PDA

View Full Version : Our players benefit more by staying with us

BlitzburghRockCity
02-18-2007, 04:42 PM
How many times have we seen this scenario happen...

A players contract is up, he goes to another team for more money and what happens...He stinks and/or the team stinks and said player then realizes he should have stayed in Pittsburgh.

The handful of players that actually left the Steelers and had equal or more success with their next team is so far out of whack from those that have stayed it's not even funny.

All these players that we have in the last year of their contracts coming up in 2008 better think long and hard about what they really want out of their NFL careers because history tells us that you are not generally as successful elsewhere when you've been a Pittsburgh Steeler. We drafted you, improved your skills and made you into the player you are today. It's not like you're going to go broke if you stay in Pittsburgh, I mean how much money do you really need to live on and provide for your family? If you want to stay successful then you better highly consider sticking around here.

Many of our players can perform well anywhere in the league, but our system combined with their talents is what puts them over the edge and into elite or atleast the Upper Echelon status of players at their position.

Just my :2cents:

Koopa
02-18-2007, 05:00 PM
maybe in a different era it would matter, but players truly don't give a **** about winning, they just want to get paid, they act like they want to win but they are full of ****, they just want a lot of money....... and now that most of our players have a ring, they ain't gonna give a **** anymore, they are gonna look to get paid because they've already did the highest thing you can do in the nfl.....

BB2W
02-18-2007, 05:04 PM
I agree, but a lot of the players toaday would rather have a couple extra million than a couple extra Pro Bowl appearances.

Hardy Nickerson and Willie Williams are the only players that I can think of that had their best years after their stay in Pittsburgh. Orpheus Roye has had a solid career too...

BlitzburghRockCity
02-18-2007, 05:13 PM
It's something I'll probably never understand. How greedy do you have to be, how much money do you really have to have to live on and survive after your NFL career is done. The NFL gives them every opportunity to be smart with their finances and the world has a plethora of financial institutions and options available to keep their money working for them so they can do things after the NFL to continue to make money and thrive...yet all too often all they see are dollar signs.

NFL immortality means or should mean alot to these guys. Maybe they won't make it to the HOF one day, but why not stay with a team that has a winning history and attitude, a family atmosphere, with the best owners in the league??? yeah you might make a few million less in your career but damn, when you're making double digit 7 figures over your career, winning should be a priority somewhere in there too.

Hburg
02-18-2007, 08:22 PM
they are gonna look to get paid because they've already did the highest thing you can do in the nfl.....

If I already had a ring, I'd want to make a dynasty. But that's just me, I guess when you think about it if you are a player from one area and play on a team in another area it is harder to make that connection to really want to do well for that team. Like if I grew up in Philly but then got drafted by a team like Kansas City.....it would take me a damn lot more to really get pumped like I would if I was from Philly and then playing for the Eagles.

BuFu

kgreen
02-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Yep this is true. Players like Randle El, Kendrell Bell and Chris Hope can have good careers here, then go after money and flop with a lesser team. We draft these players for a reason: They Fit Our System. They don't get that and leave. I mean it might be big deal at some positions (like ILB) but a WR it hurts when you don't have an exciting player like Randle El to run trick plays with.

BBG7
02-18-2007, 10:35 PM
It's our system that makes these guys what they are. We work the system around them and mold them to fit into our way of playing football. When they leave, they lose that system that backs them all up and they usually don't see the success they as an individual or a team had with the Steelers!

steelcurtain09
02-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Yep this is true. Players like Randle El, Kendrell Bell and Chris Hope can have good careers here, then go after money and flop with a lesser team. We draft these players for a reason: They Fit Our System. They don't get that and leave. I mean it might be big deal at some positions (like ILB) but a WR it hurts when you don't have an exciting player like Randle El to run trick plays with.

Hope did pretty well this year
he had a career best season

BlitzburghRockCity
02-18-2007, 11:27 PM
There are some that do well, like Chad Brown for example. Chris Hope had a good year but I think he could have had just as good if not better had he stayed with us and continued to work side by side with Troy.

kgreen
02-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Hope did pretty well this year
he had a career best season

You know what I mean though. :yesnod:

SteelersWoman
02-19-2007, 03:26 PM
...It's not like you're going to go broke if you stay in Pittsburgh, I mean how much money do you really need to live on and provide for your family?...

It's something I'll probably never understand. How greedy do you have to be, how much money do you really have to have to live on and survive after your NFL career is done.... yeah you might make a few million less in your career but damn, when you're making double digit 7 figures over your career...

This is what I've been sayin for a long time now. Personally, it makes me sick when people are just greedy. They all make too much money as it is. There is NObody worth millions each year--I don't care WHO you are, or WHAT you do, so I have no good feelings for anyone who chooses the dollar over everything else.

It's our system that makes these guys what they are. We work the system around them and mold them to fit into our way of playing football. When they leave, they lose that system that backs them all up and they usually don't see the success they as an individual or a team had with the Steelers!

We can say that about past players and the past system--I'm just hopin that it will still work the same way now :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-19-2007, 03:40 PM
It's an interesting to think about, how many players would have a lifelong dream to play professional sports if the paychecks were nothing more than maybe a few hundred thousand a year or so ?