PDA

View Full Version : New look O-line?

BlackGold4vr
02-20-2007, 05:19 PM
No. 16 – BEN GRUBBS, OG, Auburn. Kendall Simmons enters the final year of his first contract and the Steelers can’t be too happy about his performance at guard over the years. He runs well, and that was the lure from the start, but he doesn’t hit anybody when he gets there. Neither is he the type to root out big tackles in the run game. However, a move to center could be in the offing, as Arians has indicated, and it could revive Simmons’s career. On the field, he’d fill the void left by the retired Jeff Hartings, and, off the field, he’d give the Steelers more info about his future.

Grubbs can’t run nearly as well as Simmons, but he’s a mauler-brawler who won’t have near the trouble physically with the Jamal Williamses and Marcus Strouds of the AFC world that Simmons has had. Grubbs also practiced at center at the Senior Bowl, which adds to his value.

This is just speculation. Grubbs is ranked as the 16th best player in the draft right now at scout.com and we have the 15th pick as you all know!

Imagine our O-line with Smith and Faneca on the left side. Grubbs and Colon on the right. Pick your center (Kendall Simmons, Chucki Okobi, Marvin Philips)

Here is another possibility. Smith and Faneca on the left side. Grubbs at center. Move Colon back to RG which is what he played in college and leave Max Starks at RT. Damn! That would be a stout O-line! :beer4:

How do you think Willie and Hunt/Leonard/Bush would like to run behind those horses?

BlitzburghNation
02-20-2007, 06:06 PM
:clap: :bigthumb: :tt02: More good news !

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2007, 06:22 PM
The OL is going to be something fun to watch this offseason and camp isn't it ! I can't wait to see who all steps up and takes the open jobs !

Starks, Simmons, Colon, Okobi, and Kemoeatu along with whoever we draft will all have a shot at getting the starting gigs on the right side of the line and at center.

BlackGold4vr
02-20-2007, 07:02 PM
The OL is going to be something fun to watch this offseason and camp isn't it ! I can't wait to see who all steps up and takes the open jobs !

I would be happy if they picked Grubbs at the 15th spot. Picking Grubbs would really give the Steelers a lot of options! The draft is loaded with DE's and OLB's. We could still get a great player with the 2nd round (47th overall pick) at DE/OLB. It could even be possible to trade up using a supplemental pick and still grab Spencer in the 2nd round. Day 1 could look something like this.

1. Grubbs/OG/6'3 318lbs/Auburn/rank 16th/our pick 15th
2. Spencer/DE/6'3 261lbs/Purdue/rank 32nd/our pick 47th
3. Bush/RB/6'2 250lbs/Louisville/rank 66th/our pick 79th or
Leonard/RB/6'2 235lbs/Rutgers/rank 82nd

Who wouldn't be happy with a day 1 draft like that? :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

BlitzburghNation
02-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Heard alot of good things about BUSH and the more i hear on sirius the more i want him ! But as for the 1st round,i'm really hoping that OKOYE will be there.......

BlackGold4vr
02-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Heard alot of good things about BUSH and the more i hear on sirius the more i want him ! But as for the 1st round,i'm really hoping that OKOYE will be there.......

There is just no way that he drops to the 15th spot! Here are scout.com's top six players in the draft. These guys are the only 5 star players in the draft!

WR 1 Calvin Johnson JR 6-4/235/- Georgia Tech Tyrone, GA
QB 2 JaMarcus Russell JR 6-6/260/4.80 LSU Mobile, AL
RB 3 Adrian Peterson JR 6-1.5/225/4.50 Oklahoma Palestine, TX
OT 4 Joe Thomas SR 6-8/306/- Wisconsin Brookfield, WI
DE 5 Gaines Adams SR 6-4.5/265/4.70 Clemson Fork Union, VA
DT 6 Amobi Okoye SR 6-1/312/- Louisville Huntsville, AL

We would have to trade waaayyyyyy up to get him and the higher up you move the more you pay. Its just not like the Steelers to move up that far to get somebody who they would have to pay big bucks to sign!

Grubbs would be a good grab for us! :bigthumb:

BlitzburghNation
02-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Never know though,,,,,Look where merriman & ware went !

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2007, 08:14 PM
There is just no way that he drops to the 15th spot! Here are scout.com's top six players in the draft. These guys are the only 5 star players in the draft!

