PDA

View Full Version : Is Jones a Lock as Ben's Back-up, or Maybe Not?

steelspikes
08-27-2018, 09:34 PM
Josh Dobbs starting the final Pre-season game of 2018 means one of two things: either he is being considered for the #2 QB slot, or he is being cut and the Steelers are giving him a chance to showcase his skills for other teams.
It would seem that Mason Rudolph, a high draft pick, is safe at #3 as a developmental talent... to be groomed as a possible future starter. The question revolves then around the #2 slot: Journeyman Landry Jones, or 2nd year player Josh Dobbs.
I have to admit, I haven't watched much Pre-season NFL this year. So what I am wondering is: has Dobbs shown enough maturity and ability to be able to displace Jones?
If Ben goes down, does Jones possess enough skill to win big games down the stretch, the way Nick Foles did in relief last year for Carson Wentz? I suspect that he does not. In which case it makes more sense to keep Dobbs, if he is deemed to have more talent, and is now considered to be sufficiently mature.

Steelcody36
09-02-2018, 07:24 AM
Jones was cut, thankfully!

steelspikes
09-02-2018, 02:45 PM
Yeah, not surprised really. Especially after watching the way Dobbs threw and ran in the team's final Preseason game. To echo a once popular song: "the boy can play!" Jones is aptly described as a "game manager," with no genuine upside beyond that. He may catch on as some team's #3, possibly a #2 in an injury situation.

teeceemadison
09-06-2018, 04:16 PM
better hope dobbs doesnt turn into a typical one read and run when the real games start....if he is called upon.