PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Steeler Roster (Projected)

greg1964
05-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Now that the 2014 daft is in the books, allow me to save the Steelers time/money and energy and set the 53 man roster and practice squad now. (05/13/14) Starter in bold

QB:
Ben Roethlisburgher: one of the most underrated QB in the league; entering his prime years as a QB. Hope he learned that getting rid of the ball will help him play all 16 games of the season. Should be giving the freedom to run a lot of no-huddle this season, with great results.

Bruce Gradkoski: a capable backup that I hope I don’t see again this year. Because that means that Ben played all the games again.

Landry Jones: With a year within the system, hope to see better results in the pre-season. I hope I never see Jones is a regular season game this year. If we have, something has gone this year for the Steelers. The only question to be asked this year for Jones is he a capable backup for Ben NEXT year.

RB:
LeVeon Bell: LeVeon will be the “bell cow” for the Steelers this year and for years to come: Can run with power, can catch the ball and has enough speed to take it the distance.

LeGarrette Blount: Give the Steelers someone that could Bell a rest, or carrier the load is something happen to Bell. Expect him to get around 10 touches a game, but has not shown that catching the ball is his strength.

Will Johnson: the only FB on the team, and is a good player. I personnel would like to see him more involved in the offense.

Dri Archer: On the series that Bell has off, on third down Archer could be on the field: At 4.29 there isn’t a player in the NFL that could cover him in space. Could you imagine Moore and Archer in the slots with Brown and Wheaton on the outside? But his primary role with the Black and Gold will be special teams as a kick/punt returner.

WR
Antonio Brown: Pro-Bowl, may never be consider one of the best WR in the NFL, but is one of the most productive player in the NFL.

Markus Wheaton: The fact that the Steelers didn’t address the WR position until the 4th round, shows how much confidence they have in Wheaton. People seams to forget, Wheaton was doing well, last season until he injured the reinjured his hand last year. In fact (JC) only became a factor after Wheaton went down. The Black and Gold are expecting big things from him this season.

Lance Moore: the perfect move the changes receiver. Will be the 3rd receiver on the field and will play mostly from the slot position. I hated to see (JC) leave, but I’m ok with Moore being given his role.

Martavis Bryant: Steeler Nation can you please stop whining about a tall receiver. At 6’4” he has jump ball ability. From my understanding he is also a 4.4 guy, and is a “one trick pony” guy. I know he played with Sammy Watkins in college, but see me in two years.

Derek Moye: another tall receiver at 6’5”, I like him, although I don’t like the TD he dropped last year. He showed something last preseason and in his limited work during the regular season. Another back shoulder, red zone target for Ben.

Darrius Hayward-Bay: Has the speed but not the hands, consistence has been his major issue. If the Steelers go with only 5 WR this year, DHB would be the old man out, but if they keep six he has a shot

TE:
Heath Miller: when healthy the best all-around TE in the game: He is not the dominate blocker he once where; but he is still better than most and in a great pass catcher.

Matt Spaeth: Showed his valve in the running game once he was healthy again. And at 6’7” and 275 lbs. it’s almost like and an extra OL.

The 3rd will come down to Michael Palmer and Rob Blanchflower: Either is a great in-line blocker from my understanding. But I have heard some good things about Blanchflower

OL:
Kelvin Beachum: are there thing that Beachum need to work on…yes…but as far as I’m concern, he is you starting left tackle. I know he isn’t the “package” but he is good. It would good to see how good he can be, now that he can focus on one position this year. No more jack of all trades, master of none.

Ramon Foster: Not flashy but very solid. I don’t see pro-bowls in his future, but I also don’t see anyone beating him out of this spot for a few years.

Maurkice Pouncey: Three times All-Pro: as long as no-one drive into his legs again, I don’t see why he can’t be as good as he has been. I just hope that he is not looking for Mack type money on his new contract. I would hate to see him in another uniform next season.

David DeCastro: I loved it when the Steelers drafted him, and I love the choice even more now: Depending on the team win-lost record, he will be All-Pro very soon. We all know, winning teams get more status, and with the sack for the Steelers going down, people will start to see how good he is.

Marcus Gilbert: This is the one position on the line I don’t feel great about. Gilbert has held the position for two years, but I’m underwhelmed. Adams how something here two years ago, But he doesn’t get me excited either. Both need a TE on their side to be productive in pass-pro, and despite their size, either is a dominate run blocker. My hope is that the new OL coach get one/or both them to be more productive.

Mike Adams: See comments about Gilbert: If either of them approve, OT will be a candidate for a 1st round pick next year.

Cody Wallace: showed his valve last year when the top two centers when down. He a good backup, you know “break glass in case of an emergency” center. I don’t see him as an option as an guard long term, but could play there is needed. I personally see Pouncey moving to guard and Cody playing center, it something happen in a game.

