PDA

View Full Version : No 1 pick... this will be painfully easy to evaluate

Steeltown26
05-09-2014, 12:07 PM
There is no running away from this No. 1 Pick. Shazier selected over CJ Mosley who was pretty much the consensus best ILB in this draft. With Mosley going to the Ravens two picks later, Add to it, Dennard (who many thought would be our pick at a position of great need) ends up in Cincy. May the comparisons and debates begin... playing each of these teams twice a year will make this an easy debate to track and evaluate.

I believe this one is going to be talked about for a very long time... as the alternatives will be front and center. Here's hoping the Steelers made the right choice. They certainly didn't take long to make their selection... They must have felt much better about this selection than I do.

While Shazier must have been highly rated on their board, I will always wonder if they would have selected Kyle Fuller should he not have been taken two picks earlier...

Steeltrap
05-09-2014, 12:31 PM
That's a good question I"d love for Colbert to answer.

K Train
05-09-2014, 12:38 PM
I had shazier as the 13th best player and mosely as the 29th. Might be in the minority there but to me this was a slam dunk better pick.

Plus we have a buckeye quota to fill and shazier>roby

LatrobePA
05-09-2014, 12:42 PM
There is no running away from this No. 1 Pick. Shazier selected over CJ Mosley who was pretty much the consensus best ILB in this draft. With Mosley going to the Ravens two picks later, Add to it, Dennard (who many thought would be our pick at a position of great need) ends up in Cincy. May the comparisons and debates begin... playing each of these teams twice a year will make this an easy debate to track and evaluate.

I believe this one is going to be talked about for a very long time... as the alternatives will be front and center. Here's hoping the Steelers made the right choice. They certainly didn't take long to make their selection... They must have felt much better about this selection than I do.

While Shazier must have been highly rated on their board, I will always wonder if they would have selected Kyle Fuller should he not have been taken two picks earlier...

Quit reading too much into it...

igor0190
05-09-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm thinking they had Fuller and Gilbert ahead of Shazier on their draft board but something pushed Dennard way down. While ILB is not as much of a need as WR and CB, Shazier adds considerable upgrade over Vince Williams.

Not as safe of a pick as Mosley maybe, but considerably more upside imo. I'm just ridiculously tired of the Steelers babying their rookies on defence. You need to find a way to get this guy on the field, even if that means simplifying his role and responsibilities.

FlatsSteeler
05-09-2014, 01:03 PM
How Simple can it be....."Tackle the Guy with the Football and make him Cry"........

coach
05-09-2014, 02:27 PM
I like the speed. This will help the D when teams try the old spread them out all over the place and throw to one of the two wide open receivers. We still need help but i like the pick.

KemoTherapy
05-09-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm thinking they had Fuller and Gilbert ahead of Shazier on their draft board but something pushed Dennard way down. While ILB is not as much of a need as WR and CB, Shazier adds considerable upgrade over Vince Williams.

Not as safe of a pick as Mosley maybe, but considerably more upside imo. I'm just ridiculously tired of the Steelers babying their rookies on defence. You need to find a way to get this guy on the field, even if that means simplifying his role and responsibilities.
Yeah he probably won't see the field for 3 years since Vince Williams is a "veteran" and all that.

Big T
05-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Yeah he probably won't see the field for 3 years since Vince Williams is a "veteran" and all that.

False. I'd almost guarantee Shazier beats out Williams for a starting job. There's no seasoned vet on the roster. Williams was a 6th round pick, forced into action, who was poor in coverage and mediocre against the run.

Steeltrap
05-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Listening to the press conference of Tomlin & Colbert, Shazier will be the starting ILB. That's very reassuring because I too was concerned about how rookies don't normally contribute that much in this defense.

KemoTherapy
05-09-2014, 04:36 PM
I was making fun of their "veteran" bias. Of course Shazier is the better player by far. Still nothing would surprise me.

coldrolled
05-09-2014, 04:37 PM
I had shazier as the 13th best player and mosely as the 29th. Might be in the minority there but to me this was a slam dunk better pick.

Plus we have a buckeye quota to fill and shazier>roby

I wanted a replacement for Farrior so its good either way.

Big T
05-09-2014, 04:41 PM
I was making fun of their "veteran" bias. Of course Shazier is the better player by far. Still nothing would surprise me.

I know haha

TarlsQtr
05-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Does anyone know if the stupid OSU players cannot participate in May minicamps rule is still in place? I know it has to do with when their semester ends.

It really effs up a guy's rookie season because he misses that time to learn the system.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Big T
05-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Does anyone know if the stupid OSU players cannot participate in May minicamps rule is still in place? I know it has to do with when their semester ends.

It really effs up a guy's rookie season because he misses that time to learn the system.

Not sure. Even if it is, would that rule only apply to those who are seniors? Shazier isn't graduating so I don't know why it would be an issue.

coldrolled
05-09-2014, 05:34 PM
He will graduate from Linebacker U

NeilPatrickBanana
05-09-2014, 05:56 PM

Shouldn't be an issue (thank you late draft)