PDA

View Full Version : Bylsma and Shero fired!

Spike
05-16-2014, 12:20 PM
5 straight years of losing to lower ranked teams in the playoffs will do that

live streaming press conference at 1130 EST

OK - so just Shero gone at this time - new GM will decide things

http://www.iheart.com/live/970-ESPN-2013/

Spike
05-16-2014, 01:03 PM
So Mario just sacrificed Shero for Bylsma? Where was Mario?

I can't see a new GM doing anything Mario doesn't want

LatrobePA
05-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Danny boy is still the coach...

Spike
05-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Stan Savran is going off...calling Mario a chicken for dumping the coaching decision on the new GM

Spike
05-16-2014, 01:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAaMWcCdDW4

Spike
05-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Gene Collier ‏@genecollier
Just asked Mario Lemieux if there was chance Dan Bylsma could keep his job: "Certainly," said #Penguins owner, "that why we didn't fire him"

Spike
05-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic
Bottom line: Lemieux and Burkle want new GM to have total say in how @Penguins look. Including choosing anyone from current hockey ops.

LatrobePA
05-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Stan Savran is going off...calling Mario a chicken for dumping the coaching decision on the new GM

I agree... fn fire him so he and the Pens can move on. Why delay the inevitable,.

Spike
05-16-2014, 02:34 PM
oh myyyyy

Penguins owners Lemiuex and Burkle say Bylsma absolutely could remain coach

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2014/05/16/Penguins-owners-Lemiuex-and-Burkle-say-Bylsma-absolutely-could-remain-coach/stories/201405160195#ixzz31tvgKOsv

“That’s why we didn’t fire him,” Lemieux said. “He’s a good coach. You look at his record in the regular season, in the playoffs. If he was fired today, there’d be a lot of teams lined up for him."

Spike
05-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Exclusive interview: Mario Lemieux, Ron Burkle

Just spent a half-hour meeting with Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle in a Consol Energy Center office. Only others in the room were David Morehouse, CEO, and Tom McMillan, VP of communications.

Keep refreshing, as I’m just going to keep updating the file as I type it out. The entire conversation was on the record.

DK: What’s the best way to describe what was announced today?

Burkle: Well, let’s start with this: We start here with a lot of great qualities. We’ve got a community that gives us a lot of support, the fans, the youth hockey, a lot of different areas that allow us to run to the cap if that’s the place we need to be. And we wake up every day with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. So we wake up in a pretty good place.

We aren’t happy to be in the top quartile. If you make it to this round, you’re in the top quartile. That’s good enough for some. It isn’t where we want to be. And as we looked at this team as a whole, the whole year and not Game 7, we don’t think we’ve got a team that’s got all the ingredients we’d need to have for a championship team. And all the things we’d expected to have for a championship team. So, to us, well before Game 7, we looked at how best we’d need to find those things …

Lemieux: The grit, the character. Even on the special teams, you’ve got to have some guys in the playoffs with grit, with character, as well as speed.

DK: Now, you always had that around you, that grit and character. No matter who you had to tick off, you made sure you had it.

Lemieux: (Laughs) Like I’ve said before, it’s a two-month tournament. To get to the end, you’ve got to go through a lot of adversity.

DK: Now, when some hear that, they think right away of fighters. That’s not what it’s about, is it?

Lemieux: No, just players who have some grit and character. We felt that was lacking this year.

Burkle: No matter how well we did this year, we didn’t have that. And it was something that had to be addressed.

DK: The root of any successful franchise is the draft. How big of a problem was the drafting?

Lemieux: It’s a problem. We’ve drafted well on defense. We’ve got some great prospects coming up, guys who are still in Wilkes-Barre, in juniors. We haven’t done as well at forward, obviously, but we’ve got some defensemen, some young guys we feel can step in over the next year or two.

DK: Why wouldn’t there have been a recognition earlier on that this team wasn’t tough? I mean, you could see in training camp that wasn’t the case.

Lemieux: (Shrugs)

DK: Yeah, me, neither.

Lemieux: That’s just the way the team was put together.

DK: Was there ever any edict from either of you, after the Matt Cooke mess, that the Penguins had to become this squeaky-clean team?

Burkle: We’ve read that. It’s not true.

DK: You know what I’m asking, right? This idea that because Mario spoke up about the Islanders a couple years ago that the Penguins had to become the role model?

Lemieux: No. Not at all.

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevic/

LatrobePA
05-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Wasn't Shero putting the same old shitass lines on the ice.

Spike
05-16-2014, 04:00 PM
DK: Was there ever any edict from either of you, after the Matt Cooke mess, that the Penguins had to become this squeaky-clean team?