Nik Embernate: he should be the “swing” guard: he seams to have the proper temperament from what I understand. If one of the guards were sidelined for multiple weeks, I see him as a better option the Wallace.

Guy Whimper: Let me say, I was surprised when he made the team. But he player guard and tackle for the Black and Gold last year and played well. The question for 2014 is can he hold off and Wesley Johnson of someone else for another year. I say yes.

DL:
Cameron Heywood: this year he becomes the “Aaron Smith” of the DL: in his fourth year he is the old vet. And their BEST defense lineman, he should NEVER come off the field. The only thing I see stopping him from Pro-bowls is injury.

Steve McLendon: No…he is not Casy Hampton, but he isn’t bad either. I think he and Haywood will help form the new “Men of Steel”

Stephen Tuitt: again I loved this pick, but at the same time was sadden, because this pick means the end of “Da Beard” career in the Black and Gold. Unlike most, DE on the Steeler roster, Tuitt played and 3-3 end in college. And according to the DL coach, Truitt already has the atttiputes that they look for in a DE. In others words, he should not have to break him down and rebuilt him like he had to do with others. I see him as a starter from the opening of the season. Beside he don’t have a long time starter to beat out.

Brain Arnfelt: He will see action this season as the swing DE. The Steelers were very high on him last year, and when some injuries took place he actually played some in the regular season. I expect between 10-15 snap per game on the defense.

Cam Thomas: I know the Steelers say, he will see snaps and an DE this year, but I’m not seeing it: How many snaps will depend on how many DL the Steelers keep, and if he beat out Fanqupo as the backup NT. When the Steelers go to their 2/4/5 look: I see Haywood and McLendon/Tuitt as the DL. I see Thomans as a 10 snaps per game player.

Habron Fanqupo: his competition for playing time is with Cam Thomas. I see him making the 53 man roster, but being in-active for game day.

DB:
Ike Taylor: I like Ike and I think some of the problems he had last year was because of poor FS play. There were a number of times it appear that Taylor was looking for help over the top and did receive it.
There is no one on the roster that I see taking his spot.

Cortez Allen: He needs to stay healthy and get off to s better start to the season. He is good enough to play the slot or the boundary corner. I’m looking for a big season from Allen.

Troy Polamalu: I for one am glad to see Troy back this year, but it may be his last. He will walk into the HOF five years after he walks always. I’m just glad it will be as a Steeler.

Mike Mitchell: He as the speed and the ball skills that should help with more turnovers this year.

William Gay: can the boundary corner but is best suited for the slot. But when a team has big TE/WR in the slot, it may be better for Allen to play the slot with Gay on the outside.

Shamarko Thomas: He will take over for TP next year, but I see him was the nickel safety. Has the speed and will hit you when he gets there.

Will Allen: can help if someone injured and will take his spot as special team captain.

Antwon Blake: a good special teamer, and was one of the reasons that the Steelers passed on Dennard in the draft.

Brice McCain: up and down career with Houston, but was another reason the Steelers passed on Dennard.

Robert Golden: a good special teamer and will backup Mitchell/Allen

LB
Jarvis Jones: Showed flashes, but needed to add weight to be able to hold the point of attack. The Steelers will need more than one sack from him to make the season successes.

Jason Worilds: Hope the Steelers signs him to a long term deal this year, before he “blow-up” for whatever reason he prefers playing on the offense strong side.

Lawrence Timmons: IMO one of the most underrated LB in the NFL. Has the speed to drop into coverage and the mass to make the ball carrier feel it on running plays. Should have made the Pro-Bowl last year.

Ryan Shazier: Allow me to say when I first heard the pick I wasn’t a “happy camper” but once I thought about it, and heard that the Steelers play is to play him inside, I began to love the pick. Teaming with Timmons will give the Steelers the fastest ILB on the NFL:

Arthur Moats: Until the pick of Shazier I would have bet that Moats was going to line up next to Timmons. But now, see him as a special team ace, and the first LB off the bench for either position.

Sean Spence: If healthy he will make this team. Spence and Shazier are the same type of player. Speed and quick “see-to-do” reaction; both have played some OLB in college, but both are projection as ILB in the pros.

Vince Williams: is a two down ILB that has to taken off the field on 3rd down or when a team uses three WR.

Chris Carter: maybe he will have a Jason Worilds experience this year. But I’m not willing be bet my house on this. But he is the only backup OLB with experience on the roster, which is the reason for my next choice to make the roster.

James Harrison: if he is willing to play for the vet. min. sign him up: I fully expect Jones and Worilds to be as advertised, but who would be the “man” if one of them was to go down. And if they do that, I can wear my Harrison jersey again, once he take the number away from Fanqupo.

Special Team
Greg Warren: every year the Steelers bring in someone to take his place, and every year he beat them off. One year that will not be the case, but I don’t know if it’s going to be this year.

Shaun Suisham: made all the PAT and missed only FG last year.

Brad Wing: I’m tried on musical punter every year.

Practice Squad:
Nick Williams (DE)
Daniel McCuller (DT)
Jordon Zunwalt (LB)
Wesley Johnson (OL)
Alvester Alexandria (RB)
Chris Hubbard (OL)

NeilPatrickBanana
05-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Really good work!

It's WAY too early... but I'll offer some feedback

1. I really doubt they keep Moye. A 5th WR make sense if he has special teams value (Heyward-Bey), a 6th WR who would only get a hat on game day if someone gets injured? Sorry, but that's a practice squad spot. Bryant takes Moye's roster.

2. 7-9 Oline... I think they drafted Wesley Johnson for a good reason. I think he's a lock to make the roster and knock 1 of those 3 out... or they keep 10.

3. Fangupo... really, what's the point? He has almost no upside... and very little experience. If we are going to give a spot, and not dress a guy... I'd rather it be the guy with tantalizing upside and no experience (McCullers or N.Williams). With so much focus on sub package football... I doubt will waste a depth spot on a gap plugger with no lateral agility.

4. I hope Shaq Richardson finds his way to the roster. Robert Golden is relatively useless.

5. Linebacker... is going to be interesting to see how it shakes out... but hopefully Vince Williams and Chris Carter are no where near the roster. With the amount of young talent we've added, these nobodies should be shown the road. Jordan Zumwalt will not make it to the practice squad.

Blitzburghpete
05-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Great read and i agree with a lot of it. I think this has been one of the better Steeler off seasons, in terms of cute FA signings and Steeler type players in the draft.

I can see Lance Moore getting people thinking about Hines Ward, Blount reminding us of the Bus.

I'd also like to see S Thomas get more playing time as i've seen / heard great things about him and he was a 2nd round pick last year so lets get his talent on the field. Hope J Jones steps his game up for the high price tag he was last year ( ie round 1 )

I still would have liked the steelers to have addressed the CB position with something more substantial than a cast off Texan, and a 5th round ( or 4th i can't remember ) draft pick.

I still would like us to have got a monster Tackle ( either left or right ) to make one of the tackle positions a lock down.

What has happened to Valesco ? Did someone else sign him ?

TarlsQtr
05-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Great read and i agree with a lot of it. I think this has been one of the better Steeler off seasons, in terms of cute FA signings and Steeler type players in the draft.

I can see Lance Moore getting people thinking about Hines Ward, Blount reminding us of the Bus.

I'd also like to see S Thomas get more playing time as i've seen / heard great things about him and he was a 2nd round pick last year so lets get his talent on the field. Hope J Jones steps his game up for the high price tag he was last year ( ie round 1 )

I still would have liked the steelers to have addressed the CB position with something more substantial than a cast off Texan, and a 5th round ( or 4th i can't remember ) draft pick.

I still would like us to have got a monster Tackle ( either left or right ) to make one of the tackle positions a lock down.

What has happened to Valesco ? Did someone else sign him ?

Velasco is a FA and will not be signed.

Blitzburghpete
05-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Velasco is a FA and will not be signed.

How so ? I thought he came in and played superbly considering he was off the street.

Big T
05-13-2014, 07:29 PM
How so ? I thought he came in and played superbly considering he was off the street.

Ruptured achilles late in the year, won't be ready until midseason at the earliest, already have 2 centers under contract, and they just drafted Wesley Johnson who can play all 5 positions. Signing Velasco would be a waste.

KevinE
05-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Let's get through TC b4 guessing roster

steelchamp204
05-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Bell taken off on 3rd down to bring in Archer. Highly doubt it, I can see Bell and Archer on the field at the same time on multiple occasions on 3rd down.

Both very good catchers and Bell is good at picking up the extra blitzer.

Archer will bring some dynamic different looks to this offense.

Reg3835
05-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Absolutely no way they will keep 6 WR on the roster especially w/ Archer capable of playing the slot. DHB has the edge over Moye for the 5th spot because DHB can be the gunner on special teams.

Moye will fight it out w/ Justin Brown for a practice squad spot.

