PDA

View Full Version : A couple brights spots.....and a lot of garbage!

Stone
08-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Gradkowski looks comfortable and competent!

Our punter flat out sucks! He even has horrible form!

I know it was all vanilla defense but it was low fat vanilla. And the Eagles added the sprinkles.

Ben was targeting key receivers but still the first team O was pathetic.

I guess weed gives you energy as Bell and Blount played into the fourth qtr.

Oh.....and Ike played with great diversity.....he either got beat or flagged on nearly every play.

steelchamp204
08-21-2014, 11:44 PM
It's only preseason, just relax. This team will be a 10 win team this year. i know, call me crazy.

Main concern in Jarvis Jones and our pass rush, I think this defense will go as Jarvis Jones goes to be honest, if they pressure the QB they will be fine, if not our corners or even Seattles corners would not be able to cover receivers that long.

I think our best defense this year will be our offense, we all knew this transition was coming for the defense with young guys getting the nod and the offense would have to carry this defense as in years past vice versa. I believe Ben and this offense will control the clock this year.

coldrolled
08-22-2014, 05:32 AM
I think our best defense this year will be our offense.

That statement after last night would have us 5-11

Against teams with playoff caliber QB's ... And the Eagles could be a NFCC team. We could be 1-15...

Rollers
08-22-2014, 05:36 AM
It's only preseason, just relax. This team will be a 10 win team this year. i know, call me crazy.

Main concern in Jarvis Jones and our pass rush, I think this defense will go as Jarvis Jones goes to be honest, if they pressure the QB they will be fine, if not our corners or even Seattles corners would not be able to cover receivers that long.

I think our best defense this year will be our offense, we all knew this transition was coming for the defense with young guys getting the nod and the offense would have to carry this defense as in years past vice versa. I believe Ben and this offense will control the clock this year.

Jarvis looked horrible on pass rush. Just like last year as soon as some large offensive lineman touches him he's stoned at that point. Some here have said Jarvis will be ok. I don't think so. I think we're better off starting someone else at that position. It's sad to see a number one pick performing like that. I admit I focused on him last night in the time I watched but he was absolutely swallowed up by anyone blocking him. something isn't right there.

FlatsSteeler
08-22-2014, 08:13 AM
I have said all along this season this is a 8-8 team maybe a game either way + or _......I certainly don't anything to change my mind.......Positives I took from the debacle.......Timmons and Heyward played ok and Tuitt will be the read deal.......This will shock some but I think Pouncey played decent as well........As for Jarvis Jones I have been arguing with my brother for a year that he is a bust.....now I really am starting to believe it......This is Tomlins defining season lets see what he does......

Stone
08-22-2014, 08:27 AM
I'm not over-reacting because it is pre-season but there are a few things that transcend the season.

1. Ike was back to being a detriment, he was either beat or flagged, and that has nothing to do with the season (other than the tight foul calling going on this pre-season but he should be able to adapt.......he's been around forever)
2. Our punter will be lucky to last through week three. His form is awful!
3. Our front seven, with a couple exceptions, were fundamentally outmanned BAD, from the first snap (before they could be tired form conditioning and the Eagles tempo)
4. We have a few receivers who won't/can't go up for the ball.....can this be coached out of them?

I still pick us to win the division but only if Tomlin and his crew can do what they are paid to do.

Rollers
08-22-2014, 08:33 AM
The inability of the Steelers to find even a serviceable punter is beyond belief. Are they blind? I saw a kid kicking in a high school scrimmage Saturday. Dude was pounding the ball. Nice spirals, close to a 43 yard average etc. Yeah I get that he might not be able to do that in the pros. Why not? As long as he has blocking he'll get the kick off right? yeah it's a stupid comparison but this is just totally stupid. Maybe the guy looks like Ray Guy in practice? Find a punter.

Troyisabeast_43
08-22-2014, 09:09 AM
The inability of the Steelers to find even a serviceable punter is beyond belief. Are they blind? I saw a kid kicking in a high school scrimmage Saturday. Dude was pounding the ball. Nice spirals, close to a 43 yard average etc. Yeah I get that he might not be able to do that in the pros. Why not? As long as he has blocking he'll get the kick off right? yeah it's a stupid comparison but this is just totally stupid. Maybe the guy looks like Ray Guy in practice? Find a punter.Yea I agree from Mesko last season to McBriar who stunk as well it's inexcusable that they are not able to find a punter who is capable of kicking the damn ball. I dont expect Wing to make the team because I still think the Steelers are counting on Adam Podlesh to come back from his family problems with his wife's pregnancy and be the teams main punter. But Im with you that it's quite disturbing how this is becoming a big problem now time and time again every single freakin season.

K Train
08-22-2014, 09:27 AM
You cant really get an effective pass rush when the ball is coming out SO QUICK.

Worilds did look pretty good going againt (who i am assuming is Lane Johnson even though hes suspended)

You cant play vanilla defense against chip kelley though, he was going full throttle

coldrolled
08-22-2014, 09:57 AM
I'm not over-reacting because it is pre-season but there are a few things that transcend the season.

1. Ike was back to being a detriment, he was either beat or flagged, and that has nothing to do with the season (other than the tight foul calling going on this pre-season but he should be able to adapt.......he's been around forever)
2. Our punter will be lucky to last through week three. His form is awful!
3. Our front seven, with a couple exceptions, were fundamentally outmanned BAD, from the first snap (before they could be tired form conditioning and the Eagles tempo)
4. We have a few receivers who won't/can't go up for the ball.....can this be coached out of them?

I still pick us to win the division but only if Tomlin and his crew can do what they are paid to do.

Where is Ben on your hit list???

He played like this last year game one and two. he was missing players all over the field. high,low, long, short.... is bell stashing his bag in ben's locker?

LatrobePA
08-22-2014, 10:15 AM

He played like this last year game one and two. he was missing players all over the field. high,low, long, short.... is bell stashing his bag in ben's locker?

Ben was the problem for the most part!

TarlsQtr
08-22-2014, 10:24 AM

For me, after sleeping on it, the offense is even more worrisome.

Our D had a lot of rookies and youth, not to mention people playing new positions, playing against an offense that does not give you time to think about assignments. Coupled with the fact that the refs are calling everything, huge advantage Chip Kelly.

Ben and the receivers had zero chemistry. To the degree that Ben was at fault, no worries. He will be fine.

I just hope I have not over-estimated the receiving group.

K Train
08-22-2014, 10:35 AM

Our D had a lot of rookies and youth, not to mention people playing new positions, playing against an offense that does not give you time to think about assignments. Coupled with the fact that the refs are calling everything, huge advantage Chip Kelly.

Ben and the receivers had zero chemistry. To the degree that Ben was at fault, no worries. He will be fine.

I think brown and wheaton look pretty good. They didnt do much down field, it was a lot of screens but that portrays this dink and dunk offense, they are built to attack down field.

Oline had a rough night run blocking. They need to get more creative with Archer, overall though i dont think the offense is a concern. Did moore even play? i dont even know what number he wears

steelchamp204
08-22-2014, 10:39 AM
I think brown and wheaton look pretty good. They didnt do much down field, it was a lot of screens but that portrays this dink and dunk offense, they are built to attack down field.

Oline had a rough night run blocking. They need to get more creative with Archer, overall though i dont think the offense is a concern. Did moore even play? i dont even know what number he wears

Moore didn't play for undisclosed reasons.

coldrolled
08-22-2014, 10:40 AM

15 brown was out there often.. unremarkable. he may need to goto ps with moye ... keep bryant and bey

K Train
08-22-2014, 10:43 AM
Justin brown is hands down the biggest disappointment of the preseason. No separation, worthless blocker....just cut him. I never buy into TC heros and even i was in on this one.

Heyward Bey will make the team, Bryant will make it and not dress for any games...he is exactly what i thought he was, not even close to ready

Stone
08-22-2014, 10:47 AM

Well....I stated that he was trying to target key receivers but also, I simply am not worried about Ben.

JackLambert
08-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Justin brown is hands down the biggest disappointment of the preseason. No separation, worthless blocker....just cut him. I never buy into TC heros and even i was in on this one.

Heyward Bey will make the team, Bryant will make it and not dress for any games...he is exactly what i thought he was, not even close to ready

I'm with you. The hype machine has gone way overboard with Brown.

Troyisabeast_43
08-22-2014, 11:10 AM
I agree even though Heyward Bey is not a world beater by any means he has definitely shown enough to be kept around as the 4th or 5th receiver with Brown,Wheaton,Moore,and Bryant.

K Train
08-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Not even sure Moore is a lock for playing time....havent heard much about him

steelchamp204
08-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Not even sure Moore is a lock for playing time....havent heard much about him

He was a scratch for undisclosed reasons, but even when he has played. Nothing amazing. Im hoping these past two draft classes pan out that way we can get Ben his big guy next year and a very solid corner early. The way it looks so far, we will be drafting a NT in the first lmfao

K Train
08-22-2014, 11:23 AM
I would feel completely comfortable with Archer/DHB as the #3 depending on the situation

ChucktownSteeler
08-23-2014, 06:17 PM
After watching I think DHB has a legitimate shot of making the roster.

NeilPatrickBanana
08-23-2014, 08:19 PM

I'm concerned with Wheaton from a "complete playbook" perspective... I think DHB could end up playing a bigger role than many think.

NeilPatrickBanana
08-23-2014, 08:21 PM
After watching I think DHB has a legitimate shot of making the roster.

I can't imagine any scenario where DHB doesn't make the team... His route experience, true separation, and special teams versatility makes him a lock in my mind.

ChucktownSteeler
08-24-2014, 08:38 AM
I can't imagine any scenario where DHB doesn't make the team... His route experience, true separation, and special teams versatility makes him a lock in my mind.

I agree, this guy (DHB) could end up playing a larger role than most think. Too bad he signed for only 1 year. He looked decent late against the Eagles.

Bryant has a long way to go. Much like Limas Sweed, Bryant is a cradleler, meaning he lets the ball come to him and cradle catches it with his hands and chest. That really negates his height advantage against the D-backs. For him to be successful in the NFL he needs to jump and catch the ball with his hands at the highest apex. His technique needs to improve 10-fold. I see him on the PS.

coldrolled
08-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Bryant will not be on the PS.

