PDA

View Full Version : Ask the Whiz........

BlackGold4vr
02-24-2007, 10:21 PM
ASK THE WHIS

It’s still the question everyone wants Ken Whisenhunt to answer: Was the accident solely responsible for Ben Roethlisberger’s poor season?

“When we started the season, even in training camp, it didn’t seem like it would have an effect,” Whisenhunt said. “But at the end and when you look at it again, I am convinced it did. Not because of his health, he is a tough kid and he did a good job coming back and being prepared. But from the standpoint of being in the pocket and facing the rush, certainly there was some trauma with him that maybe we all underestimated and I think it took him longer to get over that than we all thought. Because of the way we interacted with him in training camp, on the practice field, we had the tendency to think he was fine and ready to go. Early in the season, you could tell he wasn’t as comfortable as he was in the past, and I am convinced that was the result of things that happened in the off-season.”

From the combine! I am looking for Ben to come back strong this year with a renewed attitude to prove last year was an aberation! Exciting times! :cabbagepatch:

House of Steel
02-25-2007, 12:44 AM
I smell several more Super Bowl Championships coming our way. We will be the KING OF THE NFL :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2007, 12:52 AM
As long as he keeps himself healthy this offseason we have every reason to believe he'll be back and better than ever !

Iron City South
02-25-2007, 09:25 AM
The article in today's PPG quoting Whiz is more of an inditement of how careless and disinterested Cowher was in Ben's health than anything else. I'm sure both Ben and Whiz told Cowher on more than one occassion that "Ben isn't right" ....

Cowher could have cared less and chose to start him anyhow ....

Captcoolhand
02-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Well:scratch: this is just something that we all as fans knew all year:yesnod: i'm just glad that Ben started to come together again the second half of the season:bigthumb:

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2007, 10:11 AM
After the abysmal season we had, the complete disinterest Cowher had in our team disgusted me! His lack of interest in his final season should be the crowning jewel in his resume for his next job! Good riddance! His next challenge will be can he speak for more than 5 minutes without using those expletives that he was so famous for spraying people with? Was there a coach out there with a fouler mouth than Cowher? I truly believe that after Tomlin has been here a few years and shown Pittsburgh that you can win and coach with class (like Tony Dungy) the only question will be how did Cowher last as long as he did? :cursin: :nono:

Iron City South
02-25-2007, 10:59 AM
The take-away in all this is:

We all hope Ben can bounce back, but it needs to be an active and fluid process both physically and emotionally. There are no gauarantees. I think the change of scenery (i.e. new players, coaches) will actually do a lot for BR in clearing the slate a bit for him mentally and reproving himself. Perhaps even with a little chip on his shoulder.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-25-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm not to worried about Ben bouncing back from a phyiscal stand point. I think he will be fine. But Ben mentally I would be more worried. Hopefully he regains his confidence in the pocket. It would help also if the offensive line doesn't allow so much pressure on Ben as well.

It didn't help matters when Ben was trying to get his confidence back that the Oline let him get sacked over 45 times this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Here's the link to the whole story..

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07056/764910-66.stm

floodcitygirl
02-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Well:scratch: this is just something that we all as fans knew all year:yesnod: i'm just glad that Ben started to come together again the second half of the season:bigthumb: I totally agree. :yesnod:

PsychoWard
02-25-2007, 12:44 PM
i think the off season is exactly what ben needed so he can prepare both phsically and mentaly for this yeah he will be 100% better this year!

TampaSteelGirl
02-25-2007, 01:08 PM
I knew that was his problem all along! You don't go from being a SuperBowl champion QB to someone who can't even see which guys to throw at! He probably had double vision most of the season. Brain injury of his kind does not heal in a couple months. He'll be back to normal this year! :tt02:

AZ_Steeler
02-27-2007, 12:12 PM
I think if we all came face to face with a windshield at 30+ MPH that we would be a little timid standing in the pocket with huge 300 pound linemen coming at us wanting to take our head off! It's not the fear of being tackled... it's more the fear of can my head take this pounding that I might get from these guys???

Ben will have us forgetting about last season in no time... especially if he stays off his bike this spring :D

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-27-2007, 05:41 PM
I think if we all came face to face with a windshield at 30+ MPH that we would be a little timid standing in the pocket with huge 300 pound linemen coming at us wanting to take our head off! It's not the fear of being tackled... it's more the fear of can my head take this pounding that I might get from these guys???

Ben will have us forgetting about last season in no time... especially if he stays off his bike this spring :D

Only way Ben is going to make anyone forget last season. Is if he commits himself to getting better.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2007, 06:08 PM
i think the off season is exactly what ben needed so he can prepare both phsically and mentaly for this yeah he will be 100% better this year!

That's what we're all counting on..Ben taking this offseason to get refreshed and rededicate himself to his craft and help us get back to where we need to be.

BlitzburghNation
02-27-2007, 07:49 PM
I smell several more Super Bowl Championships coming our way. We will be the KING OF THE NFL :tt02:

I SECOND THAT :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: