PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Notes

Pages : [1] 2 3

TarlsQtr
07-25-2014, 10:07 AM
NOTE -- The Steelers released linebacker Kion Wilson, who started two games at inside linebacker last season after an injury to Larry Foote. They signed rookie cornerback Lew Toler of Rutgers.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/07/25/Training-camp-report-Steelers-begin-anew-today/stories/201407250121#ixzz38U8zippv

LatrobePA
07-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Hmmm, they must be sure they have their guy, let's hope so!

Big T
07-25-2014, 02:30 PM
As it turns out, the Steelers did talk contract this offseason with Ben Roethlisberger. Allow Steelers President Art Rooney II to explain.

"I met with Ben shortly before we did the Maurkice Pouncey signing (in the middle of June) just to make sure Ben understood where we were with our intentions as far as a contract extension for him," said Rooney. "I just didn't want him to feel like we were moving ahead with other players without any communication.

"And so I talked to Ben, and then we talked with his agent Ryan Tollner about where we are and the fact we intend on addressing Ben's contract situation after the season, so that we could address a number of players who were going into their last year in 2014. I think Ben understands that's our intention and the way we'd like to proceed. I think we had a good conversation."

The dialogue was initiated by the Steelers so that Roethlisberger and agent Ryan Tollner understood the team's plan with respect to this offseason's strategy for signing players, and also understood that the commitment to its franchise quarterback has not wavered.

The Steelers' philosophy is to extend contracts that have one year to go before expiration, with the exception of quarterbacks, whose deals can be extended two years before expiring. Roethlisberger's current contract runs through the 2015 season, which made him a candidate for an extension, but circumstances - including the team's current cap situation, plus the number of players entering the final years of their deals, plus the additional increase in the salary cap anticipated next March - led the team to this strategy.

"Yes, all of those things are factors in the decision," said Rooney. "The other key thing is that Ben wants to be part of a winning team, to be in a position to compete for championships, and he understands that in order to do that we need to try to keep as many of the other players around as we can. So, addressing the players who are going into the final years of their contracts in 2014 makes sense. That's what he and I talked about.

"We also talked to Ryan, just so that there was communication with him as well, so that they understood the direction in which we wanted to proceed. We wanted to make sure they were understanding that we do want to make a commitment, that we do want to address Ben's contract next year. It's not a situation where we're saying we want to put it on hold. We did assure him that next year is the time frame in which we want to address it."

The salary cap jumped by $10 million last March to a total of $130 million per team, and it is expected the cap will increase again in 2015.

"We believe the cap will go up again next year," said Rooney, "and so from a cap planning standpoint, next year will be a better situation for us to address a franchise quarterback type of contract."

http://m.steelers.com/s/30861/260?itemPos=2&itemUri=-1771147341%2F117510701261130153221015151112

LatrobePA
07-25-2014, 03:30 PM
After the season... All the talking heads are already starting their crap!

Big T
07-25-2014, 06:37 PM
@EdBouchette: Steelers place S Mike Mitchell, RAlvester Alexander on PUP with groin injuries. About 1 week, Mike Tomlin predicted

Big T
07-25-2014, 06:44 PM
@EdBouchette: Steelers G Ramon Foster given weekend off because his mother died suddenly.

KevinE
07-25-2014, 09:06 PM
@EdBouchette: Steelers G Ramon Foster given weekend off because his mother died suddenly.

Pretty awful news.

Rollers
07-26-2014, 09:05 AM
You can bet that injury isn't going to go away in a week. Pulled hamstrings, groins, they seem to be the gift that just keeps on giving. I'm hoping for a full recovery but I'm not really believing it. Colts lost a guy to an ACL Ballard I think? No one touched him. He caught a pass and went down. I'm wondering if these injuries have to do with the muscle mass these guys are developing. Let's hope there's not a rash of injuries on the Steelers.

KevinE
07-26-2014, 11:13 AM
This team deserves a year with out major injuries. Been cursed for the past few years!!

Big T
07-26-2014, 02:58 PM
@AdamSchefter: Steelers expecting big things from 1st-round pick, LB Ryan Shazier. But 2nd-rd pick, DE Stephon Tuitt, really pleased PITT this spring.

Big T
07-26-2014, 03:01 PM
@EdBouchette: Just sat down with Steelers Ben Roethlisberger. Interesting. His relationship with OC Todd Haley has reached point he calls him a "friend.''

@EdBouchette: For first time, Roethlisberger worked with a personal trainer this year. Said at 32, he felt it was time to make sure he stays in top shape

@EdBouchette: With arm strengthening drills, Ben said his arm is stronger than ever, and receivers have told him as much.

@EdBouchette: Ben says there was a misconception about his reaction to Steelers first-round draft pick. Said he was not upset they took LB, not WR...

@EdBouchette: ...He said that infamous previously unknown text he sent to his agent after they drafted Ryan Shazier was merely asking him who he was.

@EdBouchette: As for Art Rooney II telling him there will be no contract extension this year, Ben says he understands and is content with it.

@EdBouchette: Ben says the Steelers indeed plan to go with the no-huddle offense much more this year.

@EdBouchette: Roethlisberger, once suspended 4 games by NFL, on Ray Rice's 2-games: "We all know the league has its reasons for things .''

Big T
07-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey expressed disappointment that he was named in a civil lawsuit Friday in which the three plaintiffs, including two women, accused him and his twin brother, Mike, of assaulting them at a Miami Beach nightclub.

Police are investigating the incident, but no charges have been filed.

“I’m a man about everything,” Pouncey said Saturday before the team’s first practice of training camp. “You all know every time I made a mistake I admitted to it. For something like this to happen and have no involvement in it is upsetting and hurtful to me. You know it’s on my mind like crazy. Hopefully it will blow over.”

Pouncey said he has no concerns about facing discipline from the NFL for the incident.

“No fear at all,” he said. “The only thing that sucks about it is I tried to keep a clean nose throughout this process. Having to deal with this, it sucks. It truly does.”

Pouncey said he went to great lengths to avoid problems at his birthday party. He hired a former police officer to provide security for the event.

“For something like this to happen it’s truly unbelievable,” he said. “I just want to apologize to any fans that take this the wrong way. You guys all know me and the person I am. For people to say bad things it sucks. Sometimes you have to deal with that in life and move on.”

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/07/26/Crucial-Test-Coming-for-Spence/stories/201407260004

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey and Dolphins center Mike Pouncey will be fighting fire with fire. In response to the lawsuit filed against them on Friday, they’ll be exercising their right to sue the persons who have sued them.

“The allegations in the complaint about my clients are completely false,” attorney Jeffrey M. Ostrow tells PFT via email. “As I previously stated, Mike and Maurkice Pouncey had absolutely no involvement whatsoever in the alleged incident that evening and did nothing wrong. This claim is a complete sham. The plaintiffs and their lawyer are perpetuating these lies in a bid for notoriety and financial gain. We intend to defend this case through trial if necessary and will be filing a counterclaim for malicious prosecution and defamation.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/26/pounceys-will-file-counterclaim-in-response-to-complete-sham-lawsuit/

FlatsSteeler
07-26-2014, 03:30 PM
If he did knock that woman out he can take comfort in the fact that the NFL/Goodell will only sit him for 2 games......

NorCalSteel
07-26-2014, 04:53 PM
If he did knock that woman out he can take comfort in the fact that the NFL/Goodell will only sit him for 2 games......

LMAO ok that was good.

Big T
07-26-2014, 05:44 PM
@bkeisel99: I see ya 7.., I mean 99.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtfxU6PCMAAWq6D.jpg

Big T
07-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger opens up about no-huddle, contract, Ray Rice
July 26, 2014 2:50 PM
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger and Todd Haley were embroiled in a deep discussion today. The Steelers offensive coordinator talked about doing it one way and the quarterback said he would not do it at all.

“He talked to me about water skiing,” Roethlisberger said. “He said he went barefoot skiing and is still feeling the pain.”

Roethlisberger will not test his feet or knees by water skiing at age 32, but he knows all about the growing pains of working with a new offensive coordinator. Things did not go smoothly between them their first season in 2012, but that relationship advanced so far since the middle of last season that the quarterback says he now calls Haley a friend.

“Very rarely in life in general do you meet someone and hit it off and you’re best friends right away,” Roethlisberger said during a lengthy interview today. “There’s always a feeling-out period, especially when you have people who are guarded because of their profession, just who we are.

“But I think we are friends. Obviously, work is always first, but I think we’re getting along great.”

The Steelers offense should benefit from it.

At 32, Roethlisberger feels like a kid again. He has coaches who seem to finally agree to take the no-huddle offense from the back burner and make it a more important part of their game plan. He worked with a personal trainer and a nutritionist this year for the first time and has his weight down and endurance up. And he concentrated on strengthening his right arm.

“My arm is stronger than it’s been in my career, I believe. Even in [spring] practices and minicamp the receivers said, ‘Ben that ball is getting to us a lot quicker, with a lot more spin on it, it feels real good.’ That should translate into better play.”

Why now with all the offseason work?

“I felt like the time is right. That youth wears off. You start getting to 32, it’s time. As your body deteriorates, your natural talents start to go a little bit. You have to bring in physical working out, building, taking protein and doing extra stuff.

“I want this year to be my best year and if I have to do extra things I’m going to do it.”

Last season turned into a pretty good year for the quarterback, but one he could not savor because the Steelers went 2-6 in the first half and finished a second consecutive 8-8. But that 6-2 second half may have set the table for 2014, especially when it comes to running the no-huddle.

Previous coaches such as Bruce Arians talked a good game when it came to the no-huddle but for one reason or another would not commit to it. Haley did that in the second half of last season and it produced all kinds of benefits, including many fewer sacks of Roethlisberger, a better run game and more victories.

The quarterback spoke to his offensive coaches and Mike Tomlin about it after the season.

“The no-huddle was always in but it was always sitting back here on the back burner -- keep it warm for week five or six or whenever we needed it, if we needed it.

“I said, ‘Guys, the way the season ended last year, to me, our best offense is the no-huddle.’ I still understand we have to run the ball, we have to bring in three tight ends, you have to have short yardage. But when we were at our best, we were in the no-huddle.

“This needs to be an integral part of our offense, maybe not our base offense but it needs to be something that’s not just sitting on the back burner.”

The coaches bought it, then implemented it during spring practices. Ben Roethlisberger was made for the no-huddle and finally, they’re going to let him run it more often than in the two-minute drill or when they get behind.

It also had the benefit of keeping their quarterback upright for a change. He was sacked just seven times in the final seven games of 2013, the safest seven-game stretch of his career.

“When you’re in the no-huddle and converting, the defense has to back down, they can’t call their crazy stuff. That’s to your advantage as an offense. You see the Denver Broncos, the Patriots and these guys run this stuff and it’s so successful because it slows defenses down.”

Roethlisberger touched on a number of other topics during today’s interview. Among them:

• He reacted to Friday’s statement by Steelers president Art Rooney II that they would not negotiate a contract extension for him this year, but next. Traditionally, the Steelers have signed their starting quarterback to an extension while he still had two years left on his current deal, as Roethlisberger does now.

“As I put my faith and trust in them, when the time is right, we’ll get it done. Now I can just concentrate on football.”

• On what he said in a text to agent Ryan Tollner after the Steelers drafted linebacker Ryan Shazier and not a wide receiver in the first round in May.

“I asked who he was. Honestly, I never heard of him, Ryan Shazier.”

He said people wrongly assumed he was unhappy with the pick.

“It was more, ‘Give me info on this guy.’ Ryan knows about every player, pretty much. ‘What do you know?’ If he can help this team – which I’ve seen so far I think he can – I’m not at all [upset]. Right now, I think he’s going to be a big help for us. I can’t wait until we put the pads on, that will be a key, but he looks pretty good.”

• On the two-game suspension NFL commissioner Roger Goodell gave Baltimore halfback Ray Rice for knocking out his girlfriend and dragging her unconscious from an elevator, all caught on tape and duly charged by the authorities:

“I read a lot of the comments about how people are saying for drugs or marijuana you get four games and for this you don’t. We all know the league has its reasons for things and they’re the say-all. As long as they don’t cut it down to one, I guess we won’t see him.”

The Steelers play at Baltimore in the second game of the season.

First Published July 26, 2014 12:00 AM

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/07/26/Steelers-quarterback-Ben-Roethlisberger-opens-up-about-no-huddle-contract-Ray-Rice/stories/201407260139

ChucktownSteeler
07-26-2014, 07:01 PM
@bkeisel99: I see ya 7.., I mean 99.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtfxU6PCMAAWq6D.jpg

I often wondered if this was a tribute or a jab at the F.O. He did the same with Max Starks.

KemoTherapy
07-26-2014, 07:27 PM
It's surprising and not a little disappointing for a professional athlete that he's waited till this stage in his career to get a personal trainer and to take training and nutrition seriously. Maybe some of those injuries earlier in his career could have been avoided or his performances could have been even better?.

Big T
07-27-2014, 06:56 AM
• There was plenty of talk over the past three months about the speed of rookie third-round pick Dri Archer. But the question was how the Steelers were going to best use Archer within the scheme of their offense. It didn't take long for them to figure that out. Early during Saturday's first practice of training camp, the Steelers lined up with four wide receivers and put Archer in the slot to the left. The defense had to counter by sliding out inside linebacker Vince Williams on Archer — an obvious mismatch. Rookie quarterback Brendon Kay didn't identify the advantageous matchup and threw the ball to the other side of the formation to tight end Eric Waters, but it was a quick glimpse of how the Steelers plan to use Archer's versatility and speed to their advantage. Archer was busy on the first day as he broke off a couple of long runs including one where he reversed field and was also taking first-team reps on the punt return team.

• Darrius Heyward-Bey is known for dropping passes. However, that didn't stop Ben Roethlisberger from throwing a deep go pattern to the speedy free agent wide receiver during a team period. Heyward-Bey hauled in the pass for a touchdown. He also made a nice diving catch near the sidelines later during practice.

• Cameron Heyward was lined up at right defensive end, taking over the position held by Brett Keisel for nearly a decade. Heyward played left defensive end last year.

• The Steelers want to take advantage of Will Johnson's soft hands for a big man by lining him up at tight end. Johnson took a couple of snaps at his regular position of fullback, but he mostly lined up with the tight ends. The first play of the first team period had the Steelers in a two-tight end set with Johnson catching a pass from Roethlisberger for a positive gain.

• Receiver Justin Brown had a solid spring where he turned enough heads that he ran with the first team. Brown showed on the first day of camp that he wasn't a spring mirage. Brown, a second-year receiver out of Oklahoma, continued to impress with acrobatic and hard-to-make catches. At one point, Roethlisberger praised Brown after adjusting a route to make a catch.

• With Mike Mitchell nursing a hamstring and Ramon Foster mourning the death of his mother, the Steelers replaced the two in the starting lineup with Will Allen at safety and Cody Wallace at left guard.

• The second-team defense had Arthur Moats, Sean Spence, Vince Williams and Chris Carter at linebacker with William Gay at right corner and Antwon Blake at left corner.

• Rookie Jordan Zumwalt, relegated to outside linebacker during the spring, was playing inside linebacker with the third team.

http://triblive.com/mobile/6503301-96/team-archer-steelers

ChucktownSteeler
07-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Going to be interesting if DHB pans out. He's only signed for 1 year, so he has incentive to stand out.

Stone
07-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Going to be interesting if DHB pans out. He's only signed for 1 year, so he has incentive to stand out.

Wouldn't it be nice if a little stability and a solid system could produce results for him? Not sure why he wasn't much of a factor with the Colts?

KevinE
07-27-2014, 05:37 PM
@dlolleyor: Martavis Bryant not practicing for #Steelers

Big T
07-27-2014, 05:42 PM
@EdBouchette: LeVeon Bell leaves practice field with trainer. Walking fine but something is up #Steelers

Big T
07-27-2014, 05:46 PM
@MarkKaboly_Trib: Amazing the command Mike Munchak has with the OL. Night and day from last year.

KevinE
07-27-2014, 05:53 PM
@MarkKaboly_Trib: Amazing the command Mike Munchak has with the OL. Night and day from last year.

I like!!!

KevinE
07-27-2014, 05:54 PM
@EdBouchette: LeVeon Bell leaves practice field with trainer. Walking fine but something is up #Steelers

Just saw this. I hate training camp lol

Big T
07-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Just saw this. I hate training camp lol

@MarkKaboly_Trib: Tomlin said LeVeon Bell left with tightness in hammy. Not serious.

KevinE
07-27-2014, 06:53 PM
@MarkKaboly_Trib: Tomlin said LeVeon Bell left with tightness in hammy. Not serious.

Good..

Rollers
07-27-2014, 07:45 PM
It's reported Mitchell has a hamstring issue as well. Bell has a "tight" hamstring? Those are the injuries that just keep coming back all year once suffered. Not sure how you come back fully from it without just sitting out a long time. Two starters already, Oi Well we'll see who's next. Hope neither one is all that serious.

Steeltrap
07-27-2014, 08:39 PM
It amazes be how these supposed "pro" athletes dont know to properly stretch and prepare their hamstrings.

Big T
07-27-2014, 08:47 PM
It's reported Mitchell has a hamstring issue as well. Bell has a "tight" hamstring? Those are the injuries that just keep coming back all year once suffered. Not sure how you come back fully from it without just sitting out a long time. Two starters already, Oi Well we'll see who's next. Hope neither one is all that serious.

I'm not sure where you heard about Mitchell having a hamstring injury. He had a groin injury. Next expected to keep him out more than a week. And Bell didn't even get injured. He experienced some tightness in his hamstring so they took him out. I'm betting more of a precaution, not wanting to risk a pull, more than anything. They're fine. The sky isn't falling lol.

ChucktownSteeler
07-27-2014, 08:47 PM
It amazes be how these supposed "pro" athletes dont know to properly stretch and prepare their hamstrings.

A lot of truth to that, but shouldn't the coaches and/ or trainers also know a thing or two about prepping for practice? This has and will always be a concern I have with Tomlin. Dude just doesn't seem to know how to prepare a team for practice or more importantly game time.

ChucktownSteeler
07-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Why year in and year out with hammys???? Didn't this plague Woodley, Kiesel, and a few others??? Maybe it's not the players, but the coaches and the training staff.

ChucktownSteeler
07-27-2014, 08:53 PM
@dlolleyor: Martavis Bryant not practicing for #Steelers

As Chas Noll would say" "Rookie you can't make the club if you are in the tub".

Suck it up, Rookie. A lot of competition at WR this year. Put your big boy pants on.

TarlsQtr
07-27-2014, 10:20 PM
I just saw on the PPG "Steelers Report"
http://www.post-gazette.com/video/?v=3697572909001 that Shamarko has been out in California training with Troy. It is the first time that Troy has invited another player to train with him. Pretty classy move on Troy's part, as he knows Shamarko was drafted to be his replacement. I guess he is the "anti-Favre."

TarlsQtr
07-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Why year in and year out with hammys???? Didn't this plague Woodley, Kiesel, and a few others??? Maybe it's not the players, but the coaches and the training staff.

The "coaches and training staff" cannot dictate how the players train during the off-season. Kind of hard to blame them the first weekend. I would love to see stats about this (but doubt they exist) because I have a hunch that we do not have any more hammy injuries than any other team. We notice our own the most. The Packers had tons of them last season. They are actually most common in the pre-season because players go from being de-conditioned to full speed at camp.

TarlsQtr
07-27-2014, 10:39 PM
• Ben Roethlisberger has made it known for some time that he would like to have a big receiver. During a team third-down period, Roethlisberger's wide receivers were Dri Archer (5-foot-8), Antonio Brown (5-10), Lance Moore (5-9) and Markus Wheaton (5-11). So who did Roethlisberger throw the ball to? How about 6-7 tight end Matt Spaeth. Spaeth beat rookie linebacker Ryan Shazier on a third-and-7 out pattern that resulted in a first down.

• The third-down period was successful for the offense. The only time the first-team offense didn't convert was when LeGarrette Blount ran off the right side for no gain.

• Archer's strong start continued Sunday with a pretty cutback run that resulted in a substantial gain. However, Archer wasn't perfect, and Roethlisberger let him know it. Archer dropped a pass in the flat during receiver drills. “You can't score if you can't catch it. You can't get a first down if you don't catch,” Roethlisberger said.

• Veteran left guard Ramon Foster will return Monday after mourning the death of his mother. In his absence, Cody Wallace took over his position Saturday, and Chris Hubbard worked with the first team Sunday.

• It's easy to see that Mike Tomlin likes Blount. During an 11-on-11 period, Blount plowed his way forward for about 4 yards, dragging defenders with him. “Way to punch a hole in it 27. That's the way to punch a hole in it, big back. I'll take that,” Tomlin said.

• Roethlisberger and Brown hooked up a team-record 110 times last year. However, that didn't prevent the two from working on play-action passes by themselves while the rest of the team went through a special-teams period on the other side of the field.

• There was a light moment during special-teams practice when special-teams coach Danny Smith, assistants Joey Porter and Jerry Olsavsky, and intern Mike Sellers tried to hold up the punt team from getting down the field from a bunch formation. Porter was able to corral Will Johnson on one try with another try resulting in Smith getting knocked to the ground.

• Rookie linebacker Jordan Zumwalt played inside and outside Sunday, switching places with Terrence Garvin.

• A day after playing at second-team left tackle, Mike Adams took snaps at right tackle.

• Archer, Wheaton, Moore and Jordan Hall returned punts.

— Mark Kaboly

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6503302-74/team-roethlisberger-archer#ixzz38it6SDrG

TarlsQtr
07-27-2014, 10:43 PM
• Martavis Bryant, the rookie wide receiver from Clemson, was in and out of offseason practices with some injury issues, so the Steelers didn't get a full look at a potentially productive player. They still haven't in camp. He sat out Sunday with a groin problem. Still, Ben Roethlisberger is seeing enough to believe that the fourth-round pick could be a big addition. “As he starts getting more comfortable and not thinking so much, we'll see the special player he could be,” Roethlisberger said.

