PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger: I think I can play 5-7 more years

Big T
05-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Both quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers have made it clear this offseason that they want to continue their working relationship until Roethlisberger retires, a topic that usually comes up in relation to the possibility of a contract extension.

Roethlisberger’s deal runs through 2015 and features hefty cap numbers that some thought the Steelers would attempt to bring down before next season gets underway. Discussions go on, although no deal appears to be imminent with a player who said “I bleed black and gold” during a Tuesday interview with 93.7 The Fan. He also talked about how long he’d like to continue bleeding.

“I feel like I’m in great shape,” Roethlisberger said, via ESPN.com. “I think I can get five, six, seven more years out of this arm and these legs.”

The 32-year-old played every snap for the Steelers on offense last season, holding up well while being sacked 42 times. The frequency of those sacks dropped as the Steelers began to employ more no-huddle that allowed him to get rid of the ball more quickly. Roethlisberger said the Steelers worked on the no-huddle on Tuesday, the first day coaches were allowed to work with players at their offseason workouts, and suggested it could be “a regular thing” in the coming season.

If that keeps Roethlisberger in “great shape,” his next contract should allow him to make good on his desired career length.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/07/ben-roethlisberger-i-think-i-can-play-5-7-more-years/

SteelCityKid5
05-07-2014, 09:54 AM
I thought we were trading Ben?
:lol:

Big T
05-07-2014, 12:21 PM
I thought we were trading Ben?
:lol:

Yep. And I personally guarantee that Ben won't be a Steeler in 2013... uh I mean 2014. 2015?

I kinda miss Crash. I'll take Crash over LASVEGASGUY lol

steelchamp204
05-07-2014, 12:39 PM
It's easy for him to say this now. I still say he is done at 37.

TarlsQtr
05-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Pray for that OL to gel. If he stays clean like Peyton/Brady, he can play longer. If he has to play like he has since drafted, you are probably correct.

Big T
05-07-2014, 01:01 PM

That would be 5 years lol

steelchamp204
05-07-2014, 01:59 PM
That would be 5 years lol

Which is why I never went the 6th and 7th as indicated in your original post. No way he plays another 7 or even 6.

LatrobePA
05-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Bens playing style will have him done in 3... No doubt in my mind!

KemoTherapy
05-07-2014, 04:18 PM
I'd say he's got 3 years left in him.So,they should really be looking for his eventual successor ASAP. And let's hope it's not Landry Jones.

86WARD
05-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Easily 5 if the O-Line improves.

LatrobePA
05-08-2014, 10:14 AM
I've always loved how when Ben holds the ball and runs around extending a play and ends up getting sacked 6 seconds later people always blame the o line! lol

People it's not all on the o line with Ben, it's his style!

TarlsQtr
05-08-2014, 10:22 AM
I've always loved how when Ben holds the ball and runs around extending a play and ends up getting sacked 6 seconds later people always blame the o line! lol

People it's not all on the o line with Ben, it's his style!

That is certainly part of it. However, a lot of those "scramble around for 6 seconds and then get sacked" plays occur when he is under siege right from the snap. Until the second half of last season, the OL play has been horrid for years. Even last year, the no huddle kept the sack numbers lower than they could have been.

Rocky#20
05-08-2014, 11:35 AM
It was interesting to see on the NFL Network's Path to Draft rehash of the 2004 draft that the Giants were just seconds away from drafting Ben. At the last moment they drafted Rivers hoping that they could trade him to the Chargers and get Eli, which of course is what happened. The Steelers if all 3 QB's were off the board were then going to draft RB Steven Jackson, a pretty darn good player, but would he have taken us to 3 Super Bowls?

steelchamp204
05-08-2014, 12:18 PM
That is certainly part of it. However, a lot of those "scramble around for 6 seconds and then get sacked" plays occur when he is under siege right from the snap. Until the second half of last season, the OL play has been horrid for years. Even last year, the no huddle kept the sack numbers lower than they could have been.

That motorcycle crash didn't help things either.