PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Spencer a good fit?

BlackGold4vr
02-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Veteran scout IDs perfect fit for Steelers

Anthony Spencer By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Feb 24, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS – The best offensive tackles in the country became repetitive when the question of pass-rushers was put before them.

“Guys like Anthony Spencer,” said big Joe Thomas.
“Mathias Kiwanuka was pretty good last year,” said Ryan Harris. “Anthony Spencer was pretty good this year.”

“Anthony Spencer from PURDUE,” Levi Brown said, finishing with a crescendo.

Brown went on, moving his mouth closer to the microphone to make sure he was heard clearly.

“Without question he has a lot of speed and power,” Brown said. “He’s the best defensive end in this draft. You all should draft him.”

All of those elite left tackles believe that to be true. Spencer gave Thomas his first, and perhaps only, good battle of the season. Against Harris and Notre Dame, Spencer made a career-high 15 tackles, including 4.5 for loss and 1.5 sacks. Against Brown, the Penn State left tackle, Spencer provided the scouts with a tremendous back-and-forth showcase all through Senior Bowl week.

Brown is adamant that Spencer, the 6-foot-2, 262-pound defensive end, can pressure NFL quarterbacks. So is 35-year veteran scout Tom Marino, who watched Spencer closely this season. Marino, of Scout.com, believes Spencer falls right in line as a 3-4 outside linebacker, a position at which the Steelers have a need.

“I think Anthony Spencer is a perfect fit for the Steelers,” said Marino. “He can run, and he really surprised me by how explosive he is. He’s got a chance to be a real pass-rusher.”
But at pick 15? Even Marino, in his pre-combine rankings, has Spencer rated as the No. 32 athlete in this draft.

“Yeah, I think it’s a little high for him,” Marino said. “He may not be there for their second pick, though. That’s the thing about it. You want to see maybe if you can trade down. Trade down to 23, 24 and pick up a third or a fourth or something like that and get the guy you want.”

Marino suspects the Steelers will stick with their 3-4 scheme and continue to search for the athletes that have made Dick LeBeau’s defense so strong over the years.

“I think you modify some things,” Marino said. “But Dick LeBeau is a great coach. I don’t think you retain him if you’re going to run something totally different than he’s accustomed to running.”

The only other “tweener” type Marino ranks in his first round is Florida junior Jarvis Moss (estimated 6-5, 255), who had 7.5 sacks and 11 tackles for loss last season. Spencer had 10.5 sacks and 26.5 tackles for loss. The latter statistic led the nation.

“Moss can run,” said Marino. “But to be real honest with you I did not study him, but I did see him and I know one thing he can do is he can run. I couldn’t tell you as much about him as I could Spencer. Right now I feel comfortable talking about Spencer. He has the ability to do all those things. I don’t know if Spencer’s hips are tight, whether he can do all those drops and stuff that a linebacker has to do, but he’s really just maturing into his body right now. He’s a power guy, a powerful, explosive guy. All I can tell you about Moss is he’s bigger, taller, a lean-looking guy, and he looks very, very linear to me on tape, but he can run. He can run.”

Moss sits 26th on Marino’s board, but even though he has Spencer rated lower, the more he watches him on tape the more he likes him.

“The guy’s got a chance to be a real big-time pass-rusher. He’s got a real chance of being special,” Marino said. “Prior to this year they say he was not a full-time guy. He wouldn’t chase backside. But this year, somebody got to him and told him he’s got to be a football player, that you have to do this thing here year-around and you have to be something special. And I think he showed some real stuff to me. He’s a perfect fit for them. He’s their kind of guy. He’s got their kind of mentality and he’s a Dick LeBeau type of guy. He’s a perfect fit in their system.”

Marino doesn’t have to sell him to the Steelers, an organization he respects.

“They’ll do all the work they have to do,” he said. “That’s a real good staff. I’ve been around those guys and know them. They have guys like Ronnie Hughes, who’s been doing that for a long time, and young Danny (Rooney, Jr.) and Mark Gorscak and guys like that. They have guys who do a good job. Another advantage they have is the GM. Kevin Colbert was a scout first. That’s a big plus. When you have guys coming from the other end, who were maybe numbers-crunchers and things like that, you may not have that, but Kevin understands it and I think that puts him ahead of the game.

