PDA

View Full Version : Magnitude of game won't come into play - Tate signed

ChucktownSteeler
12-30-2014, 02:39 PM
I back this 100%. Bell has a great future ahead to risk for 1 game, playoffs or not. Also, I say we beat the Rats with or with out him.

The Steelers have signed veteran running back Ben Tate as insurance for injured LeíVeon Bell, even though Coach Mike Tomlin did not rule out the possibility of the teamís MVP playing in Saturday nightís wild-card playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens.

However, Tomlin said Bell would play only if heís healthy enough to be effective and defend himself.

Tateís signing would appear to indicate Bell will not play against the Ravens.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/12/30/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Mike-Tomlin-Le-Veon-Bell-not-ruled-out-vs-Ravens/stories/201412300158

JackLambert
12-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Tate’s signing would appear to indicate Bell will not play against the Ravens.

Not necessarily. We've clearly needed another RB since the Ahole was sent packing. That Justin Brown is finally gone is a nice little ancillary benefit as well.

Real Deal Steel
12-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Harris is still the better RB.

SuperSteelers
12-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Harris is still the better RB.

No disrespect but what are basing your statement on? Watching his Wake Forest highlights were mostly against lesser opponents such as Duke, Navy, Vanderbilt, and Providence College (PC).

Real Deal Steel
12-30-2014, 04:50 PM
No disrespect but what are basing your statement on? Watching his Wake Forest highlights were mostly against lesser opponents such as Duke, Navy, Vanderbilt, and Providence College (PC).

No disrespect taken. Looking at his speed/burst and elusiveness on his 71 yard run that was erroneously called back. That one play showed me more then Tate has all year.

Rocky#20
12-30-2014, 04:53 PM
The big advantage that Harris has is that he knows the plays. I think they use Tate very sparingly if at all on Saturday.

ChucktownSteeler
12-30-2014, 05:10 PM
The big advantage that Harris has is that he knows the plays. I think they use Tate very sparingly if at all on Saturday.

That's exactly correct. Harris knows the plays, check-downs and blitz pick-ups. Plus he is in "football shape". These variables give him the edge over Tate.

KemoTherapy
12-30-2014, 05:17 PM
That's exactly correct. Harris knows the plays, check-downs and blitz pick-ups. Plus he is in "football shape". These variables give him the edge over Tate.

Hopefully you're right but I can rest a little easier knowing they have an experienced back they can turn to if Harris isn't up to the task.

SuperSteelers
12-30-2014, 07:12 PM
Harris knows the plays, check-downs and blitz pick-ups.

This is the biggest concern I have about Josh. I haven't seen enough of him to know if he can handle the blitzes and this is why I am extremely glad that Tate was signed. I don't really care who carries the load from the RB position because the Ravens will shut that down anyhow. Ben needs a competent pass blocker to protect him because that is how the Steelers will win this game. I guess we will all find out Saturday if Josh is the total package.

ChucktownSteeler
12-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Hopefully you're right but I can rest a little easier knowing they have an experienced back they can turn to if Harris isn't up to the task.

I agree, I am for anything move that helps beat the Rats and move forward in the playoffs. We need as many healthy bodies as possible.

The Rats are most most explicit cheap shot team in the NFL over the past decade or so. Even last meeting Suggs tried to roll up on the back of Blount's knees. Ngaat broke Ben's hose a few seasons back, one of their thugs almost paralyzed Heath in 2011 or 2012. This is a cheap shot artist team unequaled and protected by Roger Goodell.

Real Deal Steel
12-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Yes....
They are protected by Roger. Their his favorite team and he's on record as saying such and his actions have backed it up (initially covering for Rice being his latest evidence).

ChucktownSteeler
01-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Ben Tate to wear #34.

Blitzburgh92
01-02-2015, 12:46 PM
I like this. If Harris got injured then we wouldn't have a RB at all. Archer isn't a RB, he's a kick returner and a scat back, but I would be willing to bet 15 carries in a game would result in at least 1 fumble. Also, Harris looked alright, especially with that long run, but so did Dwyer when he first came in. I'm sure Tate will be pumped up to finally be with a good team and in the playoffs with a QB who can actually win a SB, so I'm sure he'll play his best. Hopefully Harris does well from the start though and proves himself as our 2nd RB.

Real Deal Steel
01-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Archer hasn't proven he's anything so far. Returning kicks is the limit that I want to see him.

ChucktownSteeler
01-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Archer hasn't proven he's anything so far. Returning kicks is the limit that I want to see him.

Correct, the problem is any gadget play that is designed for him puts him on the field. This immediately tips the opposing defense's hand as they know there is a good chance he is getting the ball. There is no element of surprise.

KemoTherapy
01-02-2015, 07:43 PM

God, what a wasted pick that was for that midget. Even Tomlin called him a "luxury" pick...this at a time when the team can't afford luxury picks. Even taking a flyer on a Seantrel Henderson or a Zach Kerr would have been far better gambles and more importantly would have filled in at positions of need. Hell, I'm sure they could have grabbed a guard who would have instantly been better than Foster(who is now the weakest link on the line).

coach
01-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Bell will be missed because he could do everything and was dependable in that he never fumbled. Demarco Murray put up yards but was not as good a RB.

ChucktownSteeler
01-03-2015, 07:18 PM
We'll this could end up being an audition for RB next season. Bell is suspended the first 2 games. Harris and Tate have a chance to find a home. Both are young, however both have an injury riddled past.

Real Deal Steel
01-03-2015, 07:31 PM
If we found a way to run this ball effectively, I know we'd win this game.

ChucktownSteeler
01-03-2015, 09:47 PM
If we found a way to run this ball effectively, I know we'd win this game.

We win if we start scoring TDs and forget about FGs. Got to get more explosive in the red zone.