PDA

View Full Version : McGahee is available

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-25-2007, 12:31 AM
INDIANAPOLIS -- The Buffalo Bills are using part of their time here at the NFL scouting combine this weekend to apprise teams that starting tailback Willis McGahee is available via trade, and it appears they have attracted the interest of at least one potential suitor.

Willis McGahee
Running Back
Buffalo Bills

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD
259 990 6 18 156 0

Jerry Reese, the first-year general manager of the New York Giants, acknowledged Saturday morning that his team has some interest in McGahee, a four-year veteran who has twice posted 1,000-yard seasons.

"There is some talk about Willis out there," Reese said. "We'll investigate Willis. We'll investigate everybody out there with trade talks. We'll leave no stones unturned."

The Giants are seeking to bolster a tailback depth chart thinned by the retirement of star Tiki Barber, and where two-year veteran Brandon Jacobs is now the nominal starter. The Giants feel Jacobs has a strong upside, but Barber's former backup has logged just 134 carries in two seasons.

Jacobs carried 96 times for 423 yards in 2006, but he posted double-digit rushing attempts in only three games and will have to demonstrate in camp that he is able to assume the workhorse load that Barber once shouldered. The ideal situation, Reese allowed, would be for Jacobs to win the starting job and for the team to have a complementary back, maybe a veteran, on hand as well.

"We're looking for Brandon to probably carry the ball 20 times and for another running back [to carry] 15 times," Reese said. "[Jacobs] will carry the maximum amount of the load for us, I'm assuming, if everything goes like we expect it to."

In truth, though, McGahee is a more accomplished back than Jacobs, and he certainly would compete hard for the No. 1 job if the Giants acquired him. It is not believed that there have been any substantive trade discussions yet between the Giants and the Bills. But officials from other teams confirmed that the Bills are actively pursuing trade partners for McGahee, the team's first-round choice in the 2003 draft.

Buffalo officials seem to have soured on McGahee, who has not asked to be traded, but who is entering the final year of his contract in 2007. McGahee could depart as a free agent after the 2007 season and the Bills, wary of the possibility he could exit with them getting nothing in return, have taken a active stance in trying to find him a new home.

It is not known if any other teams have indicated an interest in McGahee. The former University of Miami standout has appeared in 46 games, including 40 starts, and carried 868 times for 3,365 yards and 24 touchdowns.

McGahee, 25, missed his entire rookie campaign as he recovered from the catastrophic knee injury that ended his college career, then rushed for over 1,000 yards each in 2004 and 2005, before running for 990 yards last season.

In an unrelated move, the Giants reached agreement with two-year veteran linebacker Chase Blackburn on a four-year, $3.5 million contract. Blackburn is expected to vie for a starting job in the Giants' revamped linebacker corps in 2007.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2007, 12:39 AM
Oh I don't know I think I'd pass on him. He's made a great comeback since blowing out his knee, and he's shown flashes of brilliance but Im not sure I'd want him as the main backup to Willie, just yet.

Steelx
02-25-2007, 12:43 AM
willie is going to be good on the right team. I would love to have him starting for the Steelers

House of Steel
02-25-2007, 01:09 AM
We be better off drafting a RB and grooming him to be the potential back up for Willie. I think they are going to re-sign Dookie to fill that role this season. I know a lot of you don't like the idea, but it is only short term for the time being.

Koopa
02-25-2007, 01:13 AM
if willis came here, he'd be the starter the dude is that good, it's just the bills suck *** and he can never do anything lol

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-25-2007, 03:23 AM
If the steelers were interested. Go for it and make a phone call.

TEEMONT
02-25-2007, 03:36 AM
if willis came here, he'd be the starter the dude is that good, it's just the bills suck *** and he can never do anything lol

No way would he start. He is the typical overated Miami running back. If him and Willie went into camp as 1 and 2....Willie would still come out on top. McGahee = overated.

He isn't bad, but he isn't the superstar that people made him out to be in college.....and remember, Willie did make the pro-bowl this year. It wasn't a fluke.