FlatsSteeler
05-14-2014, 08:29 AM
Impossible to pick a Opening Day Roster in May.......Especially a team in Transition......I like some of the draft choices, I hope Spence makes it, the O line is still a WIP, WR spots are open, Defensive spots are all but a few open.......hell rosters change during the season hard to say in May.....

huntem
05-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Here is my Projected Roster with Comments
QB
Ben Roethlisberger- Franchise Quarterback
Bruce Gradkowski- Solid Veteran Backup QB
Landry Jones- Hope he can live up to his fourth round billing and be the backup of the future.
RB
Le'Veon Bell- This is his breakout year
LeGarette Blount- Will provide relief for Bell and maybe can return kicks
Dri Archer- Hope he can be the next Dexter McCluster and be a top Kick Retuner and Punt Returner
FB
Will Johnson- Has played well when given the chance
WR
Antonio Brown- a true number one corner and pro bowler
Marcus Wheaton- Need him to step up this year. Has the potential to this year. Did not impress last year.
Lance Moore- A solid veteran receiver. Rather have Jerricho Cotchery but Lance Moore will do.
Martavis Bryant- hoping he can contribute at right away in the red zone and on special teams. Character is a concern.
Darius Heyward-Bey- Lots of talent. Never lived up to it but I think will stick because he is willing to play special teams.
TE
Heath Miller- great career as a Steeler. Hope he has enough in the tank to be a top pass catcher and a blocker for them.
Matt Spaeth- a talented blocker coming off a major injury. Hope he can come back strong this year.
Michael Palmer- They will keep him for his special teams ability. Moved ahead of Paulsen on the depth chart last year.
Rob Blanchflower- Hope he can be the steal of the draft. Will probably be inactive to start.
C
Maurkice Pouncey- A three time pro bowler. I think his days in pittsburgh are numbered as he will be overpriced as a free agent.
Cody Wallace- A fiesty backup. Need to teach him to swing at guard this preseason.
G
LG Ramon Foster- has been consistent for the steelers
RG- David Decastro- has Pro Bowl upside
Nic Embernate- showed some nasty last preseason. Will be last to make the roster, I think
T
LT Kelvin Beachum- has done everything they told him to do. Was a good pass blocker last year and is serviceable at LT
RT Marcus Gilbert- Hopefully injuries are what set him back in the past. Seriviceable RT
Mike Adams- has the upside to stay on the roster despite character concerns and stabbing incident. Will be last chance to show he was worth second round pick.
Wesley Johnson- like his versatility. Kelvin Beachum lite.
DE
LE Stephon Tuitt- Like this pick with a lot of upside. Hopefully he can win the job opposite Heyward. Otherwise Cam Thomas will be the guy opposite Heyward.
RE Cameron Heyward- was a beast last year. Hope they can sign him long term
Brian Arnfelt- Had a good preseason last year. Will need to prove himself again to be a part of the rotation.
Nikolas Williams- This guy is a project but I think they will carry him for his upside.
NT
Steve McClendon- good against the run. Has proven himself as a NT.
Cam Thomas- a serviceable backup at NT. May need to play DE until young DEs opposite Heyward are ready.
OLB
Jason Worilds- Had a great year last year. Hope they can sign him long term.
Jarvis Jones- Hope he can live up to the hype this year. Will need him to.
Arthur Moats- Versatile LB who is better suited for OLB. Was a part time player in Buffalo.
Chris Carter- knows the system and has played special teams for the steelers. Will make team because of lack of depth but I hope he will be pushed by Howard Jones.
ILB
Lawrence Timmons- thought last year was a down year for him. Will be interesting to see if he can play the BUCK role next year.
Ryan Shazier- this guy is fast. Hopefully he can contribute right away and live up to his potential. Smart enough to start right away.
Vince Williams- the future at BUCK linebacker. A vocal leader will probably be inactive though because of his lack of special teams but will be the first to start if there is an injury at ILB.
Jordan Zumwalt- a nasty, competitive player. Will make it because he has the right makeup for special teams. May be able to play OLB too.
Terrance Garvin- a long shot last year. Will make it for special teams this year again along with versatility as an OLB.
CB
Ike Taylor- a great steeler but is getting old. Selfless move taking a pay cut last year. Does keep himself in great shape.
Cortez Allen- Really hoping he takes over as the Steelers #1 corner and lives up to his potential. Slowed by injuries last year.
William Gay- a good nickel corner. More than that maybe asking a lot.
Shaquille Richardson- a developmental corner. Will make it as a gunner. Needs to work on his tackling. Character concern.
Antwan Blake- decent gunner on special teams but worry about him as a corner. Coaches say he can be a good corner. Brice McCain will have to really bounce back to make the team this year.
FS
Mike Mitchell- a serviceable Free Safety. Needs to work on his tackling. Young enough he can improve.
Robert Golden- a good special teams player and the reason he should be on the team.
SS
Troy Polamalu- great career and future hall of famer. Good enough instincts to help them this year. Days are numbered.
Will Allen- a good special teams player and will need him in the quarters defense because of lack of depth at corner after William Gay.
Shamarko Thomas- Hopefully the future at SS and he is versatile enough to help all along the secondary and on special teams.
ST
Kicker- Shaun Suisham- another good year last year
Punter- Brad Wing- not a lot of options at punter. Need him to step up.
Long Snapper- Greg Warren- has been that guy for a while now.

