PDA

View Full Version : Combine Report

Iron City South
02-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Good read on the combine that some of you may be interested in reading.

http://www.gbnreport.com/scoutsnotebook.htm

Sounds like some feel strongly that Tony Hunt would be worth a #2 or possibly work out a deal to move up in the 3rd to get him if he's still there. :helmet:

2. Tony Hunt (Penn St.) 6'2" 219 4.54 RB- One of my favorite players coming out in this years draft. Is one running back who gets better as the game goes on. He can completely wear down an opposing teams defense. Does not have great speed and won't make many big runs, but neither did Emmitt Smith. No, I'm not saying that he will be THAT good, but he is built along the same lines. Had a great senior season with 1,228 yards on 246 carries (5.0 YPC) and 11 TDs. He also had 26 receptions for 252 yards and 3 TD's showing that he can catch the ball out of the backfield. Played 4 years at Penn St., so he has a ton of experience and has been well coached. Will be a great between the tackles runner at the next level. Will move the chains consistently, especially with a good line in front of him. If I am the Pittsburgh Steelers I would try to get him in black and gold this coming draft. Is absolutely perfect for their system, and will be the perfect compliment to Willie Parker. The Steelers need a big back and he would fit that great.:tt02:

PREDICTION: Hunt will be a second or third rounder and stay in the league for a decade.

BB2W
02-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Here is SI's list of players to watch...

link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/02/21/combine.preview/index.html

USA Today...

link: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2007-02-20-combine-side_x.htm

steeltown_heroes
02-21-2007, 03:36 PM
I saw a similar article on yahoo sports or maybe cbs sportsline. either way, i would love to see us pick up a good big back to compliment willie parker, and if we can get him in the 3rd, it'd be great

kgreen
02-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Good read on the combine that some of you may be interested in reading.

http://www.gbnreport.com/scoutsnotebook.htm

Sounds like some feel strongly that Tony Hunt would be worth a #2 or possibly work out a deal to move up in the 3rd to get him if he's still there. :helmet:

Sigh.......I heard similar last year with Michael Robinson. I hear stuff like "HE fits in with what the Steelers do in termsc of trick plays" and stuff like that. I don't know about Hunt, I like him, but I'd rather have Brian Leonard.:dunno:

BB2W
02-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Joe Thomas and Levi Brown looked good for 300+...

Koopa
02-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Sigh.......I heard similar last year with Michael Robinson. I hear stuff like "HE fits in with what the Steelers do in termsc of trick plays" and stuff like that. I don't know about Hunt, I like him, but I'd rather have Brian Leonard.:dunno:

everyone though robinson was gonna be a A.R.E. type player but he was a running back for the 49ers

BB2W
02-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Levi benched 31 reps... I think Blaylock did the most with 40.

Tony Ugoh pulled his quad, and Ryan Kalil has looked good in every drill.

A lot of lineman ran sub 5 sec. 40's...

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Levi benched 31 reps... I think Blaylock did the most with 40.

Tony Ugoh pulled his quad, and Ryan Kahlil has looked good in every drill.

A lot of lineman ran sub 5 sec. 40's...

Doesn't that just blow your mind that today's athlete's who are that big and strong can run that fast...you didn't see that 15 years ago.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Doesn't that just blow your mind that today's athlete's who are that big and strong can run that fast...you didn't see that 15 years ago.

Must be the roids.:bluelol:

BB2W
02-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Greg Olson TE from Miami just ran a 4.47/40. He was impressive in the NCAA skills challenge too.

He ran a 4.45 in his second attempt... 2-3 tenths af a second faster than everyone else.

BB2W
02-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Combine time!!! Calvin Johnson ran a 4.35/40. :yesnod:

House of Steel
02-25-2007, 11:08 AM
DAMN!!!

BB2W
02-25-2007, 11:24 AM
DAMN!!!
He did it in someone else's shoes. He wasn't gonna run, but decided to when he saw all the scouts and coaches. He borrowed shoes from another receiver.

House of Steel
02-25-2007, 11:26 AM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH there the catch. Thanks for letting me know the catch. :smh2: Showoff!

BB2W
02-25-2007, 11:45 AM
One of the Steelers scouts has been in charge of running the 40's. He seems like a cool guy.

Not as cool as John Lott though...

BB2W
02-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Anthony Gonzalez ran a 4.44/40.