• Offensive lineman David Snow (broken right foot) will require surgery, although the date still hasn't been set. Running back Le'Veon Bell sat out part of a shortened Sunday practice after his hamstring “tightened,” coach Mike Tomlin said. Wide receiver C.J. Goodwin (shoulder) also was out. None of the injuries other than Snow's is believed to be serious. Rain forced practice to end with about 10 minutes remaining.

• The Steelers can put on pads Monday, and, as rookie Dri Archer said, “That's means it's football season now.” Tomlin said, “It's not football-like. It's football.” It's especially welcomed by defensive end Cam Heyward, who said, “I'm sure there will be a couple of scrums, but I'll stay out of them. I'm excited because you want to see how everybody can deal with the wear and tear and the physicality of football because that's a big component.”

• Mike Mitchell is getting more comfortable with the Steelers' defense even as he sits out with a groin injury. “I'll stand back there with coach (Carnell) Lake, and we'll go over each play and I can kind of see what the other guys are doing,” the safety said. “If he's correcting them, it's like he's correcting me at the same time. It (the injury) is unfortunate, but it's turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I'm still finding ways to get better.”

• The key to the Steelers' defense? It might be nose tackle Steve McLendon, even though he played only about one-third of the snaps last season. “I expect a lot. That's the guy next to me, and I expect him to improve on last year,” defensive end Cam Heyward said. “I know he wanted more out of last year, and I expect Steve to be a top-5 nose tackle in this league. He's got all the tools. He's not Casey Hampton, but he's quick, fast and he's strong. If Steve has a successful year, we'll have a successful year.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6503305-74/steelers-steve-expect#ixzz38iuEZgMF
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

KevinE
07-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the reports fellas, keep them coming...

Big T
07-28-2014, 01:06 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/video/?v=3697572909001 that Shamarko has been out in California training with Troy. It is the first time that Troy has invited another player to train with him. Pretty classy move on Troy's part, as he knows Shamarko was drafted to be his replacement. I guess he is the "anti-Favre."

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php/40637-Polamalu-taking-Shamarko-Thomas-under-his-wing

cali_fan
07-28-2014, 04:38 AM

I actually laughed out loud on the Farve comment

steelchamp204
07-28-2014, 12:53 PM
They should get the Futbol trainers over from Europe, seems that Futbol players never have hamstring/groin issues. They run most of the game. At least to keep there legs fresh and loose.

JensK
07-28-2014, 03:32 PM
The soccer players deal with a bunch if different injuries though. They have the same injury rate per team, its just of another nature.

Big T
07-28-2014, 03:41 PM
They should get the Futbol trainers over from Europe, seems that Futbol players never have hamstring/groin issues. They run most of the game. At least to keep there legs fresh and loose.

Tell that to Jozy Altidore

TarlsQtr
07-28-2014, 04:00 PM
In this study, 508 soccer players had a total of 61 groin injuries among 51 players. That is 10 percent of the players.

http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/38/10/2051.abstract

Hammies and other muscle injuries are pretty bad too:
In total, 2908 muscle injuries were registered. On average, a player sustained 0.6 muscle injuries per season. A squad of 25 players can thus expect about 15 muscle injuries per season. Muscle injuries constituted 31% of all injuries and caused 27 percent of the total injury absence. Ninety-two percent of all muscle injuries affected the 4 major muscle groups of the lower limbs: hamstrings (37 percent), adductors (23 percent), quadriceps (19 percent), and calf muscles (13 percent).

http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/39/6/1226.abstract

TarlsQtr
07-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Colbert: Steelers won't rule out signing Keisel, others before season starts

Those players who open the regular season for the Steelers may not be with them in training camp today and that goes for veteran defensive end Brett Keisel.

General manager Kevin Colbert would not rule out the team re-signing Keisel, 35, or acquiring players released by other teams before their season kicks off against the Cleveland Browns Sept. 7 at Heinz Field.

“We haven’t eliminated any players from consideration and we always just look at where we are,’’ Colbert said, “because we don’t know what’s going to happen over the preseason, even into the season.

“There have been times when we’ve brought back veteran players due to injury. We won’t eliminate anybody. If we eliminated a player, we always tell a player don’t keep us in your thought process.”

Keisel, who played all 12 of his NFL seasons with the Steelers, became an unrestricted free agent this year and received no credible offers. He let it be known he did not want to play for the minimum wage, which would be slightly more than $1 million. He started the past eight seasons at right defensive end for the Steelers, missing four games last season with an injury.

The Steelers have such a young team that they could add players as others release them in the final cutdown. Rosters stand at 90 today but must be reduced to 53 a week before the regular season opens. That comes to 1,184 players who will become available.

“I don’t worry about the final 53 at this point in time,’’ Colbert said. “There will be players who are going to be cut who will be better than maybe some of the guys we have on our 53, so there is no panic at this point because there is going to be a whole ‘nother group of players, both young and old, who will be available when teams make their cuts. So you may add somebody at that point.

“Right now if you’re looking for immediate help with everybody at 90, it’s a struggle right now because the rosters are full and the streets are limited. That will change when that final cut comes through.

“Again, we’re still light years away from the first game.”

They are even further from signing Ben Roethlisberger to a contract extension. That will not happen before 2015, but Colbert issued a guarantee of sorts.

“I don’t see any circumstance where Ben won’t finish his career here.’’

Colbert even hopes Roethlisberger’s bargaining power increases this season.

“That would be wonderful if he had his best career year ever and we win the Super Bowl. There wouldn’t be any complaining for sure.”

In fact, Roethlisberger is a big reason the Steelers did not drop below 8-8 the past two seasons, Colbert said.

“It’s painful to go through that losing season where you totally bomb. The worst we’ve been is 6-10 and that was when we ended up drafting a quarterback. When you have a guy like Ben, he helps you sustain even through the lean years. When you have a franchise quarterback, they can get you through some tough times.

“Fortunately, we’ve had him through this whole stretch and, again, if we add the right people in the mix and he continues to do his job, I would hope we wouldn’t be 8-8 again. We never want to go through that extended valley where you have to start over.’’

Yet Colbert said young players will have plenty to say about that record in 2014.

“We’re a much younger team and I think the success of this team will be determined by the pace at which the young group develops.’’

The GM re-iterated what Steelers president Art Rooney said last week, one reason they want to hold off on Roethlisberger is to use their available cap room to possibly sign some of their other players whose contracts expire after this season: Jason Worilds, Marcus Gilbert, Cortez Allen and Shaun Suisham.

“We still have a good four weeks to try to get something done and that’s where we are right now.”

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/07/28/Colbert-Steelers-won-t-rule-out-signing-Keisel-others-before-season-starts/stories/201407280157#ixzz38nB1ZwcZ

K Train
07-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Harrison please

TarlsQtr
07-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Harrison please

I would take Harrison AND Keisel.

Tuitt is a rookie and the only thing I am confident Cam Thomas will be notable for is spreading an STD.

LatrobePA
07-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Harrison please

Both for me, let BK retire a Steeler.

Big T
07-28-2014, 04:50 PM
I would take Harrison AND Keisel.

Tuitt is a rookie and the only thing I am confident Cam Thomas will be notable for is spreading an STD.

Pretty much this. Harrison would add some solid LB depth, even if he's not the player he once was, and Keisel would at worst add quality depth, though he'd probably start until Tuitt gets up to speed. Both would bring invaluable knowledge and leadership.

Big T
07-28-2014, 05:02 PM
@MarkKaboly_Trib: Star of back on backers. Joey Porter. Hands down. The words he was saying. Wow.

Big T
07-28-2014, 05:03 PM
@MarkKaboly_Trib: My lord the collision Blount and Shazier. Blount staggered him. Shazier whipped him twice before.

Big T
07-28-2014, 05:39 PM
@rayfitt1: Shamarko Thomas just bull rushed Mike Adams and drive him to the ground. That's 5 -8 vs 6-7 and 5-8 won

steelchamp204
07-28-2014, 05:50 PM
@rayfitt1: Shamarko Thomas just bull rushed Mike Adams and drive him to the ground. That's 5 -8 vs 6-7 and 5-8 won

We're talking about Mike Adams. No surprise.

Big T
07-28-2014, 06:07 PM
We're talking about Mike Adams. No surprise.

It's still pretty impressive. Mike Adams has a foot and 100+ lbs on him.

Big T
07-28-2014, 06:12 PM
@rayfitt1: Thomas just tried it again on Adams and Adams hung tougher. Thomas still got under him but at least he fought.

KevinE
07-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Adams must not want to be an nfl player that's weak

K Train
07-28-2014, 06:50 PM
@Alex_Kozora: Winners of linebackers on lineman. Jarvis Jones and Chris Elkins.

@Alex_Kozora: Mike Adams drove Nick Williams five yards back on last run

K Train
07-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Adams must not want to be an nfl player that's weak

Shamarko would run through a wall if he had to, hes a bullet and a solid one at that

Steeltrap
07-28-2014, 07:08 PM
There's a reason Adams is on the "bust" cusp. This is just more proof.

TarlsQtr
07-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Oh, come on. A single episode of a single drill. Even the little guys win one on occasion and Shamarko is about as tenacious as you get.

Big T
07-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Shazier stars in backs on backers
Ray Fittipaldo about 18 hours ago

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin sent the message loud and clear Friday afternoon when his players reported for training camp. “See you Monday” was his response when he was asked if there would be live tackling on the first day of padded practices.

An hour into the first of those padded practices Monday afternoon, there was a spirited backs on backers drill followed by team drills that included live tackling.

“We’ll put them in some challenging situations, see how they respond,” Tomlin said after practice. “From an intensity standpoint, I give each side a thumbs-up in terms of rising to the occasion that was presented.”

The star of the backs on backers drill was rookie linebacker Ryan Shazier. In the drills, linebackers go one-on-one against running backs and tight ends trying to get to the quarterback.

Shazier twice beat veteran running back LeGarrette Blount on speed moves, making Blount look bad. On the third rush, Blount stepped up and popped Shazier before he could make a move.

Still, two out of three isn’t bad for a rookie going up against a season veteran.

“He did some nice things,” Tomlin said. “He was elusive. He was playing to his assets with his speed and agility.”

Blount gave the rookie his due.

“He got my attention on the first couple,” Blount said. “As a football player it’s in your nature not to lose. I just have to make sure I get him before he gets off the line. He’s a quick kid. Obviously, I’m not as quick as he is so I have to get to him before he makes his move. He’s really quick, he’s really fast. He makes plays.”

Linebackers coach Joey Porter spent the drill instructing the linebackers in an entertaining fashion. He was exhorted Shazier to use his speed to his advantage.

“He could be 10 miles away and you’d hear coach Porter. He just says use what you know best.”

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/07/28/Dancing-with-Lightning/stories/201407280001

Big T
07-28-2014, 07:41 PM
@jimwexell: "@math_rioux: how did Jarvis Jones looked?" Very good. Whipped 68 in one on ones.

@MarkKaboly_Trib: Jarvis Jones whips Beachum twice on one on one. And, of course, Peezy goes nuts.

Big T
07-28-2014, 07:47 PM
@jimwexell: "@jessran1970: @sportsfan_Steve Wex, did you get a chance to see Moats on outside?" Moats looked terrific today. Biggest surprise.

Big T
07-28-2014, 07:49 PM
@Ken_Laird: Mike Tomlin on Shazier: "He did some nice things. Elusive, playing to his assets speed & agility. But it's Day 1" #Steelers

steelchamp204
07-28-2014, 07:57 PM
It's still pretty impressive. Mike Adams has a foot and 100+ lbs on him.

I saw Thomas without pads on at training camp Saturday, that dude is ****ing jacked. Archer was bigger than what I expected also, muscular wise.

K Train
07-28-2014, 08:02 PM
I saw Thomas without pads on at training camp Saturday, that dude is ****ing jacked. Archer was bigger than what I expected also, muscular wise.

People cant conceptualize how 220 pounds wrapped up in a 5-8 body running at you at 4.3 speed can put anyone on their ***.

Adams didnt have a bad day from what ive heard

Big T
07-28-2014, 08:43 PM
antoniobrown84:
If I don't get a chance to sign something for you at camp just send info to me St Vincent college 300 Fraser purchase rd Latrobe pa 15650-2690 room 101

http://instagram.com/p/rA1UmYKfub/

Big T
07-29-2014, 01:03 AM
Worth the watch...

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/LIVE_1st_practice_in_pads/e8303365-9f6f-4182-be5a-0d4d28e0a494

86WARD
07-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Great.

KevinE
07-29-2014, 10:12 AM
@gerrydulac: My radio partner Tunch Ilkin said Ryan Shazier's performance in RB vs LB drill was one of most remarkable he's seen.

KevinE
07-29-2014, 10:26 AM
@gerrydulac: Moats is already top backup on outside behind Worilds n JJones.

KevinE
07-29-2014, 10:26 AM
@gerrydulac: All of a sudden LB depth looks VERY good w Vince Williams, Spence, T Garvin, Arthur Moats. And rookie Jordan Zumwalt is 6th rd steal.

KevinE
07-29-2014, 10:27 AM
@gerrydulac: Sean Spence showed on first day of pads he didn't have any problems w rebuilt knee. Looked very good. Now see how knee responds.

steelchamp204
07-29-2014, 10:35 AM
@gerrydulac: Sean Spence showed on first day of pads he didn't have any problems w rebuilt knee. Looked very good. Now see how knee responds.

I noticed that on Saturday. I said awhile back that it's not a given that Shazier will be the starter. He has been lighting it up in camp, if he continues, then he will be a lock at ILB. But, Spence has looked very impressive also. At the end of the day, we know we have good solid depth at ILB/OLB with Moates doing well also.

Big T
07-30-2014, 01:34 AM
Linebacker Jones showing some punch in second Steelers training camp
July 30, 2014 12:00 AM
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With one two-handed punch in a pass-rushing drill, Jarvis Jones knocked left tackle Kelvin Beachum out of his stance and onto his heels, allowing Jones to take an easy inside lane to the quarterback.

Watching with interest was Joey Porter, the former sack-happy linebacker hired as an assistant coach to work with the current linebackers. In particular, Porter will work closely with Jones and Jason Worilds, the bookend outside linebackers, hoping to show them some of the tricks that made him a three-time Pro Bowler with the Steelers. Especially Jones.

“He’s a whiz when it comes to coaching,” Jones said. “As a player and from the coaching side, he knows what’s going on. You’re not hearing it from a guy who just sits there and watched football. It’s someone who was actually in your position and did everything and did it greatly.”

Just don’t suggest to Jones that Porter was brought in to help instill a bit of feistiness in him and Worilds, who officially take over for one of the most successful outside tandems in Steelers history — James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, who combined for 99½ sacks from 2008-12.

Porter was a notorious trash-talker in his eight-year career with the Steelers who once went to the Baltimore Ravens team bus after a game to challenge Ray Lewis to step off.

“Attitude?” Jones said, biting off the suggestion. “Nobody’s got to fix my attitude. I’m ready every day.

“Just because I’m chilling and I’m nice to y’all, my attitude is fixed. They wouldn’t have drafted me if they thought they had to bring someone in to fix my attitude.”

Actually, if Porter can get Jones to do what he did in a one-on-one pass-rush drill against Beachum, then his method of teaching will be a success.

Jones did not — or could not — do that last season when he was the Steelers’ No. 1 draft choice. It’s one of the reasons he worked on getting stronger and developing better technique heading into his second season.

Jones needs to be more of a disruptive pass-rushing force at right outside linebacker if the Steelers want to improve a defense that struggled in 2013 with big plays, few takeaways and, perhaps most important, lack of pressure. After an impressive preseason in which he flashed great instincts and explosion, Jones had only one sack and 11 quarterback pressures in the regular season.

It was not what the Steelers were expecting from a player who had 28 sacks in his final two seasons at Georgia, including 14½ as a senior to lead Division I-A.

“Coming out of college, I had all the success in the world,” Jones said.

“Everything you wanted to do as a pass-rusher, all the sacks, all the other stuff, that’s gone now. I’ve got to find my way of becoming an elite pass-rusher here in the NFL.

“I got some great guys to help me do that — coach [Keith] Butler, Joey Porter. The main thing is, I’ve got to be that guy to go out there and make that happen. I’ve been working tremendously hard. We’ll see what it brings and how it turns out.”

Jones reported to training camp at 245 pounds, the same weight he played at last season as a rookie.

But he said he is stronger, though he added “it might not look like it.”

Jones found out he needed the extra strength to develop more of a bull-rush move — or do what he did to Beachum — rather than just trying to run around the left tackle all the time. If he can do that, Jones can use those moves to set up his outside rush.

“I did a lot of running the last week and a half and [the weight] kind of came off me a little,” Jones said, lifting his short sleeve to show off his bicep. “But I knew I got stronger, so my main thing coming to camp was just being in shape that I could help myself. I know I pushed my body to the max while I was training to get stronger. I’ve been feeling good.”

The coaches already have noticed how much quicker Jones appears to be in training camp — the result of having a better understanding of the defense.

Now he wants to have a disruptive influence similar to Porter, his mentor, who ranks fifth in team history with 60 sacks.

“I’m passionate about it,” Jones said.

“I love what I do. I love playing this game. I’ve got some great teammates and I’m playing for a great organization. That’s why I play this game. That’s why I try to approach it the right way every time I’m out there.”

•NOTES — The Steelers placed center David Snow on the waived injured list and signed running back Josh Harris, a rookie free agent from Wake Forest. The Steelers needed a running back because Le’Veon Bell has been sidelined by a hamstring injury and Alvester Alexander is on the physically-unable-to-perform list. … After a mandatory day off, the players will resume practice today. The 3 p.m. session will be open to the public.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/07/30/Jones-showing-some-punch-in-second-Steelers-training-camp/stories/201407300106?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

SuperSteelers
07-30-2014, 02:25 AM
Now he wants to have a disruptive influence similar to Porter, his mentor, who ranks fifth in team history with 60 sacks.

“I’m passionate about it,” Jones said.

Mmmmm....it all sounds good and we will see if it translates to the field.

Rollers
07-30-2014, 07:53 AM
No disrespect meant but going against Beachum is probably not like going against most of the starting tackles in the NFL. Last year Jones was easily stoned at the point of rush by numerous tackles. One sack in 8 starts and numerous on the field chances in games he did not start. Got a little stronger? We'll see. It's tough to judge a guy on his rookie year and is probably unfair. However there were undrafted rookies on D last year on other teams that made an impact. I keep asking why? Does a defensive scheme have to be so complicated that it won't work for someone that's just been drafted? I don't know. Over and over I hear the system is to complicated. Jones should have been able to collect a couple sacks. Just one though. I'm not sold. I hope I'm wrong and he has a pro bowl year this year. Maybe we need a new scheme. Maybe the NFL has caught up with what we're doing. I don't know. I'm not smart enough to know. All I know is what we put on the field last year didn't work.

ChucktownSteeler
07-30-2014, 07:58 AM
I said in a previous note that perhaps Beachum just sucks. I will wait and see when our LBs go up against other NFL competition.

Bringing Porter in to help is a good move, I can't wait for the thread "Tomlin needs to bring in ex-Cowher players to coach". It's coming, get ready.

steelchamp204
07-30-2014, 09:24 AM
I said in a previous note that perhaps Beachum just sucks. I will wait and see when our LBs go up against other NFL competition.

Bringing Porter in to help is a good move, I can't wait for the thread "Tomlin needs to bring in ex-Cowher players to coach". It's coming, get ready.

Beachum did very well last season at LT. I think he did better than Gilbert on the other side.

Gilbert is in a contract year as his deal will be up, I expect him to lock down RT and dominate this year next to DD

TarlsQtr
07-30-2014, 09:55 AM
A deep crowded middle

Good morning. The Steelers are back at it today after an off day yesterday. They are entering one of the tougher stretches of training camp. Today is the first of six consecutive practices before their next off day Tuesday.

Rookie linebacker Ryan Shazier stole the headlines with his performance in the backs on backers drill but several other inside linebackers performed very well in the first day of practice in pads. Vince Williams, the starter last season alongside Lawrence Timmons, won his battles easily. Sean Spence looked very good in team drills. Terence Garvin, in his second season, and rookie Jordan Zumwalt looked good, too. No one knows at this point how Spence’s surgically repaired knee will hold up but there it’s looking like depth will be a plus at inside linebacker. And that’s not including Arthur Moats, who can play inside in addition outside linebacker.

*Tight end David Paulson made the 53-man roster the past two seasons, but it’s hard to imagine him making it a third consecutive year. There has been almost zero improvement in his blocking ability since his rookie season. That was evident Monday afternoon in the backs on backers drill. Paulson was twice beaten badly by his opponent. Head coach Mike Tomlin ordered many other players a third opportunity if they were beaten on consecutive occasions, but he didn’t bother giving Paulson a third chance. With Will Johnson taking more reps at tight end this summer and seventh-round draft choice Rob Blanchflower, who was known for his blocking at Massachusetts, there as legitimate competition, it’s going to be hard for Paulson to make it again unless there is an injury. Paulson, who played early last season when Heath Miller and Matt Speath were out with injuries, fell to fourth on the depth chart late last season behind Michael Palmer.

*Backs on backers is a great drill because rookies that have little chance of making the team can still earn the respect of established NFL players by competing. Running back Jordan Hall, a late addition to the roster in June, is 5 feet 9 and 190 pounds, but he stepped up and popped Garvin hard, stopping the 6-3, 221-pounder in his tracks. Veteran LeGarrette Blount went over to Hall and congratulated him on his effort. I was equally impressed with 6-3, 245-pound tight end Bryce Davis, who will only make the team if he beats out 10-year veteran Greg Warren for the long-snapping duties. Davis, who played at Division II Central Oklahoma, won a couple of his battles and likewise received congratulations from veterans Matt Spaeth and Heath Miller.