Burkle: We’ve read that. It’s not true.

DK: You know what I’m asking, right? This idea that because Mario spoke up about the Islanders a couple years ago that the Penguins had to become the role model?

Lemieux: No. Not at all.

What was that all about?

Spike
05-16-2014, 05:23 PM
Would somebody please change this thread headline? It's a lie....and it's pissing me off

https://twitter.com/genecollier/stat...64984952193024

#Penguins Lemieux on the notion of firing Bylsma, "Look at Detroit; they don't win the Cup every year, but Babcock is still coach."

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608008498426413754&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Spike
05-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Steigy..."the fans should be grateful we keep making the playoffs, and we aren't Florida"

....oh my.....oh my.

Steigy does say he's in favor of trading Fleury and getting rid of Orpik......the ground is trembling

KevinE
05-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Dan **** the bed and should be gone

Spike
05-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Go young legs - see ya next year

The #WBSPens line rushes in warmups: Sheary-Gibbons-Kobasew, Zolnierczyk-Megna-Zlobin, Payerl-Drazenovic-Kostopoulos, Uher-Sill-Farnham.

Defense pairings for #WBSPens in warmups: McNeill-Despres, Dumoulin-Mikkelson, Harrington-Goers. Harrison Ruopp will be a healthy scratch.

Pouliot isn't with the team yet it seems.

http://www.wbspenguins.com/#

Spike
05-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Pierre McGuire to be next head coach?

We demand entertainment!

Spike
05-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Classic Headlines in the making...

Fans struggle to understand Penguins' front-office moves

http://brightcove01.brightcove.com/23/315980433/201405/1094/315980433_3571743087001_video-still-for-video-3571927969001.jpg?pubId=315980433

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6124073-74/bylsma-shero-cushing#axzz31hIG1Rax

Spike
05-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Shake it up

Flyers West destroying the Ducks - 4-0 Kings

Jeff Carter, Mike Richards

KevinE
05-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Pierre McGuire to be next head coach?

We demand entertainment!

Maybe he can bring his BBC boyfriend Subban w him?? Lol

Spike
05-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Rangers are clobbering the Habs, out of control, 7-1

KevinE
05-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Hey Nash even got to score.

KevinE
05-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Starkey: Crosby led Penguins down drain

By Joe Starkey
Freelance Columnist, 412-320-7848

Published: Saturday, May 17, 2014, 10:51 p.m.
Updated 11 hours ago
Don't let that little front-office earthquake distract you from the primary reason the Penguins are not participating in the Eastern Conference final.

The primary reason is Sidney Crosby, whose leadership never has been more in question.

If you didn't know better, you'd be looking for blood on Crosby's hands in the wake of Ray Shero's beheading and the pending demise of Dan Bylsma. You'd think he tried to orchestrate the palace coup.

Set aside, for a moment, Crosby's paltry playoff numbers. This is bigger than that. It's about the way he comported himself.

It's about the mysteriously early exits from power plays, the drifting to the bench in the middle of shifts, the uncharacteristic snapping at the coach and the perpetually blank look on his face.

If we find out he was badly injured, different story. But there is no evidence of that. The evidence suggests Crosby was unhappy and wanted the world to know it.

There are some who can't help but make excuses for Crosby. Sid's Sycophants. They have pitted him against Evgeni Malkin since the latter arrived, always favoring Sid.

You know what you'll get every night from Sid, they'd say. But Geno? Geno's too unpredictable. Geno at his worst evokes the shadowy side of Jaromir Jagr.

Yeah, that's it: Sid is Mario; Geno is Jagr.

Well, who looked like the moody, easily frustrated, coach-killer version of Jagr in these playoffs? And who looked more like Lemieux, laying it on the line in Game 7 and putting up a conference-leading point total through two series?

Imagine if Crosby were leading the conference in scoring and Malkin had one goal in his past 18 playoff games. Do you think the Sycophants would be finding excuses for Malkin?

More likely they'd be hanging him in effigy in Market Square.

One thing we never heard from Crosby during these playoffs was an unprompted, unqualified statement of personal responsibility.

A leader's first commandment is to personally and publicly accept blame even when he is not at fault but especially when he is. It tends to play well in locker rooms.

But in the midst of his hideous playoff, Crosby never said anything like this: “Put it on me. I'm the captain. I'm not getting it done.”

Instead, the best he could muster after his wretched Game 2 against Columbus was, “We've got to be better.”

We?

On locker clean-out day, a defensive Crosby said, “Obviously, I would have liked to score more and contribute more. But it wasn't from a lack of effort.”

