PDA

View Full Version : Top10 Black and Gold Linebackers of All Time

aaronsmith91
09-05-2014, 02:47 AM
Given the James Harrison Retirement, I thought it would be fun to make a top 10 all time Pittsburgh Steeler's Linebacking List! Now can't say I have watched detail tape on all these people (Hard to find Jack Ham Footage these days) but I have watched and read enough about said Linebackers that my list will have a least a marginal amount of validity.

It goes something like this:

10.) Levon Kirkland - I dunno; him, Russel, Chad Brown, Lawrence Timmons perhaps? Maybe even Lamar Woodely???
9.) Mike Merriweather - 3 All-Pros in three consecutive years during the 80's
8.) Kevin Greene - Dude was nails but only produced three years in the burgh so I would feel weird putting him higher
7.) Jason Gildon - Sack Leader of the Franchise
6.) James Farrior - Anchored the 00's era, Captain of the D, Two All-Pros, Two Super Bowl Rings on two excellent defenses
5.) Greg Lloyd - 3 All-Pros, 1 AFC Dman Player of the year, major intimidation factor
4.) Joey Porter - Emotional Leader, 3 All-Pros, One of Few with 90 sacks and 10 picks, Best year was actually in Miami when he rang 17.5 dangers on the QB
3.) James Harrison - This Might be high but hear me out. 2nd all time on the franchise sack list, Only other Player on this list besides Lambert with a Defensive MVP Award. 5 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pros, Won 2 Rings, made a huge play in the 2nd one and talk about intimidation.
2.) Jack Ham - Hall of Famer, Eight Pro Bowl, 6 All-Pro, 32 picks, dude seems legit
1.) Jack Lambert - Seems Like a No Brainer

There you have it. Let me know what you think and let's see yours!

Rollers
09-05-2014, 08:45 AM
good list. Best all time best name for a linebacker on the Steelers? Myron Pottios. Pretty good player for a few years

TarlsQtr
09-05-2014, 09:22 AM
A HUGE omission is Andy Russell. The guy was awesome before Lambert/Ham and made the pro bowl 7 times.

And most old school Steeler fans say that Ham > Lambert. Lambert had the persona but Ham was the better LB. I watched both but as a kid, so I am not going to split too many hairs between those two.

Blitzburghpete
09-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Have to say i think you nailed it with the list in the OP. I might have put Farrior higher, and Porter lower perhaps.

Good to see Merryweather on the list.

Was Robin Cole ( ILB ) any good for his time ?

TarlsQtr
09-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Have to say i think you nailed it with the list in the OP. I might have put Farrior higher, and Porter lower perhaps.

Good to see Merryweather on the list.

Was Robin Cole ( ILB ) any good for his time ?

Cole was very good and merits consideration. I will say it again, Russell being left off is a crime. I think Farrior is on the list mainly because most people remember him. He was good but we have had 10+ better linebackers.

aaronsmith91
09-05-2014, 02:24 PM
A HUGE omission is Andy Russell. The guy was awesome before Lambert/Ham and made the pro bowl 7 times.

And most old school Steeler fans say that Ham > Lambert. Lambert had the persona but Ham was the better LB. I watched both but as a kid, so I am not going to split too many hairs between those two.

Yeah the omission of Russell is bad (it was late and I didnt google search him). I kinda thought he was a product of a great defense but looking at it this morning he was nails. I'll slot him in 6th or 7th and punt Kirkland off the list.

I was tempted to put Ham as number 1 but Lambert resume is better and he is still the face and benchmark upon which steeler linebackers are judged.

TarlsQtr
09-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Not a problem. All lists like these suffer from a modernity bias. I would say Montana/Marino/Peyton/Brady were the best QBs, while my grandfather would have laughed and said only "Unitas." It is difficult to know or accurately judge someone you have not seen. I only saw Lambert/Russell/Ham at their best as a very young kid, so I know they were all great but judging who was "best" was a little over my head at 5. ;-)

FlatsSteeler
09-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Decent List for post 70's Steeler Linebackers......the order like any list is very subjective......Ham should be ahead of Lambert, he was the leader of the linebackers during the dynasty era.....Russell MUST be on the list and in the top 6......Myron Pottios defiantly belongs in top 8......George Tarasovic, John Regar in the late 50's early 60's should also be mentioned......Pottios was the Prototype of the modern MLB.....well pre Goodall NFL anyway.......

FlatsSteeler
09-05-2014, 03:38 PM
As for best QB's......way to subjective......I have watched the NFL since the mid 50's.....to me the best QB of all time for his era was.........Dan Marino.......I know he never won a SB and that is why....look at his numbers while playing for mediocre teams......the Best money QB in the big game was Terry Bradshaw the man just showed up for the Big Games....99% of you never actually watched Bradshaw play.....he was a different guy in the big ones......he never had great numbers he just led the Team.......Montana was a system QB as is Brady......Peyton needs to win some more Big a Games to take over the top rating.....As for Johnny U.......in his time he great but sheer talent in that era nobody tops Otto Graham......

K Train
09-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Decent List for post 70's Steeler Linebackers......the order like any list is very subjective......Ham should be ahead of Lambert, he was the leader of the linebackers during the dynasty era.....Russell MUST be on the list and in the top 6......Myron Pottios defiantly belongs in top 8......George Tarasovic, John Regar in the late 50's early 60's should also be mentioned......Pottios was the Prototype of the modern MLB.....well pre Goodall NFL anyway.......

Modern era linebackers are allowed on the list too

FlatsSteeler
09-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Modern era linebackers are allowed on the list too

Who said they weren't?.....I just added a broader prospective........there was life before 1990......

Jb500ex
09-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Don't forget hardy nickerson

aaronsmith91
09-07-2014, 03:01 AM
Alright so I have clearly not done an extensive enough search or have the knowledge past 1990; which is true. But let's streamline this a bit. When I originally created this thread I was thinking about where James Harrison Ranks all-time in Steeler Linebackers. Is he top 5? I have him at 3, is he the third greatest steeler linebacker of all time? What's your top 5?

Rollers
09-07-2014, 06:37 AM
Well here's mine
1. Lambert
2. Ham
3. Russell
4. Lloyd
5. Harrison

But there's no right or wrong answer on this I don't believe. The Steelers have always been pretty deep at linebacker. Kevin Greene would be next on my list because he was so disruptive rushing the passer.

Rollers
09-07-2014, 06:43 AM
well thinking some more I had to leave David Little off that list and Robin Cole and Kirkland. I don't know how you simply pick the top five. Oh yeah, Haggans, Foote, Man it never ends

ChucktownSteeler
09-07-2014, 10:59 AM
He wouldn't be in the top 10, but I always thought a solid linebacker was Bryan Hinkle #53.

Jb500ex
09-07-2014, 11:16 AM
He wouldn't be in the top 10, but I always thought a solid linebacker was Bryan Hinkle #53.

He was a excellent player and one of my favorites.

Jb500ex
09-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Alright so I have clearly not done an extensive enough search or have the knowledge past 1990; which is true. But let's streamline this a bit. When I originally created this thread I was thinking about where James Harrison Ranks all-time in Steeler Linebackers. Is he top 5? I have him at 3, is he the third greatest steeler linebacker of all time? What's your top 5?

I don't put Harrison top 5 we've had better linebackers, we've had a lot of great linebackers

Dallas Burgher
09-07-2014, 06:01 PM
I have two small changes. Russell over Kirkland and Ham as number one.

skyhawk
09-07-2014, 09:41 PM

I came here to say the same thing!

David Little was also pretty good in the 80's on a pretty good D.