*David DeCastro had a good first day in one-on-one pass rush drills, but the rest of the starters will be looking for better outings today when they go up against the defensive linemen and linebackers. It was a rough first day for starting left tackle Kelvin Beachum, who beaten by Jarvis Jones twice on consecutive finesse moves. Backup tackle Mike Adams didn’t fare much better. He struggled with Chris Carter, who was able to turn the corner and dip under Adams to get to the quarterback. Adams struggled even more in pass protection in team drills when Shamarko Thomas ran over him with a bull rush.

*It was a nice touch by the Steelers Monday afternoon to honor Ed Bouchette by making an announcement over the loud speakers about Ed receiving the Dick McCann Award later this week at the Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement festival in Canton, Ohio. The crowd at Chuck Noll Field gave a round of applause for Bouchette, who will return to camp next week after this weekend’s festivities. Gerry and I will take you through the rest of the week with coverage in the paper and the blog. Ed will return Monday.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/07/30/A-deep-crowded-middle.html

TarlsQtr
07-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Beachum was a more than adequate tackle last season. He is probably the perfect analog for the "average" NFL tackle. He is not huge but very good from a technical standpoint. He has been compared to Tunch Ilkin in that regard, not a bad guy to be compared with.

K Train
07-30-2014, 10:38 AM
everyone just wants to think jones is a bust because he didnt add 20 pounds of muscle and shave 2 seconds off his 40 time....so it must just be beachum that sucks lol

Steeltrap
07-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Jones will be rock solid this season. And if there are any Jones nay sayers, they will be muted after this coming season.

ChucktownSteeler
07-30-2014, 11:44 AM
I hope Jones does well, just not going to base his improvement on going up against Beachum for 3 days, 2 which didn't include pads.

Check out the article below on Harrison vs Jones:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/07/steelers-film-room-jarvis-jones-technique-versus-talent/

Very good read. His technique need a ton of work. Probably why Porter was brought in (ex-Cowher player).

Big T
07-30-2014, 03:07 PM
@BobLabriola: Art Rooney II announces the @Steelers will retire Joe Greene's No.75 jersey

@steelers: The team will have a ceremony during the Ravens game at @heinzfield. #JoeGreene75

@ScottBrown_ESPN: Steelers gave Greene the choice of what game he wanted to have his jersey retired. He picked Ravens game.

Steeltrap
07-30-2014, 04:41 PM
About freakin time. Jersey should have been retired.

Big T
07-30-2014, 05:01 PM
@Ken_Laird: TEs run blocking drill v LBs today at #steelers camp w Tomlin, LeBeau, Porter, Sellers, etc looking on. Jarvis and Spaeth w good battles

@ScottBrown_ESPN: Rookie Martavis Bryant draws big round of applause after beating CB Lew Toler on a deep pass. Bryant looks good in one-on-one drills.

@Ken_Laird: Tomlin to Jarvis: "I like it 95!" as he prevents Spaeth from setting the edge on the run block drill

@Alex_Kozora: Wheaton is catching EVERYTHING in camp. Looks really good.

Big T
07-30-2014, 05:09 PM
@MarkKaboly_Trib: End of line tight end drills going on. Will Johnson and Eric Waters winners on offense. Jarvis and Worilds on D.

@ScottBrown_ESPN: Antonio Brown made a beautiful double move that turned Cortez Allen around but pass sailed over his head.

@Ken_Laird: Antonio Brown gets the camp crowd applauding w about 6 reversals of direction after the catch one on one v Cortez Allen

KemoTherapy
07-30-2014, 05:37 PM
If they keep Paulson over Blanchflower I think I'll puke.

Big T
07-30-2014, 05:38 PM
If they keep Paulson over Blanchflower I think I'll puke.

Blanchflower out with a boot on his left leg

Big T
07-30-2014, 05:40 PM
@ScottBrown_ESPN: Wheaton catches short pass and spins out of grasp of Cortez Allen for a nice catch and run.

@ScottBrown_ESPN: Nice play Ryan Shazier. Almost picked off short pass over the middle from Ben to Spaeth. Arrived at same time as the ball.

@jimwexell: Landry Jones looking so much more comfortable and confident sliding around pocket avoiding rush, finding throwing lane.

@ScottBrown_ESPN: Landry Jones has made a couple of nice completions after sidestepping pressure and stepping up in the pocket.

@jimwexell: And Landry just throws a 5-yarder into Pola's gut. Sorry to have mushed you Landry.

@ScottBrown_ESPN: What goes up must come down? Jones follows solid play with a sack and interception.

@MarkKaboly_Trib: Troy anticipates and intercepts pass from Landry Jones. Lots of pressure on the play up middle by 94 and 50

Big T
07-30-2014, 06:00 PM
@Alex_Kozora: Wes Johnson used as second team center and third team left tackle in same drill.

@Alex_Kozora: I get the feeling the team really likes Wes Johnson. Getting long look at him.

@Alex_Kozora: One play in last 11 on 11. Amoeba defense, one DL. All with their hand up.

@ScottBrown_ESPN: He is not getting pub of Ryan Shazier but Vince Williams has looked good early in camp. Steelers depth at ILB could be really good.

KevinE
07-30-2014, 06:06 PM
@dlolleyor: LeVeon Bell still sitting out for #Steelers

Big T
07-30-2014, 06:20 PM
@Ken_Laird: Last drill of the day for the #steelers is OL v DL pass rush drills

@ScottBrown_ESPN: Hard not to notice Stephon Tuitt's burst off the ball.

@MarkKaboly_Trib: Arthur Moats looked real good during OL pass blocking drills. Won every time.

@MarkKaboly_Trib: Daniel McCullers having his best practice of his short career.

KevinE
07-30-2014, 06:37 PM
@AKinkhabwala: Thud: making initial contact but not tackling to the ground. With the Steelers, thud is a lot louder than for most teams.

Big T
07-30-2014, 06:43 PM
@jimwexell: Blanchflower has high ankle sprain.

KemoTherapy
07-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Blanchflower out with a boot on his left leg
Ugh, further proof that the "light practice" routine not only doesn't work but is counterproductive. The gap between football in shorts and full on contact is too great a jump without a gradual buildup of intensity. My two cents.

Big T
07-30-2014, 07:36 PM
@Ken_Laird: New #Steelers DT Dan McCullers is 6'7 352. William Gay: "We call him 'Big Dan'. I told him 'You're bigger than everybody, just move people'"

@Ken_Laird: Gay on McCullers: "Reminds me of the movie 'The Longest Yard', the big dude that was in there & started crying and then destroyed everybody"

@Ken_Laird: Gay on McCullers: "Me and Troy [Polamalu] were just talking, every time we're going to just walk up and give him a hug." #Steelers

@Ken_Laird: Gay on the 6'5 303 Stephon Tuitt: "That guy right there, he's quiet. I call him 'Silent Assassin'. That's a dangerous person who don't talk"

KevinE
07-30-2014, 07:44 PM
@AKinkhabwala: Saw Steelers rookie LB Ryan Shazier limping. Asked Mike Tomlin if he's OK. Coach said: "He just walks like that."

cuatro_tres43
07-30-2014, 09:06 PM
@Ken_Laird: Gay on the 6'5 303 Stephon Tuitt: "That guy right there, he's quiet. I call him 'Silent Assassin'. That's a dangerous person who don't talk"[/QUOTE]

I like it

Big T
07-30-2014, 10:00 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers returned to practice on Wednesday after their off day for the second padded practice of 2014 training camp.

Joining the team for the first time this season was left guard Ramon Foster after missing the first five days due to a death in his family.

RB Le’Veon Bell (hamstring) remained out of practice along with rookie LB Jordan Zumwalt (groin, left practice early on Monday), as well as PUP-listers S Mike Mitchell and RB Alvester Alexander. Rookie tight end Rob Blanchflower joined the injured list with a high ankle sprain, which head coach Mike Tomlin said will keep him sidelined at least a week.

The competitive individual drills of the day included a run blocking drill with tight ends attempting to drive and seal linebackers in open space, as well as the first session of offensive linemen vs defensive linemen in pass protection drills.

Jarvis Jones and Matt Spaeth were matched up in the run block department for several sessions, with Tomlin exhorting ‘I like it ninety-five!’ after Jones extended and shed Spaeth and got to the edge. Spaeth, however, recovered for some good reps against free agent signee Arthur Moats. Will Johnson also solidly bested Moats, who was impressive on Monday in pass rush drills against big tackles, seemed to struggle more in this run defense drill today.

In OL v DL, Man-Mountain Daniel McCullers was impossible to miss as he used his 6’7, 352lb frame to on one sequence knock fellow giant Mike Adams completely over. Stephon Tuitt and second year man Hebron Fangupo also flashed with impressive quickness for big men, and I thought Stanford rookie Josh Mauro also had a few impressive moments. In general, the team’s defensive line depth looked more impressive than the backup o-linemen.

In team drills, Shamarko Thomas took several reps with the first team defense in favor of Will Allen at safety. Robert Golden also took a few reps alongside Troy Polamalu, as it appears with the Mitchell injury the coaches are giving both Thomas and Golden a chance to show what they can do.

LeGarrette Blount continues to get plenty of work as well without Bell practicing, and in one memorable run today stiff-armed rookie first round pick Ryan Shazier and planted him on his back before being ankle-tackled by Golden on the perimeter.

However, Blount also had a newbie moment as he walked erroneously into the OL v DL huddle, forcing Tomlin to laugh and tell him he was in the wrong position drill.

The crowd pleasing moment of the day came with wide receiver Antonio Brown catching a ball over the middle against Cortez Allen and then reversing direction in short space five or six times, turning Allen into a pretzel as he raced upfield.

Also of note, quarterback Landry Jones took several reps with the second-team offense ahead of Bruce Gradkowski and in general got plenty of work in. However, it’s too early to tell if Jones has a chance to beat out Gradkowski for the backup job in 2014 and Tomlin would only say that the quarterback workload will be distributed so “all the guys get plenty of opportunities to show what they’re made of.” I talked with and upbeat Landry after practice, who said he was feeling “light years” ahead of where he was as a rookie last season.

I also had a fun interview after practice with now eigth-year cornerback William Gay which will air tomorrow on TribLIVE Radio. Below are some quotes from our chat:

On being 8 years in:

“Nah. I don’t want to believe it. But it’s there. It creeps up on you. I remember walking down the hill as a rookie. Now I’m one of the guys they look at and are like, ‘Look at that old man still out there.’ I’m like, ‘Dang I used to say that about other guys.’ But it’s all fun, man, it keeps you humble knowing young guys are trying to beat you out. I got me a young haircut I’m going with the mohawk this year. About to turn 30-something, go back five years and see if that will work.”

On McCullers:

“We call him ‘Big Dan’. He reminds me of the movie ‘The Longest Yard’, the big dude that was in there and he started crying and then destroyed everybody. Me and Troy were just talking, every time we’re going to just walk up and give him a hug. Nice guy. Won’t say too much to you. I told him, ‘Once you get six years in, people are going to be scared to talk to you.’ You’re going to say ‘Get out my face’. I told him, ‘You’re bigger than everybody. Just move people’. “

On Tuitt:

“That guy right there, he’s quiet. I call him ‘Silent Assassin’. That’s a dangerous person who don’t talk.”

On the rebuilt defense:

“I think the difference is how many new guys we have playing the past two years. That’s been a big difference. My rookie year, I only got in when we were up by a lot. Me, Timmons and LaMarr didn’t get in until we had big leads. I look around and say ‘It’s a new age around here’.”

http://sportstalk.triblive.com/steelers-blog-7-30-by-ken-laird

Big T
07-30-2014, 10:19 PM
The competition has started. The separation has not. “One unit will have a good day and **** the other unit off. They’ll come back and win the next one,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Wednesday following the second padded practice of training camp. “There’s ebb and flow.” With the first preseason game still more than a week away, Tomlin is using the practices to pit different players against each other and have them hone their technique in the crucible of competition. “We’ve got some guys that have the proper energy and urgency but are still growing in technical areas,” Tomlin said.

Troy Polamalu drew a roar from the crowd at St. Vincent College when the veteran strong safety intercepted a pass that would have easily gone for a touchdown had it been an actual game. Rookie inside linebacker Ryan Shazier nearly intercepted a pass when he arrived at the same time as a short pass over the middle to tight end Matt Spaeth. There was just enough contact between the two to keep Shazier from hanging on to the ball. The first-round pick looked a little gimpy after the near interception, but Tomlin said Shazier did not get hurt on the play.

Rookie tight end Rob Blanchflower suffered a setback when he sustained a high ankle sprain. The seventh-round draft pick will miss “at least a week,” Tomlin said. Running back Le'Veon Bell (hamstring), linebacker Jordan Zumwalt (groin) and wide receiver C.J. Goodwin (shoulder) did not practice Wednesday.

Rookie wide receiver Martavis Bryant flashed his talent a couple of times Wednesday after a quiet start to camp. The fourth-round pick caught a deep ball early in practice after beating cornerback Lewis Toler in one-on-one drills between the wide receivers and defensive backs. Bryant caught several passes Wednesday and nearly made a spectacular sideline grab of a ball that was slightly underthrown and was ultimately broken up because cornerback Antwon Blake had done a good job of establishing inside position. Bryant did have a bad drop near the end of practice.

There were several highlights from the pass-rushing/pass-protection competition. Nose tackle Steve McLendon knocked Cody Wallace on his wallet after bull-rushing the reserve center and rookie nose tackle Daniel McCullers ran over tackle Mike Adams later in the drill. The offensive line, however, appeared to hold its own as a group in the drill.

It’s tough to get a read on how much progress second-year quarterback Landry Jones is making. The 2013 fourth-round pick completed consecutive passes after showing nice pocket awareness and good footwork during an 11-on-11 drill. The former Oklahoma star, however, took a sack and threw a bad interception on the next two plays. He is still very much a work in progress.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=pittsburgh-steelers&i=TWT&id=7829&w=1e945

KevinE
07-30-2014, 10:49 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/31/ybazuden.jpg

Big T
07-30-2014, 11:19 PM
@Phedko: Striking photo of Ben Roethlisberger and Dan Rooney by Peter Diana of the @PittsburghPG pic.twitter.com/X70ObkYUZA

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtwmkAjCEAEplXr.jpg

KevinE
07-30-2014, 11:24 PM
Love this pic!!!

Big T
07-31-2014, 12:03 AM
@Alex_Kozora: Dave nformed me my "mystery man" coaching the special teams is former Washington FB Mike Sellers. That dude is jacked. And VERY intense.

Jeff Hartings is also in camp as a coaching intern

jpele
07-31-2014, 11:00 AM
Gotta love it :

SS Shamarko Thomas (5-9, 217) bowled over OT mike Adams (6-7, 323) during a bull rush in live 11-on-11 practices.

LatrobePA
07-31-2014, 11:22 AM
@Alex_Kozora: Dave nformed me my "mystery man" coaching the special teams is former Washington FB Mike Sellers. That dude is jacked. And VERY intense.

Jeff Hartings is also in camp as a coaching intern

This team has a different feel to it this year! Even from mini camps..

FlatsSteeler
07-31-2014, 12:24 PM
As much as I dislike the Rooneys they have surrounded Tomlin with some great coaches which in turn should help him become a better head coach.......if Tomlin allows the OC, HLC, STC, DC, DBC, LBC, OLBC and staffs to coach on Game Day and him worry about motivation, physical readiness and sideline interviews with the mandatory media twat the team will be much improved........

Steeltrap
07-31-2014, 12:31 PM
Flat, I know that was hard for you to say. Thanks.

FlatsSteeler
07-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Flat, I know that was hard for you to say. Thanks.

What part???.........I Really don't dislike Tomlin, I don't think he is a great HC but he certainly has value and I am sure he would be great to go have a beer with.......Now the Rooneys I have been a non fan for about the last 10 yrs when politics took a front seat to the Steelers with Dan and ArtII took over......I will say I adored the "Old Man"......but that was a different era.......Cary On...

JackLambert
07-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Man, if the CBs and OTs play well enough this team can beat anyone.

KemoTherapy
07-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Wow, Mr. Rooney doesn't look like he has a lot of time left judging by that photo.

coldrolled
07-31-2014, 05:06 PM
Wow, Mr. Rooney doesn't look like he has a lot of time left judging by that photo.

That photo is kinda like "Strong the power is in this one"

ChucktownSteeler
07-31-2014, 06:10 PM
That photo is kinda like "Strong the power is in this one"

Nice

Big T
08-01-2014, 02:22 AM
Wheaton ready to step into Steelers' limelight
August 1, 2014 12:00 AM
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It was only a year ago that, standing outside the cafeteria during a lunch-time break at Saint Vincent College, former safety Ryan Clark dumped a surprising heap of praise on rookie receiver Markus Wheaton, the Steelers’ third-round draft choice.

After only a couple days of watching Wheaton run routes in training camp, Clark gushed that the rookie from Oregon State already was better than Mike Wallace, who left the team in free agency to sign a big contract with the Miami Dolphins.

“Markus Wheaton is better than Michael Wallace at everything but one thing — speed,” Clark said at the time. “That’s it. He does everything else better. As far as route-running, he’s more polished. I think he has better hands … I think he’s ready to step in and play.”

Fast forward one year later, after a season in which Wheaton was plagued by a broken hand and caught six passes for 64 yards, and consider the observation of another veteran secondary member who has had to cover him in training camp — cornerback Ike Taylor.

“He can be that guy that teams look at in the first four games and are like, ‘Who is that dude running past people?’ ” Taylor said. “After those first four games, they’re like, ‘OK, we know who he is now.’ ”

Wheaton, though, is in a different position this year than he was as a rookie.

Last year he was the fourth receiver on the depth chart behind Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery. Now, with the departure of Sanders (Denver) and Cotchery (Carolina) in free agency — players who combined for 113 catches, 1,342 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2013 — he has been elevated to the No. 2 receiver alongside Brown.

Can he be that guy?

“Hell yeah,” Taylor said, without hesitation. “But he’s got to be consistent. He’s got to have that Antonio Brown mentality, just like I feel Cortez Allen has to have that Ike Taylor mentality. You can’t care about anything but that person trying to beat you. That’s only thing I care about, and 10 other guys relying on me.

“Cortez got to have that personality, and Markus Wheaton has got to have that personality, like A.B. That’s what makes A.B., A.B. That’s why he’s a Pro Bowl guy. Wheaton has all the talent. He just has to have that mentality. Once he gets that mentality, it’s lights out for him.”

Wheaton’s ability to be a productive receiver will be one of the critical components for the Steelers offense in 2014. Even though he dressed and played in 12 games last season, he is one of three new receivers with whom quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has to develop some kind of rapport.

The others are veteran Lance Moore, signed in free agency from the New Orleans Saints to replace Cotchery; and rookie Martavis Bryant, their fourth-round pick.

Still, so much of what happens with the passing game will be up to Wheaton.

At Oregon State, he caught a school-record 227 passes for 2,997 yards and 16 touchdowns in three seasons. He also rushed 83 times for 631 yards and five touchdowns, an average of 7.6 yards per carry. That means he averaged 11.7 yards every time he touched the ball.

Moore, who played in a pass-happy offense in New Orleans, likes what he sees of Wheaton.

“He has great potential and extreme explosiveness,” Moore said. “He runs really, really good routes and has great hands. I think the sky is the limit for him.”

Brown is the unquestioned leader and production machine among the receivers after a Pro Bowl season in which he finished with the second-most catches in team history (110) and set a club record with 1,499 receiving yards. In addition, he became the first player in NFL history to have at least five catches and 50 yards in every game during a 16-game season.

In very convincing fashion, Brown answered any question how he would perform without having Wallace to command the defensive attention on the other side.

“Do it again,” Brown said when asked what he does for an encore. “We all need to work hard if we want to be successful. We’re 8-8 two years in a row. That’s not good enough.”

Nobody works harder than Brown. Long after practice ended Thursday, he stood at the far end of the practice field, making one-handed catches on balls fired from the jugs machine, first with his left hand, then with his right. Brown stood only 10 yards from the machine as it whistled hard, tight spirals.

“He’s a lot better in person than I thought he would be,” said Moore, who saw a number of productive receivers when he was with the Saints. “You watch him on film and you see him, but to be up close and personal and see it every day, no wonder he’s as great as he is.

“The way he approaches the game, the way he comes to practice and competes every single day is awesome to watch. It’s awesome to be a part of that. You can really see each and every day why he’s as good a player as he is.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/08/01/Wheaton-ready-to-step-into-Steelers-limelight/stories/201408010092

TarlsQtr
08-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Weight and conditioning not an issue for Stephon Tuitt

There were some concerns about Stephon Tuitt’s weight and his level of conditioning by some in NFL circles during the predraft process. The Steelers were convinced he played at a heavier weight last fall at Notre Dame because a sports hernia prevented him from working out in the proper manner. Tuitt has more to prove before unseating Cam Thomas for a starting job at defensive end, but coach Mike Tomlin is impressed with him. “More than anything it’s his willingness to work,” Tomlin said. “He comes in great shape. He’s highly conditioned. He’s chasing the ball and he’s developing the skills associated with the position. He’s got a ways to go there. They all do. But I like his attitude and approach.”

*The Steelers will break up the monotony of camp today when they hold their first and only night practice while in Latrobe. The practice will take place at Latrobe Memorial Stadium. “It’s a change of environment,” Tomlin said. “It’s an exciting environment. You can feel the energy of the fans. We like getting on the yellow buses. It takes us back a day or two. We’re going to do similar things, but you have to acknowledge the energy of the place and it’s a good thing for our football team.”

