PDA

View Full Version : Has there ever been...

Blitzburghpete
11-10-2014, 02:57 PM
A steeler we lost to free agency / or trade, and you wish we hadn't ? Then that same player then goes on to greatness for another team ??

I'm struggling to think of a player i wished the Steelers had kept to be honest. I do wish they kept Rod Woodson and moved him to safety, and i really liked what Ernie Mills/Andre hastings did for the steelers. Apart from that i've never really regretted a player moving on as they never seemed to do well outside pittsburgh.

What ever happened to Yancy Thigpen or Kendrel Bell ?

NeilPatrickBanana
11-10-2014, 03:09 PM
A steeler we lost to free agency / or trade, and you wish we hadn't ? Then that same player then goes on to greatness for another team ??

I'm struggling to think of a player i wished the Steelers had kept to be honest. I do wish they kept Rod Woodson and moved him to safety, and i really liked what Ernie Mills/Andre hastings did for the steelers. Apart from that i've never really regretted a player moving on as they never seemed to do well outside pittsburgh.

Keenan Lewis, a top 10 corner in the NFL

Fun stat:

Lewis was 9th in the NFL last year in "FPPS". That's fantasy points per snap. It may sound like a silly stat, but it's actually a solid measurement of CB ability vs WR. It factors yards, catches, and TDs against.

Keenan Lewis was #9 in this stat (minimum 800 snaps). William Gay was actually 3rd, but he played 43% in the slot, and only 13% against #1 WRs.

So Keenan was #9, but more importantly, of the top 20 he played the 2nd most against the #1 WR (46%) and only Revis played a larger % of his snaps against the #1WR

So to answer your question. Keenan Lewis. Obviously Keenan Lewis. The biggest mistake we've made in 10 years was letting Keenan Lewis go (Signing Lamaar Woodley is a close 2nd)

link for chuck:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/14/worst-fantasy-cb-matchups/

TarlsQtr
11-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Keenan Lewis, a top 10 corner in the NFL

Fun stat:

Lewis was 10th in the NFL last year in "FPPS". That's fantasy points per snap. It may sound like a silly stat, but it's actually a solid measurement of CB ability vs WR. It factors yards, catches, and TDs against.

Keenan Lewis was #9 in this stat (minimum 800 snaps). William Gay was actually 3rd, but he played 43% in the slot, and only 13% against #1 WRs.

So Keenan was #9, but more importantly, of the top 20 he played the 2nd most against the #1 WR (46%) and only Revis played a larger % of his snaps against the #1WR

So to answer your question. Keenan Lewis. Obviously Keenan Lewis. The biggest mistake we've made in 10 years was letting Keenan Lewis go (Signing Lamaar Woodley is a close 2nd)

link for chuck:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/14/worst-fantasy-cb-matchups/

I do not get to watch too many Saints games, but hasn't he fallen on some tough times this year (not counting his knee injury yesterday)?

tat2
11-10-2014, 03:29 PM
K. Lewis is the only one playing now that I can think of.
Wish we would/could have resigned Deebo instead of him becoming a bungle.
Can't remember if it was FA or he wasn't resigned but I wish J. Porter would have stayed in the black and gold.

Rollers
11-10-2014, 03:41 PM
gotta think on that one

TarlsQtr

Mike Vrabel, Kevin Greene, Johnny Unitas

soulkitchen
When you look at the free agent losses that the Steelers have had going back to the 90s. There are few and far between that have been considered "wins" for the signing teams. The ones I can think (other than the ones already discussed) of are:

1. K.Lewis - NOR (so far looks like a win for NOR)
2. H.Nickerson - TBY (was an consistent starter, pro-bowler, and all-pro)
3. C.Brown - SEA (was one of the few stars on some bad SEA teams)
4. T.Everett - DAL (only played a couple of seasons, but was a strong starter at safety for the SB teams)
5. A.Faneca - NYJ (again only a couple of years, but was a pro-bowler those years)

That's not many over a very long period of time. I'll let someone else fire away on the "ones that fizzled" list.