Practice Squad
RB- Alvester Alexander- was on the practice squad last year and will need him will only 3 RBs on the roster.
WR- Justin Brown- a sixth round pick. Maybe he can help down the line. Not a lot of upside though.
G- Chris Hubbard- was on the practice squad last year. They usually carry a G on the practice squad. I think he will be replace by embernate when Velasco is healthy and they sign him to the roster.
T Kaycee Ike- They usually carry a T on the practice squad and there aren't a lot of other options.
NT Daniel McCullers- has size and can be a project. May need him with an injury on the DL.
OLB Howard Jones- Hopefully will push Chris Carter but may have to have a year on the practice squad coming from a small school.
ILB Sean Spence- maybe a year on the practice squad will help him recover from a devastating injury.
CB- Isaiah Green- bounced between roster and practice squad last year.

greg1964
08-01-2014, 01:03 PM
After 1 week of camp here is my protection of 53

QB: (2)
Ben Roethlisberger
Bruce Gradkowski
Missing from my original prediction: Landy Jones: From what I have being READING Jones has been having a bad camp. I would sign Brendon Key onto the practice squad and have him serve as the “look team” QB

RB: (4)
Leveon Bell
LeGarrette Blount
Dri Archer
Will Johnson

WR: (5)
Antonio Brown
Markus Wheaton
Lance Moore
*Justin Brown
Martavis Bryant
Missing from my original prediction: Derek Moye: Moye or Coale could force themselves onto the roster if the Steelers keep six WR. But the question is why, since Archer can play RB/WR.

TE: (3)
Heath Miller
Matt Spaeth
*Eric Waters
Missing from my original prediction: Rob Blanchflower: his injury hurt Blanchflower and open the door for Waters. And high ankle sprain is going to last at least two/three weeks, which mean Blanchflower will miss the 1st and possible the 2nd pre-season game. Starters will play most of the 3rd game, so it sounds like PS for Blanchflower.

OL: (10)
Kelvin Beachum
Ramon Foster
Maurkice Pouncey
David DeCastro
Marcus Gilbert
Cody Wallace
*Chris Elkins
Wesley Johnson
Guy Whipper
Mike Adams
Wallace will be the backup for C/G and Johnson/Whipper/Adams for be fighting for the tackle that will get a hat on Sundays. If Johnson or Whipper can be 1st of the bench, Adams may be cut. I haven’t read anything good about Adams first week of camp. The Steelers may be looking on the waiver wire, when cuts are start being made.

DL: (6)
Cameron Heyward
Cam Thomas
Stephon Tuitt
Steve McLendon
Brian Armfelt
*Daniel McCuller
Missing from my original prediction: Josh Mauro: With Thomas and McCuller able to play some NT behind McLendon and both play snaps at DE behind Heyward and Tuitt, Josh is heading to the PS: I actually believe Armfelt will backup Haywood and Thomas will backup Tuitt and McCuller on game day.

LB (10)
Jarvis Jones
Ryan Sharier
Lawrence Timmons
Jason Worilds
Sean Spence
Vince Williams
Arthur Moats
Terence Garvin
Chris Carter
VicSo’to
I believe that ALL the non-starter LB will be involved in special teams, and THAT’S going to be fun to watch.

DB: (10)
Ike Taylor
Cortez Allen
Troy Polamalu
Mike Mitchell
William Gay
Shamarko Thomas
Shaquille Richardson
Will Allen
Jordan Dangerfield
Antwon Blake
Missing from my original prediction: Robert Golden: in this year camp Dangerfield is getting some respected and my push Golden off this roster.

Special Team (3)
Brad Wing
Shaun Suisham
Greg Warren

See my orginal post on the player breakdown

K Train
08-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Chris Carter, VicSo’to are unlikely i think. Zumwalt please

TarlsQtr
08-01-2014, 01:38 PM
After 1 week of camp here is my protection of 53

Ben Roethlisberger
Bruce Gradkowski
Missing from my original prediction: Landy Jones: From what I have being READING Jones has been having a bad camp. I would sign Brendon Key onto the practice squad and have him serve as the “look team” QB

Leveon Bell
LeGarrette Blount
Dri Archer
Will Johnson

WR: (5)
Antonio Brown
Markus Wheaton
Lance Moore
*Justin Brown
Martavis Bryant
Missing from my original prediction: Derek Moye: Moye or Coale could force themselves onto the roster if the Steelers keep six WR. But the question is why, since Archer can play RB/WR.

