PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Decision on Porter must be made soon

Koopa
02-23-2007, 02:09 AM
i hope they keep porter for at least this year......... and for starks, it looks like he's staying, he isn't worth giving up a second or first round pick, they might as well give him the 1.8 tender, what's 500g more?? lol

Friday, February 23, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS -- Free agency starts a week from today and the Steelers still have not made their intentions known about linebacker Joey Porter.

Coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday he has talked to Porter but gave little indication what plans he may have for him.

Porter, who turns 30 March 22, is due a $1 million roster bonus March 6 and a $4 million salary next season, his last under contract. He threatened to hold out for a new contract last training camp until then-coach Bill Cowher convinced him not to.

Porter had a subpar season for him in 2006 after making the Pro Bowl in three of the previous four seasons. He has been their starting right outside linebacker since 2000 and moved into third place on their career list with 60 sacks, seven of them last season.

Porter, one of the defensive co-captains, would become an unrestricted free agent immediately if the Steelers do not pay him the bonus by March 6.

Tomlin said yesterday at the National Scouting Combine that he has talked to Porter, but when he was asked yesterday if Porter would be back with the Steelers for 2007, he deferred.

"I have no thoughts on that regard," Tomlin said. "I talked to Joey just like I talk to every other player. He's under contract. He's a Pittsburgh Steeler."

That fell far short of any warm endorsement for a player of Porter's status, and it might be that the new coach will bring some cold, hard decisions to a team and its players, who won a Super Bowl a little more than one year ago. Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations, has said he welcomes Tomlin's objective opinions of players for whom others in the organization might have stronger emotional feelings based on what they've done in the past.

After the season, Porter was asked if he felt he would be with the Steelers in 2007.

"At the end of the day it's going to be up to the organization," said Porter. "I am here. This is home for me. But it is a business, and just like everybody else I want to make sure I make the right business move for my family. I would love to finish my career here. I am going to just sit back and wait."

Tight on salary cap
The Steelers squeezed under the NFL's salary cap when they reported Jeff Hartings retirement and erased his 2007 salary from their books. But they remain tight and must find ways to create even more space if they are to add anyone in free agency or sign some of their own players to long-term deals.

"We're looking at several options and we're going to weigh those in the upcoming days and move forward in that regard," Tomlin said. "But we have several options and we're exploring those."

Starks question
Team officials have not yet decided what kind of one-year salary tender to give tackle Max Starks, who will become a restricted free agent next Friday, their only free agent among their 22 starters.

They will pick from one of two -- a $1.3 million tender or a $1.8 million tender. Either would maintain their right to match any other contract Starks would receive in free agency, but if they decided not to match, the different tenders would provide different compensation to the Steelers. If they tender him a $1.3 million salary, they would receive a second-round draft pick if he signs elsewhere and they don't match; a $1.8 million tender would bring them a first-round draft pick from the team that signs him.

Contracts expire
The Steelers have been talking to the agents for some of their players whose contracts expire next Friday, all of them backups. Among those they'd like to sign is halfback Najeh Davenport.

Intelligence testing
The NFL has issued the Wonderlic test to prospects for years as a way to determine a player's intelligence. It again became a controversial subject when quarterback Vince Young's low test score was revealed publicly last year, incorrectly at first.

"Personally, I've never been a Wonderlic guy," Tomlin said. "That's just me. It doesn't measure football intelligence. You don't know the background, the way guys have prepared for the test and all that. You've got to go based on your interactions with people and what you see on tape.

"The Wonderlic is a form of measurement and it's just one form of measurement. You can't put too much stock into it in my opinion. I think it's a combination of all of the above that you need to use in terms of evaluating a player."

Tomlin said he puts more stock in the Steelers' psychological test that they give each of the prospects.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07054/764403-66.stm

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Contracts expire
The Steelers have been talking to the agents for some of their players whose contracts expire next Friday, all of them backups. Among those they'd like to sign is halfback Najeh Davenport.

:woot: Unlike many on here I'd like to see Najeh come back and let's give him a chance to see what he can do with a full offseason and camp under his belt. Maybe he'll flourish,maybe he won't, but I think he's got a shot.

The Wonderlich test is so overrated, I don't know why they bother using it anymore :scratch:

Bring back Porter, the dude needs to come back and finish his career as a Steeler. Everybody keeps saying he had a sub par year in 2006...The entire DAMN TEAM had a sub par year. Even if Porter doesn't finish with double digit sacks everybody said he sucked that year, the guy does alot more than just get sacks, all our LB's do.

If Im the Steelers I definitely tender max the 1.8 million offer, that's a no brainer if you ask me. We're thin at Tackle since Essex and Colon have barely a handful of starts and actual game experience between them. Bring back Max without breaking the bank and let him fight it out with Colon for the starting job.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I think the only way you see porter comeback. It at a much smaller salary.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2007, 10:22 AM
I thought that too, but the more I think about this it wouldnt surprise me to see him come back and us pay him more than we might think. I don't know, something just tells me he's coming back. :helmet:

PsychoWard
02-23-2007, 10:38 AM
i think we need porter he is the heart and sole of that D he might have had an off season be he is the one that keeps that defense motivated

House of Steel
02-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Porter is going to come back.

