PDA

View Full Version : Troy and Shazier

Dean Denton
11-03-2014, 02:55 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows what's up with the injuries to Troy and Shazier? And any updates on the return of Jarvis?

Nolrog
11-03-2014, 06:28 AM
We won't hear anything until tomorrow around noon when Tomlin does his weekly press conference. Looks like Shazier will be out a few weeks though (was wearing a boot on the sprained ankle).

KevinE
11-03-2014, 07:16 AM
Would assume Shaz will miss some time

steelchamp204
11-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Ryan Sweatsuit Shazier, injured again.

TarlsQtr
11-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Shamarko hurt his other hammy too. It will leave us thin at safety if both he and Troy miss time.

LatrobePA
11-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Ryan Sweatsuit Shazier, injured again.

LOL, stop it. He seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

K Train
11-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Shaz really cant catch a break

steelchamp204
11-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Shaz really cant catch a break

Dont say that, next will be his femur.

JensK
11-03-2014, 10:11 AM
LOL, stop it. He seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Thats part of being a rookie as well. As you adjust to the speed of the game and whatnot, you're bound to become better to position yourself better. That said, Mosley sure is looking like a stud right now...

KemoTherapy
11-03-2014, 10:16 AM
The roll up on Troy looked pretty bad. I'm starting to think that Shazz. is just going to be one of those guys who's always injured. I was really surprised that Harrison was able to get back on the field after his injury as he seemed to be in a lot of pain.

K Train
11-03-2014, 10:21 AM
The roll up on Troy looked pretty bad. I'm starting to think that Shazz. is just going to be one of those guys who's always injured. I was really surprised that Harrison was able to get back on the field after his injury as he seemed to be in a lot of pain.

Way to early for that...hes not sean lee yet

steelchamp204
11-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Way to early for that...hes not sean lee yet

He getting off to a quick start though. I just think he is missing such good game experience. It sucks also, because he has just been unlucky.

NeilPatrickBanana
11-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Am I the only one that's kind of OK with Shazier missing some more time? Our base D has looked better when Vince is getting snaps at the buck, and Timmons moves back over to Mack.

Neither Shazier or Spence has been very good this year.

harpo
11-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Am I the only one that's kind of OK with Shazier missing some more time? Our base D has looked better when Vince is getting snaps at the buck, and Timmons moves back over to Mack.

No, you're not the only one. I'm with you.

Rocky#20
11-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Shamarko hurt his other hammy too. It will leave us thin at safety if both he and Troy miss time.
I was thinking the same thing. Do we have a safety on the practice squad? Or do we go and sign one off the street?

Steeltrap
11-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Shazier will be a good/great player going forward. No worries. He'll learn how to take care of his body better and avoid injuries too. It's a process fellas.

He'll have a good off-season/training camp under his belt next summer and I expect to see an upgrade in his entire play.

K Train
11-03-2014, 12:40 PM

Im fine with it....I believe he will be an impact player, but for now Vince Williams is playing shockingly good football.

VW = second worst player on the defense as a rookie to a very servicable MLB in year two, i imagine Shazier will be able to make a similar leap, only into greatness.

He obviously needs work, which is fine. I think they will get a real nice rotation when Jones comes back too...jones was playing well and harrison is still 36 and we dont play the ravens every week. The rotation at LB and the DL could end up being pretty nasty

Big T
11-03-2014, 12:50 PM
@Ken_Laird: RT @RapSheet: Doesn't sound like the injury for #Steelers LB Ryan Shazier is a serious one. Just a twisted ankle was how it was described. Minor.

TarlsQtr
11-03-2014, 12:58 PM

During the game thread last night, I mentioned the same thing. Vince has played very well the last few weeks.

TarlsQtr
11-03-2014, 01:06 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Do we have a safety on the practice squad? Or do we go and sign one off the street?

We should be OK, if a little thin. We signed Ross Ventrone off the PS, so I do not believe there is another safety there. Will Allen and Mitchell start. That leaves Robert Golden in reserve and I know Ventrone has been injured but I do not think it is anything serious and perhaps he could be back this week. In a pinch, you throw a CB back there.

NeilPatrickBanana
11-03-2014, 01:38 PM
During the game thread last night, I mentioned the same thing. Vince has played very well the last few weeks.

I really disliked Vince's play last year, but the reality is that Vince at the Buck, pushing Timmons back to the Mack is our best combo.

Unfortunately right now, we have 3 ILBs who are all best suited to Mack. I like having 2 Mack-ish LBers on the field in today's game, but we still need that early down, 1st half, gap thumper in our base package, and Vince is the one getting the job done.

In an ideal world, he plays more in the 1st half as offenses remain balanced... we build the lead, make the opponent more 1 dimensional, and thus deploy the nickel/hybrid fronts with 2 coverage style LBers.