WR 1 Calvin Johnson JR 6-4/235/- Georgia Tech Tyrone, GA
QB 2 JaMarcus Russell JR 6-6/260/4.80 LSU Mobile, AL
RB 3 Adrian Peterson JR 6-1.5/225/4.50 Oklahoma Palestine, TX
OT 4 Joe Thomas SR 6-8/306/- Wisconsin Brookfield, WI
DE 5 Gaines Adams SR 6-4.5/265/4.70 Clemson Fork Union, VA
DT 6 Amobi Okoye SR 6-1/312/- Louisville Huntsville, AL

We would have to trade waaayyyyyy up to get him and the higher up you move the more you pay. Its just not like the Steelers to move up that far to get somebody who they would have to pay big bucks to sign!

Grubbs would be a good grab for us! :bigthumb:

I agree there's no way we trade up THAT far to get him. Although it's anybody's guess as to how the draft will play out but it would take an awful lot to move up that far IMO, and not worth losing other picks to do it. Ive been really set on an DE/LB in the first round, but the way this draft is with not being very deep at OL after the first round it might behoove us to grab Grubbs; possibly even trade down a few spots if we think we can grab him later. :scratch:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-20-2007, 08:42 PM
I have said in the past Willie Colon was better suited for guard. So I wouldn't be suprised to see Colon end up at RG for Kendall Simmons.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-20-2007, 08:43 PM
I would be happy if they picked Grubbs at the 15th spot. Picking Grubbs would really give the Steelers a lot of options! The draft is loaded with DE's and OLB's. We could still get a great player with the 2nd round (47th overall pick) at DE/OLB. It could even be possible to trade up using a supplemental pick and still grab Spencer in the 2nd round. Day 1 could look something like this.

1. Grubbs/OG/6'3 318lbs/Auburn/rank 16th/our pick 15th
2. Spencer/DE/6'3 261lbs/Purdue/rank 32nd/our pick 47th
3. Bush/RB/6'2 250lbs/Louisville/rank 66th/our pick 79th or
Leonard/RB/6'2 235lbs/Rutgers/rank 82nd

Who wouldn't be happy with a day 1 draft like that? :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

You can't trade supplemental picks.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2007, 08:56 PM
I have said in the past Willie Colon was better suited for guard. So I wouldn't be suprised to see Colon end up at RG for Kendall Simmons.

Assuming Starks is here when Camp starts that's an option for us, but if Max leaves once FA starts we're going to need anybody with experience we can get to play Tackle for us.

BlackGold4vr
02-20-2007, 08:59 PM
You can't trade supplemental picks.

We could move up by swapping 2nd round picks and offering our third. We would then still have our supplemental pick in the 3rd.

We don't have room on our roster for 9 rookies anyway. May as well do some moving up by offering up picks to get players we want. Can we do that? :bigthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Assuming Starks is here when Camp starts that's an option for us, but if Max leaves once FA starts we're going to need anybody with experience we can get to play Tackle for us.

I know this thats why we have talked in the past about Starks not leaving since the Steelers don't have any experienced OT's.lol

I'm not saying Willie Colon can't play OT but I have read that some think he is better suited for guard. The Steelers really have no choice but to resign Starks unless they are going to bring in a experienced free agent OT. Looking at the free agents out there isn't really impressive. There is Leonard Davis but he was average at best with the Cards and looks like the Cards don't want to resign him.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-20-2007, 09:03 PM
We could move up by swapping 2nd round picks and offering our third. We would then still have our supplemental pick in the 3rd.

We don't have room on our roster for 9 rookies anyway. May as well do some moving up by offering up picks to get players we want. Can we do that? :bigthumb:

I'm not saying not to trade draft picks. I have no problem with trading picks. Just trying to state you can't trade supplemental picks. As for the Steelers having an extra third thats not known at the present time. They could get a 3rd but looks like they will get two extra 4th round picks.

BlitzburghNation
02-20-2007, 09:07 PM
:popcorn:

BlackGold4vr
02-20-2007, 09:40 PM

First of all he is projected to go right around where we are picking.

Starks leaves? Our line could look like this.

Smith/Faneca/Okobi/Grubbs/Colon

Starks stays? Our line could look like this.