*Tomlin wanted a physical camp and a few of his safeties obliged by laying some big hits Thursday afternoon. Even in some practice periods where there was no live tackling, Shamarko Thomas and Jordan Dangerfield were knocking down offensive players with their blows. Tomlin did not mind. “It’s high and hard,” he said. “We’re not tackling except in the appropriate periods. Sometimes they go down in a thud [portion of practice] though. That’s the nature of it.”

*Tomlin said he did not know the nature of the injury that sent Darrius Heyward-Bey to the locker room during practice Thursday, but it appeared he suffered a head injury after Shaquille Richardson fell on him on the sidelines after Heyward-Bey dropped a pass.

*The tight end position was getting thin by the end of practice. Rookie Rob Blanchflower missed again with a high ankle sprain. Matt Spaeth and Michael Palmer were given maintenance days and then another rookie, Eric Waters, went down with a back injury. That left Heath Miller, David Paulson and Will Johnson to take most of the reps. Johnson, who began his pro career, as a fullback, is not a stranger to tight end, though. He played tight end at West Virginia. Look for the Steelers to possibly use him more as an H-back or tight end this season because of his blocking ability and soft hands.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/08/01/Weight-and-conditioning-not-an-issue-for-Stephon-Tuitt.html

Steeltrap
08-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Wheaton is going to be what we need at the other WR position.

LatrobePA
08-01-2014, 12:20 PM
This team should have depth this year. The other Brown is $$$ so far too!!

Big T
08-01-2014, 01:04 PM
This team should have depth this year. The other Brown is $$$ so far too!!

So was Sweed lol. Every year in camp was the year. He'd tear up camp and **** in games. F*ck I'm still sad thinking about it. He should've been so good :(

K Train
08-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Im cautiously optimisitc about J Brown...definitely moreso than Moye

LatrobePA
08-01-2014, 02:44 PM
So was Sweed lol. Every year in camp was the year. He'd tear up camp and **** in games. F*ck I'm still sad thinking about it. He should've been so good :(

FN Sweed... lol

Big T
08-01-2014, 03:16 PM
I'll be at the practice tonight as well as tomorrow and Sunday. I'll post some observations throughout the weekend and make sure and post some pictures either Sunday night or Monday.

LatrobePA
08-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Eat some pizza for me...

I miss my old stomping grounds this time of year! Latrobe is an awesome town!!

Big T
08-01-2014, 06:53 PM
@SteelersPRBurt: The @steelers waived RB Alvester Alexander & signed first-year RB Jawan Jamison (#44, Rutgers).

KemoTherapy
08-01-2014, 10:53 PM
@SteelersPRBurt: The @steelers waived RB Alvester Alexander & signed first-year RB Jawan Jamison (#44, Rutgers).
Jamison is 5'8",200 lbs and ran a 4.68 40. This guy is the best they could come up with?. Ugh.

Big T
08-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Jamison is 5'8",200 lbs and ran a 4.68 40. This guy is the best they could come up with?. Ugh.

He's a camp body. I swear people around here just bitch for the sake of bitching lol.

TarlsQtr
08-02-2014, 12:06 AM
He's a camp body. I swear people around here just bitch for the sake of bitching lol.

Exactly. Each team has like a 90 man roster right now. If they want to pick up a RB to keep, they will sign someone once rosters are trimmed.

SuperSteelers
08-02-2014, 12:55 AM
Sweet Sweed

KevinE
08-03-2014, 11:05 AM
No talks about Friday nights practice?

Big T
08-03-2014, 12:28 PM
No talks about Friday nights practice?

By Alex Kozora

We’ll take you through day six of Pittsburgh Steelers’ training camp. What an absolutely wonderful day. Maybe my favorite so far. Under the lights in Latrobe. There’s not many things better than that. We’ll get into some of the positional work, give you a breakdown of the backs on ‘backers, the OL/DL matchups, the 11 on 11, and some final thoughts on who showed well and who did not.

- Your injury roundup. Returning were Matt Spaeth and Michael Palmer from their maintenance day. Le’Veon Bell practiced again and participated in 11 on 11 after sitting those out Thursday. Ditto for CJ Goodwin.

Jordan Zumwalt (groin), Dri Archer (left leg) LeGarrette Blount (unknown), Rob Blanchflower (left ankle), Eric Waters (lower back), Justin Brown (broken nose), Jarvis Jones (unknown) and Darrius Heyward-Bey (unknown, possible concussion) all sat out. Zumwalt did some light jogging on the side. He seems to be trending in the right direction but you have to hope he gets back soon. Archer’s left leg was wrapped. Blanchflower is out of the boot, replaced by a smaller sleeve on his left leg. Heyward-Bey didn’t even appear to be in uniform.

Brown was wearing a nose guard over his injury.

Jawan Jamison, signed for the waived/injured Alvester Alexander, was wearing #44.

- As is the tradition, the players signed autographs before practice. Joey Porter still draws a crowd as if he was in the prime of his career. Very cool to see.

- Bill Hillgrove served as the PA announcer for tonight’s practice. Just adds to the “Wow!” factor the night practice brings. A solid 20 minute fireworks show capped off the night. It’s truly an awesome experience and well worth the $5 admission. Highly recommend it.

- Second-team offensive line: Guy Whimper, Chris Hubbard, Cody Wallace, Bryant Browning, Mike Adams

- Third-team offensive line: Wesley Johnson, Bryant Browning, Chris Elkins, Will Simmons, Emmanuel McCray. So pretty much the status quo. Did not see Johnson get reps at center or syphoning away snaps from Adams as he did Thursday.

- Some of the jerseys I saw on the first team punt coverage during the first special team’s drill. Robert Golden your upback, as usual. Spotted David Paulson, Michael Palmer, Sean Spence, and Will Johnson. Really good sign for Spence, of course, to be running first team coverage unit. Shamarko Thomas and Antwon Blake served as the gunners and Brice McCain also got some reps there, too.

- Because only one field was available, it was a lot easier to see the defense in position drills and I took advantage, watching the DBs.

As I noted the other day, Shaq Richardson has a weak punch. It isn’t a huge concern because of the defense’s predominantly off coverage mentality, but it looks like he’s focusing on opening his hips to turn and run. Something that will need to be worked on.

Blake is explosive. Perhaps more than any other defensive back on this team. Extremely fluid and shows quick feet.

- The defensive line was working on anchoring against chips and double-teams. What we’re looking for? Arm extension, pad level, hand placement (inside the numbers), and leg drive. And if you do feel like you’re going to get washed? Turn your shoulder, collapse, and clog the lane.

- Stephon Tuitt and Brian Arnfelt got a lot of work as the two man wedge in return drills. Wes Johnson and Hebron Fangupo were next. Just tack up another position Johnson is seeing reps at on the refrigerator. The third pairing I saw consisted of Nick Williams and Chris Hubbard. Wallace also got one or two reps with Tuitt.

I would love to see Tuitt on the wedge, opening lanes for Archer. But color me biased. This is a guy that has a soft spot for special teams. My favorite Steeler of all-time is Chidi Iwuoma.

- I saw Missi Matthews on the sideline. Nearly fainted in excitement. Missed opportunities…

- To kick off the play-by-play’s, we’re going to start the highly anticipated backs on ‘backers. Missed it last time so I was really excited to watch it this go around.

1. Started things off with Le’Veon Bell against Lawrence Timmons. Timmons swims over top of the back, winning the matchup.

2. They got at it again and Timmons unveils a nasty swim move to the right that leaves Bell in the dust.

3. New foes. Jason Worilds vs Will Johnson. Johnson anchors well.

4. Worilds does a little better here but Johnson again is able to stick and seal.

5. Jordan Hall was late recognizing which linebacker was coming. Chris Carter dips past with relative ease.

6. Good battle between Jordan Hall and Sean Spence. Hall ends up on the ground at the end but it was a good showing.

7. Arthur Moats whips Heath Miller to the inside, winning without a problem.

8. But Miller gets his revenge, sticking and eventually putting 55 into the ground.

9. Terence Garvin may not be very good at supporting the run but he can get after the QB. Swims over top of Tauren Poole, causing the running back to fall.

10. Poole does get some redemption at Howard Jones’ expense, absorbing his bull rush.

11. One of the quickest “wins” of the drill. Ryan Shazier burns Bryce Davis to the inside in one fluid motion. Runs right at Joey Porter as the two chest bump.

12. But Davis doesn’t go down without a fight. Coaches want to see it again and Davis responds and ends up putting Shazier into the turf.

13. A Dan Molls sighting! He swims over Miguel Maysonet.

14. As is the pattern, Maysonet does fare a little bit better as the two go at it again.

15. David Paulson does manage to seal Vic So’oto up the edge

16. Jamison’s first attempt comes versus Howard Jones. Mirrored well and you could say the back won this matchup.

17. The first matchup that started the tempers. Bell vs Vince Williams. Bell sticks and runs Williams a couple yards down the line, near the group of coaches/players standing behind.

18. Coaches want to see it again. Bell anchors against Williams. They sticks, each one not wanting to relent. The two keep backing up and end up throwing each other to the ground. By this point, the skirmish breaks out. The schoolyard circle that universally indicates there’s a fight forms. It’s eventually broken up as cooler heads prevail.

19. Back to the action. Carter swims to the inside of Paulson, beating him.

20. One of the most convincing wins of the day. Sean Spence straight bull rushes David Paulson, flattening the tight end into the dirt. If there was one play that said Sean Spence is back, this is it.

21. Poole and Worilds have a tug of war. Stick for at least five seconds. Good battle.

22. Now we start turning some heads. UDFA rookie Howard Jones versus the veteran Heath Miller. Advantage Miller, right? Wrong. Jones flashes a swim over Miller, beating him.

23. Coaches want to see it again. And usually, the loser redeems himself. Not here. Jones dips that inside shoulder, gets skinny, and is able to turn upfield. Another win for the rookie. Impressive.

24. Davis and Shazier do battle again. Davis does win this one, sealing the first rounder.

25. But Shazier doesn’t shrink to the challenge either. They go at it again and the linebacker wins, planting Davis into the ground. Shazier is pumped. Even from the bleachers, you could see him jawing in Davis’ direction. He wasn’t offering good tidings, I can assure you.

26. Moats runs through Jordan Hall.

27. Maysonet does a nice job sticking to Garvin.

28. Vic So’oto does flash here against Will Johnson. Swims him and it’s a clean victory for the linebacker.

29. Garvin dips the edge working against 30.

30. Jordan Hall staves off a Chris Carter bull rush.

31. Jamison does initially stick to Dan Molls though the linebacker ends up using an inside spin to disengage.

32. Shazier shows strong, active hands, quickly disengaging from Poole. But as #50 went to run past, it appears Poole tripped him. By accident. I think. Maybe.

33. Poole does a nice job getting into Shazier’s pads this time around.

34. Back to where we started. Lawrence Timmons running over Le’Veon Bell. TKO.

35. Coaches want to match them up again. Bell fares better, holding his own.

36. Vince Williams swims Davis with ease.

37. The two go at it again. Davis gets overextended and Williams reaches the edge and is able to turn upfield.

38. Spence tries to bull Jamison but can’t run him over the way he did Paulson.

39. David Paulson does an ok job of sealing Jason Worilds though 93 is able to sneak past late.

40. Garvin with a clean win working against Jordan Hall.

41. Hall gets more aggressive here, putting his head down and getting into 57’s pads first. Risky, but he absorbs the rush and wins.

42. Howard Jones finishes the drill with two rushes. Shows a good punch, putting Miguel Maysonet on his heels.

43. The two square off again. Jones gets his long arms extended and gets into the back’s pads. Would call it a win for the linebacker.

- Thoughts on winners/losers.

Again, Howard Jones stole the show. He still might be raw and undersized but you see a guy who is a natural bender, has long arms that he knows how to use, and a potent “go to” move, his swim. When you make Heath Miller look bad twice, you’re going to garner some attention.

As we’ve talked about, Shazier is as advertised. See the quick get off, the active hands. He’s trending in a positive direction with each practice.

All the running backs got beat up at one point or another but that’s to be expected with so many chances to lose. Bell probably did the best today. I really wonder why Josh Harris wasn’t a part of this drill. He was standing there. Never entered. And he practiced in 11 on 11. Weird.

Vince Williams and Sean Spence also showed well.

David Paulson and Bryce Davis were rough. Paulson may have been worse. Getting tossed to the ground was an absolute ugly moment. Perhaps he makes the roster due to all the injuries but man, I just don’t see it.

Cont...

Big T
08-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Cont... (By Alex Kozora)

- Play-by-play from what I observed in the OL/DL pass blocking/rushing drill.

1. Cam Heyward kicks things off, dipping past Bryant Browning.

2. David DeCastro anchors versus Steve McLendon.

3. Cam Thomas dips past a lineman. Can’t quite, uh, read my notes. Awkward. Looks to be either Emmanuel McCray or Chris Elkins. Feel like it’s McCray. Thomas isn’t going to dip past many lineman. McCray is having a bad camp. One of the few guys that simply doesn’t look like he belongs.

4. Marcus Gilbert kickslides and handles a Vic So’oto swim move. Then he mirrors and stiffs So’oto on an attempted inside swim.

5. Guy Whimper doubles over a bit but he does handle an Arthur Moats bull rush. Side note: Moats was rushing from the ROLB spot. First time all camp he’s gotten reps at that position. Good to see.

6. Chris Hubbard absorbs and anchors verus Brian Arnfelt. Arnfelt is a hard worker though and gives it his all, sprinting to the back of the line. Guy has one speed. Go hard. Have to respect that.

7. Hebron Fangupo tries to dip Chris Elkins. Does saw it but it takes a few seconds to turn upfield. Fangupo does have that squatty, six foot frame working for him. It’s like if James Harrison got addicted to, let’s say, McDonald’s.

8. Stephon Tuitt swims over Whimper with ease. Dirty.

9. Adams is bull rushed, walked back by So’oto. It might look bad on the surface but it’s hard for me to criticize. Lineman never look good handling a bull rush. I’d rather Adams give a little ground than try to hold firm, get uprighted, and letting the linebacker shed.

10. Wes Johnson does a nice job sliding laterally, sealing Howard Jones.

11. Hubbard stuffs Nick Williams.

12. Daniel McCullers vs Elkins, part two. McCullers again is just too big, too strong, too long, for Elkins, and the big NT blows right through.

13. Will Simmons does double over and Josh Mauro is able to slip past.

14. Emmanuel McCray does end the drill on a high note for himself, sealing Chris Carter.

- And some quick thoughts.

Stephon Tuitt is a grown man playing with boys. Continuing to come on strong. I can’t wait to see him in game action.

Marcus Gilbert is quietly having a nice camp. Healthy and showing the level he’s capable of playing. I have to respectfully disagree with Craig Wolfley’s notion that Gilbert needs to show “toughness” this year. He showed plenty of it last year, playing hurt for virtually the entire season. He’s now healthy and showing that he could become a quality starting tackle.

If the team keeps eight lineman, you can start building a good case for Wesley Johnson being kept over Guy Whimper. Not sure how I feel about that one yet, though. Want to see a game. But the team loves the rookie out of Vanderbilt.

Cont...

Big T
08-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Cont... (Alex Kozora)

- Let’s hop into the 11 on 11, yes?

First Installment

1. Tauren Poole opens up as the running back. Inside zone. Ryan Shazier sticks him at the line. Chris Carter opened up at ROLB for the inactive Jones. Will Allen at FS for Mike Mitchell.

2. The team pulls Will Johnson on a power run. Poole with the carry for about five yards. Didn’t see it clearly but Hillgrove said Timmons made the tackle. Gotta trust the man.

3. Team goes into its nickel. Miguel Maysonet totes the rock left side. Ike Taylor cuts him, flips him over, and Maysonet fumbles. Looked like the offense jumped back on it.

4. Power O, DeCastro pulling right to left. Maysonet with another carry.

5. Ramon Foster moves early, eager to pull. No whistle. It’s a decoy though as Ben Roethlisberger fakes the hand off. Fires right side to Markus Wheaton. Pass is a little high but he gets his arms extended and makes the catch. Well done.

6. Smoke screen from Big Ben to Antonio Brown. AB makes William Gay miss and runs down the left sideline before getting pushed out of bounds. The pile tumbles into Danny Smith and knocks him over. He was ok.

I’m convinced Danny Smith could get run over by a B-52 Bomber and bounce right back up, immediately yelling at a gunner to get off his block.

7. Josh Harris receives the carry. Nearly slips but stays on his feet. Nice running lane opened up by the line.

8. Landry Jones comes on with the second team. Mike Adams false starts. Josh Harris gets the handoff and has a nice run to the right. Showed some acceleration.

9. Jawan Jamison’s first carry as a Steeler. Comes off right end for a short gain. Watched Cody Wallace versus Daniel McCullers. Wallace able to hold the POA, and then buries 74 as the nose tackle starts to turn and follow Jamison. Just a matter of low man winning.

10. Jamison with another short run. Not sure if this was the first play or if it happened a play before but Arthur Moats is in as the 1st team ROLB.

11. Again, the Steelers fake Power O. Jones shows good velocity, firing to Martavis Bryant on a curl. Ike Taylor with the coverage.

12. False start. Then the defense jumps offsides. Masyonet rips off a big run. Probably went for 15 yards.

13. Josh Harris with a short run before getting tackled by Terence Garvin. But showed good vision, making one cut upfield to get what he could.

14. Jamison popped by Ross Ventrone for a minimal gain.

15. One of the backs, screwed up the number in my notes, is dropped in the backfield by Vince Williams to end the first installment.

- The 50/50 winner got a haul of $2900. Factoring in the six cent sales tax, that’s 2735 McChicken’s off the dollar menu. At 15 practices per training camp, that could last me 182 years.

Second Installment

1. Le’Veon Bell getting his first reps in team drills since his hamstring injury. And that’s who Roethlisberger finds in the left flat for a short completion. Carter starts off the period as the 1st team ROLB.

2. In the face of pressure, Ben hits Will Johnson on a short completion.

3. Roethlisberger throws high and incomplete to Lance Moore. Ike Taylor had the coverage. Ryan Shazier was sent on a blitz that David DeCastro picked up without an issue.

4. Big Ben with a big (sad trombone sounds for the pun) completion to Heath Miller over the middle. Lawrence Timmons has to chase the veteran from behind. Watched the line on this play. Marcus Gilbert does well to seal Jason Worilds.

5. Roethlisberger complete to Tauren Poole in the right flat. But that’s not the interesting part. It was the defensive scheme. Slant LDE Cam Thomas and LOLB Arthur Moats to bring Ryan Shazier free off the edge. This defense has been super aggressive and showing a lot of complicated looks. Expect Dick LeBeau to go full boar in the regular season.

6. Roethlisberger overthrows Will Johnson and Troy Polamalu dives to make his second interception of camp. Another roar from the packed crowd.

7. Landry Jones finds Lance Moore. “Thud” tackling with players not going to the ground.

8. Screen from Jones to Maysonet. Call it a medium sized pickup.

9. Offsides but Jones makes a heady play by throwing a quick fade, though it falls incomplete. Saw Sean Spence lined up off the edge on this play. Linebackers are going to move around a lot. Their speed will be properly utilized. No one is going to be “stuck” and I love it.

10. Another aggressive look from the defense, bringing Brice McCain and Antwon Blake on a blitz off the left side. Landry Jones holds onto the ball for way too long versus the blitz. Finally gets it away and although Lance Moore is in the vicinity, it really was a throw away.

11. Jones’ internal clock is broken. Holds onto the ball for so long that the coaches are forced to show mercy and whistle the play dead. The second time that’s happened to #3 in camp. Ugly. Was some penalty on the defense during the play. Something in the secondary, likely a hold.

12. Jones tries to find Jordan Hall and the pass is on the mark but dropped by the back. Again, McCain and Blake blitz. Off course, I was trying to watch Blake in coverage. Bad break.

13. Brendon Kay checks down to Josh Harris.

14. Kay with a screen to Jordan Hall. Again, that’s pretty boring. What is interesting was the amoeba defense from the Steelers. Ethan Hemer is the only DL out there.

15. Kay finishes it off with a completion to Danny Coale who makes a nice grab. Michael Palmer had nice blitz pickup of Robert Golden. And yup, that’s another safety blitz. The third in six plays. Uber aggressive.

- A gentleman sitting to my right, who I’m sure is a nice fellow, was sporting a half-skull, half-smiley face tattoo on his left leg. I really wanted to ask him what compelled him to get such a tattoo, but I didn’t. My guess? Alcohol.

Third Installment

This period ha the offensive line backed up inside its own five. So while I’ll keep tabs of the plays, they’re not particularly exciting. Unless two yard dives are you’re kind of thing. Did get a chance to get a better look at the trenches, though.

1. Bell starts things off with a carry that goes for little, if any, gain.

2. Nice side step in the backfield from 26, avoiding penetration and generating a short gain.

3. Team working out of shotgun. Antonio Brown makes a nice catch along the left sideline. Thomas has worked his way in as the first team safety.

4. Bell with another carry. Moats makes the tackle at the line.

5. Tauren Poole records a short gain.

6. Steelers out of the gun again. Nothing available downfield so Big Ben scrambles up the middle. The crowd eggs him on to continue running and he jogs all the way into the end zone. The crowd erupts. Roethlisberger high fives a little kid as he walks back to the sideline.

Also of note here wa the defensive line. Stephon Tuitt at left end, Roy Philon again seeing time at the nose, and Brian Arnfelt the right end.

7. Another false start on the offense. Maysonet with the carry. Was paying close attention to Cody Wallace against Daniel McCullers. Again, low man wins, and although McCullers holds the POA, he isn’t able to work off the block.