OK. But when I watched Game 7, I couldn't help but notice that Malkin practically poured his soul onto the ice while Crosby often skirted the perimeter.

Did it look to you like Crosby brought every ounce of his hockey being to Game 7?

The captain also said, “I'd love to tear it up every series, but it doesn't always happen.”

Nobody's demanding that Crosby “tear it up every series.” How about just showing up as a leader of men?

The Sycophants' excuses never end. They'll tell you the Penguins have wasted the past four years of Crosby's career.

That's a lie. The Penguins had Cup-capable rosters in 2010, '12 and '13 and were certainly as good as the Rangers or Canadiens this year. If their best player hadn't failed them, they'd be playing another flawed team in the Canadiens right now.

The weak-wingers complaint needs to die, too. The Penguins offered Marian Hossa $50 million and a guaranteed spot next to Crosby for the prime of his career. Hossa couldn't get out of town fast enough. They brought in Jarome Iginla. Crosby preferred Pascal Dupuis.

The line of Crosby, Dupuis and Chris Kunitz was highly productive. Crosby enjoyed playing with them. So the Penguins shelled out $26.5 million to keep both.

Yeah, poor Sid.

In these playoffs, Bylsma often had Kunitz and Malkin on the top line. That's not a bad set of wingers. True, Brian Gibbons played there, too, and while he's far from an ideal choice, it's worth noting that he had twice as many goals in 54 seconds as Crosby has in his past 18 playoff games.

Crosby had one power-play shot in the entire Rangers series (a weak perimeter wrister in Game 6). How is that possible? He has one third-period goal in his past 41 playoff games (the one that made it 6-2 in a blowout of Ottawa last season).

Feel free to hide your eyes before we look at how Crosby has fared in his past four season-ending games” Montreal Game 7 in 2010, Philly Game 6 in '12, Boston Game 4 in '13 and Rangers Game 7.

In those four games, the Penguins' best player totaled zero goals, zero assists and a minus-6 (still checking on his Corsi rating).

So go ahead and be distracted by the ongoing palace coup at 1001 Fifth Ave. It's pretty riveting stuff.

Just know that the Penguins should still be playing.

Joe Starkey co-hosts a show 2 to 6 p.m. weekdays on 93.7 FM. Reach him at jraystarkey@gmail.com.

Spike
05-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Local media sticks in it's knives

Probably trying to save Bylsma's job, blame it on the players

LatrobePA
05-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Rumor has it Shero will be the Caps next GM and Danny boy could follow!

Spike
05-19-2014, 04:02 PM
all we have is rumors, Letang up for trade?

Letang broke foot, hand late in second round

Letang broke his foot in Game 6 of Pittsburgh’s second round series against the New York Rangers and suffered a broken hand in Game 7, per TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie.

Kris Letang would have had a hard time getting much done had the Pittsburgh Penguins advanced to the Eastern Conference Final and that’s assuming he would have played at all.

The Penguins have indicated that they’re ready to make meaningful changes by firing former GM Ray Shero. Perhaps they’ll follow it up by moving Letang, who is about to start his eight-year, $58 million contract.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/19/letang-broke-foot-hand-late-in-second-round/

KevinE
05-20-2014, 11:24 AM
When does the trading season begin?

Spike
05-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Dave Molinari @MolinariPG.Beau Bennett undergoes wrist surgery today. Recovery time projected to be four months.

drink more milk

meanwhile,

PIT prospect Derrick Pouliot had shoulder surgery today, out 4 to 6 months. Tomorrow, PIT's Olli Maatta to undergo shoulder surgery in PIT.

Spike
05-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Penguins interested in bringing in Pierre McGuire as general manager

The enigmatic NBC personality Pierre McGuire may be heading to Pittsburgh where he served as an assistant coach through the early nineties.

Reports continue to swirl that McGuire will head to Pittsburgh based on his ties with the organization formed in his early career. The option is open, according to Jimmy Murphy.

http://www.thescore.com/news/506368

Ibleedblk&gld
05-22-2014, 09:05 PM
Penguins interested in bringing in Pierre McGuire as general manager

The enigmatic NBC personality Pierre McGuire may be heading to Pittsburgh where he served as an assistant coach through the early nineties.

Reports continue to swirl that McGuire will head to Pittsburgh based on his ties with the organization formed in his early career. The option is open, according to Jimmy Murphy.

http://www.thescore.com/news/506368

That would be great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

KevinE
05-22-2014, 10:41 PM
I'd take his bald ***

Spike
05-23-2014, 10:28 AM
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib-Tomorrow marks one week since Ray Shero was dismissed. All remains quiet in Penguins land. Draft is 5 weeks away.