Smith/Faneca/Grubbs/Colon/Starks

Few years down the road our right side would be our dominant side while we were looking for Faneca/Smith replacements. Either way I like both of these combinations of youthful exuberance and crafty veterans. We know Grubbs is good and can start (thats why he's projected as 16th overall). Colon showed us some of that New York Bronx attitude he can play with and I think he's gonna be good! Starks or Okobi would be the wild cards but I believe they would both play hard so they wouldn't be shown up by Willie and the rook! After last years play some change is in order on our O-line! There were a bunch of rooks that started last year on the O-line and performed very well. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Marcus McNeil, Davin Joseph, Deuce Lutui, Daryn Colledge.........these guys were all rookies who started! Doesn't scare me to start rookies on the O-line. After just a couple games they will be seasoned and will learn from their mistakes! :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Grubbs isn't projected 16th overall by everyone so let's not get all too worked up on him just yet. Your source says he's projected where we are picking but 20 other sources say something different so it's anybody's guess. Im not saying he wouldn't be a good fit for us, he may very well be, and if we take him he can be a rock for us for years to come.

Im sorry but Im just not real big on 3 of our 5 OL being either rookies or guys with very little experience. Especially with us coming off a year where the OL sucked *** for the most part. I'd rather have Starks here if we can help it. Colon could be a good tackle or guard for us or he could royally flop ( the guy only played 2 games so far), and we have other options to explore but the early part of this NFL season is far from promising from an OL standpoint.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2007, 09:47 PM
I know this thats why we have talked in the past about Starks not leaving since the Steelers don't have any experienced OT's.lol

I'm not saying Willie Colon can't play OT but I have read that some think he is better suited for guard. The Steelers really have no choice but to resign Starks unless they are going to bring in a experienced free agent OT. Looking at the free agents out there isn't really impressive. There is Leonard Davis but he was average at best with the Cards and looks like the Cards don't want to resign him.

:iagree:

Colon could very well be a beast guard or tackle for us or he could be a major flop. As I mentioned before the dude only started 2 games for us so he has a lot to learn. I want to see Max brought back if at all possible, and as you mentioned if he goes, I would like to see us grab a decent OT in FA just to help out with experience.

K Train
02-20-2007, 10:07 PM
we're goin defense in the first and RB in the second....tomlin told me so

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2007, 10:09 PM
we're goin defense in the first and RB in the second....tomlin told me so

Hey, tell him to check his messages will ya, I left him a voice mail last night about our day 2 strategy. :banana:

BlackGold4vr
02-20-2007, 10:16 PM

Colon could very well be a beast guard or tackle for us or he could be a major flop. As I mentioned before the dude only started 2 games for us so he has a lot to learn. I want to see Max brought back if at all possible, and as you mentioned if he goes, I would like to see us grab a decent OT in FA just to help out with experience.

Not looking for an argument. Just saying that if they took an O-lineman I wouldn't be upset. I understand why their is an attachment to Starks. He is a 3rd year monster with lots of potential. But he did not play very well last year. Neither did Kendall Simmons! That side of our line was clearly the weaker side! Not sure how many games I would want to watch those 2 guys perform like they did last year without trying another option. Starks could also turn out to be a major flop! Simmons too! No guarantees with either of them! Grubbs could be a nice option to turn too! Willie could turn out to be an All-Pro! Poor performer with experience doesn't trump youthful aggression with potential in my book. Is that a Bill Cowher chapter? :lol: We all agree that we should pick-up an O-lineman somewhere in the draft. If those vets cannot outperform the rooks in spring training........they should not start no matter what their experience! :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Not looking for an argument. Just saying that if they took an O-lineman I wouldn't be upset. I understand why their is an attachment to Starks. He is a 3rd year monster with lots of potential. But he did not play very well last year. Neither did Kendall Simmons! That side of our line was clearly the weaker side! Not sure how many games I would want to watch those 2 guys perform like they did last year without trying another option. Starks could also turn out to be a major flop! Simmons too! No guarantees with either of them! Grubbs could be a nice option to turn too! Willie could turn out to be an All-Pro! Poor performer with experience doesn't trump youthful aggression with potential in my book. Is that a Bill Cowher chapter? :lol: We all agree that we should pick-up an O-lineman somewhere in the draft. If those vets cannot outperform the rooks in spring training........they should not start no matter what their experience! :yesnod:

Starks could suck
Colon could suck
Kemoeatu could suck
Simmons does suck
Okobi could suck

or they could all rock we'll have the best OL ever..nobody knows just yet so these guys have to want it bad enough and be out for blood come training camp. None of this win by default crap, we can't afford that. We need to have guys on the OL step up and take the job and claim it !