8. Jordan Hall racks up a 3-4 yard gain. McCullers is chipped and then sealed to help open the running lane.

9. Bruce Gradkowski completes this pass to Derek Moye on a deep out to the far sideline.

10. Big pile at the end of this one. Harris has a short run.

11. Josh Harris with another carry. Was really impressed with Ryan Shazier here. Zone run and he reads the flow of it. Takes a good angle, steers clear of any trash and meets the back in the hole, forcing Harris to cut it inside. A veteran play from a rookie. I’ve raved about his football IQ as much as his athleticism, and this play showed it.

12. Landry Jones completes to Moye to end this slightly shorter installment.

- Figured since we were at a different practice location today I should eat somewhere else. My choice? Sheetz, a bonafide Mecca for college students. Bacon sandwich and fries. Delicious.

Fourth Installment

Team ran no huddle. Scrapped the idea of timing from whistle to snap. Just didn’t think it worked well or that I learned much from it.

1. Defense opens up in the nickel. Bell the running back and he finds a nice crease on the left side.

2. Bell with another carry. Thought he had an opportunity to cut upfield to the inside of the wide receiver stalk blocking the corner but he bounces it all the way to the sideline. Troy Polamalu pushes him out of bounds.

3. Pocket is collapsing so Roethlisberger checks it down to 26.

4. Screen pass to Markus Wheaton from Big Ben.

5. Same play, different target. Screen to Lance Moore. Can’t remember if Moore was in the slot or not. He probably was, which would make this an interesting wrinkle. Want to keep it in the back of my head.

6. Ben hits Tauren Poole. Nickel package. Tuitt is playing with his hand up.

7. Bruce Gradkowski rifles a post to Martavis Bryant. He’s falling to the ground and the ball goes through his hands.

8. Gradkowski screen to Maysonet. Vince Williams ends it with a loud thud.

9. Gradkowski finds Harris who leaks out on his route. Will Allen blitzed.

10. Landry Jones does the same, checking to Harris.

11. Draw to Jordan Hall. It was a nice run.

12. Landry finds Bryce Davis. Sean Spence on the “tackle.”

13. Another draw to Hall.

Big T
08-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Cont... (Alex Kozora) last one from Friday's night practice:

14. Jones hits David Paulson on the left side. Flag was thrown away from the ball. But the refs take a very, “Whose Line Is It Anyway” approach to it. The flags don’t really matter.

15. Brendon Kay mops up with the final snap of the night. His pass short hops, intended for Danny Coale.

Final Thoughts

- I’ll rave about Tuitt once more. Top notch athlete with a good pass rushing arsenal. Capabale of dipping that shoulder and he has the length and strength to bull.

- Vince Williams dished out some big hits. No surprise though, knowing his game.

- I just don’t see it with Landry Jones. War and Peace is shorter than Jones’ internal clock. He’s either locking onto his reads or not processing information fast enough and is hesitant to pull the trigger. Either one is bad news for a QB. Why keep this guy on the 53 again?

- Tauren Poole has really gone quiet the last three days after a quality first practice in pads. Maysonet and Harris have looked better. But the situation is very much up in the air.

- I am not certain but I do not believe Matt Spaeth participated in team drills. Do not remember seeing him out there. Know for a fact he did not participate in the backs on ‘backers drill. We’ll see where he’s at tomorrow.

- As I mentioned, Emmanuel McCray is just one guy who doesn’t look like he belongs out there. Not seen much good out of him.

- Will Johnson has received a ton of targets in camp. Most of them of the short to intermediate variety, sans the one deeper route than resulted in Troy Polamalu’s interception, but targets are targets. I really don’t know what his snap count could be like in 2014, but he could be a sneaky candidate for say, 25-30 receptions this season. The Steelers are making a big effort to move him around and get him involved.

TarlsQtr
08-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Thanks, T. The best news from the first week for me is no serious injuries!

Big T
08-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks, T. The best news from the first week for me is no serious injuries!

Yessir. Alex Kozora posts those kind of "play by plays" about every practice. I'll post his stuff from yesterday's here in a bit.

Big T
08-03-2014, 02:09 PM
By Alex Kozora

My notes from day seven of Pittsburgh Steelers’ training camp at St. Vincent College.

- We’ll go through my notes from drills and then hop into the 11 on 11 to finish out today’s observations.

- A good chunk of the offensive lineman were the first onto the field. Maurkice Pouncey, Cody Wallace, Marcus Gilbert, David DeCastro, and Ramon Foster were ones I saw. Looked like they were going through a light drill with one of the coaches roughly 15 minutes before practice.

Jawan Jamison was also one of the first onto the field.

- Injury roundup. Team is getting healthier but a few new players sat out. Heath Miller sat out for an unknown reason. Possibly a maintenance day. Steve McLendon also was not available, and I didn’t see him anywhere on the field. Could’ve been an excused absence but that’s just speculation. Shaquille Richardson was in the stretch line with the team but did not practice due to a groin injury. Darrius Heyward-Bey remains out and each day, his already slim chances seem to dissipate.

Jordan Zumwalt and Rob Blanchflower remain out though both worked out on the side. Jog down the field, and then walk backwards across it. Repeated that a few times.

Dri Archer, Matt Spaeth, Michael Palmer, Eric Waters, and Justin Brown, all returned after missing just one practice. Archer still was wearing a wrap on his left leg, but as the afternoon indicated, it didn’t slow him down one bit.

As I tweeted out, Will Johnson was limping heavily as he made his way to a golf cart to escort him off the field. We’ll see where he’s at tomorrow. No trainers were with him.

- Second-team offensive line: Mike Adams, Chris Hubbard, Cody Wallace, Bryant Browning, and Guy Whimper. Adams and Whimper flip each day.

- Third-team offensive line: Whimper, Wesley Johnson, Chris Elkins, Will Simmons, Emmanuel McCray

- Return drill. In no particular order: Markus Wheaton, Justin Brown, Danny Coale, Lance Moore, Martavis Bryant, Dri Archer, Jordan Hall, and Jawan Jamison also got action as a return man.

- New albeit brief drill for the offensive line in positional work. Two lineman chest pass a medicine ball as they move laterally for five or ten yards.

- For the first time all camp, the QB/trash can competition was in full force. Your totals.

Todd Haley: 2
Brendon Kay: 2
Landry Jones: 1
Bruce Gradkowski: 0

On his last attempt, Haley nearly had a third but the ball rimmed out.

Ben Roethlisberger didn’t participate, standing next to the trash can instead. His explanation? “They’re playing for the right to play the champ!”

After one of the passes bounced into the throng of fans in the VIP section along the sideline, Big Ben played catch with a little kid. Ben would toss him the ball and the first couple times, the kid couldn’t make the catch.

“We’ll get this,” Roethlisberger assured.

A try or two later, the two connected. Cool moment. Always hard to judge a man from afar, but Roethlisberger genuinely seems like a changed man, definitely for the better.

- As they have all throughout camp, the offensive line continued to work on their bucket steps for the zone blocking scheme.

- Martavis Bryant was grouped with C.J. Goodwin, Danny Coale, Kashif Moore, and Lanear Sampson in drills. That indicates Derek Moye is running ahead of him. For now, at least. Nothing to panic over.

- Linebackers and running backs were pitted against each other again today. But instead of pass rushing, the linebackers were asked to cover the pass. Didn’t do a play-by-play, just wanted to get a strong look at the players.

The clear winner here is Dri Archer. We knew he was fast and we’ve seen it in action, to an extent. But the play that stuck out the most, the moment where it really sunk in as to how fast this kid is, happened when Archer made a grab in the left flat and motored down the left sideline. Seemingly at about half speed.

Lawrence Timmons was in coverage and he charges hard, with an angle, at Archer. And I mean, full speed from Timmons. Cheetah chasing down a gazelle, Kozora seeing Matthews, type of speed. Couldn’t catch him. And that was Archer at a leisurely pace.

Archer made all three grabs against Timmons including a pretty catch over his shoulder near the far sideline. Have a video of it. Will upload it in a little bit. The upload speeds at St Vincent nor McDonald’s aren’t very charitable.

Sean Spence should’ve had an interception but it hits him in the chest and falls to the ground. Does ten pushups right there on the field.

Vince Williams uses this as another excuse to hit running backs. Physical, looking to press and re-route. That’s his style.

We saw what Howard Jones could do as a pass rusher, and today, we saw a little bit of his coverage ability. Showed the ability to flip his hips and on one occasion, got his head around and knocked a pass away.

Le’Veon Bell had a solid outing, giving Ryan Shazier all he could handle. Bell is quick out of his breaks.

Let’s just say LeGarrette Blount’s hands are suspect at best. A drop in drills today. That’s at least his second of camp. Not a good option to be the third down back.

Cont...

Big T
08-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Cont... (Alex Kozora)

- During one of the special team’s periods, the team worked on recovering onside kicks as the kicking and returning team. For the latter, a coach would roll the football in the grass, causing it to skip up the player who would run in and secure the ball.

For the former, the drill involved the player waiting for a coach to toss the ball into the air to himself, signifying the kick. The player would then launch himself into a tackling dummy atop a foam padding. This should represent a player “blowing up” one of the return men to create the opportunity for a recovery.

I pray that was clear enough to get my point across. Getting rained on and then baking in the sun is not the best time.

- First-team punt coverage unit. Robert Golden the upback. Others I saw. David Paulson, Will Johnson, Sean Spence, Michael Palmer, Chris Carter, and Terence Garvin. Antwon Blake and Shamarko Thoms were used as one set of gunners while I saw Ross Ventrone and Brice McCain as the other pair.

- Second-team punt coverage unit. Tauren Poole the upback. Jordan Dangerfield, Vince Williams, Arthur Moats, Brian Arnfelt, and Bryce Davis. I actually don’t think Davis was long snapping but I could be wrong. Those who saw time at gunner: Devin Smith, Isaiah Green, Derek Moye, and even Markus Wheaton.

- There were at least two false starts this period. Once by one of the gunners and the other coming on the line.

- Dri Archer fielded punts but for the first time all camp, Antonio Brown and Markus Wheaton were also given opportunities.

- Brad Wing’s hang times are back today: 4.89, 4.67, 4.59, 4.33, 4.25, 4.43, 4.70, 4.33, 5.12. The guy has a big leg and the hangtimes were great today. All nine punts were “NFL quality” hangtimes.

- Offensive line didn’t go one on one with the defensive line but they were in pairs to pick up stunts.

- Couple of notes from the 7 on 7 late in practice.

Martavis Bryant flashed. Got his arms extended well away from his body on a diving catch in the end zone/ But on the next play, Todd Haley had to motion to the rookie receiver to reduce his split. The nuances of the game like those is what is going to hold him back, even if the “good” to his game is awfully pretty.

- It was supposed to be a non-contact drill, but Isaiah Green rammed his shoulder into Lanear Sampson, sending the receiver sprawling into the Earth.

- Chris Carter briefly worked on his rush off the edge after practice. Had his shirt off. The guy is ripped.

- Veteran Lance Moore hung around with the young receivers after practice, working with Justin Brown, Sampson, and C.J. Goodwin. Friend said he spent a good 20 minutes with Bryant the other day, too. Love to see the vet passing on his knowledge.

- Ike Taylor, Brice McCain, and Cortez Allen all stayed after to catch out of the jugs machine. Ike has done this often during camp. Can’t say his stone hands are for a lack of trying.

Big T
08-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Cont... (Alex Kozora):

- Let’s get into the 11 on 11.

First Installment

- This was a situational drill, the Steelers working on red zone football. Ball placed at the 20.

1. Matt Spaeth pulls as the lead blocker for Le’Veon Bell. With McLendon out, Cam Thomas slid over to play the nose. Stephon Tuitt ran as first team LDE.

2. Another handoff to Bell. Cortez Allen had the “tackle” as they weren’t going to the ground in this period.

3. Shotgun, another one of those half tosses to Dri Archer who finds a crease on the right side and explodes through.

4. Draw to Blount. Notables on the second team defense. Moats at LOLB, Carter at ROLB. Green and Blake were the outside corners while McCain manned the slot.

5. Inside zone to 27.

6. Handoff to Tauren Poole ends in a loud thud. Couldn’t tell by who. Thomas was the second-team SS.

7. Defensive line consists of Ethan Hemer at left end, Daniel McCullers at nose, and Nick Williams at right end. Poole gets the carry off the right side.

8. Draw to Miguel Maysonet for a medium pickup. Was paying attention to Howard Jones who did a nice job shedding his block. Think it came at the expense of David Paulson.

9. Another draw to Maysonet. Daniel McCullers, working against Bryant Browning, sticks his big paw out to help clog the running lane.

10. Run off left tackle with Jordan Hall receiving the carry. Lawrence Timmons ends it with a loud thud.

11. Wesley Johnson and Will Simmons have entered as the second-team left tackle and right guard, replacing Mike Adams and Browning. Hall gets the carry and is up-ended one or two yards past the line.

12. Josh Harris records his first carry. Will Simmons did a nice job to stick to his block.

13. Outside zone to Harris. Vince Williams crushes him as Harris flails to the turf in this “no tackling” drill. Monster hit.

14. Third-team line is in. Johnson, Browning, Elkins, Simmons, McCray. Jamison run.

15. And to round it out, Jamison gets another carry.

- I stayed for a few extra minutes after practice as some of the players hung around to sign autographs. Sitting on the hill after getting some food, a group of kids ran up the hill past me, beaming after getting Antonio Brown to sign for them. Reminds you of why training camp is the best. No more intimate setting than this.

Second Installment

1. Shark open up as the first team strong safety and Troy Polamalu as the free. Still can’t figure out what they’re doing with the position. Massive rotation. Ben Roethlisberger hits Bell on a swing route.

2. Big Ben checks to Bell. Watched Kelvin Beachum working against Jarvis Jones and 68 won, mirroring with ease.

3. Backside fade from Ben complete to 84. Nothing Cortez Allen could do to defend it. Stephon Tuitt was looped into the “A” or “B” gap.

4. Robert Golden now the FS, Will Allen at strong. Roethlisberger ties to hit Matt Spaeth on a hot, but Allen breaks it up.

5. New wrinkle. Dri Archer is motioned from wide receiver into the backfield, joining LeGarrette Blount. The rookie back runs into the right flat and Ben looks his way but Archer drops it.

“Come on 13, catch the ball!” Ben exclaims, a bit frustrated.

Watched Marcus Gilbert versus Jason Worilds. Worilds can’t dip the edge and 77 puts him into the ground.

6. Roethlisberger overthrows Justin Brown although Brown seemed to slow down on his route. Brice McCain had the coverage.

7. Landry Jones running with the second team. His first attempt misses wide of David Paulson in the left flat.

8. Was trying to watch Jordan Dangerfield who lined up in the slot and blitzed. Jones complete to Paulson this time around. Dan Molls on the coverage.

9. Landry Jones misses Martavis Bryant bad enough to strongly suggest there was miscommunication. Dangerfield jumps on the chance, picking it off. He smartly gets up immediately and returns it. Martavis Bryant still has to adapt to the NFL rules of needing to be down by contact, stopping and looking back at his QB before realizing the play isn’t dead.

10. William Gay blitz. Rush is effective and Jones is forced to hit Justin Brown on a drag.

11. Gradkowski finds Kashif Moore. Missed it as I went to record the play but Shamarko Thomas fell over either Moore or Cortez Allen along the sideline. Was slow getting up but remained in the practice before walking off with a slight hobble. Returned for the next 11 on 11 so he should be alright. Nothing to worry about.

Also of note on the play was the aggressive look from the defense. Fake a ILB blitz in the strong side “A” gap and rush from the weak “A” instead. Great way to screw with slide protections.

12. Mesh concept. Gradkowski finds a wide open Lanear Sampson, the concept working perfectly.

13. Brendon Kay finds Bryant deep down the right sideline. #10 working against 41, a severe mismatch on paper.

14. Kay is dropped by someone, presumably on accident. Don’t think the coaches sounded too happy about it.

15. Vince Williams gets a clean shot at Kay, forcing the former Bearcat to scramble.

Big T
08-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Cont... (Alex Kozara):

Third Installment

- This period was a shorter and more specialized one. Short-yardage work, each play a 3rd and 1.

1. Le’Veon Bell runs hard for the first down. Was keeping an eye on Cam Thomas, who did a nice job anchoring and fighting off blocks.

2. Stuff at the line by a back who I don’t have listed. Heard someone call out praise for Jarvis Jones, who was giving backside help. Came from either Mike Tomlin or Joey Porter.

3. Cam Heyward bench presses off the block and helps stop Blount at the line.

4. Big Ben finds Bell in the flats, complete for a first down.

5. Sean Spence is unblocked, finds running back Tauren Poole, and cuts him. Bryce Davis was the FB, acting as a lead blocker.

6. Spence follows it up with a respectable hit on Miguel Maysonet. Offense did pick up the first down, though.

- Woman sitting behind me was discussing with someone what “BFD” in a text could mean. The friend suggesting something to do with “best friends.” Not quite.

Fourth Installment

- Second time today the offense was in situational red zone. Ball again placed at the 20.

1. Roethlisberger swings it out to Dri Archer who has the edge and runs into the end zone. Again, this is a no tackling drill so the offense is going to look pretty good.

2. Outside zone run to Bell.

3. Roethlisberger tries to connect with Markus Wheaton but the pass is contested. Ryan Shazier nearly comes up with the interception off the bounce but the pass falls incomplete.

4. Big Ben complete to Matt Spaeth. But that’s not the story.

Was watching Chris Carter versus Kelvin Beachum the whole way. As Carter tries to come around the edge, Ramon Foster provides support and blasts Carter off balanced and into the ground. I looked for the throw at this point but by the time my eyes returned back to Carter, he and Beachum started going at it. Skirmish broke out.

5. Power O, David DeCastro pulling right to left. Bell with the carry.

6. Ben Roethlisberger wants to throw the slant but it isn’t open. Chucks a fade into the end zone, basically throwing the ball away.

7. Bruce Gradkowski running with the second team. Tauren Poole with the run. Terence Garvin with the thud.

8. Gradkowski throws behind Moye. Howard Jones couldn’t dip past Mike Adams, who wins the battle easily.

9. Archer on a draw.

10. 5 incomplete to Poole, I think. Couldn’t tell for sure. Had my binoculars on Nick Williams that play.

11. Power O from left to right. Chris Hubbard and David Paulson leading the charge. Miguel Maysonet makes a nice cut and gets upfield for a good gain before the whistle sounds.

12. Gradkowski throws a jump ball for Martavis Bryant. Covered by Cortez Allen, the rookie receiver reaches out with one hand and brings the pass in. Big cheer from the crowd.

13. Brendon Kay is picked off by Vic So’oto, who read the screen well and made a play on the ball. He takes off to the end zone, with Kay giving chase before giving up. So’oto reaches the goalline before turning back. I don’t blame him.

14. Chris Carter pops Jordan Hall in the backfield.

15. Draw to Josh Harris. Good counter as both inside linebackers blitz and are out of position. Harris ends up in the end zone.

- Last play-by-play. Famous – sometimes infamous – goalline drill.

1. Playaction and the anxious defense bites hard. It’s an easy touchdown pass in the right flat from Roethlisberger to Spaeth.

2. Miguel Maysonet is stopped just short of the goalline.

3. Power O, DeCastro pulling right to left, sticking to Garvin on the edge. Poole runs off his outside hip and has an easy path to the end zone. Another skirmish breaks out with Maurkice Pouncey a possible instigator. At the very least, he was at the center of it all.

4. Defense responds. Shamarko Thomas pops Miguel Maysonet with a big shot. Host of other bodies help bring the back down.

5. Power O again with 66 leading. Josh Harris is in tow, scoring.

6. Chance for the offense to win but there’s a fumbled exchange between Ben and Jordan Hall.

- Your final tally. Offense – 3. Defense – 3. No ties! Play on!

- Some final thoughts.

- Expect to see a good mix of Power O this season with DeCastro pulling. Team has done it repeatedly in camp. They’ve always been a right-handed team, but expect that to change because of Decastro’s athleticism. Glad the team isn’t being stubborn about it.

- As I alluded to earlier, Martavis Bryant can wow fans with his spectacular grabs, but he’s raw and misses on a lot of details. That’s going to hold him back. Better practice than where he was at the other day but I’m not exactly drinking the Kool-Aid either.

- As I noted before camp started, Cam Thomas is the #2 nose tackle. Not McCullers or Hebron Fangupo. I like McCullers chances of making the 53 more than I did entering camp but for that reason, I don’t think it’s a lock the team will carry 74 or 92.

- Arthur Moats appeared to play strictly as the LOLB today. Nothing at ROLB with Jarvis back in the lineup.

- Sean Spence had a nice day. Nose was around the ball. Ditto for Vince Williams, one of the hardest hitters on this team.

- Got a better look at Jordan Dangerfield in coverage today, something I’ve been anxious to do. Looked pretty good. Stays low in his pedal and flips his hips quickly. I’ve got nothing bad to say about him.

- Brad Wing is having a good camp. Family first, of course, but Adam Podlesh should return soon before the Steelers give Wing the job. Games are the most important barometer, of course.

- One play on the goalline put a new idea of concern over McCullers in my head. He can be cut pretty easy. Falls like a house of cards. Not going to be able to avoid it.

Another thought though is that he actually is a pretty good pass rusher. No moves but once 350 pounds gets moving, it ain’t stopping. Will be able to collapse the pocket and that’s a huge advantage for the defense.

Steeltrap
08-03-2014, 02:26 PM
I hear what your saying about McCullers but his ability to maybe be able to collapse the pocket and stop a QB from stepping into his pass attempts is something that we need. Got to keep tabs on him and his development.