“The Steelers won’t be thinking in terms of ‘Well, we took him earlier than we wanted to.’ If they feel the guy’s a fit for them, they’ll take him. They won’t worry about what other people think. They’ll worry about their football team. If most of the league rates Spencer 30th, and they think he can help them and upgrade them, they’ll take him. I feel strongly about that.”

K-train this article should make you very happy as it sounds like the Steelers are looking at AS. Led the nation in tackles for losses and I wouldn't consider Purdue the ideal place to do that from! AS has received praises from both Joe Thomas and Levi Brown - the 2 top tackles in this years draft! I gotta believe that the Steelers could trade down with one of those teams looking for a WR (this draft has got some good ones) to get some value with their pick. Spencer would be a good pick in the 20's but 15 is too high for him! Most boards are now rating AS around 30-32. I would be happy with AS as the Steelers #1 pick! :bigthumb:

:beer3:

BB2W
02-24-2007, 07:01 PM
It says a lot when the best lineman in the nation speak so highly of you. :redcool:

Koopa
02-24-2007, 07:19 PM
K-train this article should make you very happy as it sounds like the Steelers are looking at AS. Led the nation in tackles for losses and I wouldn't consider Purdue the ideal place to do that from! AS has received praises from both Joe Thomas and Levi Brown - the 2 top tackles in this years draft! I gotta believe that the Steelers could trade down with one of those teams looking for a WR (this draft has got some good ones) to get some value with their pick. Spencer would be a good pick in the 20's but 15 is too high for him! Most boards are now rating AS around 30-32. I would be happy with AS as the Steelers #1 pick! :bigthumb:

:beer3:

his stock might rise enough to where it's no longer a reach at 15, kinda like dware, he came out of nowhere it seems and was picked pretty damn high......the same could happen for spencer

House of Steel
02-24-2007, 07:24 PM
The more I read about this guy, the more I am itching for Anthony Spencer to join the Black N Gold. This guy can flat out play. Does anyone have a media video on this kid playing?

BB2W
02-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Spencer is sporting a mowhawk at the Combine. Jamie Dukes on the NFL Network just said he will be the steal of the draft.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Trading down is so risky though, because you never know who's going to be trying to jump ahead of you to get the guy you want. If you trade down too far, somebody else could make a deal with the team you just dealt with to move down so it's risky. If it pays off then you look like a master, if it flops then you everybody second guesses why you didnt just take him higher. Like Koopa mentioned his stock may rise so he's not such a reach at 15.

House of Steel
02-24-2007, 07:43 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UgmdRPLM4ns

This is the only video I could find on Youtube for Anthony Spencer, but damn he is fast. :tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-24-2007, 07:52 PM
his stock might rise enough to where it's no longer a reach at 15, kinda like dware, he came out of nowhere it seems and was picked pretty damn high......the same could happen for spencer

Hey I'm not shocked by this since I was the one that has been Pimp'In Spencer on this site for some time now.:bluelol:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-24-2007, 08:04 PM
I watched Anthony Spencer many times this past year and everytime I watched he always made a play at least thats what it seemed. I started the talk of the Steelers drafting Spencer so I'm all for it.

I still would take Okoye if there at 15 but I doubt that. If Spencer proves at the combine he is worthy of the 15 spot then draft him. If not then trade down and draft him.

BlackGold4vr
02-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Hey I'm not shocked by this since I was the one that has been Pimp'In Spencer on this site for some time now.:bluelol:

Whoever was pimpin him first, he looks like the kinda player that could upgrade our D almost immediately! I think that pick would make Haggans and Arnold Harrison expendable. To all of you secondary doubters, adding a guy like this who is possibly the premier pass rusher in this years draft would upgrade our secondary immediately! Decreasing the amount of time that opposing QB's have to look downfield improves any secondary! With Anthony Smith and Troy playing the safety positions and Ike and Bryant McFadden at the corners I look for better secondary play this year! Bring on Anthony Spencer! :tt02:

:beer4:

BB2W
02-24-2007, 08:11 PM
I watched Anthony Spencer many times this past year and everytime I watched he always made a play at least thats what it seemed. I started the talk of the Steelers drafting Spencer so I'm all for it.I was gonna ask you how it started. I knew of him being a fan of the Big Ten, but he never really stood out until I re-watched the Penn State/Purdue game from this past season. I watched Spencer every snap and he was impressive.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-24-2007, 08:13 PM
I was gonna ask you how it started. I knew of him being a fan of the Big Ten, but he never really stood out until I re-watched the Penn State/Purdue game from this past season. I watched Spencer every snap and he was impressive.