TE: (3)
Heath Miller
Matt Spaeth
*Eric Waters
Missing from my original prediction: Rob Blanchflower: his injury hurt Blanchflower and open the door for Waters. And high ankle sprain is going to last at least two/three weeks, which mean Blanchflower will miss the 1st and possible the 2nd pre-season game. Starters will play most of the 3rd game, so it sounds like PS for Blanchflower.

OL: (10)
Kelvin Beachum
Ramon Foster
Maurkice Pouncey
David DeCastro
Marcus Gilbert
Cody Wallace
*Chris Elkins
Wesley Johnson
Guy Whipper
Mike Adams
Wallace will be the backup for C/G and Johnson/Whipper/Adams for be fighting for the tackle that will get a hat on Sundays. If Johnson or Whipper can be 1st of the bench, Adams may be cut. I haven’t read anything good about Adams first week of camp. The Steelers may be looking on the waiver wire, when cuts are start being made.

Cameron Heyward
Cam Thomas
Stephon Tuitt
Steve McLendon
Brian Armfelt
*Daniel McCuller
Missing from my original prediction: Josh Mauro: With Thomas and McCuller able to play some NT behind McLendon and both play snaps at DE behind Heyward and Tuitt, Josh is heading to the PS: I actually believe Armfelt will backup Haywood and Thomas will backup Tuitt and McCuller on game day.

LB (10)
Jarvis Jones
Ryan Sharier
Lawrence Timmons
Jason Worilds
Sean Spence
Vince Williams
Arthur Moats
Terence Garvin
Chris Carter
VicSo’to
I believe that ALL the non-starter LB will be involved in special teams, and THAT’S going to be fun to watch.

Ike Taylor
Cortez Allen
Troy Polamalu
Mike Mitchell
William Gay
Shamarko Thomas
Shaquille Richardson
Will Allen
Jordan Dangerfield
Antwon Blake
Missing from my original prediction: Robert Golden: in this year camp Dangerfield is getting some respected and my push Golden off this roster.

Special Team (3)
Brad Wing
Shaun Suisham
Greg Warren

See my orginal post on the player breakdown

Just my thoughts.

TE: If Blanchflower goes PS, then Paulson or Palmer stays before Waters (although he has turned some heads with his blocking). I could be wrong about that, but just a hunch because the team likes experience.

OL: No way Adams is cut unless he really implodes during camp.

LB: Zumwalt?

DB: Golden is ranked as one of the best ST guys in the league and has been getting reps with the first team along with Shamarko because of Mitchell being out. He stays.

ST: Just keep in mind that Bryce Davis plays a position and is a long snapper. Not likely to unseat Warren but possible.

K Train
08-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Golden will be on the roster no doubt. Funny how one article, one day, from one proactice sent Dangerfield into stardom lol

TarlsQtr
08-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Golden will be on the roster no doubt. Funny how one article, one day, from one proactice sent Dangerfield into stardom lol

Imagine if he does something tonight, the Friday night practice.

He will be a HOFer by midnight! ;-)

NeilPatrickBanana
08-01-2014, 04:51 PM
I don't recall Tomlin ever keeping 10 OL, is Chris Elkins so good that he can't be passed to the practice squad?

Guy Whipper lol

I still think DHB finds a way on to the roster... Antwon Blake is the #1 gunner... who is running on the other side?

Gotta admit, a lot of these predictions sound like they've been made based directly on the beat reporting (Elkins, Dangerfield, Waters)

I'll wait to see some pre-season games to make my choices

K Train
08-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Weslye Johnson will make the roster, Elkins will not

Guy Whipper is oddly even more fitting than Whimper lol

KemoTherapy
08-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Weslye Johnson will make the roster, Elkins will not

Guy Whipper is oddly even more fitting than Whimper lol
Guy Whipper, sounds like a pro rasslin' name lol.

coldrolled
08-02-2014, 06:12 AM
Zumwalt (ST)

ChucktownSteeler
08-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Guy Whipper, sounds like a pro rasslin' name lol.

Guy Whipper sounds more like a gay porn star's name.

SuperSteelers
08-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Whipper snapper - a young and inexperienced person considered to be presumptuous or overconfident.

greg1964
08-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Now that we have 2 preseason games under are belt: let's pick the 53 player roster: (REVISED) new players or comments are in italics.

Ben Roethlisburgher: one of the most underrated QB in the league; entering his prime years as a QB. Hope he learned that getting rid of the ball will help him play all 16 games of the season. Should be giving the freedom to run a lot of no-huddle this season, with great results.

Bruce Gradkoski: a capable backup that I hope I don’t see again this year. Because that means that Ben played all the games again.

LeVeon Bell: LeVeon will be the “bell cow” for the Steelers this year and for years to come: Can run with power, can catch the ball and has enough speed to take it the distance.

LeGarrette Blount: Give the Steelers someone that could Bell a rest, or carrier the load is something happen to Bell. Expect him to get around 10 touches a game, but has not shown that catching the ball is his strength.

Will Johnson: the only FB on the team, and is a good player. I personnel would like to see him more involved in the offense.

Dri Archer: On the series that Bell has off, on third down Archer could be on the field: At 4.29 there isn’t a player in the NFL that could cover him in space. Could you imagine Moore and Archer in the slots with Brown and Wheaton on the outside? But his primary role with the Black and Gold will be special teams as a kick/punt returner.

WR (5)
Antonio Brown: Pro-Bowl, may never be consider one of the best WR in the NFL, but is one of the most productive player in the NFL.

Markus Wheaton: The fact that the Steelers didn’t address the WR position until the 4th round, shows how much confidence they have in Wheaton. People seams to forget, Wheaton was doing well, last season until he injured the reinjured his hand last year. In fact (JC) only became a factor after Wheaton went down. The Black and Gold are expecting big things from him this season.

Lance Moore: the perfect move the changes receiver. Will be the 3rd receiver on the field and will play mostly from the slot position.

Justin Brown: he has disappeared in the pre-season games, but I put the blame on the QB’s more than the receiver.

Martavis Bryant: Steeler Nation can you please stop whining about a tall receiver. At 6’4” he has jump ball ability. From my understanding he is also a 4.4 guy, and is a “one trick pony” guy. I know he played with Sammy Watkins in college, but see me in two years. For the most part this will be a red-shirt season for MB: he is not a ST player, and my count is the fifth receiver, barring injury, he will be an in-active most games

TE: (2)
Heath Miller: when healthy the best all-around TE in the game: He is not the dominate blocker he once where; but he is still better than most and in a great pass catcher.

Matt Spaeth: Showed his valve in the running game once he was healthy again. And at 6’7” and 275 lbs. it’s almost like and an extra OL.

The 3rd will come down to Michael Palmer and Rob Blanchflower: Either is a great in-line blocker from my understanding. But I have heard some good things about Blanchflower

The third TE will be Will Johnson: The may place Waters or Blanchflower on the PS: the fact that the LB have flashed hurt the TE room.

OL: (9)
Kelvin Beachum: are there thing that Beachum need to work on…yes…but as far as I’m concern, he is you starting left tackle. I know he isn’t the “package” but he is good. It would good to see how good he can be, now that he can focus on one position this year. No more jack of all trades, master of none.

Ramon Foster: Not flashy but very solid. I don’t see pro-bowls in his future, but I also don’t see anyone beating him out of this spot for a few years.

Maurkice Pouncey: Three times All-Pro: as long as no-one drive into his legs again, I don’t see why he can’t be as good as he has been. I just hope that he is not looking for Mack type money on his new contract. I would hate to see him in another uniform next season.

David DeCastro: I loved it when the Steelers drafted him, and I love the choice even more now: Depending on the team win-lost record, he will be All-Pro very soon. We all know, winning teams get more status, and with the sack for the Steelers going down, people will start to see how good he is.

Marcus Gilbert: This is the one position on the line I don’t feel great about. Gilbert has held the position for two years, but I’m underwhelmed. Adams how something here two years ago, But he doesn’t get me excited either. Both need a TE on their side to be productive in pass-pro, and despite their size, either is a dominate run blocker. My hope is that the new OL coach get one/or both them to be more productive. Gilbert has improved this year, if the Steelers can re-sign him to a multi-year deal, I feel we will have our OL in place for a long time. Gilbert re-signning would mean that the battle for starters will be done with.

Mike Adams: See comments about Gilbert: If either of them approve, OT will be a candidate for a 1st round pick next year. If Gilbert resigns Adam will be allowed to walk next season. The only time I want to see Adams this year, is if either starting tackle goes down. And I would debate is I would rather see Whimper first.

Cody Wallace: showed his valve last year when the top two centers when down. He a good backup, you know “break glass in case of an emergency” center. I don’t see him as an option as an guard long term, but could play there is needed. I personally see Pouncey moving to guard and Cody playing center, it something happen in a game.

Guy Whimper: Let me say, I was surprised when he made the team. But he player guard and tackle for the Black and Gold last year and played well. The question for 2014 is can he hold off and Wesley Johnson of someone else for another year. I say yes.

