PDA

View Full Version : Great Win, But Curbing Enthusiasm

steelspikes
12-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Never too surprised when Ben wins a duel vs. Ginger: Bungals overpaid for mediocrity.

Main reason for curbing my enthusiam is the recurring nightmare known as the Pittsburgh Steelers Secondary. When Willie Gay is your top defender on the back end you are in trouble.

Commentators are now classifying Mike Mitchell as a "bust." No disagreement with that assessment here.

I just have a vision of this season ending while the back of jersey #24 trails an opposing receiver by ten yards as he heads for paydirt. It's becoming a weekly sight.

Steeltrap
12-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Mitchell seems to have been a product of the pass rush they had in Carolina. I saw him get burned yesterday, drop an interception, he was just a hot mess. Lost in the fact that we won, A.J. Green lite us up for over 200 receiving yards.

And now we face Julio Jones and Roddy White?? :thinking:

With little pass rush to speak of, we will be in another close game with the Falcons.

muncher
12-08-2014, 04:09 PM
great win. lets see what team show up next week

Blitzburgh92
12-08-2014, 04:45 PM
The Falcons may not be "that good", but it's basically a playoff game. The Ravens have an easy remaining schedule and I doubt they will lose a game, so that means Pittsburgh can't lose a game. If the Steelers lose either to the Chiefs or the Falcons, then they will have to not only beat the Bengals again, but then hope the Bengals lose another game on top of that. After that the odds and scenarios get too much to get into. Pittsburgh usually plays their best ball at the end of the year, and I'm sure Tomlin and Haley feel the breath on their necks, so I see a 100% effort from here on out. That doesn't mean we will win all 3 games, but I don't see the lazy, unmotivated, undisciplined, poorly coached Steelers showing up again this year.

As for the Falcons, White and Jones will not be stopped, period, nothing more to it. The defense just needs to focus on stopping the run, and we need Ben and Bell to keep White and Jones off the field. The Falcons are terrible against the run, so barring one of Todd Haley's *** backwards game plans, Bell should run all over them. They don't have anything special at CB either, but we do at WR. I don't like that it's in Ryan's house, but if they let that stop them then I don't give a damn what happens the rest of the season.

SuperSteelers
12-08-2014, 06:07 PM
great win. lets see what team show up next week

I have no doubt that we will see the same defense that gets burnt on numerous occasions show up in next weeks game. My only concern is which offense will show up, the one that dropped 51 on the Dolts, 43 on the Ratbirds, 42 on the Bungles, or are we going to see the offense that only put up 10 points against the Stains, 13 against the Jets, and 17 against the Jaguars.

Blitzburgh92
12-08-2014, 06:43 PM
I haven't been following the Falcons too much, but I just heard on NFL network that the team believes that they "have turned the corner" and that they have won 3 of their last 4, including over the Cardinals. Plus they can easily win their division. Seems like every team, damn near every week, has some reason to be pumped up to play us. I'm getting much less optimistic. If the Steelers study, prepare, and plays like this is a playoff game then I think we'll win still, but anything less and we'll lose.

Vincent
12-08-2014, 06:58 PM
I have no doubt that we will see the same defense that gets burnt on numerous occasions show up in next weeks game.

Does this team have any other defense ?

ChucktownSteeler
12-08-2014, 08:21 PM
The Falcons game is earlily reminiscent of the Saints game. Both played Monday night, the Saints lost and more than likely the Falcons will lose tonight.

The question is can Tomlin beat a team with a losing record when it is all on the line?

KevinE
12-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Mitchell, Troy, Ike are no good.

SuperSteelers
12-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Does this team have any other defense ?

Exactly my point.

cali_fan
12-09-2014, 12:34 AM
Pretty much we have to win T.O.P. if we don't and they run the score up we're done. We need to run bell hard this week

Steeltrap
12-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Ben needs to only throw the ball 22-27 times this game. Run Bell super hard and mix in the Harris too. Get them thinking run so much and then hit them with a play-action pass.

Making the passes even more effective. Each pass can go for 15-25 yards a pop. That's how you do it. Dominate the TOP also.

Rocky#20
12-09-2014, 02:05 PM
We are going to have to win another shootout. The score is going to be something like 41-38, basically the last team with the ball will win.

Real Deal Steel
12-13-2014, 01:35 PM
No shootout needed because Julio Jones is only at 50 percent for this game.

Blitzburgh92
12-13-2014, 04:33 PM
A shootout isn't a guaranteed loss. If the Colts scored 50 against us, the Ravens 40, and the Bengals 40, all 3 still would have lost. I realize games aren't exactly that simple, but the point is that when our offense is prepared and on point it would probably take the Patriots to match it. The problem is consistency, but ironically the offense seems to do much better when it knows it has to score a bunch of points and I'm sure they are thinking that for this game. They know the defense is terrible, Julio Jones at 50% or not, we don't even have anybody to stop Roddy White. Hell, we don't have anybody to stop Jones at 50%, or damn near anybody for that matter. I still think running the ball and TOP should without a doubt be the game plan, but if our defense is extra terrible, we no longer have to consider it a guaranteed loss.

ChucktownSteeler
12-14-2014, 10:38 AM
This will be a wild-west shoot-out.

cali_fan
12-15-2014, 01:00 AM
Any news on Mitchell and troy?

Real Deal Steel
12-15-2014, 01:45 AM
We lucked out. No doubt that the absence of Julio was the deference Today. But ill take it.

steelspikes
12-16-2014, 11:36 AM
We lucked out. No doubt that the absence of Julio was the deference Today. But ill take it.

'bout time we caught a break. Look at Ratbirds: 3 rookie (or 3rd string) QBs in final 3 games!