Najeh being resigned? I would be all for that :tt02:

Give Starks the 1.8 million tenture. No brainer too.

I just hope we can get some contracts restructured to free up some cap space and go splashing in the FA market.

TampaSteelGirl
02-23-2007, 12:11 PM
I really hope he comes back, I was worried when Cowher left because of them being so close but perhaps Cowher will talk him into staying and retiring a Steeler. I just can't imagine him leaving. :tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Porter is going to come back.

Najeh being resigned? I would be all for that :tt02:

Give Starks the 1.8 million tenture. No brainer too.

I just hope we can get some contracts restructured to free up some cap space and go splashing in the FA market.

Well here is the thing House of course Joey and Max will be back and I agree with you. But if not who in the hell is going to replace them?:bluelol: The Steelers don't have alot of depth our experience at OT or OLB. So its not even a question to bring both back.

As for Dookie? I'm not a big Davenport fan he is ok and he would be good for depth. But even if he is resigned the Steelers better look to draft a RB. I wouldn't be to confident with Dookie being the starter if Willie went down with a long term injury.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2007, 03:53 PM
If James harrison could stay healthy we'd wouldn't have such an immediate need. Even so we'd still want to draft a LB/DE this year, and more than 1 for future help, but with Haggans not playing well and both Harrisons injured more than we'd like we have no choice but to look early and often for DE/LB help.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Steelers are tight against the cap. I be shocked if porter was not already apporached about a restructing.

Koopa
02-23-2007, 04:24 PM

:woot: Unlike many on here I'd like to see Najeh come back and let's give him a chance to see what he can do with a full offseason and camp under his belt. Maybe he'll flourish,maybe he won't, but I think he's got a shot.

The Wonderlich test is so overrated, I don't know why they bother using it anymore :scratch:

Bring back Porter, the dude needs to come back and finish his career as a Steeler. Everybody keeps saying he had a sub par year in 2006...The entire DAMN TEAM had a sub par year. Even if Porter doesn't finish with double digit sacks everybody said he sucked that year, the guy does alot more than just get sacks, all our LB's do.

If Im the Steelers I definitely tender max the 1.8 million offer, that's a no brainer if you ask me. We're thin at Tackle since Essex and Colon have barely a handful of starts and actual game experience between them. Bring back Max without breaking the bank and let him fight it out with Colon for the starting job.

training camp for a running back is the most overrated thing ever, a full training camp/offseason isn't gonna change the fact that he's soft..... running backs don't need training camps to be good, you either got it or you don't...... that's why running back is the easiest position coming out of college, cause you get the ball and you run, no like wr with all the routes and **** like that

floodcitygirl
02-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Besides the fact that I think Porter is a team motivator and leader that we need, he has to come back....my son just got his jersey this past season!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2007, 07:20 PM
training camp for a running back is the most overrated thing ever, a full training camp/offseason isn't gonna change the fact that he's soft..... running backs don't need training camps to be good, you either got it or you don't...... that's why running back is the easiest position coming out of college, cause you get the ball and you run, no like wr with all the routes and **** like that

Oh for god sakes, here we go again with the soft talk. You don't know if he's soft or not, you've only seem him play alittle bit last year. Training camps for running backs is not overrated. Camp is where you learn the offense, get acclimated to the coaching staff, playbook, terminology, and your teammates. Training camp is where you get comfortable with the offense and your role. Najeh stepped in after the season started and then didn't get to play for the first month after that. You give this guy a full offseason to work with his coaches and a full camp to work with the OL and I'll bet we see a different Najeh. Having said that I don't think he was all that bad last year and Tomlin must think he's got something to contribute or they wouldnt be talking about bringing him back.

BlitzburghNation
02-23-2007, 10:36 PM
:popcorn:
Here's my :2cents: worth,,,,,,, We draft a rb on the 1st day of draft
and keep davenport :clap: Let them earn the backup job behind Willie !
That's 3 RB's should get us through the season :tt02:
As for signing porter,we all know the answer to that Question it's been proven through the years,the steelers will not pay a LB big money late in there career,so it's simple PORTER will play for the steelers for lessor money
or he'll take the big pay-off and be on another team !

Captcoolhand
02-24-2007, 02:23 PM
I like Porter and do beleive he will be here even at his regular pay but for Starks,Let him go, use that money on porter or Troy.:bigthumb:
Here's the bad thing about the draft....you never know how the ball is going to bounce. We might just end up trading down to save money and get extra pick and grab 2-3 Averge players compare to 1 averge and possible bust.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Porter looking to be paid the average of the top five linebackers in the nfl. In his next contract. Things that make you go hmmmm.