Wesley Johnson: MM wants 9 OL and Johnson make it because of position-flexibility. I know he struggled this year, but does anyone remember how bad Kelvin Beachum looked his first pre-season. I was SHOCKED he was one of the 53, but he is one of my favor players now.

Cameron Heywood: this year he becomes the “Aaron Smith” of the DL: in his fourth year he is the old vet. And their BEST defense lineman, he should NEVER come off the field. The only thing I see stopping him from Pro-bowls is injury.

Steve McLendon: No…he is not Casy Hampton, but he isn’t bad either. I think he and Haywood will help form the new “Men of Steel”

Stephen Tuitt: again I loved this pick, but at the same time was sadden, because this pick means the end of “Da Beard” career in the Black and Gold. Unlike most, DE on the Steeler roster, Tuitt played and 3-4 end in college. And according to the DL coach, Truitt already has the attributes that they look for in a DE. In others words, he should not have to break him down and rebuilt him like he had to do with others. I see him as a starter from the opening of the season. Beside he don’t have a long time starter to beat out.

Cam Thomas: I am surprised what I seen in Thomas: Would I prefer to see Tritt as the starter, YES, but Thomas is doing well.

Daniel McCullers: I was sure that this year would a red-shirt year for McCullers. But he has beaten out Fangupo as the back-up NT. I’m not sure he will play DE for the Steelers, but that ok too.

Josh Mauro: Once the season starts, I don’t think we will see him on the active game-day roster, but I don’t want to lose him by trying to place him on the PS.

Ike Taylor: I like Ike and I think some of the problems he had last year was because of poor FS play. There were a number of times it appear that Taylor was looking for help over the top and did receive it.
There is no one on the roster that I see taking his spot.

Cortez Allen: He needs to stay healthy and get off to s better start to the season. He is good enough to play the slot or the boundary corner. I’m looking for a big season from Allen.

Troy Polamalu: I for one am glad to see Troy back this year, but it may be his last. He will walk into the HOF five years after he walks always. I’m just glad it will be as a Steeler.

Mike Mitchell: He as the speed and the ball skills that should help with more turnovers this year.
William Gay: can the boundary corner but is best suited for the slot. But when a team has big TE/WR in the slot, it may be better for Allen to play the slot with Gay on the outside.

Shamarko Thomas: He will take over for TP next year, but I see him was the nickel safety. Has the speed and will hit you when he gets there.

Antwon Blake: a good special teamer, and was one of the reasons that the Steelers passed on Dennard in the draft.

Brice McCain: up and down career with Houston, but was another reason the Steelers passed on Dennard.

Robert Golden: a good special teamer and will backup Mitchell/Allen

Jordan Dangerfield: seems to be a good SS, but can’t play FS. But came play ST

LB (10)
Jarvis Jones: Showed flashes, but needed to add weight to be able to hold the point of attack. The Steelers will need more than one sack from him to make the season successes.

Jason Worilds: Hope the Steelers signs him to a long term deal this year, before he “blow-up” for whatever reason he prefers playing on the offense strong side.

Lawrence Timmons: IMO one of the most underrated LB in the NFL. Has the speed to drop into coverage and the mass to make the ball carrier feel it on running plays. Should have made the Pro-Bowl last year.

Ryan Shazier: Allow me to say when I first heard the pick I wasn’t a “happy camper” but once I thought about it, and heard that the Steelers play is to play him inside, I began to love the pick. Teaming with Timmons will give the Steelers the fastest ILB on the NFL:

Arthur Moats: Until the pick of Shazier I would have bet that Moats was going to line up next to Timmons. But now, see him as a special team ace, and the first LB off the bench for OLB position.

Sean Spence: Spence and Shazier are the same type of player. Speed and quick “see-to-do” reaction; both have played some OLB in college, but both are projection as ILB in the pros.

Vince Williams: is a two down ILB that has to taken off the field on 3rd down or when a team uses three WR. Has a great camp and there is a roll for a player like Williams. The Steelers could and have done a lot worst.

Terence Garvin: With Spence and Williams holding down the top back-up ILB Garvin can be a swing player and ST ace.

VicSo’oto: Has shown more pass-rushing moves that Carter, and is better against the run.

Howard Jones: is a run/hit LB that the Steelers could use on special teams.

Special Team
Luke Ingram: I was sorry to see Warren go down, but if not ready for week one Ingram may supplant him for years to come.

Shaun Suisham: made all the PAT and missed only FG last year.

Brad Wing: I’m tried on musical punter every year.

Practice Squad:
Nick Williams (DE)
Either Jones or Keys (QB)
Either Waters or Blanchflower (TE)
Jordon Zunwalt (LB)
Shaquille Richardson (DB)
Isaiah Green (DB)
Chris Hubbard (OL)