TarlsQtr
11-10-2014, 03:42 PM
K. Lewis is the only one playing now that I can think of.
Wish we would/could have resigned Deebo instead of him becoming a bungle.
Can't remember if it was FA or he wasn't resigned but I wish J. Porter would have stayed in the black and gold.

But that means Harrison would not have played.

Rollers
11-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Duce Staley - dude was a FIXTURE!

NeilPatrickBanana
11-10-2014, 03:46 PM
I do not get to watch too many Saints games, but hasn't he fallen on some tough times this year (not counting his knee injury yesterday)?

not to my knowledge.

KemoTherapy
11-10-2014, 04:43 PM
There's been a few over the years but my 50 yr old brain isn't working too good today lol. Keenan wanted to go back to his home town so unless they offered a ridiculous amount like $20 mil/ year he wasn't staying.

NeilPatrickBanana
11-10-2014, 04:48 PM
There's been a few over the years but my 50 yr old brain isn't working too good today lol. Keenan wanted to go back to his home town so unless they offered a ridiculous amount like $20 mil/ year he wasn't staying.

I don't buy the Keenan wanted to go home... i've read the quotes... i dont buy it.

If the Steelers signed him a year before he went to free agency (like theyve doen with cortez, gilbert, etc), i see no way Lewis would've turned down 30 million, to play for 900k and risk injury.

KemoTherapy
11-10-2014, 05:01 PM
I don't buy the Keenan wanted to go home... i've read the quotes... i dont buy it.

If the Steelers signed him a year before he went to free agency (like theyve doen with cortez, gilbert, etc), i see no way Lewis would've turned down 30 million, to play for 900k and risk injury.
I never heard it directly from his mouth but have read the quotes many times. He really wasn't that good until his contract year and I don't think there was a whole lot of positives for the team to reward him for at the time. Like most of these guys these days he probably thought way too highly of himself and got pissed off at the team for not giving him the key to Fort knox after his rookie year lol.

NeilPatrickBanana
11-10-2014, 05:06 PM
I never heard it directly from his mouth but have read the quotes many times. He really wasn't that good until his contract year and I don't think there was a whole lot of positives for the team to reward him for at the time. Like most of these guys these days he probably thought way too highly of himself and got pissed off at the team for not giving him the key to Fort knox after his rookie year lol.

he was good in his 3rd year in sub package football, instead of signing him long term, they gave him a 1 year RFA Qualifying offer, gave him a starting job, and he ran away with it while heading to free agency.

Poor analysis, poor contract choice, poor asset management

igor0190
11-10-2014, 11:19 PM
I was sad to see Kevin Greene go... He had a very good career in Carolina after he left the Steelers.
That being said, he was a Ram for longer than he was a Steeler.

Blitzburghpete
11-11-2014, 03:29 AM
good stuff here chaps,
Got to say there really weren't many that starred outside of Pittsburgh was there, certainly not since 2000, and that's 14 years ago. The most notable in that time is Keenan Lewis, but apart from him in the last 14 years i'm struggling to think of anyone.

Before that, for me like i said in the Op it was only Rod Woodson i wished they kept.

FlatsSteeler
11-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Buddy Dial.....This was one of the worst trades in NFL History:
Dial was drafted in the second round of the 1959 NFL Draft by the New York Giants, but was cut by the team before the season started.
Pittsburgh Steelers.
He signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers, where he became a star, after being teamed with quarterback Bobby Layne. He held the team record for touchdown receptions in a season (12) and was an All-Pro three times.
One of Dial's most famous moments was when he scored a touchdown against the Cowboys in 1962. As he ran into the endzone, a loud explosive charge was set off right in front of him, heavily startling him; a moment that has been remembered as one of the NFL's greatest follies.
In 1964 the Pittsburgh Steelers traded him to the Dallas Cowboys, in exchange for the rights of their first round draft choice Scott Appleton. However, Appleton ended up siging with the Houston Oilers of the AFL, who had also drafted him in the first round. The shenanigans both teams used in the attempt to sign Appleton was one of Myron Cope's favorite stories and the transaction became known as the "Buddy Dial for Nothing" trade.

K Train
11-11-2014, 12:37 PM

Signed him the year before the year he started to look anything close to competent? I mean maybe, but you are clearly forgetting some of his struggles here