Big T
08-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Initial training camp depth chart released:

LATROBE, Pa. - It has been released because the NFL requires one in advance of the preseason, and it can change in an instant because that's just the nature of things at this stage of the process.

With that in mind, the Steelers have released their first depth chart of 2014, and mostly it serves as confirmation of what already is known.

On offense, Markus Wheaton is listed as the starting wide receiver opposite Antonio Brown, with the rest of the starters on that unit being exactly as expected.

Staying with the receivers, Lance Moore is listed as the primary backup to Wheaton, and Justin Brown is the primary backup to Antonio Brown. Based on this, it would appear that as of the issuing of this initial depth chart Justin Brown is currently the team's No. 4 receiver.

Darrius Heyward-Bey and then Martavis Bryant are behind Justin Brown, and Derek Moye and Kashif Moore are behind Lance Moore.

Along the offensive line, the backups are Mike Adams at left tackle, Chris Hubbard at left guard, Cody Wallace at center, Bryant Browning at right guard, and Guy Whimper at right tackle.

Michael Palmer is the No. 3 tight end, behind Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth; LeGarrette Blount is behind Le'Veon Bell at running back, with Dri Archer currently No. 3 and Tauren Poole No. 4. Will Johnson is listed as the starting fullback, even though he has been spending the bulk of his time this camp working with the tight ends.

The starting 11 on defense is the same group that opened minicamp, with rookie Ryan Shazier at inside linebacker next to Lawrence Timmons, and Mike Mitchell as the starting free safety despite being on the physically unable to perform list.

Rookie Stephon Tuitt is Cam Heyward's backup at one defensive end spot, with Brian Arnfeldt behind Cam Thomas at the other end. Hebron Fangupo is listed as the No. 2 nose tackle on this initial depth chart behind Steve McLendon.

Vince Williams is listed behind Shazier at the LILB position, with Sean Spence at No. 3 there. Terence Garvin is behind Timmons, with rookie Jordan Zumwalt the No. 3 at that spot. Chris Carter, behind starter Jason Worilds at LOLB, and Arthur Moats, behind Jarvis Jones at ROLB, are the backups at outside linebacker.

At cornerback, it's William Gay behind Cortez Allen at LCB and Brice McCain behind Ike Taylor at RCB. Antwon Blake is third at LCB, and Isaiah Green is third at RCB. As for the safety positions, Shamarko Thomas is listed as the No. 2 strong safety behind Troy Polamalu, with Will Allen as the No. 2 free safety behind Mitchell, which explains why Allen lines up with the starters instead of Thomas as Mitchell continues to work his way back from the PUP list.

At punter, Adam Podlesh and Brad Wing are listed as co-starters. Archer is the kickoff returner, with Antonio Brown as the punt returner. Archer is No. 2 at punt returner, and Wheaton is No. 2 at kickoff returner.

The Steelers' preseason opener will be against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium on Saturday, Aug. 9, and the next week's depth chart could include some changes based on what happens that night.

http://m.steelers.com/s/30861/260?itemPos=1&itemUri=-1771147341%2F8101363121438123299479349

Big T
08-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Keith butler breaks down the LBs:

LATROBE, Pa. - The Steelers have No. 1 draft picks aplenty at linebacker, but position coach Keith Butler is also thankful to have former Buffalo Bills sixth-rounder Arthur Moats available this summer at Saint Vincent College.

"We need him," Butler said of Moats, a fifth-year pro who signed with the Steelers as a relatively low-profile unrestricted free agent. "We need him in a bad way because of the depth at that (outside linebacker) position. He provides us depth at that position. He's done well at outside linebacker."

Moats did well during the much-anticipated backs-on-backers drill that highlighted Monday's first practice in pads, and then also in the 11-on-11 work that followed.

And while more eyes might have been on 2013 No. 1 pick Jarvis Jones or 2014 top pick Ryan Shazier out on the practice field, Moats' performance did not go unnoticed or unappreciated in the film room.

"We have a lot of depth inside," Butler continued. "(Moats) helps us outside in terms of depth. I'm letting Terence Garvin play both (inside and outside). I'm letting (sixth-round pick Jordan) Zumwalt play both a little bit, but right now I feel like we're better with just keeping Moats outside and let him learn that position.

"I think he's more adept at that position."

Butler also offered a quick assessment of the Steelers' more high-profile starters at the position:

On Jarvis Jones:
"Jarvis looks a lot better. He's confident in what he's doing. He's still making a mistake every now and then, but he's very sudden, very quick. He's got great short-area quickness. He just has to learn to keep himself out of positions where he gets in a foot race. I think last year he was doing more thinking than he should have when he came off the ball. He was trying to do what we were requiring him to do in terms of playing within the framework of the defense. I think he knows a little bit more about the framework of the defense this year. He knows what he can do and what he can't do."

On Jason Worilds:
"He's still getting better. He has a lot of talent but Jason has to decide whether he wants to be good or not and he has to do the things he's got to do to be good, and that's work his butt off in practice all the time. I think he's willing to do that. He's been willing to do that in years past. It's just now a lot more is on it than it's been in years past. He wants to do well. He has to do the things in practice that are going to get him where he needs to go."

On Ryan Shazier:
"He's quick, and he's smart. He did a lot of good things pass-rushing when he was at Ohio State. We have some things in there to utilize his blitzing ability along with Lawrence Timmons' blitzing ability.

On Lawrence Timmons:
"He's a great example to the young guys around him. He's always running to the ball. You look at him and (defensive end) Cam Heyward; they're always running to the ball. No. 50 (Shazier) is starting to pick that up a little bit and run to the ball with them. You turn on the film and you see those guys 30 yards down the field trying to get to the ball, and Lawrence always does that. I'm pleased with him, and I'm glad we have him."

http://m.steelers.com/s/30861/260?itemPos=3&itemUri=-1771147341%2F583151412612902112124591355

KemoTherapy
08-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Glad to hear the updates( it is a slow time of year after all lol) with wh's doing well and who isn't. I'm not a fan of Carter or Paulson. I'd like to see them give Howard Jones the development spot that Carter has been taking up and flush Paulson down the old tidy bowl. Big Mac sounds like he needs some time to develop as he doesn't actually have a lot of football experience. Oh we'll, HOF game on tonight to get a little bit of a football fix. Almost forgot, Vince Williams isn't going away quietly into the sunset. I think he'll see the field this season at so,e point.

Big T
08-03-2014, 06:52 PM
They were doing redzone at the end of practice. Hand off to the right to Bell, Shazier comes blasting through a hole and blows up Bell for a loss. Great play by Shazier but he came up limping pretty good. He tried to walk it off but ultimately went to the sideline to get attended to. Looked like the discomfort was his calf/knee. Got his knee wrapped but he stayed on the field, standing, though he was limping.

@jimwexell: Tomlin on Shazier: nothing of any significance.

@jimwexell: Tomlin on Shazier II: little boo boo.

Big T
08-03-2014, 06:53 PM
I'll upload a bunch of pics tomorrow from the last three days of practice. Had a pretty ****** camera but some turned out pretty well.

SuperSteelers
08-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Oh we'll, HOF game on tonight to get a little bit of a football fix.

Garbage teams playing. I'll pass and watch some baseball.

KemoTherapy
08-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Garbage teams playing. I'll pass and watch some baseball.

I get a steady diet of Bills games every Sunday at 1 o'clock because of my location so I'm used to crappy games. The football addiction is a hard mistress lol.

SuperSteelers
08-03-2014, 09:20 PM
The football addiction is a hard mistress lol.

Not so much for me unless I have money on the game.

Big T
08-04-2014, 01:12 AM
Steelers notebook: Bryant shows flashes of big-time potential
August 4, 2014 12:00 AM
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When the Steelers selected tall and speedy receiver Martavis Bryant in the fourth round of the NFL draft, they believed he could be a threat in the red zone as a rookie and eventually develop into a player they could use in all situations.

Over the weekend, Bryant flashed his red-zone credentials when he made a one-handed grab for a touchdown Saturday in practice, one of many fine receptions this 6-foot-4, 211-pound speedster from Clemson made the past two days.

The next goal for Bryant is to do it on a consistent basis.

"Obviously he made a few plays, but he's a big guy so we expect him to consistently make big-guy plays," coach Mike Tomlin said. "I'm interested in him developing a complete game."

Bryant, 22, had a knack for catching touchdowns at Clemson. He had 25 in his three-year career, including 13 as a senior.

"I've always been good in the red zone in college," Bryant said. "Coming into the league I know it will take more work and more practice to get better. I'm just going to go out and prepare."

Bryant knows his playing time will be determined by how well he picks up the playbook.

"If they don't trust me I'm not going to play," he said.

Linemen make adjustments

NFL officials visited training camp this week and one of the offseason rules changes has to do with cut blocking. The new rule prohibits players from throwing a cut block on the side or back of a defender's legs. The offensive lineman must place his head across the defender's legs so the defender can see him before throwing the block. Also, offensive linemen are not allowed to roll their body after executing the block in an attempt to stop the defender.

"That's going to be one of the biggest adjustments," left guard Ramon Foster said. "You have to clearly make sure you have your head across because it would [stink] to have a 20-yard run negated by one step."

Center Maurkice Pouncey is all for the new rule. He suffered a season-ending knee injury in the first game of the 2013 regular season because a cut block by teammate and right guard David DeCastro was not executed properly.

"I totally agree," Pouncey said. "After going through this injury, I don't wish this on anyone. If you take a cut block away and it saves a defensive lineman, then I'm all for it."

Quick hits

First-round pick Ryan Shazier limped off the field after making a tackle on Le'Veon Bell near the end of practice. Trainers wrapped his right knee in ice, but Tomlin said the injury was not serious. "A little boo boo," he said. ... Tomlin had no update on when punter Adam Podlesh will come to camp. Podlesh has missed the first eight practices because his wife is expecting. ... Backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski led the first-team offense because Ben Roethlisberger had the day off. ... Nose tackle Steve McLendon had a second consecutive day off. ... The Steelers practice today and then have Tuesday off, their first off day in a week.

Steeltrap
08-04-2014, 11:22 AM
I'm looking for Bryant to continue to develop throughout the year. So by week # 10 at the latest, hopefully we can see him in the red zone packages. Give the defenses even more to be concerned with. If he can just do that for this year, that would be a success for us.

K Train
08-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Podlesh missing all the practices isnt the way to win the punter job lol

I am team Wing anyway

Big T
08-04-2014, 01:31 PM

I am team Wing anyway

He's looked good in camp

TarlsQtr
08-04-2014, 02:36 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/08/04/Steelers-activate-safety-Mike-Mitchell-Polamalu-s-new-partner/stories/201408040134

Mike Mitchell has been activated off the PUP list.

TarlsQtr
08-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Wow, I would not mention it if he was not a Pitt guy but Jon Baldwin was just cut by the Niners.

http://triblive.com/sports/nfl/6553811-74/buffalo-bon-jovi#axzz39QVPjTWT

And replaced by an undrafted free-agent rookie that was cut by Dallas last week. (L'Damien Washington).

K Train
08-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Wow, I would not mention it if he was not a Pitt guy but Jon Baldwin was just cut by the Niners.

http://triblive.com/sports/nfl/6553811-74/buffalo-bon-jovi#axzz39QVPjTWT
Yeah he is pretty terrible

Big T
08-04-2014, 03:47 PM
@SteelersPRBurt: Entering 2014, @steelers QB @_BigBen7 has at least 1 TD pass in 29 cons. games - 2nd longest active streak & 6th longest in @nfl since 1960.

LatrobePA
08-04-2014, 04:17 PM
@SteelersPRBurt: Entering 2014, @steelers QB @_BigBen7 has at least 1 TD pass in 29 cons. games - 2nd longest active streak & 6th longest in @nfl since 1960.

"pay the man"

Big T
08-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Here's a bunch of pics from Friday, Saturday, and Sunday's practices (Some are kind of blurry since I didnt have the greatest camera):

Zumwalt and Shazier signing

http://i57.tinypic.com/2rpfymw.jpg

Blount signing

http://i62.tinypic.com/sdii5t.jpg

Martavis Bryant

http://i62.tinypic.com/10ib677.jpg

Ben and AB throwing the ball around

http://i60.tinypic.com/2czf47t.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2uq2a2w.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ugnns9.jpg

Mike Mitchell

http://i57.tinypic.com/w8lu7d.jpg

Lance Moore

http://i60.tinypic.com/30w1riv.jpg

Wheaton

http://i59.tinypic.com/dcbif4.jpg

Tomlin

http://i57.tinypic.com/2pyqo7d.jpg

Big T
08-04-2014, 04:45 PM
AB wearing his Pro Bowl shirt under his practice jersey

http://i57.tinypic.com/n4d4bq.jpg

Recievers catching punts

http://i60.tinypic.com/25oxnwi.jpg

Wheaton

http://i62.tinypic.com/avj42p.jpg

Bryant

http://i60.tinypic.com/im15i8.jpg

Archer

http://i59.tinypic.com/ws4m5h.jpg

Bryant dropping a deuce

http://i62.tinypic.com/htziae.jpg

Mike Sellers about to eat Dri Archer

http://i58.tinypic.com/246nvc9.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/35micgp.jpg

D warmups

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lc21q1.jpg

Mike Sellers lookin like he should suit up on D

http://i62.tinypic.com/10cm0q8.jpg

Big T
08-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Gilbert is in by far the best shape of his career

http://i61.tinypic.com/1z6wex5.jpg

FlatsSteeler's favorite player

http://i57.tinypic.com/n6s095.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/29wjrbc.jpg

Ben handoff to Archer

http://i62.tinypic.com/10ng8l2.jpg

Ben playing catch with a kid

http://i62.tinypic.com/2jc8r4w.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/j121bl.jpg

Bryant

http://i60.tinypic.com/1586q6o.jpg

Wheaton

http://i61.tinypic.com/64jvkg.jpg

JJ and Bell

http://i58.tinypic.com/v3ozmb.jpg

Timmons, Shazier, JJ, Heyward

http://i59.tinypic.com/33vm2bo.jpg

Big T
08-04-2014, 04:46 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/otnkuq.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/av4twl.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/1zqplra.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2s7xp46.jpg

Archer catching a kick

http://i57.tinypic.com/23rx2mb.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/25gazjl.jpg

Big Dan McCullers

http://i62.tinypic.com/sql4kj.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2igc6t5.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/o5syms.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/10wvalv.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2m4w3gp.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/nbu0r5.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2hft2jr.jpg

Tuitt

http://i58.tinypic.com/2w6rk2v.jpg

Blurry Shazier and Timmons

http://i57.tinypic.com/9l93j8.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/112cp3p.jpg

K Train
08-04-2014, 04:50 PM
those are sexy MLBs and Tuitt is pulling off that 91

Big T
08-04-2014, 04:58 PM
those are sexy MLBs and Tuitt is pulling off that 91

For sure. Tuitt is also doing it justice in camp. They're gonna have a hard time keeping him off the field with how well he's been playing him camp. He got praise yesterday from Peezy on an inside swim move in a D line vs O line one-on-one drill. He's so quick off the snap.

ChucktownSteeler
08-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks for posting!

KemoTherapy
08-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Somebody please point out the buffet table to Archer.

Big T
08-04-2014, 05:30 PM

I am team Wing anyway

@jimwexell: Brad Wing hitting some rockets today.

@Alex_Kozora: Wing is booming punts. Excellent hangtimes, too.

@jimwexell: Wing's last punt had 5.7 second hang time. Any experts out there who can comment?

@ScottBrown_ESPN: Brad Wing showed serious hang time in special teams period.

Big T
08-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Somebody please point out the buffet table to Archer.

He's not as "little" as you might think. He's short but he's put together pretty well. He's tearing up camp though. Making people look foolish on the field.

K Train
08-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Who gets bigger after football? Mike Sellers, thats who

K Train
08-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Stealing some of these pics btw

ChucktownSteeler
08-04-2014, 08:35 PM
@jimwexell: Brad Wing hitting some rockets today.

@Alex_Kozora: Wing is booming punts. Excellent hangtimes, too.

@jimwexell: Wing's last punt had 5.7 second hang time. Any experts out there who can comment?

@ScottBrown_ESPN: Brad Wing showed serious hang time in special teams period.

I hope we stick with Wing. I am tired of the turnstile at punter. Shouldn't be that hard to find a decent punter.

FlatsSteeler
08-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Great Pics "T".......Thanks for posting them......

KevinE
08-04-2014, 11:33 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/u3a4upyb.jpg

KevinE
08-04-2014, 11:33 PM
Thanks T for the updates and pics! Badass!

Big T
08-05-2014, 02:26 AM
Great Pics "T".......Thanks for posting them......

Yes sir. Glad to do it. I'll most likely be heading back out there the 13th/14th to watch the joint practices with the Bills. I'll make sure and post more pics if I do.

Big T
08-05-2014, 02:27 AM
Thanks T for the updates and pics! Badass!

Happy to do it

Big T
08-05-2014, 02:30 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/u3a4upyb.jpg

He's really made some fantastic grabs so far in camp. He's got crazy potential but he needs work on the more intricate details of the position pertaining to footwork and route running. Once he gets that **** down he should be a nice contributor.

Some of the catches he made on traffic this weekend were damn impressive. We haven't had a big man that could go up and pluck it in a while. Looks like he may potentially be that guy in the future. Justin Brown looked good too.

Big T
08-05-2014, 02:31 AM
Stealing some of these pics btw

Lol it's all good

Steeltrap
08-05-2014, 02:46 AM
I've got to admit that I'm excited about the future of our pass catching corps.

Big T
08-05-2014, 02:58 AM
I've got to admit that I'm excited about the future of our pass catching corps.

I'm very optimistic as well. I really believe that Wheaton is going to be everything we thought he'd be after he was drafted. He looked so good the few days I was in camp. Catches everything, fast, quick, runs good routes, smooth. Really looking forward to seeing him in games

JackLambert
08-05-2014, 11:37 AM
T, how do the CBs look? That's my only real position concern (and maybe why the WRs look so good).

If we get good corner play this year we could win the conference.

Steeltrap
08-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Good point..............

How do the cornerbacks look????

SuperSteelers
08-05-2014, 04:12 PM
T, how do the CBs look? That's my only real position concern (and maybe why the WRs look so good).

If we get good corner play this year we could win the conference.

I wouldn't worry about them as long as the front seven can generate some kind of pass rush. The Steelers never expected their corners to be elite and cover receivers all over the field. Just make the tackle immediately after the catch.

Big T
08-05-2014, 04:30 PM
I actually think the corners look pretty good. Ike can still cover AB, which is a good sign lol, Cortez got abused by AB a couple times but overall has looked good. Gay is Gay, good slot CB, don't want to see him outside against bigger receivers. Antwon Blake was actually a pleasant surprise. He looked fast and pretty fluid. He took 1st team reps opposite Cortez yesterday with Ike getting the day off. Gay was in the slot.

Like SuperSteelers said, an improved front seven should do wonders for the secondary. Mike Mitchell should as well. I don't think people really understand how absolutely terrible Ryan Clark was last year. People harp on Ike so much, some being justified, but Clark deserves a ton of blame. He was out of position soooooo much last year. He bit on inside stuff so much. Mike Mitchell is a more traditional center fielder than Clark, and should really help the secondary. Really looking forward to seeing him play.

coldrolled
08-05-2014, 04:40 PM
I actually think the corners look pretty good. Ike can still cover AB, which is a good sign lol, Cortez got abused by AB a couple times but overall has looked good. Gay is Gay, good slot CB, don't want to see him outside against bigger receivers. Antwon Blake was actually a pleasant surprise. He looked fast and pretty fluid. He took 1st team reps opposite Cortez yesterday with Ike getting the day off. Gay was in the slot.

Like SuperSteelers said, an improved front seven should do wonders for the secondary. Mike Mitchell should as well. I don't think people really understand how absolutely terrible Ryan Clark was last year. People harp on Ike so much, some being justified, but Clark deserves a ton of blame. He was out of position soooooo much last year. He bit on inside stuff so much. Mike Mitchell is a more traditional center fielder than Clark, and should really help the secondary. Really looking forward to seeing him play.

Plus, If Mitchell and Troy can play back. Not helping the ILB (Williams). Maybe blitzing a bit with JJ off the edge. things will look way better.

Big T
08-05-2014, 05:28 PM
@Ken_Laird: RT @RapSheet: The #Steelers are signing WR James Shaw, source says, a local product from... The Pittsburgh Power of the Arena League. Cool.

K Train
08-05-2014, 07:17 PM
by Dale Lolley
Monday, August 04, 2014

After six days of hitting, it's time to rest

Ryan Shazier said his injured right knee is OK. But he was limping around on it pretty noticeably Monday afternoon during practice.

After six consecutive days of live hitting, this team needs a break.

Mike Tomlin will begin to scale things back a little now that the first preseason game is now in sight at the end of the week. I don't expect the Steelers to go quite as hard when they return to practice Wednesday after taking Tuesday off.

@ Ike Taylor kind of questioned Mike Mitchell's hitting ability when I spoke with him today. Not so much questioned it, but said they haven't seen it yet since Mitchell had missed the first week of practices with a groin injury.

Mitchell was activated off the PUP list Monday and promptly made the first tackle of the live running drill, dropping Le'Veon Bell in his tracks.

Later, he leaped high above Markus Wheaton at the goal line to knock down a Ben Roethlisberger pass.

He should be a welcome addition to this defense.

@ In addition to Shazier, Jarvis Jones (groin), Steve McLendon (illness) and Darrius Heyward-Bey (concussion) sat out with injuries Monday.

Taylor and Pouncey were given the day off for maintenance.

It's probably the first time in his career that Taylor has been made to take a maintenance day. He's only ever missed practice when he's been injured.

@ McLendon being out might be the worst thing that happened to Cam Thomas.