I live in Big 10 country. So I was able to watch alot of Purdue games. I just like the fact that it seemed he was always doing something positive. Dude I swear everytime I watched he seemed like he made a play. Plus I havn't heard of any character flaws. So thats key also.

BB2W
02-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I live in Big 10 country. So I was able to watch alot of Purdue games. I just like the fact that it seemed he was always doing something positive. Dude I swear everytime I watched he seemed like he made a play. Plus I havn't heard of any character flaws. So thats key also.I was impressed most with his ability to chase down run plays to the opposite side of the field, and in short yardage. He makes a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage.

House of Steel
02-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I would rather have Spencer over Okoye right now the way it is going.

BlackGold4vr
02-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Some guy by the name of Rod Woodson! Things turned out pretty well for us with that pick! :beer1:

House of Steel
02-24-2007, 08:21 PM
OH Yes, Rod Woodson was from Purdue. Hmmmmm. Must be an every other decade thing going on.

BlackGold4vr
02-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Round 1 - Anthony Spencer/DE-OLB/Purdue/6'3 261/s.c rank 30
Round 2 - Justin Blalock/OT/Texas/6'4 329/s.c rank 47
Round 3 - Michael Bush/RB/Louisville/6'2 250/s.c rank 63

The only guy that is a stretch out of these 3 is Bush. Our picks in those rounds without moving up or down would be 15/47/79

Bush missed nearly all of the 2006, suffering a season-ending leg injury in the first game at Kentucky after rushing for 128 yards and three touchdowns in the first half against the Wildcats. During his three plus seasons, Bush has rushed for more than 2,300 yards and 39 touchdowns, averaging 5.7 yards per carry. His 39 career touchdowns rank second in school history!

Coincidentally the player sitting at the 79th spot is Brian Leonard. I don't know if Leonard is as good a pick anymore because he has lost a lot of weight to show his worth as a tailback and improve his speed. Can't get smaller without a compromise.........power? :scratch:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-24-2007, 08:44 PM
I would be happy very happy.

House of Steel
02-24-2007, 08:47 PM
I would be toasting a beer to that lineup. Man, that would be our best draft picks in years since the 70s Dynasty.

Koopa
02-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Round 1 - Anthony Spencer/DE-OLB/Purdue/6'3 261/s.c rank 30
Round 2 - Justin Blalock/OT/Texas/6'4 329/s.c rank 47
Round 3 - Michael Bush/RB/Louisville/6'2 250/s.c rank 63

The only guy that is a stretch out of these 3 is Bush. Our picks in those rounds without moving up or down would be 15/47/79

Coincidentally the player sitting at the 79th spot is Brian Leonard. I don't know if Leonard is as good a pick anymore because he has lost a lot of weight to show his worth as a tailback and improve his speed. Can't get smaller without a compromise.........power? :scratch:

that would be one hell of a day one, but yeah, bush will be long gone by the time we pick in the third........

BlackGold4vr
02-24-2007, 09:04 PM
that would be one hell of a day one, but yeah, bush will be long gone by the time we pick in the third........