Robert Meachem ran a 4.36/40

steelcurtain09
02-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Brian Leonard
4.49 40
34.5 Vert

Koopa
02-26-2007, 12:03 AM
calvin johnson is a ****ing beast, he's gonna be the rookie of the year, and whoever drafts him will have at least 5 more wins then they had last year, the dude is randy moss in minny, and t.o. combined without the attitude...... hopefully he gets drafted by an nfc team, i don't want him in the afc.....hopefully the browns pass him up

House of Steel
02-26-2007, 12:05 AM
That would be a sure thing, Koopa, the Browns always F*CKS up. :lol:

BlackGold4vr
02-26-2007, 12:37 AM
calvin johnson is a ****ing beast, he's gonna be the rookie of the year, and whoever drafts him will have at least 5 more wins then they had last year, the dude is randy moss in minny, and t.o. combined without the attitude...... hopefully he gets drafted by an nfc team, i don't want him in the afc.....hopefully the browns pass him up

Most mocks have Jemarcus Russel going first to Oakland, Joe Thomas going second to Detroit, I have heard Cleveland going RB with Peterson or QB with Quinn. Tampa Bay will probably take Calvin! I also wouldn't be shocked if Gruden pulls a surprise and takes Okoye. He coached him at the senior bowl and couldn't stop singing Okoye's praises! If Tampa passes on him the next 3 teams are all NFC teams. So I don't think he should end up on an AFC team unless someone makes a deal to move way up! :helmet:

Koopa
02-26-2007, 12:53 AM
and most mocks have us taking a DB lol...... the lions should pick him lol, him and roy williams would be one killer duo.... he should go top 3, if he doesn't the three teams that pass him up should be blown up

DIESELMAN
02-26-2007, 11:12 AM
LB's and DL's are working out now.....

DIESELMAN
02-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Spencer ran a 4.76 in his first 40 attempt. He came out low and strong.

DIESELMAN
02-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Spencer just ran a 4.73 on his 2nd attempt. Only Robison and Moss were faster. Spencer also had 30 reps with 225 lbs.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Spencer just ran a 4.73 on his 2nd attempt. Only Robison and Moss were faster. Spencer also had 30 reps with 225 lbs.

Damn not to bad. Ok just draft the damn dude at 15 and watch him kick *** in Black@Gold this year.

Let the Pimp'In of Anthony Spencer continue. Thats my dogg thats my dogg.:bluelol:

BB2W
02-26-2007, 12:52 PM
They just said Spencer would like to go somewhere he can play in the three point... he said he's played his whole career with his hand down.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Im sure he'd be able to adjust nicely to our scheme. Ok Im sold on the dude too, bring him on !!!

BlackGold4vr
02-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Damn not to bad. Ok just draft the damn dude at 15 and watch him kick *** in Black@Gold this year.

Let the Pimp'In of Anthony Spencer continue. Thats my dogg thats my dogg.:bluelol:

He would be a rather large OLB don't ya think? He has 16 pounds on Joey Porter and Joey aint a small guy! He would be like another Levon Kirkland!

51 James Farrior LB 6-2 243
50 Larry Foote ILB 6-1 239
53 Clark Haggans OLB 6-4 243
92 James Harrison LB 6-0 242
57 Clint Kriewaldt LB 6-1 248
55 Joey Porter OLB 6-3 250
54 Rian Wallace OLB 6-2 243
49 Anthony Spencer OLB 6-2 266

Bring him on! :helmet:

:deadhorse:

Koopa
02-26-2007, 03:42 PM
They just said Spencer would like to go somewhere he can play in the three point... he said he's played his whole career with his hand down.

well then **** him :lol:, damn i hate march and most of april, it's to damn long to wait lol............

BB2W
02-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Did anyone else see Rich Eisen run a 40 in his suit and dress shoes?... He got a 6.43 it was funny. :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-26-2007, 06:12 PM
He would be a rather large OLB don't ya think? He has 16 pounds on Joey Porter and Joey aint a small guy! He would be like another Levon Kirkland!

51 James Farrior LB 6-2 243
50 Larry Foote ILB 6-1 239
53 Clark Haggans OLB 6-4 243
92 James Harrison LB 6-0 242
57 Clint Kriewaldt LB 6-1 248
55 Joey Porter OLB 6-3 250
54 Rian Wallace OLB 6-2 243
49 Anthony Spencer OLB 6-2 266

Bring him on! :helmet:

Adalius Thomas is listed at 6-2/ 270 and he played OLB for the Ravens. Plus he played other positions as well but mainly OLB. That is who Spencer reminds me of is Adalius Thomas.

I said back in Jan that Spencer is the perfect hybrid type of player for the Steelers to use in a 3-4 or 4-3. So lets keep beating this dead horse I don't care Spencer is my guy.:bluelol:

DIESELMAN
02-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Did anyone else see Rich Eisen run a 40 in his suit and dress shoes?... He got a 6.43 it was funny. :lol:

Yeah I seen that :lol: I think he pulled a hammy.

