PDA

View Full Version : Jason Worilds working hard to earn a contract

JensK
05-15-2014, 05:19 AM
http://www.stack.com/video/3563275259001/a-day-in-the-life-of-pittsburgh-steelers-lb-jason-worilds/?icn=navigation&ici=Navigation_Content

He looks in shape, so thats nice. Then again, so did Ziggy Hood and that never really translated onto the field, so we shall see I suppose.

NorCalSteel
05-15-2014, 07:30 AM
He doesn't get a fair shake in here but I have always liked him, and he has earned his spot on the field. There is a reason he is still here and other have left. he will be a ProBowler this year if he stays healthy. Mark it down..

steelchamp204
05-15-2014, 08:03 AM
I really have no complaints about Worilds. The guy never complained, just went about his business and took advantage of his opportunity this past season. He will only be better with Tuitt on his side now.

About this contract, I know some aren't excited that they haven't come upon an agreement yet, but I still think they get a deal done soon. Like I said, he could have made a issue out of this, but he hasn't.

TarlsQtr
05-15-2014, 08:28 AM
I really have no complaints about Worilds. The guy never complained, just went about his business and took advantage of his opportunity this past season. He will only be better with Tuitt on his side now.

About this contract, I know some aren't excited that they haven't come upon an agreement yet, but I still think they get a deal done soon. Like I said, he could have made a issue out of this, but he hasn't.

Very little contract work gets done in the weeks leading up to the draft. Everyone is just way too busy with draft prep.

LatrobePA
05-15-2014, 09:21 AM
JW has the team by the sack, no depth!

coldrolled
05-15-2014, 09:45 AM
JW has the team by the sack, no depth!

JW is fine... He should get a nice deal, nothing huge but decent...

Then he can be tradable if we draft another OLB next year

LatrobePA
05-15-2014, 09:54 AM
I honestly think he's the next great LB for the Steelers.

coldrolled
05-15-2014, 10:12 AM

i hope he kills it, i always liked him... ktrain never liked his glass shoulders... lol

NeilPatrickBanana
05-15-2014, 10:12 AM

I think that label gets handed out too easily.

But I do expect Worrilds to have a pretty good year, easily replacing Woodley's sack production. Even when he's not getting the sack, his speed should flush the pocket enough to create sacks for others.

Steeltrap
05-15-2014, 10:32 AM
I think that label gets handed out too easily.

But I do expect Worrilds to have a pretty good year, easily replacing Woodley's sack production. Even when he's not getting the sack, his speed should flush the pocket enough to create sacks for others.

The guy is doing all the right things. No reason I can see for him not to have a good year and to get a good contract offer. But if worse comes to worse and he doesn't like our offer, then we do what we've done throughout our history, draft a LB and keep going.

SteelCityKid5
05-15-2014, 01:37 PM
I never hated him. We only got samples of him. I want a full healthy season out of this dude. He has A LOT of potential.

tburg68
05-16-2014, 11:54 AM
It's all on him at this point. If he plays well, he will be with the Steelers next year. If he doesn't live up to the $9mil price tag, he will be sent packing.

Steeltown26
05-22-2014, 11:03 AM
I think a lot is riding on this kids shoulders in terms of the Steelers success. He showed up big last season but now its time to take it up a notch and to become a dominant outside force in this league. Its a tall order but I don't think a being a decent or good OLB is going to be good enough.

Having said this, I am very excited about the young stable of linebackers. Jarvis Jones should take a big step forward this year. Timmons is in his prime and Shazier has off the chart potential. With all this talent, I still think Worild's development as a potential force in this game is the lynch pin for this up and coming season on defense. 12 plus sacks and we are in the playoffs...

Steeltrap
05-22-2014, 12:09 PM
It's all on him at this point. If he plays well, he will be with the Steelers next year. If he doesn't live up to the $9mil price tag, he will be sent packing.

I hope he plays well. That way, drafting another LB won't be that high on the priority list (depth purposes). Because we need to address the safety & NT positions with our first couple of picks.

Big T
05-22-2014, 01:55 PM
I hope he plays well. That way, drafting another LB won't be that high on the priority list (depth purposes). Because we need to address the safety & NT positions with our first couple of picks.

Safety is not a high need. McClendon was nowhere near as bad as people are making him out to be. If he doesn't perform this year, ok, sign/draft his replacement. But drafting a NT in the 1st next year would be silly. Our biggest need next season will be at CB. They'll be fine this year but next year, assuming Ike is gone, they'll need to draft/sign a replacement.

coldrolled
05-22-2014, 03:09 PM

You are under estimating McCullers i think... I would love to see him be the steal of the draft in the DT department...

Manziel needs to see this pic...

http://www.fmb360.com/steelers/tenn_medium.jpg

JensK
05-22-2014, 03:24 PM
You are under estimating McCullers i think... I would love to see him be the steal of the draft in the DT department...

I think you are overestimating him. He is a huge dude, but he is slower than slow, and his padlevels are rubbish too.

coldrolled
05-22-2014, 04:56 PM
I think you are overestimating him. He is a huge dude, but he is slower than slow, and his padlevels are rubbish too.

Dude, he said he is big boned... lol 5.30 40yard 27 bench you need to pay attention.... Nix 5.34 40 yard 24 bench

Nix is super slow.

JensK
05-22-2014, 07:44 PM
That is straight-line speed which is about as useless a stat for his position as you get. He is an anchor, sure, but lateral movement is just horid, which is what matters

Nolrog
05-22-2014, 08:16 PM

Safety has already been addressed. We have Shemarko and Mitchell as the tandem going forward. Corner, on the other hand, has no one to replace Ike.

Steeltrap
05-22-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm thinking Troy will be gone. So safety for me , along with cornerback too, remains areas of concern. Our depth is nothing back there anyway.

coldrolled
05-22-2014, 09:29 PM
That is straight-line speed which is about as useless a stat for his position as you get. He is an anchor, sure, but lateral movement is just horid, which is what matters

he needs to bull rush straight forward and have 2 ol holding him back. i dont get what else you need him to do. he seemed to move pretty good in tennessee

Heyward and Tuitt can then kill the QB or RB .. the lb's will be better off too.

Big T
05-22-2014, 09:44 PM
I'm thinking Troy will be gone. So safety for me , along with cornerback too, remains areas of concern. Our depth is nothing back there anyway.

Troy likely will be gone after this season, and then a 3rd year Shamarko Thomas takes over at SS. We have our starters in Mike Mitchell and Shamarko Thomas. You don't spend a 1st round pick on safety depth. Corner is this teams biggest need going into the 2015 offseason.

Steeltrap
05-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Troy likely will be gone after this season, and then a 3rd year Shamarko Thomas takes over at SS. We have our starters in Mike Mitchell and Shamarko Thomas. You don't spend a 1st round pick on safety depth. Corner is this teams biggest need going into the 2015 offseason.

Not according to Carnell Lake. In reading the article on Steelers.com, Lake says the corner position is fine. I believe him. He has no reason to lie. And the front office drafted accordingly like the position is fine. I have no choice but to believe them.

TarlsQtr
05-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Not according to Carnell Lake. In reading the article on Steelers.com, Lake says the corner position is fine. I believe him. He has no reason to lie. And the front office drafted accordingly like the position is fine. I have no choice but to believe them.

A coach's job is 50 percent propaganda. Is Lake supposed to say, days after a draft where we did not take a CB until the 5th round, "Holy sh!t, we are screwed!"?

Of course he is going to display confidence in what he has. Watching Brice McCain play the last couple of years should tell us differently. I am reminded of Troy's injuries in 2012. Tomlin's response was (as it always is) "The standard is the standard." Did anyone REALLY believe that Robert Golden was going to step in and play to the "standard" against Dallas?

coldrolled
05-23-2014, 09:16 AM

See Video.. He is Huge...

http://youtu.be/PIG0oGuWo6E

JensK
05-23-2014, 09:58 AM
See Video.. He is Huge...

http://youtu.be/PIG0oGuWo6E

Haha, that movie has quite a few funny scenes like that one! :)

Here is the deal, I know he is a immovable object, who'll belittle most players. However, we rarely ask our players to just maul their way through players. Our d-line players generally has to be quick enough to shift vertically. Right now, he is not. Not even close. And, as I mentioned. While is is a big dude, he does not utilize all that size, as he plays too upright, so he is easy to gain leverage on.

That being said, I loved the pick. He is an interesting developmental player, who could become a player someday with the proper coaching. For now, however, I think people a blinded a little bit by hes impressive size.

coldrolled
05-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Right On! You can't teach speed or size.. too Short or Slow.. If we coach him up, it would be great.
Maybe he can play fullback when its short and goal.

Steeltrap
05-23-2014, 10:34 AM
A coach's job is 50 percent propaganda. Is Lake supposed to say, days after a draft where we did not take a CB until the 5th round, "Holy sh!t, we are screwed!"?

Of course he is going to display confidence in what he has. Watching Brice McCain play the last couple of years should tell us differently. I am reminded of Troy's injuries in 2012. Tomlin's response was (as it always is) "The standard is the standard." Did anyone REALLY believe that Robert Golden was going to step in and play to the "standard" against Dallas?

I agree with you. But...they drafted (their actions) also indicate that they feel their fine at cornerback. Your right about propaganda, but propaganda is just that until actions are displayed. And by the way they drafted, they don't think the cornerback issue is that big a deal. At least that's the way I see it. But I'll be watching to see what they do when some compitent cornerbacks lose their jobs in the remainder of the off season.

coldrolled
05-23-2014, 12:03 PM
But I'll be watching to see what they do when some compitent cornerbacks lose their jobs in the remainder of the off season.

This!

TarlsQtr
05-23-2014, 12:20 PM
I agree with you. But...they drafted (their actions) also indicate that they feel their fine at cornerback. Your right about propaganda, but propaganda is just that until actions are displayed. And by the way they drafted, they don't think the cornerback issue is that big a deal. At least that's the way I see it. But I'll be watching to see what they do when some compitent cornerbacks lose their jobs in the remainder of the off season.

Well, I suspect it is twofold.

1) They believe in the "a good pass rush will help the CBs" school of thought. This makes sense in that the Steelers have never put a great deal of stock in drafting CBs high. In that regard, you are right. The coaches may think they are good enough if they have a good pass rush. However, I do not believe it means they think the CB cadre they have is good.

2) I just do not believe the CB they wanted was there when they picked. They wanted Gilbert and would have picked him if he was there according to reports. Then Fuller went a pick before. It is not that CB was not a need and they were happy with McCain, they just did not want Dennard at 15 for some reason. You then get a 1st round talent in the 2nd round with Tuitt. Cannot pass it up. They loved Archer in the 3rd and got another huge talent in Bryant in the 4th. The draft just did not play out well for CBs going to the Steelers. Better talents available for other positions at the time or an available CB would have been a reach.

Big T
05-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Not to mention that even if they had drafted a CB in the 1st, he wasn't going to start this year. He'd be behind Ike, Cortez, and Gay. The starters in the secondary were set for this year no matter what they did in the draft. Come next year, Ike likely won't be back. With the cap spike they can sign a starter quality CB like they did with Mike Mitchell when we had a glaring hole at FS after the season, and they can draft their next guy. CB wasn't a dire need for this year. A future starter is the problem. I'd be willing to bet they sign another veteran guy post June 2.

huntem
05-23-2014, 05:51 PM
I think a number 2 corner will be a need in next year's free agency too. Hoping Cortez Allen can step up as a number 1

Clevelandsux
05-29-2014, 08:43 PM
I thought we gave him a contract.

K Train
05-30-2014, 08:24 AM
He doesn't get a fair shake in here but I have always liked him, and he has earned his spot on the field. There is a reason he is still here and other have left. he will be a ProBowler this year if he stays healthy. Mark it down..
a pro bowler lol.

Why would he complain? Hes been colecting a nice 2nd round paycheck and now hes getting $9 million based on nothing more than no depth at the position. I hihgly doubt they work out a deal this season, i wouldnt sign one if i was him and i wouldnt offer what he would sign if i was the steelers.

jesus

mccullers was undraftable as a football player, draftable as a huge man. I dont want to say guys like him come and go all the time, but they definitely come and go every now and then they never really stick.

Worilds has been bad to barely average throughout his tenure here playing in a system that is supposed to plug and play OLBs. I do think the addition of Tuitt will help get back to that kind of scheme, but i doubt worilds is their guy considering the coin hes going to want

Nolrog
05-30-2014, 08:25 AM

He was designated a transition player, which means 1 year contract at the amount of the top 10 (I think) paid at the position (which comes out to be 9.something million.) He will be a free agent next year (although they could use the transition tag or franchise him then.)

TarlsQtr
05-30-2014, 09:33 AM
I agree for the most part, K Train. Things start to "click" at this point for NFL players, so I would not laugh at the thought of Worilds making a Pro Bowl. Your bigger point is correct though. Worilds has shown us nothing yet to make us confident that he will be a Pro Bowl player.

If we keep him past this season it will probably be out of desperation. If he plays well this season, he will want too much for us to pay him. Actually, he may want too much even if he does not play too well.

The wild card is Jones. If he busts, then we may need to overpay to keep Worilds another year so that we can draft and develop.

coldrolled
05-30-2014, 12:23 PM
mccullers was undraftable as a football player, draftable as a huge man. I dont want to say guys like him come and go all the time, but they definitely come and go every now and then they never really stick.

The more you read about mccullers the more he is an unusal big man.. leaner, quicker, athletic for 360, Just bigger..
He may be able to break the prototypical mold for NT. It would kill the rest of the AFCN if he does make it happen.

K Train
05-30-2014, 12:36 PM
I agree for the most part, K Train. Things start to "click" at this point for NFL players, so I would not laugh at the thought of Worilds making a Pro Bowl. Your bigger point is correct though. Worilds has shown us nothing yet to make us confident that he will be a Pro Bowl player.

If we keep him past this season it will probably be out of desperation. If he plays well this season, he will want too much for us to pay him. Actually, he may want too much even if he does not play too well.

The wild card is Jones. If he busts, then we may need to overpay to keep Worilds another year so that we can draft and develop.
I think the revamped dline is going to be huge for the defense. Wish we kept woods though.

It was nice seeing worilds win a few battles last year, but I think hes still just an average player and his ceiling is not nearly as high as some want it to be. Hes going to cost money they probably wont have. I hope jones doesnt bust, that would be horrible but im hoping the emergence of heyward and the addition of tuitt will get this scheme back to the "plug and play" OLB scheme it once was, making worilds massively expendable. They invested big in the dline before and then when the OLBs were thriving they invested big in them, now those Dlinemen are all gone and then poof the OLBs fell off massively.....part age, part scheme.

The more you read about mccullers the more he is an unusal big man.. leaner, quicker, athletic for 360, Just bigger..
He may be able to break the prototypical mold for NT. It would kill the rest of the AFCN if he does make it happen.

Hes just like TJ Barners from GT a few years back...6-7 360+...guys like them rarely can play football....poor conditioning, too tall, ect.

Herman Johnson from LSU is another guy, heavy feet, poor conditioning, gets out leveraged

Its a nice thought, that size is incredible...just pretty unlikely

He was also the worst player at the senior bowl imo

KemoTherapy
05-30-2014, 03:32 PM
As far as Big Mac goes I can see one of two outcomes in his future. Either he gets cut quickly or he gets turned into some sort of long term project. As much as I'd like to see him succeed, I can't see him playing any position other than the nose and that's only if he can find some way to win the leaverage battle. The idea of slimming him down and playing him at end seems ludicrous given his ( lack of) lateral movement. And like most giants he actually suffers from being too timid,quiet and has a lack of a mean streak.

Clevelandsux
05-31-2014, 08:34 PM
Give him one year, then see if hes worthy of a bigger contract.

Nolrog
06-01-2014, 07:48 AM
Give him one year, then see if hes worthy of a bigger contract.

That may happen, but there's a risk. If he has a great year then his price will go up. If he has a bad year, of course, it will go down some too. If I was Worilds, I'd want some more certainty (like, 20 million guaranteed over the next 4-5 years.)

TarlsQtr
06-12-2014, 09:20 AM
It appears that the contract Worilds is working to earn will not come until next year. From Ed Boooochette:

Good morning and TGIT, yes, Thursday. I have off tomorrow. Let’s do this:

--- Turns out, the Steelers made Jason Worilds a multi-year contract offer awhile ago, sources say. His side did not accept it. I have no idea what that offer was, but I am told that offer stands and they will go no higher, that he either takes it or plays this season for the $9.7 million one-year deal he signed as their transition player.

--- A little more than a year ago, I heard that the Steelers did not make a big play to keep Keenan Lewis because they thought Cortez Allen was better. So what’s the reason now for not at least making Allen a multi-year contract offer? Perhaps they no longer hold their previous opinion?

--- If Allen has a Keenan Lewis-like final contract year, the Steelers may not be able to re-sign him. If he has a poor season, they may not want to re-sign him. So where would that leave them at cornerback in 2015? As we say, there is a lot of football to be played between now and then but assuming Ike Taylor is in his final year, it would leave them with William Gay, Shaq Richardson, Antwon Blake and Isaiah Green.

--- Rod Woodson, who was a coaching intern for the Steelers last spring and summer, is doing likewise with the Denver Broncos now.

--- Let us celebrate the final session of the awkwardly labeled OTAs. Next week, we can call it minicamp because that is what they call it and it is required of all players unless excused. In other words, Troy Polamalu might even show up.

--- Onto a few queries for Ask Ed:

--- YOU: What’s the difference between QB pressures and QB hurries? A story in the Pittsburgh paper that caters to wingnuts said Jarvis Jones led the team in QB hurries a year ago, while your story today said Heyward led the team in 2013 with 29 QB pressures.

ED: I’ve asked that question of coaches and never could get a proper answer other than, I believe they mean the same. The Steelers used to keep stats -- provided by their coaches after watching video – on both quarterback pressures AND hurries as separate categories. Now, they list them all under QP or pressures in their defensive stats, although in a game-by-game breakdown provided to us, they call them quarterback “hurries/pressures.’’ I can assure you that Jarvis Jones did not lead them in anything last season. The coaches had him down for 11 QP, tied for fifth on defense. They had Cam Heyward with 31, Jason Worilds with 29, Brett Keisel with 26.

--- YOU: My query today involves the Steelers “Dime a Dozen” theory. We have heard this for years about the WR’s. Does the team perhaps take the same approach to CB’s? No 1st round pick since 1997, lower picks starting there for years—is this a prudent approach for a team that has had trouble generating turnovers for a couple of years? The WR’s have at least been very productive despite their draft status. As always, thanks for all the great B& G info!

ED: Judging by the draft, you would think they thought of cornerbacks as a nickel a dozen. To draft what you think is a great cornerback, you usually have to get one in the top 15 of the first round and they rarely have been that high and when they were, they grabbed a quarterback. Rod Woodson went to them as the 10-th player overall and they were fortunate he fell that far. Chad Scott was their last first-round draft pick at the position at No. 24 overall in 1997. They have not had a Pro Bowl cornerback since Rod Woodson made it for the 1996 season, the longest drought of any position for them. Somehow, though, they won two Super Bowls and went to a third with what they had. I do not believe they think less of the position, just that they’ve only been adequate in filling it. http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/06/12/Worilds-Passed-On-Steelers-Offer.html

K Train
06-12-2014, 09:24 AM
CB could get sticky.

I hope Allen turns out to be better than Lewis, but for now im comfortable with the group they have since they addressed the pass rush so much.

Allen looks good most of the time, especially on the outside. Struggles a bit on the inside imo

Worilds wont be a steeler next year, but if the season opens without a contract for him ill win $50 lol. Not really sure what the long term plan at OLB is though, another position that could get sticky

TarlsQtr
06-12-2014, 09:39 AM
CB could get sticky.

I hope Allen turns out to be better than Lewis, but for now im comfortable with the group they have since they addressed the pass rush so much.

Allen looks good most of the time, especially on the outside. Struggles a bit on the inside imo

Worilds wont be a steeler next year, but if the season opens without a contract for him ill win $50 lol. Not really sure what the long term plan at OLB is though, another position that could get sticky

Steelers nightmare scenario: Worilds leaves and JJ does not improve dramatically. Even just Worilds leaving probably means a high pick (1 or 2) for an OLB next season or at least a James Harrison like rental.

As far as CB, I obviously want Allen to do well and stay but I am not as worried about the position. I think we can find serviceable second tier CBs on the free agent market if necessary. The bigger concern at that position for me is depth. As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely no one behind Ike and Allen at the moment.

Steeltrap
06-12-2014, 09:43 AM
I think we will be able to focus in on the CB position now in next year's draft.

cali_fan
06-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Since he turned down our contract how much is he looking for? Is he trying to break out bank too?

TarlsQtr
06-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Since he turned down our contract how much is he looking for? Is he trying to break out bank too?

He knows he will never get $9.5 million per year if he signs now.

But the Steelers are obliged to pay him that amount this season. Any negotiated contract would bring the number down. He may have decided that taking that money and then negotiating a new contract after 2014 is the best route to go. The possible downside for him is if he does not play well or gets injured. Then, he would be offered quite a bit less when he goes on the market after this season.

Blitzburghpete
06-15-2014, 02:49 PM
This worilds contract is working out bit like the Jermichal finley situation in money terms at least. Take ten mil now or risk what could happen if you don't.

I like worilds, i think he's a very good OLB, but not a 10 mill a year one. PLus --- vince williams establishes himself at ILB and Shaz goes to OLB in worilds place...

Steeltrap
06-15-2014, 03:58 PM
This situation with Woirlds is slowly turning into a nightmare. We don't know exactly what the offer was from the front office. But I'm sure that it was an offer that they felt was consistent to their salary structure when you consider what they have to pay Ben next year too.

60/40 that woirlds is not on this team next year and considering we have a defensive system that doesn't allow rookie LB's to come in and make an immediate impact, we don't have a lot of choices. I'm upset about this because this goes back to a front office that has missed on late round draft picks a lot of the time in the last 5 years and subsequently, we have no depth.

ChucktownSteeler
06-15-2014, 06:28 PM
I think Allen is more grounded than Keenan. Just a hunch I have.

K Train
06-16-2014, 08:14 AM
This situation with Woirlds is slowly turning into a nightmare. We don't know exactly what the offer was from the front office. But I'm sure that it was an offer that they felt was consistent to their salary structure when you consider what they have to pay Ben next year too.

60/40 that woirlds is not on this team next year and considering we have a defensive system that doesn't allow rookie LB's to come in and make an immediate impact, we don't have a lot of choices. I'm upset about this because this goes back to a front office that has missed on late round draft picks a lot of the time in the last 5 years and subsequently, we have no depth.
you miss on late round draft picks more often then not regardless. I can live with Anotnio Brown and Kelvin Becahum being studs...its the mid round drafting that leaves much to be desired

Steeltrap
06-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Any picks after round two are later round picks to me. And I'd say that not including the draft that just passed, 3 out of 5 years, the FO has missed on late round picks.

steelers4life66
06-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Jason Worilds reportedly rejected Steelers offer
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000358784/article/report-jason-worilds-rejected-pittsburgh-steelers-offer

ChucktownSteeler
06-16-2014, 07:50 PM
This is the problem when you wait to develop young talent.

K Train
06-17-2014, 07:53 AM
No this is what happens when every mid tier supporting player wants to get paid like a franchise player

NeilPatrickBanana
06-17-2014, 02:51 PM
No this is what happens when every mid tier supporting player wants to get paid like a franchise player

No this is what happens when you aren't proactive in roster management.

K Train
06-17-2014, 02:54 PM
signing brown and pouncey was very pro active. Going into the year renting worilds and giving him a take it or leave it deal is not letting worilds use leverage because he has none to begin with

TarlsQtr
06-17-2014, 03:08 PM
No this is what happens when you aren't proactive in roster management.

Yeah, but let's be fair. Would you have been happy if we extended Worilds before last season with zero previous production? Heck, I am still not convinced that he is the guy we want to invest 4-5 years and tens of millions with.

We complain when they do extend guys (like Woodley) who do not pan out and then complain when they do not (Lewis). Hindsight is easy.

Steeltrap
06-17-2014, 03:39 PM
But a front office is suppose to have foresight too. And very little is being displayed the last 3 years.

If you want good corner play, your going to have to pay. Period. Good corners are a premium commodity in Pro football and good ones cost money. So they should have ponied up for Lewis.

K Train
06-17-2014, 03:42 PM
They overpaid brown the with money wallace turned down...now the brown deal is looking like a bargain.

Lewis could have stayed, he didnt want to. Id rather they let him walk back to new orleans at a decent deal than overpay and make him stay here (where he was never exactly a world beater and not as good of a fit for lebeau as is he for Rob Ryan)

HUNT4SEVEN
06-17-2014, 05:03 PM
He has a bad ankle now, and he turned down a contract extension already, so Pouncey got paid, now either he accepts what the Steelers are offering, or bye bye, now we see why they got Moats in the off season and drafted Shazier.

NeilPatrickBanana
06-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Yeah, but let's be fair. Would you have been happy if we extended Worilds before last season with zero previous production? Heck, I am still not convinced that he is the guy we want to invest 4-5 years and tens of millions with.

We complain when they do extend guys (like Woodley) who do not pan out and then complain when they do not (Lewis). Hindsight is easy.

Of course we complain, the guys paid to get it right, have gotten it wrong too many times over the last 5 years.

They could've had bargains if they were remotely proactive with Lewis, Worrilds...

The hindsight should be that waiting for young players to "earn" the big contract is as risky or riskier than the middle tier contract that's paying for potential by projecting ability.

Given Woodley/Harrison scenarios, offering Worrilds a short/mid tier contract LAST year would've been smarter... If it doesn't work out the cap hit is less, the dead money is less, everything is more favorable.

TarlsQtr
06-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Of course we complain, the guys paid to get it right, have gotten it wrong too many times over the last 5 years.

They could've had bargains if they were remotely proactive with Lewis, Worrilds...

The hindsight should be that waiting for young players to "earn" the big contract is as risky or riskier than the middle tier contract that's paying for potential by projecting ability.

Given Woodley/Harrison scenarios, offering Worrilds a short/mid tier contract LAST year would've been smarter... If it doesn't work out the cap hit is less, the dead money is less, everything is more favorable.

Of course they get paid to make those decisions but we do need to remember that even the best front offices make mistakes when deciding who to sign and for how much. Everyone wants to point out Lewis (who wanted to go to NO by all indications) but ignore AB or letting people (like Wallace) who will be overpaid go.

And I am puzzled regarding the Worilds criticism. The guy did absolutely nothing until the second half of last season. 1) your criticism assumes that he would have wanted to sign a contract meeting your specifications. He knew he had a good chance to start last year, which is his ticket to get a big second contract. 2) the howls of outrage at signing an injury machine long term would have been deafening.

cali_fan
06-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Just read an article saying worilds was never even offered a contract?
I'm lost