Captcoolhand
02-25-2007, 11:02 AM
What picks would have to be given up for him:dunno:

Steelx
02-25-2007, 11:13 AM
if willis came here, he'd be the starter the dude is that good, it's just the bills suck *** and he can never do anything lolI agree 100%

No way would he start. He is the typical overated Miami running back. If him and Willie went into camp as 1 and 2....Willie would still come out on top. McGahee = overated.

He isn't bad, but he isn't the superstar that people made him out to be in college.....and remember, Willie did make the pro-bowl this year. It wasn't a fluke.Man you got to pick a fight with him now on everything

Frank Gore = Not overrated
Edge James = Not overrated

I mean those are the quick ones Miami has produced great RB's and do not pull the ARI card on james. Barry Sanders in his prime couldnt run for that team

What picks would have to be given up for him:dunno:Not sure but to me it seems like the Bills probably would go on the cheaper side.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-25-2007, 11:28 AM
I think Willis McGahee is very good RB but I'm happy with Willie Parker. Man, Parker did have a 16 total TD's last year and 1,494 yards rushing.

About McGahee what ever team that does get him will be getting a very good RB. The Bills poor Oline and spotty passing the last few year really didn't help McGahee out and thats why his numbers suffered.

The Steelers should just look to draft a RB to spell Willie Parker. Now if Parker wasn't with the Steelers. I would say trade for McGahee in a heart beat.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2007, 01:00 PM

He isn't bad, but he isn't the superstar that people made him out to be in college.....and remember, Willie did make the pro-bowl this year. It wasn't a fluke.

There's no way McGahee would would really come here because he wants to start ,and Willie has earned the right to be the starter. Nothing is guaranteed but the stats that Fast Willie has put up over the last 2 years is nothing short of amazing, especially considering how much our OL and entire team sucked *** last year.

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2007, 01:18 PM
There's no way McGahee would would really come here because he wants to start ,and Willie has earned the right to be the starter. Nothing is guaranteed but the stats that Fast Willie has put up over the last 2 years is nothing short of amazing, especially considering how much our OL and entire team sucked *** last year.

:iagree:

Whoever we draft is going to be the #2 guy! Willie has earned the Elite status that he has. I envision Willie getting the ball 20-25 times a game and whoever the #2 is to get it 15-20 times. :yesnod:

:beer3:

TEEMONT
02-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Man you got to pick a fight with him now on everything

Frank Gore = Not overrated

I mean those are the quick ones Miami has produced great RB's and do not pull the ARI card on james. Barry Sanders in his prime couldnt run for that team

Who's picking a fight? Don't instigate when there is really nothing going on, I am disagreeing.

Miami RB's are always overated coming into the league, they have badass lines they run behind in college, so when they get here they are USUALLY avg at best.

Gore is the only one who is doing anything at the pro level. Edge had one of the most bad-*** lines when he wass at Indy, he went to a mediocre team and became a mediocre RB, that = overated in my book. Barry Sanders line in Detroit was probably just as bad, but no one will ever be on his level, with the exception of MAYBE Walter Payton, anyways I am off-subject.

McGahee, who claims to be the best RB in the NFL:scratch: can't hold a candle to Willie, one of th emost humble guys in the NFL.

McGahee Career stats: (and you can't use his line as an excuse)

Yards YPC TD's 20+
3,365 3.9 24 18

That is pretty much 3 full years of work as compared to Willie's two full years as a starter:

Yards YPC TD's 20+
2,882 4.6 17 22

2 "full" years as a starter, with the Bus taking away a lot of TD's and quite a few carries in 05.

Willie is much better than Willis.......all i have to say is, "whatchoo talking about..........WILLIS?"

Blitzburgh55
02-25-2007, 02:15 PM

James is so overated you saw what he idid this year

Ambridge
02-26-2007, 09:43 AM
No way on McGahee!!
The guy doesn't like to share carries and he's pissed and moaned in Buffalo when he doesn't think he's getting the ball enough.

Besides the Steelers don't need two speed backs on the team. It would be nice to see a stronger/bigger back brought in for short yardage and a change of pace but who knows now with Tomlin in town.