PDA

View Full Version : Bad Late Play Calling, Mental Errors Doom Steelers

steelspikes
12-17-2017, 07:40 PM
What was that 2nd and 18 draw play to 3rd string running back Fitz Touissant in the 4th quarter? Really? CBS Color Analyst Tony Romo nailed the blunders that set up New England's victory. From over-conservative play calling (a Mike Tomlin specialty) to the end of game blunders (failing to secure a catch, and throwing into traffic), this game once again sadly highlighted how the superior brain trust and coaching of the Pats' allows them to snatch final second wins from the jaws of defeat.

Steelerddan
12-17-2017, 07:53 PM
What was that 2nd and 18 draw play to 3rd string running back Fitz Touissant in the 4th quarter? Really? CBS Color Analyst Tony Romo nailed the blunders that set up New England's victory. From over-conservative play calling (a Mike Tomlin specialty) to the end of game blunders (failing to secure a catch, and throwing into traffic), this game once again sadly highlighted how the superior brain trust and coaching of the Pats' allows them to snatch final second wins from the jaws of defeat.Aren't you happy that you finally have something to post about after almost a month of nothing, you Tomlin haters enjoy yourself while us real Steelers fans move on to next week and hoping Brown is okay and securing a bye.

steelspikes
12-17-2017, 09:12 PM
o.A.T.
Aren't you happy that you finally have something to post about after almost a month of nothing, you Tomlin haters enjoy yourself while us real Steelers fans move on to next week and hoping Brown is okay and securing a bye.

Wow.Well, there's more to life than football. And while I have been a Steeler fan for over 5 decades, I'm not a cheerleader. You may have noticed: The Steelers have no cheerleaders!
I'm not a MT hater, by the way... was actually starting to like the guy. But the thing about the Pats is that they win games they really have no business winning. And they do it because of great coaching, and by being in the right place at the right time. They had no business winning the last 2 SBs they've won....but they did. They had no business winning tonight's game.
Tomlin's a good coach, but not great. Ben is a great qb; but he is not the G.O.A.T. Do you really want to see the Steelers trot up to New England for another Playoff beatdown? Haven't all Steeler fans had enough of that?

ChucktownSteeler
12-18-2017, 08:38 AM
I put this one squarely on JJ. He could have backed into the endzone instead of diving like a floundering quail. Not only that why didn't he run his rout 2 yards deeper?

And why of why didn't Ju-Ju stay on the sideline? Worse case he goes out at the 10-yard line and we didn't waste a TO.

muncher
12-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Aren't you happy that you finally have something to post about after almost a month of nothing, you Tomlin haters enjoy yourself while us real Steelers fans move on to next week and hoping Brown is okay and securing a bye.

tomlin won with cowhers players
tomlion has had a superior team, talent wise, for many years and cant win
he has done less with more
'real' fan meaning just happy to cheer for a team regardless of how they perform................yes you are. some are not.

muncher
12-18-2017, 07:32 PM
I put this one squarely on JJ. He could have backed into the endzone instead of diving like a floundering quail. Not only that why didn't he run his rout 2 yards deeper?

And why of why didn't Ju-Ju stay on the sideline? Worse case he goes out at the 10-yard line and we didn't waste a TO.

why didnt tomlin make an adjustment and double gronk? especially on the 2pt try.
why didnt tomlin stay aggressive instead of run up the middle?
why didnt davis or was it burns (they both sucked) pick off the easy int to seal the game?

steelspikes
12-18-2017, 11:03 PM
why didnt tomlin make an adjustment and double gronk? especially on the 2pt try.
why didnt tomlin stay aggressive instead of run up the middle?
why didnt davis or was it burns (they both sucked) pick off the easy int to seal the game?

MT loves to get conservative with a lead; he trusts Defense over Offense. He likes to "win ugly,"
and does so more than he loses. But when he needs to break out of his standard thought pattern, he struggles to adjust. It's painful to watch, but it's why he is a decent coach, but not a great one.

steelspikes
12-18-2017, 11:06 PM

Agree about James. First priority in that situation is to secure the catch; no need to try and be the hero. Not his role. Re Ju Ju, I think he honestly felt he had a chance to go all the way for six.

Real Deal Steel
12-19-2017, 12:49 PM
Ben had another chance but again wet the bed; fake spike? really? just spike it, kick the field goal and we get them in OT. We had the momentum.

As usual, the Pats own Tomlin and Ben mentally.

Real Deal Steel
12-19-2017, 12:50 PM
This loss is staying with me for a long time. I"m still in shock and disbelief at the stupidity of Ben in the final seconds.

teeceemadison
12-19-2017, 01:46 PM
ive read the rule over and over and still cant understand how this is not a legit catch, he was already on the ground, none of this b.s. about him being in the process of going to the ground, his knee touched down, and he clearly has full possesion when he breaks the plane of the goal line, the play is over at that point...

how many times have we seen a receiver catch a ball, and dive for the pylon with the ball in one hand, he hits the pylon or ground and the ball rolls out as he hits the ground, or gets knocked out at the pylon, and they call it a TD...how as this different???

North Steel
12-20-2017, 12:26 AM
Simple it's fixed.There's a reason why there's these gray areas in the rules, so the dumb a$$ refs can determine the outcome of the games.Fuc$ing explain to me how one team with only 2 weapons beats a team with 3-4 weapons, total bs. My 2 Steeler die hard kids with friend drove down to Pittsburgh from Toronto Ontario Canada and I felt so sorry for them that they had to witness this bull$hit instead of a great comeback.

steelspikes
12-27-2017, 12:39 AM
ive read the rule over and over and still cant understand how this is not a legit catch, he was already on the ground, none of this b.s. about him being in the process of going to the ground, his knee touched down, and he clearly has full possesion when he breaks the plane of the goal line, the play is over at that point...

how many times have we seen a receiver catch a ball, and dive for the pylon with the ball in one hand, he hits the pylon or ground and the ball rolls out as he hits the ground, or gets knocked out at the pylon, and they call it a TD...how as this different???
Absolutely share your frustration, and dreading the Steelers going up to Foxboro again in January. Re your comments, rules make a major distinction between what happens to a ball crossing the goal line when it is a runner or a receiver who has caught ball and secured possession before making a so called "football move" prior to crossing the goal line. James wasn't deemed to have fulfilled any of those; his attempted catch and dive to the end zone was ruled to be all one motion, therefore the rule requiring that the receiver maintain possession all the way to the ground and after hitting the ground. Different rule in effect for those who have clear posession.
Steelers not the first team to have an apparent catch overruled in a crucial situation, and unless they change the rule they won't be the last. Happened to Cowboys a few years back in crucial moment in a Playoff game!

LevonKirkland99
01-06-2018, 01:14 AM
Absolutely share your frustration, and dreading the Steelers going up to Foxboro again in January. Re your comments, rules make a major distinction between what happens to a ball crossing the goal line when it is a runner or a receiver who has caught ball and secured possession before making a so called "football move" prior to crossing the goal line. James wasn't deemed to have fulfilled any of those; his attempted catch and dive to the end zone was ruled to be all one motion, therefore the rule requiring that the receiver maintain possession all the way to the ground and after hitting the ground. Different rule in effect for those who have clear posession.
Steelers not the first team to have an apparent catch overruled in a crucial situation, and unless they change the rule they won't be the last. Happened to Cowboys a few years back in crucial moment in a Playoff game!

Pats are cheaters...we better be prepared if face them again.

ChucktownSteeler
01-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Both the Pats*** and the Steelers have potential trap games in the play-offs. They both need to take care of business first.