PDA

View Full Version : After a cool down period...

jpele
09-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Our offense will be scary good when they learn to play a full game. Wheaton playing opposite Brown should put up some big numbers , they can't double both.

The Oline is coming along and Bell is a monster.

The D as I expected is a work in progress and should get better as the weeks go on. I was a big Ike Taylor supporter , now all I can say is we're stuck with him at least this year.

Cam Thomas has no business being on the field. JMO! They have to put McCullers in on a rotation , he may not be ready but still occupies two men . Our run D sucks .

Every team in the league knows our defense, the only people it confuses are the guys trying to learn it.

Brad Wing was a pleasant surprise, lets hope he can keep up the good work.

The whole team needs to learn some dicipline , some of the mistakes made were outright stupid, " i'm speaking to you AB " I really love the guy but it seems he has a bad habit of WTF moments.

Feel free to chastise me or add your own thoughts.

K Train
09-08-2014, 04:55 PM
I dont really think the hurdle was a WTF moment....brown has had his fair share of those moments, but i would not consider that one of them. Punter got in dangers way, didnt seem like unneccesary roughness to me

Stone
09-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Our run D won't be that bad as it will also gel in time. My biggest concern is that they seemed to relax and they were gassed!

ChucktownSteeler
09-08-2014, 05:04 PM
I think the penalty was rediculous on Brown. However he could have walked in if he cut left. I think Billy Sims did the same thing against the Oilers years ago and didn't draw a flag. We now live in Goodell's flag football league now.

ChucktownSteeler
09-08-2014, 05:05 PM
And Wheaton already is a better receiver than Manny Sanders.

ChucktownSteeler
09-08-2014, 05:06 PM
I would replace Ike with Gay. Sorry, Ike has no business on an NFL roster.

Stone
09-08-2014, 05:10 PM

+1 +1

NeilPatrickBanana
09-08-2014, 05:12 PM

Gay is a good slot cover corner. Everytime he's been loved outside as a starter he's failed (Pitt and Ari).

Considering how much we play sub package/nickel... The suggestion is silly.

ChucktownSteeler
09-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Gay is a good slot cover corner. Everytime he's been loved outside as a starter he's failed (Pitt and Ari).

Considering how much we play sub package/nickel... The suggestion is silly.

I don't think it is as silly as you think. Ike is done, nothing in the tank. I am not saying I want Gay there long term, but every team we play here on out will target Ike. A liability of epic proportions. Not only that he can't catch and is good for at least one 15-yarder every game. Put Gay in there until another viable option arises. Maybe Blake can step up. I'd rather see Harvey Clayton at this point in time than Ike.

Vincent
09-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Bell is a monster.

Bell looked awesome. I think he's already broken through more tackles than Mendenhall did in his whole 5yrs.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-08-2014, 06:20 PM
I don't think it is as silly as you think. Ike is done, nothing in the tank. I am not saying I want Gay there long term, but every team we play here on out will target Ike. A liability of epic proportions. Not only that he can't catch and is good for at least one 15-yarder every game. Put Gay in there until another viable option arises. Maybe Blake can step up. I'd rather see Harvey Clayton at this point in time than Ike.

I don't think you really understand how our defense is designed to work

JackLambert
09-08-2014, 06:36 PM

I don't think the design is to have Ike get repeatedly beaten like a redheaded stepchild.

ChucktownSteeler
09-08-2014, 06:38 PM

I don't think you understand that Ike is done and Gay would do a better job. I remember a year we took a strong safety and converted him to a CB as it was required.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-08-2014, 06:42 PM
I don't think judging CB play before viewing the all 22 tape released on Wednesday is prudent for those who understand football and want to judge the play by play

Regardless... With no pass rush/pressure... Our secondary will get beat up regardless of who is in coverage.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-08-2014, 06:47 PM
I don't think the design is to have Ike get repeatedly beaten like a redheaded stepchild.

Correct the design is to :

1. force the ball out quickly and have the corner make the short gain tackle

2. Provide the pressure to force mistakes

No pressure = no coverage

It starts up front.

We can argue about the scheme and how it's past it's day. That's fine. But the issues yesterday ALL start up front

Big T
09-08-2014, 07:00 PM

It starts up front.

We can argue about the scheme and how it's past it's day. That's fine. But the issues yesterday ALL start up front

This...

TarlsQtr
09-08-2014, 07:12 PM

It starts up front.

This again.

KevinE
09-08-2014, 07:31 PM
I loved the game and have no problems with Hoyer bringing them back. He's a good kid and the browns may of finally settled who the starter is debate.

Speeed
09-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Every team in the league knows our defense, the only people it confuses are the guys trying to learn it.

:) x 10

steelchamp204
09-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Ike has slowed down, and still can't catch. Nothing the front 7 can do to help his speed or his boulder hands.

It's only week 1, I think this defense will get better as the season goes on.

I repeatedly said lets give the offensive line 8 weeks to gel after Pouncey got hurt and we all saw that line come together. Lets give this defense about 5 weeks to gel, we have a new S and a rookie starting at ILB along with 2 scrub DL.

I think by week 5 we see more of McCullers and Tuitt more than Thomas and McClendon.

KevinE
09-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Better believe Flacco and company will be running a ton of hurry up spreading us out. This is kinda a must win for them 2 weeks into the season IMO.

SuperSteelers
09-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Funny how everyone was clamoring for a younger faster defense but when they get what they wanted they get impatient when things don't develop and gel fast enough. There is going to be a learning curve with these guys so please be patient in the mean time and accept the ups and downs week in and week out. It's part of the maturing process.

Blitzburghpete
09-09-2014, 05:57 AM

It starts up front.

Agreed... and IMO the weakest part of our Dee IS the D line. Mcullers and Tuiit can't play any worse than what we have so lets give them a go.

Blitzburghpete
09-09-2014, 05:59 AM
Funny how everyone was clamoring for a younger faster defense but when they get what they wanted they get impatient when things don't develop and gel fast enough. There is going to be a learning curve with these guys so please be patient in the mean time and accept the ups and downs week in and week out. It's part of the maturing process.

Agreed also but while we wait.. and this wait has been 2 to 3 years now, we continually mange to be an average team ( 8-8)

The offence has managed to transform into a fearsome unit... it's about time the defence got back to being fearsome too.

SuperSteelers
09-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Agreed also but while we wait.. and this wait has been 2 to 3 years now, we continually mange to be an average team ( 8-8)

The offence has managed to transform into a fearsome unit... it's about time the defence got back to being fearsome too.

Different players 2 to 3 years ago. The defense has gotten younger since then. The offense will need to carry this team for awhile. The defense has been carrying the offense for many years when they made those runs to the the Superbowl.

Patience young padawan.

Blitzburghpete
09-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Different players 2 to 3 years ago. The defense has gotten younger since then. The offense will need to carry this team for awhile. The defense has been carrying the offense for many years when they made those runs to the the Superbowl.

Patience young padawan.

LOl .. i'm a steeler fan.. i want a fearsome defence before anything else :)

I'll make do with an explosive offence and a HOF QB, awsome RB, and scary speed out wide for now :)