Big T
08-24-2014, 11:31 AM
No chance Bryant isn't on the 53. He may not dress, but he wouldn't last on the PS.

ChucktownSteeler
08-24-2014, 12:15 PM
No chance Bryant isn't on the 53. He may not dress, but he wouldn't last on the PS.

It's possible, but I am not not sure he either doesn't dress or is on the PS. Bryant is not ready for prime time and I believe DHB can contribute in the red zone, with his speed, and on special teams.

TarlsQtr
08-24-2014, 12:24 PM
It's possible, but I am not not sure he either doesn't dress or is on the PS. Bryant is not ready for prime time and I believe DHB can contribute in the red zone, with his speed, and on special teams.

He would not even come close to making our PS. About 25 other teams would be lining up to claim him.

FlatsSteeler
08-24-2014, 12:31 PM
I like DHB as well......I too feel he will play a role in the Steeler "O" this year.......Bryant also needs to make the 53 and I am sure he will......If he had stayed in college he would have been a top 15 pick next yr......

ChucktownSteeler
08-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Bryant is no way ready to play, let alone start. His technique is horrid, reminiscent of Limas Sweed. Both are "cradilers" which really negates their height advantage. It hands sure seemed poor against the Eagles.

Rocky#20
08-24-2014, 02:45 PM
As far as the run defense goes, I don't think I and other fans truly appreciated the job that Casey Hampton did plugging up the middle for a decade. Since he left the dropoff has been huge.

ChucktownSteeler
08-24-2014, 02:50 PM
We are still missing Aron Smith as well.

Stone
08-24-2014, 07:00 PM
As far as the run defense goes, I don't think I and other fans truly appreciated the job that Casey Hampton did plugging up the middle for a decade. Since he left the dropoff has been huge.

We are still missing Aron Smith as well.

Yep and yep! Isn't it funny how the Steelers get the very best from aging guys to the point that they are missed after they go?

steelchamp204
08-24-2014, 11:45 PM
Yep and yep! Isn't it funny how the Steelers get the very best from aging guys to the point that they are missed after they go?

It was tough watching snack his last two years, lets be honest. But yes, in his prime years, he was the best along with wilfork.

FlatsSteeler
08-25-2014, 06:25 AM
1st off "Staying Vanilla" is just a lame excuse for FAILURE.......This Team was totally unprepared, motivated, or as usual Nonadjustable.....If it was so called Vanilla the starters wouldn't have stayed well into the 3rd period, while Matt Barkley drove the 3rd team Eagles down their Throats, never mind Dirty Sanchez making them look like Practice Squad players......Most High School coaches can now game plan against a DLB Defense and the Hurry up Spread will be used against them all season knowing that the Steelers wont adjust due to DLB's arrogance......I will say the talent is not there as well although I do like some of the Rookies Shazier and Tuitt for sure they are a year away from impact playing especially in the DLB bend but dont break defense of the 90's......I have stated fore some time this is going to be another season of 8-8 give or take a game......one of the changes needed is to replace DLB Now, I respect the guy and always have but it is time for that Full Golf Membership......AS for the Offense BR7 will get it going, but I am not sure the O Line is really capable, Beachum is decent as a Backup Guard but he is no LT and was Manhandled by the Eagles, Adams should be cut he is truly a bust( I have always supported him but...)BUST......Dumb and Dumber will be ok...just ok....Archer can be a factor.....On a side note and it is well known I dont like Pouncey....He played a good game against the Eagles and looked Game Day Ready......As for HC Tomlin he looks like he put on a few pounds but still had that "Deer in the Headlight "look during the game......"Obviously" he is a entertaining HC....."Obviously".....

Steeltrap
08-25-2014, 09:04 AM
I too am now feeling that DLB defenses are old and the offenses around the league have figured him out long ago. He does not make " in game" adjustments. He will stick to a specific game plan the whole game,even when it's clear that his game plan is failing. Which is at least fifty percent of the time. And I'm being kind. DLB is holding this team back now. He's a liability.

ChucktownSteeler
08-25-2014, 11:30 AM
It's tough to sack the QB or even put heat on him when your DBs are 10-15 yards of the line of scrimmage. As soon as the QB feels some heat it is a simple game of pitch and catch. I am surprised we get any sacks, truth be told.

coldrolled
08-25-2014, 12:00 PM
It's tough to sack the QB or even put heat on him when your DBs are 10-15 yards of the line of scrimmage. As soon as the QB feels some heat it is a simple game of pitch and catch. I am surprised we get any sacks, truth be told.

If the QB we play has a bullet release we are dead. db's 10 yards off the los doesnt help the front 7.. The quick slant across the middle is usually not covered well either. See Brady.. Foles now.

ChucktownSteeler
08-25-2014, 05:18 PM
If the QB we play has a bullet release we are dead. db's 10 yards off the los doesnt help the front 7.. The quick slant across the middle is usually not covered well either. See Brady.. Foles now.

And the NFL is a plageristic league. Guess what?