RB 1 Adrian Peterson JR 6-1.5/225/4.50 Oklahoma Palestine, TX
RB 2 Marshawn Lynch JR 5-10.5/220/4.55 California Oakland, CA
RB 3 Antonio Pittman JR 5-11/200/4.50 Ohio State Akron, OH
RB 4 Tony Hunt SR 6-0/225/4.55 Penn State Alexandria, VA
RB 5 Lorenzo Booker SR 5-11/195/- Florida State Ventura, CA
RB 6 Brandon Jackson JR 5-11/210/- Nebraska Horn Lake, MS
RB 7 Kenny Irons SR 5-11/200/- Auburn Dacula, GA
RB 8 Michael Bush SR 6-2/250/- Louisville Louisville, KY
RB 9 Jason Snelling SR 5-11/233/- Virginia Chesterfield, VA
RB 10 Gary Russell JR 5-11/195/- Minnesota Columbus, OH

With Bush being ranked this low on the RB list I believe its possible that he could fall to us. Hunt is the guy who I feel we have no shot at! With DE/OLB and OL the priorities in the first 2 rounds..........no way Hunt falls to the 3rd round! :tt02:

BlackGold4vr
02-24-2007, 09:12 PM
I would rather have Spencer over Okoye right now the way it is going.

:iagree:

As much as I really love Okoye......Spencer better fills our needs! If Okoye is there at 15 that would be a really tough decision! Im sure Tomlin would love to have that decision to make! :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I agree, Bush may be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd round but if we could put together a couple early day 2 picks we might be able to move up alittle in the 2nd or 3rd. .

If we got that lineup on Day 1 the SA Draft day party will be toasting a huge success !

BlackGold4vr
02-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Tony Pashos, Willie Anderson and Nat Dorsey are 3 guys who are probably praying that the Steelers choose an O-lineman first instead of a OLB. They are the starting right tackles for the Ravens, Bengals and Browns who would have to deal with Spencers speed rush twice a year. No doubt they would rather gameplan for Clarke Haggans! :lol:

DIESELMAN
02-25-2007, 11:43 AM
RB 1 Adrian Peterson JR 6-1.5/225/4.50 Oklahoma Palestine, TX
RB 2 Marshawn Lynch JR 5-10.5/220/4.55 California Oakland, CA
RB 3 Antonio Pittman JR 5-11/200/4.50 Ohio State Akron, OH
RB 4 Tony Hunt SR 6-0/225/4.55 Penn State Alexandria, VA
RB 5 Lorenzo Booker SR 5-11/195/- Florida State Ventura, CA
RB 6 Brandon Jackson JR 5-11/210/- Nebraska Horn Lake, MS
RB 7 Kenny Irons SR 5-11/200/- Auburn Dacula, GA
RB 8 Michael Bush SR 6-2/250/- Louisville Louisville, KY
RB 9 Jason Snelling SR 5-11/233/- Virginia Chesterfield, VA
RB 10 Gary Russell JR 5-11/195/- Minnesota Columbus, OH

With Bush being ranked this low on the RB list I believe its possible that he could fall to us. Hunt is the guy who I feel we have no shot at! With DE/OLB and OL the priorities in the first 2 rounds..........no way Hunt falls to the 3rd round! :tt02:

Bush could raise his stock in the combines. He has to show his leg is fully healed, if he can run a good 40, he'll move into the top 5. I like Spencer for our 15th pick whether people think we're reaching or not. If he can come in and be a solid contributor to the Defense from the start all the reaching talk will be long forgotten. Why take a chance on someone else taking him if we drop down just so it doesn't look like we're reaching. :2cents:

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2007, 12:30 PM
We have all seen stars projected in the first round drop several rounds because teams were scared of whether the player would be ready to immediately contribute because of the injury they were coming off of! Question is: if we have already secured Anthony Spencer in the first round and say Justin Blalock in the second........would you want Bush if he is still there? I say, YES! Even if he has not completely regained all his strength, speed or agility......we have Davenport who could spell MB until he was all the way back! We could work him into the offense slowly. :clap:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-25-2007, 12:33 PM
We have all seen stars projected in the first round drop several rounds because teams were scared of whether the player would be ready to immediately contribute because of the injury they were coming off of! Question is: if we have already secured Anthony Spencer in the first round and say Justin Blalock in the second........would you want Bush if he is still there? I say, YES! Even if he has not completely regained all his strength, speed or agility......we have Davenport who could spell MB until he was all the way back! We could work him into the offense slowly. :clap:

I'm in totall agreement with Spencer, Blalock and Bush. Like you said Bush can take his time until he is ready. With Willie Parker as the starter and with a good chance Dookie being resigned its not like Bush will have to carry the load for the Steelers running game.