steelers Oline.

Max Starks is resigned and shows this year that he is a really good RT. Then Colon wins the RG spot. Then Marvin Philip beats out Okobi/Simmons at center and shows he can play in the NFL. We all know Smith and Faneca will start on the left side. If all of this happens then the Steelers won't need no Oline help.

I know thats asking alot.:bluelol:

DIESELMAN
02-26-2007, 12:35 AM

Max Starks is resigned and shows this year that he is a really good RT. Then Colon wins the RG spot. Then Marvin Philip beats out Okobi/Simmons at center and shows he can play in the NFL. We all know Smith and Faneca will start on the left side. If all of this happens then the Steelers won't need no Oline help.

If Starks knees hold up also, hes had knee injuries the past 2 seasons. He needs to use his size to HIS advantage, damn if he could just figure that out, what is he 6'7-8" 330-340? C'mon Max!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
02-26-2007, 12:37 AM
If Starks knees hold up also, hes had knee injuries the past 2 seasons. He needs to use his size to HIS advantage, damn if he could just figure that out, what is he 6'7-8" 330-340? C'mon Max!!!

I know man Max just fustrates me so much. He has that size and he should dominate. What sucks is he seems like such a good guy and I hate being hard on the guy. I hope he can turn it around.

BlitzburghNation
02-26-2007, 12:43 AM
:iagree: For his size he should be dominate !

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2007, 12:46 AM

Here's my version.

Smith and Faneca - no brainer here, they start.

Simmons wins the Center battle - he's got a mean streak on the field and he may just be be more suited for Center than we think.

Kemoeatu wins the RG job - This guy is one mean dude on the field, definitely brings a toughness and tenacity on the field.

Colon & Starks battle it out and may be the best man win. The one that doesnt' is a prime backup and our depth issues are alot less evident now.

Either way I just want to see our current guys step and seize the opportunity they've been given now. :bigthumb:

BlitzburghNation
02-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Good possibilty TG,,,,,,,, I kinda believe Chukki will be our center and Colon will beat out starks !

DIESELMAN
02-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Here's my version.

Simmons wins the Center battle - he's got a mean streak on the field and he may just be be more suited for Center than we think.

Kemoeatu wins the RG job - This guy is one mean dude on the field, definitely brings a toughness and tenacity on the field.

Colon & Starks battle it out and may be the best man win. The one that doesnt' is a prime backup and our depth issues are alot less evident now.

I can see that playing out unless Phillips or Okobi do something dramatic at C in training camp. Colon winning the RT spot would maybe give Starks something to think about.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Here's my version.

Either way I just want to see our current guys step and seize the opportunity they've been given now. :bigthumb:

The thing is Top before Philip went on his morman mission he was regarded a very good center. So I hope he can regain his form. Plus I read the Steelers coaches like Philip alot. What I mean he is athletic enough to pull and other things the Steelers like in their centers.

I wouldn't mind Simmons winning the centers spot. I think thats the best move for him really. I want Starks to turn it around and then have Colon at RG. But if Kemoeatu wins the RG spot then thats alright to.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Philip, Okobi, and Simmons could make for one helluva battle at Center that should benefit us greatly with all 3 of those guys fighting for the spot. The competition should be fierce and unlike much of what we've seen over the last 15 years of watching our guys in camp.

If he regains his form and wins that job, then more power to him and we'll have decent depth behind him should something happen too. I wonder which would be more adept at Center between Philip and Simmons ? Simmons just doesn't seem to do well at guard, but at Center he'll be pulling just as much if not more in running situations so we'll have to see how it goes.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Philip, Okobi, and Simmons could make for one helluva battle at Center that should benefit us greatly with all 3 of those guys fighting for the spot. The competition should be fierce and unlike much of what we've seen over the last 15 years of watching our guys in camp.

If he regains his form and wins that job, then more power to him and we'll have decent depth behind him should something happen too. I wonder which would be more adept at Center between Philip and Simmons ? Simmons just doesn't seem to do well at guard, but at Center he'll be pulling just as much if not more in running situations so we'll have to see how it goes.

Yea its going to be interesting thats for sure Top. This is going to be the most interesting Steelers camp/pre-season in along long time thats for sure bro.

K Train
02-26-2007, 04:11 PM
what makes it even more interesting is there is like 5 guys who i would say have there positions absolutly locked up, everyone else has a new coach to impress and jobs to fight for which should make sure we get the best possible player at each position