PDA

View Full Version : Silly question....

Vincent
11-22-2014, 05:25 PM
watching college football today made me think of this....

Does anybody know if Iowa Univ. needed to get the Steelers' permission to duplicate their uniforms ? If I had to guess I would guess they didn't need permission, but I dunno.

igor0190
11-22-2014, 05:50 PM
In 1979, Hayden Fry helped to create the Tiger hawk, the logo seen on Iowa's football helmets. Since both teams shared the colors of black and gold, Fry gained permission from the Pittsburgh Steelers, the dominant NFL program of the 1970s, to overhaul Iowa’s uniforms in the Steelers’ image. Fry's idea was that if the team were going to act like winners, they first needed to dress like winners. Fry had originally asked Steelers Defensive Tackle "Mean" Joe Greene for a replica helmet and home jersey; Greene was able to send Fry to one of the team owners, and three days later, the owners sent Fry reproduction copies of the home and away uniform of Steeler Quarterback Terry Bradshaw, making Iowa one of only a few schools to use the uniform scheme of an NFL team. Although the uniforms appear the same, there are subtle differences, mainly in the scheme of the white away jerseys, the Steeler jerseys have the players names in yellow, while the Hawkeyes use black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Hawkeyes_football#Uniforms

Big T
11-22-2014, 06:38 PM
In 1979, Hayden Fry helped to create the Tiger hawk, the logo seen on Iowa's football helmets. Since both teams shared the colors of black and gold, Fry gained permission from the Pittsburgh Steelers, the dominant NFL program of the 1970s, to overhaul Iowa’s uniforms in the Steelers’ image. Fry's idea was that if the team were going to act like winners, they first needed to dress like winners. Fry had originally asked Steelers Defensive Tackle "Mean" Joe Greene for a replica helmet and home jersey; Greene was able to send Fry to one of the team owners, and three days later, the owners sent Fry reproduction copies of the home and away uniform of Steeler Quarterback Terry Bradshaw, making Iowa one of only a few schools to use the uniform scheme of an NFL team. Although the uniforms appear the same, there are subtle differences, mainly in the scheme of the white away jerseys, the Steeler jerseys have the players names in yellow, while the Hawkeyes use black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Hawkeyes_football#Uniforms

Nice. I learned something new today haha

Vincent
11-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Nice. I learned something new today haha

ha - I learned something too.

thanks Igor !

Blitzburghpete
11-24-2014, 02:19 AM
and this is why when i decdied to follow a college team to support i chose the Hawkeyes :) Didnb't know anything about college football but seeing them made me think, " they look like the steelers, they will do "

Go Hawkeyes :)