DIESELMAN
02-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Ok I'm going to beat a different kind of horse. Like BB2W said he was interviewed and he said he would rather stay at end instead of going to OLB, granted he did say if a team asked him to switch he would. I know it'll take some time to get used to playing OLB especially when hes been used to playing DE his whole career. I was watching him and a couple of others in drills today especially the pass coverage drills. He wasn't the only tweener who didn't look comfortable backpedaling and switching from left to right fluidly, I'll give him this his hands aren't as hard as alot of the other guys. He did look good in the pass rushing skills from both the left and right side. So heres my point...How much time would it take for him to get used to playing OLB after playing DE his whole career? dropping back in coverage? taking on TE's and possibly RB's?

Black@Gold Forever32
02-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Ok I'm going to beat a different kind of horse. Like BB2W said he was interviewed and he said he would rather stay at end instead of going to OLB, granted he did say if a team asked him to switch he would. I know it'll take some time to get used to playing OLB especially when hes been used to playing DE his whole career. I was watching him and a couple of others in drills today especially the pass coverage drills. He wasn't the only tweener who didn't look comfortable backpedaling and switching from left to right fluidly, I'll give him this his hands aren't as hard as alot of the other guys. He did look good in the pass rushing skills from both the left and right side. So heres my point...How much time would it take for him to get used to playing OLB after playing DE his whole career? dropping back in coverage? taking on TE's and possibly RB's?

I think thats typical every year among the collge DE that don't want to switch to OLB in a 3-4. I hear it every year. As for him the tweeners struggling in pass coverage drills. I think thats to be expected and again every year those tweenber guys struggle in those drills.

As for how long it would take for Spencer or other tweeners to get used to play OLB and dropping back into coverage.

As Steelers fans we just have to look at Jason Gildon, Joey Porter and Clark Haggans. None of those guys started right away and it took them 2-3 years before getting comfortable at OLB and dropping back in coverage.

One point though the Steelers might use a hybrid of the 3-4 and 4-3 so Spencer could still line up at DE sometimes in a 4-3.

DIESELMAN
02-26-2007, 07:07 PM
I think thats typical every year among the collge DE that don't want to switch to OLB in a 3-4. I hear it every year. As for him the tweeners struggling in pass coverage drills. I think thats to be expected and again every year those tweenber guys struggle in those drills.

Don't get me wrong I'm not all of sudden bashing the guy. I know hes not used to playing OLB thats why he did have problems in the coverage drills along with a few others. I guess I was looking for more natural ability to switch over. Just to put this out there, I hope everyone doesn't hold their breath on getting Spencer, I've got a funny feeling we'll be drafting someone else. But if we do draft him we got Porter :crossfingers: to help him switch over. Can't go wrong there.

K Train
02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
joey porter and clark haggans played DE with there hands down in college, Spencer is still thinking of himself as a DE pass rusher, which there is no reason why he shouldnt but he will realize hes better suited for an OLB eventually

Black@Gold Forever32
02-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm not all of sudden bashing the guy. I know hes not used to playing OLB thats why he did have problems in the coverage drills along with a few others. I guess I was looking for more natural ability to switch over. Just to put this out there, I hope everyone doesn't hold their breath on getting Spencer, I've got a funny feeling we'll be drafting someone else. But if we do draft him we got Porter :crossfingers: to help him switch over. Can't go wrong there.

I didn't think you were bashing Spencer at all just answering the questions you had in your post bro. I didn't think for one minute that you were bashing Spencer. We do have examples of players making the switch in our defense from DE to OLB to use as a guide.

DIESELMAN
02-26-2007, 07:30 PM
I didn't think you were bashing Spencer at all just answering the questions you had in your post bro. I didn't think for one minute that you were bashing Spencer. We do have examples of players making the switch in our defense from DE to OLB to use as a guide.

Its all good bro :bigthumb: I guess I'm having some doubts with Spencer, like I said I was looking more for natural coverage ability instead of him learning it. He didn't do bad with his hands.

BlackGold4vr
02-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Adalius Thomas is listed at 6-2/ 270 and he played OLB for the Ravens. Plus he played other positions as well but mainly OLB. That is who Spencer reminds me of is Adalius Thomas.

I said back in Jan that Spencer is the perfect hybrid type of player for the Steelers to use in a 3-4 or 4-3. So lets keep beating this dead horse I don't care Spencer is my guy.:bluelol:

I am still on the Anthony Spencer bandwagon....B&G4vr32
If you are an old school defensive player is there a better place to play?
Lets feed him some raw meat and gunpowder and beat him with purple and tiger striped sticks while wearing Carson Palmer and Steve McNair masks!

Black@Gold Forever32
02-26-2007, 08:56 PM
I am still on the Anthony Spencer bandwagon....B&G4vr32
If you are an old school defensive player is there a better place to play?
Lets feed him some raw meat and gunpowder and beat him with purple and tiger striped sticks while wearing Carson Palmer and Steve McNair masks!

I hear you bro keep beating that dead horse.:bluelol: