PDA

View Full Version : Trying vs. Going Through the Motions?

Forged in Steel
10-27-2014, 05:25 AM
Do you guys get the feeling that when the Steelers play bad opponents they go through the motions and believe they have the game won before it even begins, and then lose or come close? When they play a quality opponent they actually try and put a good effort in to win and then go through the motions when they have a big enough lead?

Blitzburghpete
10-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Yes ! I agree. Well they did that for the first part of the season ie played like they just had to turn up. Went they had to knuckle down they play well.

TarlsQtr
10-27-2014, 09:28 AM
There is absolutely NO evidence that this team had "gone through the motions" at any time this year. They have always played hard. Because of youth, inexperience, injuries, etc., they have played poorly at times and reasonably well others. Last night was a high point. There will be other lows and more growing pains, especially with the defense.

Steeltrap
10-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Well, they'll be no "going thru the motions" this week. And no lack of emotion whatsoever. The hated ones are coming to our house. All hands on deck! And Jimmy Smith was carted off the field for the Ravens so he won't be around to stick AB.

That gives us a nice edge on offense. We should be able to get something done in the air against the Ravens for sure now.

Nolrog
10-27-2014, 09:51 AM
There is absolutely NO evidence that this team had "gone through the motions" at any time this year. They have always played hard. Because of youth, inexperience, injuries, etc., they have played poorly at times and reasonably well others. Last night was a high point. There will be other lows and more growing pains, especially with the defense.

The Steelers have a bad habbit of playing down to the level of their opponents (Cleveland, Jacksonville, Tampa) and losing games they shouldn't. I don't know if that's going thru the motions or not playing consistent enough, but this is not a rare occurrence for a Tomlin team.

Steeltrap
10-27-2014, 10:02 AM
unfortunately..your right. But we shouldn't have that problem this week.

TarlsQtr
10-27-2014, 10:29 AM
The Steelers have a bad habbit of playing down to the level of their opponents (Cleveland, Jacksonville, Tampa) and losing games they shouldn't. I don't know if that's going thru the motions or not playing consistent enough, but this is not a rare occurrence for a Tomlin team.

Their problem has been not being good enough.

WindyCityShaker
10-27-2014, 11:23 AM
I think it's both honestly. I agree it's a matter of not executing (not being good enough) but wouldn't you say that it seems to be a more prevalent problem against teams it seems we should have more of an advantage over? I'm confident that if we played the same game we did against the Browns or Tampa against the Colts yesterday we'd have been blown out...........so why does the execution (not effort as some would claim) seem to be higher against tougher opponents? My personal feeling is that once they make a mistake, and then another, they start to press and it's all downhill from there...........there's more panic and less focus. Hell I don't know.