PDA

View Full Version : Threat of long ball supercharging Steelers offense

ChucktownSteeler
12-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell are having career years. All three could be All-Pros and any of them could be the team’s MVP without much argument.

But, if Roethlisberger, Brown and Bell are the Steelers’ three best offensive players, rookie receiver Martavis Bryant might be the most important.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/12/13/Threat-of-the-long-ball-supercharging-Steelers-offense/stories/201412130074

Blitzburgh92
12-13-2014, 04:38 PM
There's no doubt it's breaking plays open. Bryant may not be Randy Moss (yet), but as a decoy he's damn near as good. If you take 2 or 3 guys to cover you then you're as good as anybody on that play. They can't focus on him that much though because Brown needs extra attention and he's a deep threat also. It must really give defensive coordinators fits trying to figure out how to account for both of them plus Bell and Miller nearly every play. You would think with that on your side that you could be consistent. I really don't understand how this offense could ever have a bad game with so many offensive threats and a great QB, especially to a terrible team.

SuperSteelers
12-13-2014, 08:41 PM
I have notice lately that any defensive pressure appears to get Ben out of his rhythm/game, especially if he gets hit hard at least once during the game. Once that happens, the offense seems to sputter out the rest of the game.

ChucktownSteeler
12-14-2014, 10:38 AM
I have notice lately that any defensive pressure appears to get Ben out of his rhythm/game, especially if he gets hit hard at least once during the game. Once that happens, the offense seems to sputter out the rest of the game.

I saw the opposite against the Ravens. The cheap shot on Ben and his jaw seemed to ignite him and the Steelers.

Blitzburgh92
12-16-2014, 04:52 PM
I saw the opposite against the Ravens. The cheap shot on Ben and his jaw seemed to ignite him and the Steelers.

Yes that did, reminded me of the old days. However I have noticed the pressure gets him off his rhythm when he's not getting hit but is getting closed in around fast. I suppose all QB's do, but Ben traditionally hasn't. It's been one of the things that's set him apart. It's only happened a few times though, I'm sure he'll play well from here on out.

Speeed
12-16-2014, 07:23 PM
The Ravens always pull that crap. How many times has he been hit like that when they play? And it always seems to be at the beginning of the game. I don't want to accuse, but it is almost as if they try to do that as part of their game plan. Not just tackle him, but hit him in a way that hurts, regardless of the penalty. Yeah, crazy, I know - but it happens enough it can't really be ignored. Imagine hitting Sir Flacco that way - the Steelers would never hear the end of it.

Vincent
12-17-2014, 01:40 PM

Ben always plays better after he's taken a hard hit, especially one to the head. That causes him to think less, and a Ben who thinks less is a good Ben.

Vincent
12-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell are having career years. All three could be All-Pros and any of them could be the team’s MVP

Antonio Brown is the MVP, hands down. He's been there since the first hike day in/day out. He's caught anything that's been thrown his way, and hasn't had anything remotely close to an "off day" all season.

This will be known as the season he went from being an excellent receiver to a full-fledged superstar.

coldrolled
12-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Ben always plays better after he's taken a hard hit, especially one to the head. That causes him to think less, and a Ben who thinks less is a good Ben.

That is a good one.