Yes the whole left side was the weak link, hell the entire Line was a weak link. Based on their play last year by rights we should can them all and start over IMO. However we as Steeler fans know that the entire team was a shadow of its former self last year and almost something of an enigma that we hope never returns.

I fully expect Faneca and Smith to bounce back. After that the other 3 positions are a crap shoot so may the best man win !

BlackGold4vr
02-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Starks could suck
Colon could suck
Kemoeatu could suck
Simmons does suck
Okobi could suck

or they could all rock we'll have the best OL ever..nobody knows just yet so these guys have to want it bad enough and be out for blood come training camp. None of this win by default crap, we can't afford that. We need to have guys on the OL step up and take the job and claim it !

Yes the whole left side was the weak link, hell the entire Line was a weak link. Based on their play last year by rights we should can them all and start over IMO. However we as Steeler fans know that the entire team was a shadow of its former self last year and almost something of an enigma that we hope never returns.

I fully expect Faneca and Smith to bounce back. After that the other 3 positions are a crap shoot so may the best man win !

I think you meant the right side......didn't you? Faneca and Smith are on the left side. Simmons and Starks were on the right! Another factor as we have discussed before is that Jeff Hartings was injured and tried to play through it and was a shadow of his former self! When the middle of your line is collapsing in, that can have a domino effect on the whole line! We need depth there no matter what! :beer1:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Doh ! yeah my bad, the right side.

Agreed Jeff was a trooper but he definitely was playing hampered and all that pressure up the middle was just too much too handle. Jeff playing injured, Simmons just not playing well, then Starks having an inconsistent season and then getting hurt, it all just snowballed into a basically bad year for them.

K Train
02-20-2007, 11:08 PM
damnit why cant you guys just see that it was cowher last year, it was all cowher, cowher didnt care and i dont care what anyone says but him playing hartings was the foundation of our oline problems, if your center gets manhandled you dont have success

BlackGold4vr
02-20-2007, 11:27 PM
damnit why cant you guys just see that it was cowher last year, it was all cowher, cowher didnt care and i dont care what anyone says but him playing hartings was the foundation of our oline problems, if your center gets manhandled you dont have success

Hartings was absolutely manhandled in the Jaguar game, the Chargers game, and both Ravens games! We lost every one of those games! The Charger game really stands out in my mind. Jamal Williams threw Jeff around like he was his biatch! Then they tried to doubleteam him and he was manhandling the doubleteams! Gotta fix it! :lol:

Steelersfan
02-21-2007, 12:01 AM

Hey! Isn't this one of Koopas lines?.......:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

K Train
02-21-2007, 12:20 AM
im not completly hating cowher in general but i do blame him for the mess, you all act like we have trash for and oline, our players are good and the younger guys will have to step up which is what happens in the NFL, its actually the main purpose of drafting players out of college. We have bigger needs to address like OLB and RB...our line is fine, hartings and cowher are out...problem solved

TEEMONT
02-21-2007, 01:19 AM
im not completly hating cowher in general but i do blame him for the mess, you all act like we have trash for and oline, our players are good and the younger guys will have to step up which is what happens in the NFL, its actually the main purpose of drafting players out of college. We have bigger needs to address like OLB and RB...our line is fine, hartings and cowher are out...problem solved

1 out of 5 of our starting O-lineman are pro-bowlers, 1 out of 1 of our starting RB is a pro bowler. Hmmmmm, our line is not fine, we don't have a Center, RG, or RT, they re all average at best. Our needs are OLB and OL, RB should not be a priority.

Simmons hasnt been the same since his injury, Max Staks is too damned nice, and even though I want to think Chukki is the answer, I can't believe it.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Cowher was a problem but so were the players. Hartings was a Cowher guy we all know that, but would chukki have done anybetter for us? Nobody knows.

We have SOME good players on our OL like Faneca & Marvel Smith, Starks potentially.
We also have some players on our OL where the verdict is still out: Colon, Essex, Kemoeatu, Okobi, and Starks.
And we have some players that just haven't been playing well at all like Kendall Simmons.

We have work to do on our OL that much is clear, whether that's having our backups step up and take a starting job or whether it's getting some fresh talent in the draft to step in sooner than later, is anybody's guess.