PDA

View Full Version : FA preparation is in full swing

BlitzburghRockCity
02-15-2007, 09:45 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/74062/

Thursday, February 15, 2007

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Steelers scouts and coaches will start their final preparation for free agency today and will meet for the next few weeks on the different positions they have targeted as they prepare for the start of free agency on March 2.

"We will look at what is going to be available and compare it to what you have and see if there is some way we can upgrade through an exchange of players or a combination of players," said director of football operations Kevin Colbert. "Those are the things we will be doing along with the draft and cap all mixed in together.

"This thing will evolve and change over the next four weeks. No one knows where it goes. Once you start talking to a player, and realize you want him, but you need more cap room to afford that player. How do you get that cap room? That might dictate your decision."

For the past two weeks the assistant coaches have been evaluating players that the scouts assigned to them and the meetings give them a chance to share their opinions of the players.

"It's somewhat the same as with college meetings," said Colbert. "Our scouts scouted players throughout the season. They make recommendations to the coaches. The coaches are asked to make evaluations. Then we will sit down collectively and come up with our free agency list.

"It's a little different than college in that there are certain positions we don't look at because we feel we are okay at that position or we can't help ourselves through free agency or because of the cap. That is the only difference between that and the college meetings."

The Steelers find themselves in relatively good shape going into free agency. They don't have any starters who are unrestricted free agents and right tackle Max Starks is the only starter who is a restricted free agent.

Even though they are in good shape, they know they still have to upgrade their roster, especially after the disappointing season last year.

"We need to continue to build our depth" said Colbert. "Being that we were 8-8 we need to be better than we were last year. Our percentage of players under contract is high so how do you do that? You have to add from the bottom up and that's how we will do it with the draft and free agency.

"For us to think we can stand pat and be better than that would be na´ve on our part."

The Steelers can negotiate only with their own players who are going to become unrestricted free agents, and Colbert said they are starting into the process of feeling that out, although he would not identify what players, if any, they have actually already contacted. They will continue to use free agency as they have in the past, always looking to upgrade.

"It's almost the same as in previous years," said Colbert. "We will be tight to the cap. You can always have the ability to be a player in free agency. To what degree will be determined by pluses and minuses from your own roster."

BlitzburghRockCity
02-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Our percentage of players under contract is indeed high, for this year, so I hope we use this time to get some of our guys who are due to hit the market in 2008, under contract now.

BB2W
02-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Our percentage of players under contract is indeed high, for this year, so I hope we use this time to get some of our guys who are due to hit the market in 2008, under contract now.I agree with signing the "men" (as coach would say) sceduled to hit free agency in 2008.

We haven't made a spalsh in the free agency market since they signed Deuce... and that was more like a ripple.

House of Steel
02-15-2007, 10:32 PM
They need to get Troy's contract extended immediately, that is my main concern. He just joined an Orthodox Church and Got remarried in Pittsburgh, that tells me he plans on staying here no matter what. He is a humble man. Glad he is a Steeler.

BBG7
02-15-2007, 10:37 PM
I want Troy signed for sure. He is a huge part of our D and I think he is one guy we can't afford to lose.

SteelCityMan786
02-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Our percentage of players under contract is indeed high, for this year, so I hope we use this time to get some of our guys who are due to hit the market in 2008, under contract now.

I agree. We need to get some of our 2008 Contract guys under contract now. It will save some of our time next year trying to fill positions.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-17-2007, 04:32 PM
From the time the season is over till the time FA starts on March 1. That's not enough time to resign all the guys so assuming we follow suit in previous years we should start to see players being talks with extentions more towards spring and then closer to camp.

SteelCityMan786
02-17-2007, 05:56 PM
I could see Troy being contract number 1. That's for sure.

K Train
02-17-2007, 09:49 PM
How long do we have hampton for? hes the foundation of the defense and we dont want to lose him as much as we dont wanna lose troy. It would absolutly kill me to see troy play for someone else....it would kill me, i want troy and smith to play together for years to come.

Iron City South
02-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Something that must be said:

Sign Polamalu for the RIGHT PRICE only. I don't think the Steelers should break the bank on this guy. While I am a TP fan, I think he has a lot of work to do in terms of fundamental tackling. I'll give him all the props in the world when talking instinctiveness, however his tackling, or lack thereof, is well below average and not among the league's elite in terms of Safeties.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Troy is a must for this team if you ask me. The Steelers will never overpay for anyone but when it comes to a player like Troy, they will offer more than what Troy would probably want to stick around.

The dude does it all and does it all well. Before the 2006 season Troy was unstoppable, then he had the knee injury and the concussion, and the entire team sucked. This dude is an absolute gotta have, must need for us. I'll take him over any safety in the league.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-18-2007, 01:08 PM
How long do we have hampton for? hes the foundation of the defense and we dont want to lose him as much as we dont wanna lose troy. It would absolutly kill me to see troy play for someone else....it would kill me, i want troy and smith to play together for years to come.

The Steelers just resigned Big Casey before the 2005 season started. But Casey is hitting 30 and I remember when Joel Steed the Steelers Pro Bowl NT in the mid/late 90's when he hit 30 he started to decline. Its all the wear and tear that 3-4 NT go through. I'm not saying Casey will decline but its something to keep an eye on.

BlackGold4vr
02-18-2007, 01:58 PM
26 -32........Those seem to really be the prime years of NFL players. Seasoned with experience and physical skills haven't yet started to diminish. Players who can still play at the top level who are in their late 30's are a rarity. Bruce Smith comes to mind. He was a freak! Nothing is more painful than seeing one of your teams icons refuse to face the facts that their skills are diminished and leave to play somewhere else. Franco Harris to Seattle. Emmett Smith to Arizona. Jerry Rice to Denver........oops (He got cut in training camp and didn't make the team!) embarassing!

:rofl:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-18-2007, 02:05 PM
That's one thing that Im so glad we never have to worry about; the Steelers picking up some aging veteran just because of what he did years ago no matter what his name is. If he can't contribute now on the same level he did 5 years ago then just keep on walking...