He's been at the nose with the first team the last three days and rookie Stephon Tuitt has been at defensive end. Tuitt looks right at home there opposite Cam Heyward.

In fact, you often have to look very closely to figure out which one is which. They are about the same size and body type and Tuitt's No. 91 is awfully similar to Heyward's No. 97.

They're making very similar style plays, as well. Tuitt drove down the line on one play today and held off a blocker with one hand while tackling a running back with the other.

@ Give running back Miguel Maysonet the gold star for taking on the big hit of the day, courtesy of Terance Garvin.

The linebacker came on a blitz up the middle at full speed and Maysonet (5-10, 210), stepped into the void and picked him up in what was a hellacious collision.

@ With Shazier out, Sean Spence moved in with the first team, while Jones was subbed for by Arthur Moats.

@ I feel bad for veteran linebacker Lawrence Timmons. He's been tasked in this camp of working against rookie Dri Archer in one-on-one passing drills.

The speedy Archer has just had his way with Timmons. Today, he caught a ball in the flat, came to a complete stop to freeze Timmons and then burst inside, flying right by him.

Later in the drill, when they had two backs and two backers, Garvin went outside with Archer, yelling, "I got it, I got it." When Archer caught the ball and stutter stepped, Garvin didn't have it any longer. Archer burst down the sideline by himself, leaving Garvin to grasp at air as he yelled obscenities.

@ Archer did put the ball on the ground today in a run drill. He went into the hole, turned and ran completely around some linemen and then burst upfield, only to take a big hit that knocked the ball loose.

I didn't see who hit him thanks to the mass of humanity that was there.

@ The Steelers finished things off with a two-minute drill. Working with Ben Roethlisberger were Antonio Brown, Heath Miller, Archer, Markus Wheaton and Justin Brown. Will Johnson was also in there early on.

They went 63 yards in 1:50 to score on a 4-yard TD pass from Roethlisberger to Antonio Brown.

Bruce Gradkowski led the second unit that included Kashif Moore, Lance Moore, David Paulsen, Derek Moye and running back Tauren Poole.

They reached the 2 after starting at their own 37 with 1:51 on the clock. But Gradkowski's final pass intended for Moye was knocked away.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Im too excited for Tuitt, way too excited. This is the duo of DEs ive wanted all year. Had Tuitt ranked so high and been mocking him to the steelers all year, still cant believe we got him in 2.

Perfect example how camp updates stir up all kinds of emotions. I say bah to Bryant being "unstoppable" but Tuitt fighting off blocks and making arm tackles gives me a chub. I never said i was the most consistent person though. If he can be a day one starter it would be amazing, he has a chance to be better than Hood ever was right out of the gate (low bar)

Big T
08-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Bryant certainly hasn't been "unstoppable" lol. But he's made some fantastic, contested grabs. He's also dropped a couple gimmes and has been inconsistent in the route running department. Really looking forward to seeing him in games.

I agree on Tuitt. Really excited to watch him develop. I'm hoping he tears up the preseason and takes the starting job by week 1. That would be awesome.

K Train
08-05-2014, 07:44 PM
I dont care if Bryant Fauria's-it and catches 10 passes for 6 TDs, thats a win if you ask me. I read hes been unstoppable in the redzone, my initial reaction is SURE, ill believe it when I see it. But Tuitt, I love that man

****in camp reports lol

NeilPatrickBanana
08-05-2014, 09:38 PM
Im too excited for Tuitt, way too excited. This is the duo of DEs ive wanted all year. Had Tuitt ranked so high and been mocking him to the steelers all year, still cant believe we got him in 2.

Perfect example how camp updates stir up all kinds of emotions. I say bah to Bryant being "unstoppable" but Tuitt fighting off blocks and making arm tackles gives me a chub. I never said i was the most consistent person though. If he can be a day one starter it would be amazing, he has a chance to be better than Hood ever was right out of the gate (low bar)

Looking forward to live game action soon! So we can see for ourselves

Of all the beat-net pimping... Archer is the one that gets me most excited. He's potentially something we've never had. He's like that Xmas present bill cowher described... I don't know exactly what it is, but I know it's awesome (anyone remember that?)

K Train
08-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Archer seems to be killing it too. I hope he's getting a lot of reps out of the slot and just receiving in general

Big T
08-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Archer seems to be killing it too. I hope he's getting a lot of reps out of the slot and just receiving in general

Like backs on backers is more weighted towards the linebackers, the RB vs LB coverage drills are weighted toward the RBs... Having said that, Archer made Timmons look silly over and over. It was unreal. One catch in particular saw him coast by Timmons full out sprinting while Archer looked like he was taking a leisurely stroll. He's not just straight line fast. He's got that "Reggie Bush", makes cuts and turns guys around without losing speed, type ability. He's gonna be fun to watch with the ball in his hands.

Big T
08-06-2014, 03:10 AM
Steelers defensive end Tuitt takes first steps toward proving mettle

When rookie defensive end Stephon Tuitt moved up to practice with the Steelers starters over the weekend, he couldn't help but be excited.

The first thing he did was call his mother, Tamara Tuitt-Bartlett, a sheriff's deputy in Gwinnett County, Ga., and noted disciplinarian who once pulled her son out of a high school football practice because he'd left chores undone at home.

“The people I contacted were very excited, but at the same time (starting as a rookie) is not guaranteed,” Tuitt said. “It's just giving a look, showing what I have.”

Still, it might be the first step to Tuitt becoming a NFL regular. He hopes it becomes the milestone that his initial step into football was.

As a freshman at Monroe (Ga.) Area High School, Tuitt was required to take part in preseason weightlifting drills if he wanted to try out for the football team. But he didn't have a ride, and his mom wanted him to stay home and babysit his three brothers.

So Tuitt walked to the workout, covering 11 long miles in the Georgia heat alongside a blacktop highway. He arrived too late to lift but, upon learning how determined the youngster was to play, his coach immediately put him on the junior varsity. His mother relented and allowed him to play.

Now, the former Notre Dame defensive lineman is similarly resolved to not just be a starter, but to be a difference-making star as soon as possible.

“I believe I can be the best defensive lineman in this league. I can, I do and I believe that,” Tuitt said Monday. “But everything will come only with hard work and coach (John) Mitchell's training.”

When the Steelers drafted Tuitt in the second round in May, Mitchell — the defensive line coach — said it was like getting another first-rounder. Tuitt, who had 19.5 sacks in his final two Irish seasons, fell out of the first round partly because of a fractured left foot and a sports hernia that led to him gaining an unwanted 10 to 15 pounds last season.

The 6-foot-5 Tuitt played at an estimated 325 to 330 pounds in 2013, but he weighed 304 at the NFL Combine and the Steelers list him at 303. After losing weight, Tuitt regained the speed that made him an elite pass rusher with 12 sacks two years ago.

“He's a hard, willing worker and he's highly conditioned, and that's a great place to start for a young man,” coach Mike Tomlin said.

“He's shown us a lot of athleticism for a big guy and he's in great shape. He can run all day,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. “He's pretty highly motivated.”

Teammate Cam Heyward sees that, too, saying Tuitt has all the physical tools needed to succeed but must improve his technique — keeping low, working his hands properly and maintaining leverage.

“He's a raw talent right now, but he has all the talent in the world,” Heyward said. “I think he has a lot of explosion. That's the one thing you love about his body frame. He carries it well, and he's able to explode through the line.”

Tuitt said it's this attention to the tiniest details that has most surprised him 10 days into a camp in which he is competing with former Chargers lineman Cam Thomas.

“Size, speed, technique,” said Tuitt, rattling off what's necessary to succeed. “I'd probably say sometimes the talent doesn't even win, it's technique that wins.”

Tuitt already has shown enough that LeBeau said he could start immediately, along with first-round pick Ryan Shazier.

“That's what they brought me here for: to produce and get back this defense (to No. 1),” he said. “That's what I'm here to do, and I'm going to work hard for it. … But like all powerful and well-known defenses, you have to work at it.”

And maybe even walk that extra mile.

http://triblive.com/mobile/6551230-96/tuitt-steelers-camp

Big T
08-06-2014, 03:16 AM
Steelers rookie receiver Bryant staking claim for roster spot

Martavis Bryant has the makings of a serviceable NFL wide receiver.

The fourth-round draft pick's attributes match up with about anyone's. Bryant (6-foot-4, 211 pounds) has a 39-inch vertical jump and has been timed at 4.42 seconds in the 40-yard dash — fifth best among wide receivers at the NFL Combine.

His physical capabilities give him a chance to contribute. Getting there is a question of consistency.

“(Bryant is) another guy with a lot of talent who really needs to refine it into skill,” Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley said. “He's a young guy, but he is big and fast, and he shows a flash every day.”

After stringing together a series of impressive catches Saturday in what Bryant admitted was his best practice with the Steelers, Bryant again had the crowd at Chuck Noll Field buzzing Sunday.

In an 11-on-11 drill, Bryant easily maneuvered past rookie cornerback Lew Toler and lunged for a full-extension, 30-yard catch on a ball thrown by quarterback Bruce Gradkowski.

Bryant said he knows he can't be satisfied this early in camp.

”I don't want to be complacent. I just have to continue to work,” Bryant said Sunday. “(I'm) just working on my routes and becoming independent so they can trust me during the games.”

In the first iteration of the Steelers' 2014 depth chart, Bryant was listed behind Antonio Brown, Justin Brown and Darrius Heyward-Bey, who suffered a concussion Saturday, in the “other” category at the first wide receiver position.

Moving up the ranks and earning a few throws in his direction this season will require more precise route-running and developing the trust that comes from regularly hanging onto the football.

“As (Bryant) starts getting more comfortable and not thinking so much, we'll see the special player he could be,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

A negative on his Combine report was that he has “shaky hands.”

Bryant ran his 40-yard dash one-hundredth of a second faster than fellow Clemson wide receiver and No. 4 overall draft pick Sammy Watkins, but he showed less consistency and body control than his more prolific teammate.

Bryant amassed 828 receiving yards to Watkins' 1,219 during the Tigers' 2013 campaign.

“As I continue to practice and get better, it'll come faster,” Bryant said. “As long as I just keep working hard, everything will fall into place.”

http://triblive.com/mobile/6551254-96/bryant-receiver-steelers

FlatsSteeler
08-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Well it looks like "There's No Getting Around Tuitt".................

Steeltrap
08-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Pretty obvious that Tuitt is going to be a beast. And I for see him as a real leader of the overall team in about a season or two. We stole one.

K Train
08-06-2014, 11:31 AM
Reports of Tuitt are similar to JJ Watt as a rookie.

Watt had 48 tackles, 5.5 sacks, and a hand full of passes swatted down as a rookie.

I was not very high on Watt coming out, thought he would be more like Adam Carriker but hes looking more like a future hall of famer. But i do think Tuitt in 2012 was a better player than Watt ever was at wisconsin, even if injury balooned him to 330 last year I think we might have gotten someone special in the second round.

Not saying hes going to be a 15-20 sacks a year guy, Wade Phillips defense is designed to get him that and attack from the position but I think he will be special.

ChucktownSteeler
08-06-2014, 11:43 AM
I really hope a leader does emerge on the defensive side of the ball, whether it be Tuitt, Shazier, Heyward, whoever. The defense has been void of a leader since Farrior left.

NeilPatrickBanana
08-06-2014, 12:06 PM
I really hope a leader does emerge on the defensive side of the ball, whether it be Tuitt, Shazier, Heyward, whoever. The defense has been void of a leader since Farrior left.

Lawrence Timmons says hi

NeilPatrickBanana
08-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Reports of Tuitt are similar to JJ Watt as a rookie.

Watt had 48 tackles, 5.5 sacks, and a hand full of passes swatted down as a rookie.

I was not very high on Watt coming out, thought he would be more like Adam Carriker but hes looking more like a future hall of famer. But i do think Tuitt in 2012 was a better player than Watt ever was at wisconsin, even if injury balooned him to 330 last year I think we might have gotten someone special in the second round.

Not saying hes going to be a 15-20 sacks a year guy, Wade Phillips defense is designed to get him that and attack from the position but I think he will be special.

lolz...

"my assesssment of Watt was way off.... but I'm going to stick with it"

K Train
08-06-2014, 12:26 PM
lolz...

"my assesssment of Watt was way off.... but I'm going to stick with it"

Yeah, thats not what I said. Watt was a much better pro than he ever was college player. Tuitt had 12 sacks in 2012 which is more than JJ Watt had in college. He was a TFL machine though playing all over the dline, but he was widely considered a top notch run defender that needed to work on his pass rushing moves.

Again, you read what you want to read. Watt was hardly a slam dunk prospect, all I said was I didnt like him in the first round. But now I say he looks like a future hall of famer after 3 years and about as dominant as a player as you can get on the dline but im sticking with how i saw him before the 2011 draft? Please

Tuitt was not very good last year, but from everything were hearing we got the 2012 Tuitt who would have been a first rounder I would think.

I wasnt the only person to compare watt to carriker either at that time, the two were damn near identical in terms of everything. Production, usage, size, ability, and measurables

ChucktownSteeler
08-06-2014, 02:16 PM
I loved JJ Watt coming out of college. I was hoping we would trade up for him. I knew he wouldn't be there when we picked. This guy was and is a stud.

JackLambert
08-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Boys, boys, let's just enjoy our division spending 1/4 of a $billion on Sucko and Ginger.

K Train
08-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Boys, boys, let's just enjoy our division spending 1/4 of a $billion on Sucko and Ginger.

lol 1/4 billion

Big T
08-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Steelers LBs ready for Dri Archer to torment somebody else

When the Pittsburgh Steelers first drafted running back Dri Archer, we knew he would be giving somebody fits.

Whether it was offensive coordinators trying to find snaps for him, defensive coordinators trying to find ways to defend him, or linebackers trying to find their jocks after covering him, one thing we knew he was going to deliver is a round of headaches.

Right now, nobody’s head is pounding harder than eighth-year veteran Steelers inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons, who has so far been tasked with covering him on seemingly every opportunity during drills.

We have been hearing reports for days now of the rookie speedster making the borderline Pro Bowl linebacker look foolish and flat-footed with his incomparable speed and elusiveness.

Dale Lolley wrote yesterday of one such incident, in which Archer “caught a ball in the flat, came to a complete stop to freeze Timmons and then burst inside, flying right by him”.

When it comes down to it, however, anybody can be a victim, as second-year linebacker Terence Garvin found out, and as Lolley described:

“Later in the drill, when they had two backs and two backers, Garvin went outside with Archer, yelling, ‘I got it, I got it’. When Archer caught the ball and stutter stepped, Garvin didn’t have it any longer. Archer burst down the sideline by himself, leaving Garvin to grasp at air as he yelled obscenities”.

Soon, the hope is, Archer will be tormenting linebackers wearing something other than the black and gold uniforms of the Steelers.

That is what the team was expecting out of 2012 fifth-round draft pick Chris Rainey, who lasted only one season before the Steelers parted ways.

Archer does appear to be on another level than Rainey ever was, but nothing can be more convincing than seeing him actually doing to another team what he has been doing to his own teammates in practice.

It’s not that difficult for short road burners to garner excited accolades for putting on a show during training camp. It’s a “football-like” environment, rather than football itself, as the Steelers’ head coach would say.

The goal for Saturday is to see New York Giants sprawled across the field, arms outstretched, with Archer already two steps beyond, the way the Steelers linebackers have looked.

If the rookie can make Jacquian Williams and Devon Kennard look as bad as a player the quality of Timmons has trying to cover him, then I think we can say we’re on our way to something to get excited about.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08/steelers-lbs-ready-dri-archer-torment-somebody-else/

ChucktownSteeler
08-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Barring injury one may assume the top 4 draft picks are going to contribute early and often this year. I also look for Zumwalt and Branchflower to either make the roster or PS. I think McCullers may be a casualty.

coldrolled
08-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Maybe McCullers will create casualties.

ChucktownSteeler
08-06-2014, 03:36 PM

I am not sure he will make the roster. maybe an outside shot at the PS for a project.

Big T
08-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Barring injury one may assume the top 4 draft picks are going to contribute early and often this year. I also look for Zumwalt and Branchflower to either make the roster or PS. I think McCullers may be a casualty.

Blanchflower is going to have a really hard time making the team. He hasn't be practicing. Just got back from injury Monday but didn't do team drills. I don't know what to make of Zumwalt yet. He hasn't been practicing (like Blanchflower, just got back on Monday), and the overall LB depth is strong. I guess it depends on how many they keep. Worilds, Jones, Timmons, Shazier, Moats, Vince Williams, Spence, Garvin... My guess is that he makes the team, but we have to see him actually practice lol. McCullers has been better than expected. Still plays too high at times but I think he has a shot at the roster. If he's not on the roster I'd bet anything they try to stash him on the practice squad.

KemoTherapy
08-06-2014, 03:42 PM

That's a good one. They may have a dilemma with him. If you put him on the p.s. you can bet some other team will grab him just based on his size and potential.

Big T
08-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Dick LeBeau addressed the more interesting issues surrounding the Steelers' defense in this wide-ranging interview. Here's the transcript:

Dick LeBeau, Defensive Coordinator, Pittsburgh Steelers

Q: You expressed optimism at the draft that Ryan Shazier and Stephon Tuitt would play a lot. What’s the update?
DL: I don’t want to overload their plate but I would say they’re ahead of schedule. They’ve been very much a pleasure for the whole coaching staff, mostly because of the type of people they are. They’re hard workers. They know they’ve got a lot to learn, and that’s not always the case. And they’re very open to coaching. I don’t know when but we’re expecting some pretty good things from those guys.

Q: Is starting plausible?
DL: I think Ryan’s going to start and I could see Tuitt playing an awful lot of snaps.

Q: What has Tuitt shown you?
DL: Just what we saw from his college career. He’s an exceptional athlete for his size, and he can run. Even though I knew he could run, when I see him in person I am surprised by his endurance and his speed and quickness. I mean, I don’t know if I’ve seen a guy that big move like that. Now, does that mean he’s going to be a great player? No it doesn’t. There are a lot of other things that come in there. He seems willing to try to acquire that knowledge and those skills, so we’ll see where he goes. Again, these young guys, I don’t want to overload the expectations, but at this stage in the training camp, they’re doing a good job.

Q: Rookies don’t often start. What is separating Ryan? Is it opportunity and ability merging?
DL: That’s true. All of the above. The spot’s there and he has exceptional athletic ability. I think he’s going to be able to make a lot of plays for us.

Q: Are you expecting to see Johnny Manziel in the opener?
DL: I am. I am. If he’s not, we’ll play the other guy. I’m going to take a good look at him. Let’s put it that way.

Q: Why do you think he’ll play?
DL: He impressed me with his college career. He makes plays, and he was playing against some real talented athletes in that conference on defense, too. What I could see they were getting up there around 45, 50 points a game, so your quarterback’s gotta be doing something right. And he can keep the play alive. I’m not a coach in Cleveland, and I don’t know what they’re going to do, I’m just telling you what I’m doing.

Q: What can you do to change the number of big plays you allowed last year?
DL: We can play a whole lot better and coach a whole lot better. You hit the nail right on the head. I mean, a minimum of five or six plays would’ve totally changed the look of our statistical picture. But every play counts and we did give up too many big plays. That’s always been one of our strengths. We intend to make it (one) again.

Q: Can young guys elevate the energy level, particularly as it pertains to takeaways?
DL: We have been short at that but I don’t think youth has anything to do with that. I’ll take youth any day if they go the right direction. I’m not against youth.

Q: The linebackers are really flowing to the ball. How’s Lawrence Timmons as a leader? And has the revamping of the LB corps met with your satisfaction?
DL: Yeah we’re going to be fast there. We’ve got four fast guys there and I think we’re coming along with depth. We’re still looking to develop that. Lawrence is an amazing guy. He played the open inside backer for us all along. We had some injury problems a couple years ago and he went to outside and did a great job for us outside. He played the inside in the third-down defense. And when we had a problem at the strong side, he went to the strong side. He’s a very versatile guy. He really looks at home, to me, on the strong side. I think those two guys are going to give us a lot of speed at a position that doesn’t necessarily feature speed. We’re going to be fast at the inside backer.

Q: Ever have anyone play all of those different linebacker positions?
DL: I have. I have had several different players but I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone play it better than Lawrence has played them.

Q: Surprised he hasn’t made a Pro Bowl?
DL: I’ve said for three years he’s been playing at a Pro Bowl level, for three years now. A couple of those years we led the daggone league in defense, and he should’ve gone. But, again, that’s just my opinion.

Q: Have you noticed whether Jarvis Jones is stronger?
DL: Yes, yes I have. And he can still get stronger. But he’s working on that. He came along with the on-the-job training last year. Part of the reason of our turnaround, particularly defensively, was some of those younger guys that really hadn’t started – Jason and he and there are others – but they all improved because of the way they worked and kept their focus. I think Jarvis Jones is going to be a good outside linebacker.

Q: Do you view last year as an anomaly for Ike Taylor?
DL: He was playing with some injuries last year. True professional players do that and they don’t use it for a crutch. You didn’t hear that from Mike (Tomlin), but I could see it. Again, from the middle of the season on, if you look at him it’s really close to playing like Ike can play. He looks good at training camp. I think the anomaly part is that he was injured. But we needed him in there. I’m not saying that. But it’s going to affect his play a little bit.

Q: Was there a common thread with the big plays you gave up last year?
DL: Yeah. We were young early in the season and didn’t go the right way. It left gaps. When you leave gaps in the National Football League, you’re out of here, baby.

Q: What are we going to see differently with Mike Mitchell back there as opposed to Ryan Clark back there?
DL: I don’t want to compare the two. They’re both great players. But Mike is the one we’ve got now and I think you’re going to see a really veteran football player, tremendous range, good ball skills, and a good tackler. He’s going to be part of our speed package. When I talk about having a fast defense, he’s one of the fast guys. Again, those two safeties we’ve got and those four linebackers we’ve got, at those positions we can run a race with anybody in the NFL. Problem is, it ain’t a race. It’s a football game.