Spike
05-23-2014, 04:24 PM
more scuttlebutt

Neal denies he asked for trade out of Pittsburgh

In the wake of their stunning playoff collapse, the Penguins have been the subject of many trade rumors and on Friday, one of them took to social media to deny the whispers.

James Neal, the subject of “reports” claiming he demanded a trade out of Pittsburgh, addressed the rumblings via Twitter:

James Neal @jneal_18 All of these rumors couldn't be further from the truth. I love being a Pittsburgh Penguin. I hope to remain a Penguin and win as a Penguin.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/23/neal-denies-he-asked-for-trade-out-of-pittsburgh/

KevinE
05-24-2014, 01:05 AM
This whole dragging the feet on Dan is annoying.

FlatsSteeler
05-24-2014, 08:26 AM
Dapper Dan isn't going anywhere........All of this wait for the new GM is a Mario Smoke Screen......If Blysma was being fired he would be GONE already.......Mario gave the biggest hint Blysma was staying when he used Detroit as an example stating Look at Detroit they haven't won a SC since 08 their coach is still there.....More of the Same next season.......

KevinE
05-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Dapper Dan isn't going anywhere........All of this wait for the new GM is a Mario Smoke Screen......If Blysma was being fired he would be GONE already.......Mario gave the biggest hint Blysma was staying when he used Detroit as an example stating Look at Detroit they haven't won a SC since 08 their coach is still there.....More of the Same next season.......

Very true

Spike
05-26-2014, 01:27 PM
This thread title is still wrong - Bylsma has not been fired!

CEO David Morehouse held conversations with several potential candidates last week, but talks are expected to progress toward formal interviews this week.

Morehouse is said to have spoken with the following people:

◦PAT BRISSON – one of the NHL’s most powerful agents, including the representative for Penguins captain Sidney Crosby
◦JASON BOTTERILL – the Penguins’ interim GM and the assistant GM under Ray Shero for the last five seasons
◦JULIEN BRISEBOIS – Tampa Bay’s assistant GM
◦DAVE POULIN – Toronto’s vice president of hockey operations

Morehouse is also said to have spoken with his NHL contacts about – and possibly directly with – the following potential candidates:
◦NORM MACIVER – Chicago’s assistant GM
◦RICK DUDLEY – Montreal’s assistant GM
◦JEF GORTON – New York Rangers’ assistant GM
◦DON SWEENEY – Boston’s assistant general manager
◦PAUL FENTON – Nashville’s assistant general manager
◦GEORGE MCPHEE – Washington’s former GM

Shero was fired May 16. Morehouse said then he would not comment publicly during the process to find a replacement.

As of the middle of last week, the Penguins were said to target having a new general manager within two weeks. They want to provide the new general manager time to make a decision on head coach Dan Bylsma before the NHL Enty Draft on June 27-28. Bylsma has two years remaining on his contract, and Penguins ownership is said to be growing comfortable with the potential for him to return for next season.

Morehouse said the new general manager would determine the statuses of Bylsma, his assistants and all members of the hockey operations department.

Morehouse is spearheading the general manager search, though majority co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burke have relied on their trusted league colleagues regarding potential candidates. That group is said to have included Montreal GM Marc Bergevin, Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment CEO Tim Leiweke, Tampa Bay owner Jeff Vinik, and Brisson.

Penguins ownership is said to prefer the new general manager to have a successful background in scouting and development, believing the franchise needs to improve most in those areas.

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2014/05/26/rossi-pens-prefer-new-gm-to-excel-at-scoutingdevelopment/#axzz32q4D2h00

KevinE
05-26-2014, 11:29 PM
As far as I'm concerned Shero was the wrong man fired!! Danny sh!t the bed!!

Spike
05-27-2014, 11:51 AM
A few dummies from the Pittsburgh media are talking about keeping Bylsma and running down Babcock - must have got the word from the top.

Potentially keeping everyone BUT Shero?? How ****ed up is that?

If the new GM doesn't fire Bylsma, he should be fired on the spot.

LatrobePA
05-28-2014, 12:05 PM
After the Olympics epic meltdown Dan was hated not only in Pittsburgh but around the USA LOL

LatrobePA
05-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Pics floating around of Geno with their president. Anyone else annoyed with 71 going to Russia to win the gold? I just feel like besides one game he was a turd this post season.

Spike
05-30-2014, 12:27 PM
http://37.media.tumblr.com/46b5475b71a29d52b6eb64bde0537ef3/tumblr_n69qi9BdQp1retk6lo2_400.gif

At least Malkin is happy

Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin have fun in photos with Putin

Following a disappointing Olympics, hockey-mad Russia has been in quite the celebratory mood this week. The Russians won the 2014 IIHF World Championships in nearby Belarus and have been feted in Moscow almost as if they won the Stanley Cup.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24574930/gif-ovechkins-malkins-awesome-poses-with-vladimir-putin

LatrobePA
06-02-2014, 01:01 PM
I'd have a hard time smiling for a few months after dropping to the Rangers up 3-1. Team is a joke right now, I hope some changes come and come quick! Sid thinks he runs the team so let's start there.

FlatsSteeler
06-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Latrobe....Spot On.......

LatrobePA
06-03-2014, 10:24 AM
http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/6215492-74/pierre-bowman-penguins?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewpenguins+%28Peng uins+Stories%29#axzz33VEWcdKy

LatrobePA
06-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Danny has now been FIRED!

Spike
06-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Penguins fire Bylsma, hire Rutherford as GM

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/penguins-fire-bylsma-hire-rutherford-171603950--nhl.html

Don't get too worked up over Rutherford.

His presser was interesting. He called out Bylsma for lack of adjustments in the playoffs. He also called out certain 4th liners for being double digit minuses. Easy to see who he was talking about. Craig Adams was the only one that was a double digit minus at -16. Tanner Glass was next closest at -8. He talked about needing a few more vocal leaders in the room. I think he said a lot of the right things. I can see why Mario and Burkle were impressed enough to give him a shot

FlatsSteeler
06-06-2014, 04:39 PM
I listened to his Presser he sure did call out a few.....to include the Capt.

LatrobePA
06-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Penguins fire Bylsma, hire Rutherford as GM

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/penguins-fire-bylsma-hire-rutherford-171603950--nhl.html

Don't get too worked up over Rutherford.

His presser was interesting. He called out Bylsma for lack of adjustments in the playoffs. He also called out certain 4th liners for being double digit minuses. Easy to see who he was talking about. Craig Adams was the only one that was a double digit minus at -16. Tanner Glass was next closest at -8. He talked about needing a few more vocal leaders in the room. I think he said a lot of the right things. I can see why Mario and Burkle were impressed enough to give him a shot

Thanks for posting this...

Ibleedblk&gld
06-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Call me crazy but I liked bylsma and think he's a better coach than what's available right now (I hope I'm wrong)...and I would have rather had Pierre McGuire hired as GM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Spike
06-06-2014, 08:08 PM
I listened to his Presser he sure did call out a few.....to include the Capt.

Sid left his legs in Sochi after winning the Gold for Canada.

that's what I say

KevinE
06-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Sid left his legs in Sochi after winning the Gold for Canada.

that's what I say

Sid quitting screwed the whole mojo of this team headed into the final stretch.

Spike
06-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Rutherford: I have a short list of coaches in mind. The coach is going to have to adjust to the style of players we have because with the talent level of the Penguins, the Penguins can play however we want, but with the teams that we have to compete with, we are going to have to make the proper adjustments during the game, the regular season, or a playoff series. Obviously the Penguins can score, and score in bunches. But looking at the Penguins, obviously from a distance, because that’s where I was, I don’t think they can make the proper adjustments against certain teams, and that will be a key factor in what I will be looking for in a head coach. And then it’s going to be important to the chemistry, if the head coach is a certain way, we may need to exit those guys, have a motivator as an assistant coach, but we have to get a good mix of people.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=721981

KevinE
06-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Sound like a no BS guy!!! Love how he called out dan!!

Spike
06-21-2014, 04:15 PM
so much for the honeymoon

What a fiasco

Pens fail to close deal with Desjardins

"...looks like Pens are low balling coaches..."

"...2 year offer a big slight these days..."

"..an awful insult..."

KevinE
06-23-2014, 01:28 AM
so much for the honeymoon

What a fiasco

Pens fail to close deal with Desjardins

"...looks like Pens are low balling coaches..."

"...2 year offer a big slight these days..."

"..an awful insult..."

Lol this pens team is a joke right now. That's what happens when you let your players (or player) run your team..

LatrobePA
06-23-2014, 09:57 AM
No one wants to coach here, little crybaby Crosby and half *** Malkin are scaring people away!

LatrobePA
06-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Thoughts on the new hire?

FlatsSteeler
06-25-2014, 06:36 PM
As long as Sidney is in charge........SOS......I am not overly impressed.....Time will Tell.....

LatrobePA
06-26-2014, 10:18 AM
As long as Sidney is in charge........SOS......I am not overly impressed.....Time will Tell.....

Kinda where I'm at. Sid runs the team should of had him be head coach??