PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin moves into the area

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2007, 11:08 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07054/764398-66.stm

City living suits Tomlin family
Friday, February 23, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS -- Mike Tomlin has accomplished something in his first month on the job as Steelers coach that his two Super Bowl-winning predecessors did not in their combined 38 years with the team: He bought a house in the city of Pittsburgh.

Tomlin, his wife and three young children will move in soon. He may be the first Steelers coach to live in the city in more than 50 years, according to Dan Rooney. Walt Kiseling, who last coached the team in 1956, was probably the last one to live in the city, said Rooney, the club's chairman and former president.

"There are lot of things to do in the city," said Rooney, who moved with his wife, Patricia, back into his late father's house on the North Side years ago from Upper St. Clair. "It's a good place. They usually clean the streets of snow in the city, and where he is going to live is pretty good."

As Mayor Luke Ravenstahl tries to convince families and young professionals to live in the city, he has a high-profile new resident to hold up as an example. Mike and Kiya Tomlin bought a large house in Shadyside and the young coach said he plans to live there for as long as the Steelers employ him.

In that sense, he's no different from the two coaches who preceded him, Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher. Each bought a house for their families when they were hired and lived in it until they left the Steelers. But neither lived in the city. Noll lived in Upper St. Clair in the same house for all 23 years on the job, and Cowher lived in the same house in Fox Chapel for his 15 years with the Steelers.

Tomlin will become the first head coach of the Steelers to pay Pittsburgh city taxes in a long time. His new home in Shadyside is old, roomy and has a good back yard for his children -- two boys ages 6 and 5 and a daughter, 9 months -- Tomlin said.

"I'm a guy who likes to get out and do things with my family," said Tomlin, 34 and the second-youngest head coach of any of the four major pro sports leagues. "We're close to a lot of the activities and things. It's a great place, close to work -- all of the above. Just the diversity the city gives us as a family is important to us."

Tomlin's move into the city not only is unusual for a Steelers coach, but it's also rare even for players. Most live in the suburbs north of the city, although some live on the South Side, where the Steelers UPMC training facility is 7 years old.

Interesting how he chose to be more in the city then out in the suburbs with most of the players and other coaches. Shows even more that he's a no frills, downhome kinda guy IMO.

PsychoWard
02-23-2007, 11:18 AM
yeah that is really cool!!! looks like he plans to stay for awhile!

TampaSteelGirl
02-23-2007, 11:33 AM
i'm quite pleased with that decision. Shows he's very serious about Steeler football!! :tt02:

House of Steel
02-23-2007, 11:42 AM
That is something to read. I like this very much, he wants to raise his family deep in the roots of the city of Pittsburgh. I like this guy a lot.

TampaSteelGirl
02-23-2007, 12:01 PM
The cool thing is I don't think he really knows the positive impact that it will have on him in the fans eyes. It shows commitment to the team for sure. :tt02:

BB2W
02-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Welcome home Mike!!! :redcool:

Steelersfan
02-23-2007, 12:26 PM
This guy seems to be making all the right moves. I'm quite impressed.

BBG7
02-23-2007, 01:04 PM
I love the guy!!! He is already turned in to a Pittsburgh guy! I can't wait to see him in action!

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2007, 01:51 PM
I love the guy!!! He is already turned in to a Pittsburgh guy! I can't wait to see him in action!

:bigthumb:I'm liking everything I have heard from Coach Tomlin so far. I wanted Whisenhunt to get the job at first but the more I read about Tomlin the more I was impressed.

I think this team with Tomlin has the talent to make a Super Bowl run. I just hope the players buy into what Coach Tomlin is selling.

SteelerFan87
02-23-2007, 02:11 PM
"Rooney, who moved with his wife, Patricia, back into his late father's house on the North Side years ago from Upper St. Clair"

He moved back there? No way! I pass that house all the time on the way to church! I knew it was the Chief's house, but I didn't know Dan still lives there!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2007, 02:49 PM
:bigthumb:I'm liking everything I have heard from Coach Tomlin so far. I wanted Whisenhunt to get the job at first but the more I read about Tomlin the more I was impressed.

I think this team with Tomlin has the talent to make a Super Bowl run. I just hope the players buy into what Coach Tomlin is selling.

That's the million dollar question...how long will it take them to buy into it, how many players will have problems picking up his coaching style and working together with him. There's so much to do yet and so much for everyone to learn together but so far he's saying and doing all the right things.

BB2W
02-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Here is a slideshow with pictures of the house he bought...

link: http://www.wpxi.com/news/11095203/detail.html

floodcitygirl
02-23-2007, 06:05 PM
How beautiful is that? What a classic. That staircase is amazing!

House of Steel
02-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Nice House indeed. Wow.

Iron City South
02-25-2007, 09:28 AM
What? ... Did I read this correctly? ... Our Coach living in the city amongst the people? ....

Wow, what a far cry from the previous King Laird of Fox Chapel ... who chose to live amongst the suburban elite upper-crust and country club crowd!

TampaSteelGirl
02-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Here is a slideshow with pictures of the house he bought...

link: http://www.wpxi.com/news/11095203/detail.html

Pretty sweet house!!!!!!! :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Looks like he found a gem indeed, I like it, especially that staircase and patio !

BBG7
02-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Nice house.