Q: With the depth at those positions, are you ready for up-tempo offenses more than ever?
DL: Well we better be ready for ’em, because that’s what you’re going to see. Nobody huddles in football, not even in high school football. We’ve been working on it from Day One in the coaching sessions, so it’s not going to be something they’re not comfortable with. But we’ll have to prove that we can execute and handle it, because you’re going to get it. You’re going to get it week-in and week-out.

Q: Is the notion of an every-down linebacker like Lawrence starting to fade away?
DL: You’re always going to have to have one or two of those guys in there. Not every play’s a pass, even though it’s third-and-8. It’s good to have a lot of little guys that are really fast running around covering those speed guys, but you’ve got to have somebody with a little muscle, too. I think there will always be a place for a bigger backer, but he’ll have to be of the ilk of Lawrence, agile enough and fast enough to do some stuff in pass coverage.

Q: Are base defenses suddenly the exception anymore? Are nickel defenses the default setting?
DL: You can look at the number of snaps. The only thing I would disagree with your statement is ‘suddenly.’ I mean, I’ve been aware of this for five years. We coach that way. We built our team that way. I tell our guys the first day in, everybody in this room is going to have a hat and play a significant amount of snaps; first of all, because of personnel packages, and then you’re going to have some injuries. It isn’t anything new at all. Is it a little more dramatic? Sure, because they’re having success doing that.

Q: Is this a passing trend? Will it be going away any time soon?
DL: You watch football, don’t you? I don’t know that it’s a trend. I think the (passing) trend would have to be to go back to the old two-back and run it off tackle. I don’t think you’re going to see that. It’s here to stay.

Big T
08-06-2014, 03:48 PM
^^^^^^^

http://pit.scout.com/story/1430376-q-a-dick-lebeau?s=68

K Train
08-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Guys, its BLanchflower

Zumwalt is going to have a hard time considering how many linebackers they have at the moment.

I wouldnt say someone will just scoop up Mccullers. Guys like him bounce around all the time.

I am looking forward to seeing him in the preseason though...be good to see how he stacks up against 2nd and 3rd teamers, he should be disruptive and hes going to have to be to make the final roster. Reports are saying he moves better than they expected so who knows

KemoTherapy
08-06-2014, 04:15 PM
I think with Big Mac it will boil down to whether or not he commands a double team against him and how he handles that. If he can occupy two guys it will free everything else up. I do wonder about his ability to get on and off the field properly with the different sub packages and when teams going up tempo or no huddle against them though.

Big T
08-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Every ****ing time I wrote Blanchflower it autocorrected to "Branch flower", 2 words lol. I didn't realize that it was changing it from L to R. Really annoying.

NeilPatrickBanana
08-06-2014, 05:32 PM
I am not sure he will make the roster. maybe an outside shot at the PS for a project.

It's not like Fangupo is going to be difficult to beat out for a roster spot

ChucktownSteeler
08-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Blanchflower is going to have a really hard time making the team. He hasn't be practicing. Just got back from injury Monday but didn't do team drills. I don't know what to make of Zumwalt yet. He hasn't been practicing (like Blanchflower, just got back on Monday), and the overall LB depth is strong. I guess it depends on how many they keep. Worilds, Jones, Timmons, Shazier, Moats, Vince Williams, Spence, Garvin... My guess is that he makes the team, but we have to see him actually practice lol. McCullers has been better than expected. Still plays too high at times but I think he has a shot at the roster. If he's not on the roster I'd bet anything they try to stash him on the practice squad.

I think Branchflower has a shot. There's not much at TE once you get past Heath (yes I know Spaeth is the best blocking TE in the NFL). LOL

K Train
08-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Blanchflower, with a BLANCH

Will Johnson is getting most of the reps as a reserve TE...hes like the polar opposite of David Johnson

Big T
08-06-2014, 07:40 PM
I think Branchflower has a shot. There's not much at TE once you get past Heath (yes I know Spaeth is the best blocking TE in the NFL). LOL

Not once did I say that he's the best blocking TE in the NFL. In terms of run blocking from the TE position, there aren't many that do it better than Matt Spaeth. Laugh all you want. It's the truth. People see him as a completely mediocre receiving TE so they write him off. That's foolish. This isn't New Orleans. There's more to the TE position than catching the ball.

Big T
08-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Blanchflower, with a BLANCH

Will Johnson is getting most of the reps as a reserve TE...hes like the polar opposite of David Johnson

It's like the few people here that refer to Heyward as Haywood lol

coldrolled
08-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Hey, Zumwalt will over perform when we play the bills in practice and he crushes Frank the Tank. lol

ChucktownSteeler
08-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Blanchflower

Blanchflower

Blanchflower

Blanchflower

Blanchflower

NeilPatrickBanana
08-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Not once did I say that he's the best blocking TE in the NFL. In terms of run blocking from the TE position, there aren't many that do it better than Matt Spaeth. Laugh all you want. It's the truth. People see him as a completely mediocre receiving TE so they write him off. That's foolish. This isn't New Orleans. There's more to the TE position than catching the ball.

Spaeth is an excellent blocker, and the best outside zone blocking TE in the NFL

We completely dumped the outside zone last year... And Pouncey's injury wasn't the only reason why.

K Train
08-06-2014, 09:59 PM
Hey, Zumwalt will over perform when we play the bills in practice and he crushes Frank the Tank. lol

Like last year, I pray frank the tank and kraig urbik show mercy to steelers players and let them leave the field without being on a stretcher

K Train
08-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Spaeth is an excellent blocker, and the best outside zone blocking TE in the NFL

We completely dumped the outside zone last year... And Pouncey's injury wasn't the only reason why.

Yes it was. But spaeth will bring a huge boost to the run game, hopefully will Johnson can bring a similar boost through the air

What likely hurt Bicknell was the fact that two of the teams younger linemen did not develop under his watch. The Steelers drafted Mike Adams in the second round of the 2012 draft, and he earned the team's rookie of the year honors after starting six games at right tackle. Adams opened the season as the starter at left tackle this season, but he was benched after four games. Adams allowed four sacks and 24 quarterback hurries in his limited playing time.

Right tackle Marcus Gilbert, a second-round pick in 2011, did not fare much better. He remained a starter all season, but allowed 11 of the team's 43 sacks and 30 quarterback hurries.

Another factor was the failed implementation of the outside zone-blocking scheme. The Steelers worked on the new scheme throughout training camp, but they scrapped those plans after Pouncey was injured, even though Velasco was trained in an outside zone scheme in Tennessee when he played for the Titans.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/01/04/Another-offensive-line-boss-is-fired-Bicknell-is-fired-after-one-season/stories/201401040070#ixzz39fDhjPma

You saying spaeth was any major part of the reason is you making things up. Pure speculation well outside of me speculating Munchak was brought in to develop the young oline, mostly the most on field troubled one in Adams.

NeilPatrickBanana
08-06-2014, 11:28 PM
You saying spaeth was any major part of the reason is you making things up.

it's simply me being right... that's all it is...

Pure speculation well outside of me speculating Munchak was brought in to develop the young oline, mostly the most on field troubled one in Adams.

yea... Munchak was "mostly" brought in for the worst of the bunch...:rolleyes:
lol

Spaeth was brought in specifically because we were intending to make the outside zone a component of the offense
A laterally capable TE with the wing span to move players in space, is critical to the outside zone. A playside edge blocker in the D gap is critical. Heath was not ready, and wouldn't be the same for most of the season. they knew this.... they brought in Spaeth because they NEEDED him to run outside zone stuff...

You literally cannot run outside zone with david paulson...

even after bringing in a center versed in running the outsize zone (velasco), we left it in the playbook scrap heap...

Losing Spaeth had a major impact on the teams ability to run outside zone... that should be common sense for anyone who understands the following:
Outside Zone
The Steelers Roster
The reason we signed Matt Spaeth

when something i say, doesn't make sense to you at first... take some time and think about it, before comically arguing against it.

you're supposed to be someone who "gets it".... :shakehead

K Train
08-06-2014, 11:59 PM
I know how valuable spaeth is in the run game. With Heath out he could have really helped early in the year regardless if they scrapped the zone or not. Shame he hurt his foot so badly.

Paulson has proved to be truly terrible in all aspects of the game. Travesty if he gets a roster spot this year. I'd rather keep waters as a camp hero, at least he's shown he can land a block occasionally

I hope Heath returns to 2012 form, not sure he will be getting a new contract. $4.5 million over 2015 and 2016 with none guaranteed as it stands now.

Not really the thread but how do you feel about funchess next year

NeilPatrickBanana
08-07-2014, 12:43 AM
I know how valuable spaeth is in the run game. With Heath out he could have really helped early in the year regardless if they scrapped the zone or not. Shame he hurt his foot so badly.

the point is that Spaeth's injury absolutely impacted their ability to run, and ultimately their decision to scrap the Outside Zone... The TE on SLB is literally the deciding block in the outside zone... the RB is reading THAT block to determine if he is going to hit the D gap/Outside or cut back into the A gap, and ride the center.

Paulson has proved to be truly terrible in all aspects of the game. Travesty if he gets a roster spot this year. I'd rather keep waters as a camp hero, at least he's shown he can land a block occasionally

there's no reason Paulson should even be in the NFL...

I hope Heath returns to 2012 form, not sure he will be getting a new contract. $4.5 million over 2015 and 2016 with none guaranteed as it stands now.

Not really the thread but how do you feel about funchess next year

you know im not a fan of spending high picks on TEs...

Hoping we pick towards the end of the 1st round... I'll be keeping my eye on Sean Hickey at Syracuse... he showed me something last year when he moved over to the left side to fill in for Pugh for a game (the only game i saw)... but he has a very intirguing mix of athleticism and raw country power... and peaked my interest. I'm assuming he's taking over the LT spot full time this year.

And i'll probably be on the CB Soapbox again, the guys from FSU and Stanford are very good.... Ifo will go too high

Big T
08-07-2014, 02:03 AM
Le'Veon Bell reported to training camp at 232 pounds, 12 pounds lighter than last season.
We always like to hear about running backs shedding weight because it often increases both quickness and long speed. For Bell, it was a necessity. He averaged just 3.52 YPC as a rookie, breaking a mere five runs of 15+ yards on his 244 carries. In one recent interview, the 6-foot-1 Bell even said he was down around 220-225 pounds. "Looking at my film, when I was lighter, I made cuts a lot quicker, I was faster," he said. "I feel better around that weight, so I'm going to stay around that weight." A bump to something near 3.9 YPC is a reasonable projection for Bell's sophomore NFL campaign.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8390/leveon-bell

ChucktownSteeler
08-07-2014, 09:51 AM
I will give Spaeth the benefit of the doubt, but I remember this guy sucking right before he publicly urinated in Pittsburgh and was left to walk off to Chicago. Seems to me he was missing blocks left and right and couldn't "catch a cold". He earned the moniker Matt "Waste of Spaeth" Spaeth.

I will watch for his play Saturday night.

K Train
08-07-2014, 10:04 AM
I will give Spaeth the benefit of the doubt, but I remember this guy sucking right before he publicly urinated in Pittsburgh and was left to walk off to Chicago. Seems to me he was missing blocks left and right and couldn't "catch a cold". He earned the moniker Matt "Waste of Spaeth" Spaeth.

I remember him dropping a touchdown, once and he doesnt have the softest hands in general but he moves people off the ball. But I am hardly going hold it against him pissing in pittsburgh lol.....try to think of it as him relieving himself rather than pissing all over our precious sports city

ChucktownSteeler
08-07-2014, 10:22 AM
I remember him dropping a touchdown, once and he doesnt have the softest hands in general but he moves people off the ball. But I am hardly going hold it against him pissing in pittsburgh lol.....try to think of it as him relieving himself rather than pissing all over our precious sports city

I remember him dropping the TD as well. Oddly enough wasn't it against "Da Bears"?

K Train
08-07-2014, 10:23 AM
the point is that Spaeth's injury absolutely impacted their ability to run, and ultimately their decision to scrap the Outside Zone... The TE on SLB is literally the deciding block in the outside zone... the RB is reading THAT block to determine if he is going to hit the D gap/Outside or cut back into the A gap, and ride the center.

there's no reason Paulson should even be in the NFL...

you know im not a fan of spending high picks on TEs...

Hoping we pick towards the end of the 1st round... I'll be keeping my eye on Sean Hickey at Syracuse... he showed me something last year when he moved over to the left side to fill in for Pugh for a game (the only game i saw)... but he has a very intirguing mix of athleticism and raw country power... and peaked my interest. I'm assuming he's taking over the LT spot full time this year.

And i'll probably be on the CB Soapbox again, the guys from FSU and Stanford are very good.... Ifo will go too high
You are making that up lol....the theory is fine but nothing has indicated that. They could have worked it in here and there and tried to extend its role in the offense when spaeth came back 2 months later. If ANYTHING, heath not being 100% had more impact than spaeth being out. He had a role on the team, thats why they brought him back but he was hardly THE cog in the offense lol. It is pointless to argue with you about it though. But i guarantee if i blantantly made up something like this we would have paragraph after paragraph of you telling me I am wrong

Didnt catch much Syracuse last year. I like Brandon Scherr this year....hes one scary man. Theres a video of him hang cleaning 443 3 times...thats scary strong. It another stacked OT class I would say Ogbuehi is the Best right now, then we have Cam Erving and Scherff somewhere in there. If he cleans up his footwork in pass protection I could see him shooting up. Realistically he could easily be Iowas best prospect since Gallery

Darby vs PJ Williams is tough. Its Bama syndrome, tough to evaluate them as a players on the perimeter with them being so good up front and at safety. Darbys speed is undeniable, and Williams has fantastice ball skills and athletic ability when it comes to leaping.

Ifo is kinda tough too...not sure where he would have gone this year, id probably say 15/25 and I would have had him over Dennard. Be interesitng to see if he establishes himself as the #1 CB this year, especially with PJ vying for that spot

Huge fan of Alex Carter though....huge. They can stay away from Diggs, im over Texas players for a while. He was shaky at best last season anyway

K Train
08-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Worst practices yesterday...Wheaton and Weslye Johnson were BAD apparently.

Happens, they were cold after a day off

coldrolled
08-07-2014, 10:28 AM

Whatever, we need a new quality TE to work with Heath. We have one TE right now that plays TE. Blocking, Catching, Running, Getting Open. Moving the Chains.

ChucktownSteeler
08-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Whatever, we need a new quality TE to work with Heath. We have one TE right now that plays TE. Blocking, Catching, Running, Getting Open. Moving the Chains.

Blanchflower

Blanchflower

Blanchflower

Blanchflower

Blanchflower

ChucktownSteeler
08-07-2014, 11:18 AM
OK, we need to find out if his F"N name is Branchfloer or Blanchfloer:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=103245

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/sports/x1027614628/Rookie-linebacker-making-impression-at-Steelers-camp

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/05/steelers-te-rob-blanchflower-hoping-avoid-another-redshirt-beginning/

What the F is his name?

Steeltrap
08-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Worst practices yesterday...Wheaton and Weslye Johnson were BAD apparently.

Happens, they were cold after a day off

Justin Brown starting over Lance Moore in the slot. And he worked well after hours with Ben too.

LatrobePA
08-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Moore may not be a LOCK!

K Train
08-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Moore is without a doubt a lock

You can see what they have in moore....hes capable of being more productive than cotchery, but Justin Brown is the one they are intrigued by and for good reason. They need to see what he can do

coldrolled
08-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Blanchflower

Blanchflower

Blanchflower

Blanchflower

Blanchflower

Rob Blanchflower, TE
School: Massachusetts | Conference: MAC
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Leominster, MA
Height/Weight: 6-4 / 256 lbs.

TarlsQtr
08-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Kaboly: Does Tuitt have the ‘integrity’ to start right away?

Mike Tomlin absolutely loves Stephon Tuitt, and really, when have you heard Mike Tomlin gush over anybody?
When was the last time you heard Dick LeBeau praise a rookie, let alone a rookie two weeks into training camp?

Usually it goes something like this when you bring up rookies to LeBeau: “It’s not a defense you can come in and play right away. I will never apologize for my defense being hard to learn” or something along those lines.

Yeah, the rookie second-round pick out of Notre Dame has been that impressive two weeks into camp.

Impressive enough to shove Cam Thomas – a guy they gave $4 million over two years in the offseason to play end – to nose tackle to fill in for the concussed Steve McLendon so Tuitt can get reps with the first team.

Thursday will be the fifth consecutive practice that Tuitt lines up at left defensive end with the first team. It is almost assured that he will start Saturday’s first preseason game against the Giants.

This is about when and where we should temper the enthusiasm on Tuitt … at least for now.

Defensive ends in LeBeau’s 3-4 scheme very well could be the most difficult position to learn because of the discipline needed to be successful.

How many times have you heard “gap integrity” or “gap sound” come out of somebody’s mouth. It’s a real thing and it can be devastating, especially to a 3-4 defense.

What is gap inegrity? What that means is that for LeBeau’s defense to stop the run, everybody needs to be in a specific place. If you deviate from your gap assignment, it usually results in a pretty significant gain.

What makes it difficult for a defensive end like Tuitt – or any young defensive lineman — is to be discipline enough to be where you are supposed to be rather than where you think you should be.

How many times did you see Brett Keisel out of his gap over his career, and he’s one of the best to play for LeBeau.
Get out of your gap and the integrity of the defense is shot.

Gap integrity is not easy. Tuitt was a playmaker at Notre Dame and to shove that down the list of priorities for him won’t be a walk in the park.

Now, Tuitt was a pretty good with his gaps in Notre Dame’s 3-4, but this is a whole new level, as we all know.

So, maybe we all should be listening to defensive line coach John Mitchell right now instead of Tomlin or LeBeau. Mitchell told TribLive Radio’s Ken Laird last week: “We’ve been in camp five days and you guys want to make somebody out of something.”

Saying that, Tuitt is pretty good.

But remember, patience.

Read more: http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2014/08/07/kaboly-does-tuitt-have-the-integrity-to-start-right-away/#ixzz39ivvroOU

NeilPatrickBanana
08-07-2014, 01:38 PM
You are making that up lol....the theory is fine but nothing has indicated that.

They replaced Pouncey with a very experienced Zone scheme center, Heath Miller returned from injury... and still NO outside zone... saying nothing has indicated it is pure density on your part.

learn.

They could have worked it in here and there and tried to extend its role in the offense when spaeth came back 2 months later.

you don't work something back in months later when you are in a playoff race....

If ANYTHING, heath not being 100% had more impact than spaeth being out.

Clearly not true since they intended to run it while heath was still on PUP...

He had a role on the team, thats why they brought him back but he was hardly THE cog in the offense lol.

oh look, straw man hyperbole...

It is pointless to argue with you about it though.

We are not having an argument... I am trying to enlighten you to something you apparently were completely unaware of (Spaeth's injury and the fact that it impacted their ability/plan to run outside zone stuff)

But i guarantee if i blantantly made up something like this we would have paragraph after paragraph of you telling me I am wrong

If you made an intelligent football deduction from the facts, I would be impressed...

A quick reminder on my statement that you think is some dumb theory:

Big T
08-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Spaeth was injured Aug. 9th and they still planned to run it. He was placed on IR September 3, nearly a week before the regular season opener, and they still planned to run it. They played Tennessee week 1, without Spaeth, and ran it. And then Pouncey got injured and they scrapped it. Spaeth is a damn good ZB TE but the plan was to run the scheme with or without him. He went out nearly a month before the season opener and there was nothing to suggest that had any plans to scrap it.

Clearly not true since they intended to run it while heath was still on PUP...

Again, same with Spaeth. They went into the regular season knowing they wouldn't have Spaeth for a few months, and still intended to use it. I'm not saying your argument is bullshit, but if Pouncey doesn't go down, they don't scrap the scheme.

NeilPatrickBanana
08-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Spaeth was injured Aug. 9th and they still planned to run it. He was placed on IR September 3, nearly a week before the regular season opener, and they still planned to run it. They played Tennessee week 1, without Spaeth, and ran it. And then Pouncey got injured and they scrapped it. Spaeth is a damn good ZB TE but the plan was to run the scheme with or without him. He went out nearly a month before the season opener and there was nothing to suggest that had any plans to scrap it.

Again, same with Spaeth. They went into the regular season knowing they wouldn't have Spaeth for a few months, and still intended to use it. I'm not saying your argument is bullshit, but if Pouncey doesn't go down, they don't scrap the scheme.

That's the entire point I am making... Again read what I said.

The more cogs in the wheel you lose...

Pouncey's injury broke the camels back... But as I said, his injury wasn't the ONLY reason why...

Losing Spaeth, Heath not being 100%, Adams blowing chunks, and pouncey

If Spaeth was healthy and Adams miraculously played like a starter, and we replaced pouncey with a zone experienced Velasco... We probably still run some zone...

Big T
08-07-2014, 03:05 PM
If Spaeth was healthy and Adams miraculously played like a starter, and we replaced pouncey with a zone experienced Velasco... We probably still run some zone...

I can agree with that

KemoTherapy
08-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Getting off to the bad start (0-4 or whatever it was) probably had as much as anything to do with putting the kibosh on the new system. After that start it was a time to get wins anyway possible and that meant doing what you know and shelving experimentation. If they get off to another bad start the same thing might happen again.
[/LIST]

ChucktownSteeler
08-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Rob Blanchflower, TE
School: Massachusetts | Conference: MAC
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Leominster, MA
Height/Weight: 6-4 / 256 lbs.

http://www.thescore.com/news/499522

SuperSteelers
08-08-2014, 01:32 AM
Branchflower

Branchflower