JackLambert
11-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Man, I said this off-season that I was fine with Vince Williams starting and people insulted my mother. :)

K Train
11-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Man, I said this off-season that I was fine with Vince Williams starting and people insulted my mother. :)

Theres was no reason to be ok with Vince Williams as a starter based on what vince williams showed last year

NeilPatrickBanana
11-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Theres was no reason to be ok with Vince Williams as a starter based on what vince williams showed last year

agreed

WindyCityShaker
11-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Im fine with it....I believe he will be an impact player, but for now Vince Williams is playing shockingly good football.

This, making some big plays in big situations.

WindyCityShaker
11-03-2014, 03:01 PM
We should be OK, if a little thin. We signed Ross Ventrone off the PS, so I do not believe there is another safety there. Will Allen and Mitchell start. That leaves Robert Golden in reserve and I know Ventrone has been injured but I do not think it is anything serious and perhaps he could be back this week. In a pinch, you throw a CB back there.

Dare we experiment with Cortez back there?

NeilPatrickBanana
11-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Dare we experiment with Cortez back there?

Absolutely not.

And I don't mean that as a knock on Allen. You don't experiment with players at positions they've never played unless you absolutely have to.

WindyCityShaker
11-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Absolutely not.

And I don't mean that as a knock on Allen. You don't experiment with players at positions they've never played unless you absolutely have to.

I understand, and obviously there's no permanent need to do so, I was just wondering if throwing some reps in on practice might not get his mind off of things a little bit, while also having him at least somewhat prepared should an epic disaster happen at both safety positions.

TarlsQtr
11-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Absolutely not.

Agreed. It has to be a situation where you just do not have the bodies, such as in Dallas a couple of years back (one of the games Ben stunk it up after he came back from injury). We were practically taking people out of the stands to play safety in that game. If I remember, it was Robert Golden's first significant playing time.

ChucktownSteeler
11-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Ventrone is out as well.

JackLambert
11-03-2014, 05:10 PM

Guys do actually get better. He was forced into a situation last year he likely wasn't ready for. He's probably not the long term answer but I wanted them to go CB in the 1st and not LB. Speaking of which, I'm pulling for Shaz as much as anyone, but I still think we drafted the wrong LB. Hopefully he gets healthy and starts tearing it up.

K Train
11-03-2014, 05:13 PM
I know, which is why im pleasantly surprised.

Fuller looks like a stud, but he went the pick before the steelers and Dennard has played a whopping 7% of the bengals snaps....so who knows. I still think shaziers talent is off the charts, maybe hes not ready but i think hes going to be awesome.

Mosely wasnt all that last night, he got the keuchly treatment from pouncey and co. :-)

harpo
11-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Mosely wasnt all that last night, he got the keuchly treatment from pouncey and co. :-)

He couldn't stay with Bell in coverage, either.....

K Train
11-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Well thats because bell has some of the nastiest moves and the sweetest feet

harpo
11-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Well thats because bell has some of the nastiest moves and the sweetest feet

No argument from me.....lol.

harpo
11-03-2014, 06:15 PM
It's being reported that the Steelers are bringing in Safety Jordan Dangerfield for a workout.

Looking for a link now......

*EDIT*

Link is below:

Steelers to bring in Jordan Dangerfield for a workout (http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/report_steelers_bring_s_jordan_dangerfield_in_for_ a_workout/17630618)

K Train
11-03-2014, 06:15 PM
The TC hero himself

ChucktownSteeler
11-03-2014, 06:19 PM
It's being reported that the Steelers are bringing in Safety Jordan Dangerfield for a workout.

Looking for a link now.....

I bet he gets no respect. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Another TC hero in the mold of Justin Brown.

Dean Denton
11-04-2014, 01:57 PM
I just saw on the ESPN reader board that Troy (knee) Shazier (ankle) will be out Sunday. Anyone know the extent of these injuries? Any word on Jarvis?

Vincent
11-04-2014, 02:13 PM
I just saw on the ESPN reader board that Troy (knee) Shazier (ankle) will be out Sunday. Anyone know the extent of these injuries? Any word on Jarvis?

I wouldn't be in a rush to bring them back. Next 3 weeks are the easiest of the remainder of the season (Jets, Tenn, bye). Make sure they're healthy for the last 5 games.

I wouldn't be in a rush to bring Jones back either. I certainly don't want to see Harrison on the sidelines.

Dean Denton
11-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Do we know how bad they're hurt?

steelchamp204
11-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Shazier will probably be 2 weeks, Troy 2-3 weeks.

Im really bummed out on Shazier. This guy is missing so many reps due to bad luck. I know he is young and has time in his career, but he is so damn unlucky it seems.

Big T
11-05-2014, 11:53 AM

Im really bummed out on Shazier. This guy is missing so many reps due to bad luck. I know he is young and has time in his career, but he is so damn unlucky it seems.

Another case of friendly fire, which seems to be happening a lot to is this year. I think it was Mitchell.

TarlsQtr
11-05-2014, 01:48 PM

I have to say though, I think we may be better off with Vince Williams this week anyway. They should try to run.