PDA

View Full Version : Blurbs for the Colbert/Tomlin pr-draft presser

Real Deal Steel
05-05-2014, 05:00 PM
These were the most pertinent parts of the presser:

***Colbert said there are 19 players the Steelers would love to draft with the 15th pick and that the quarterbacks will be the linchpin to this process.

***Colbert believes that if you polled all 32 teams, you'd get 32 different answers on how they feel about this QB class stacks up. Because of that, and the depth of this draft, he doesn't feel there will be a lot of trades in this draft, thou the quarterbacks could certainly affect that.

***Colbert said there is zero chance of the Steelers trading up but they'd be very open to trading down. The Steelers won't move up because of the third round pick they traded to move up for Shamarko Thomas. They have compensatory pick in the third round but that cannot be dealt.

***Tomlin said that given that the Steelers have lost more defensive linemen this off season than they have signed, you can bet defensive line is on the team's radar. He also he wouldn't close the door on signing more free agents but the team is solely focused on the draft right now.

***Tomlin said that because of the amount of sub packages the team uses now, pass rushing ability is a premium for defensive lineman, be they interior or edge players.

***Tomlin also said that linebacker Sean Spence and defensive end Nick Williams are completely healthy and moving forward.

Real Deal Steel
05-05-2014, 05:03 PM
So I really like them moving back if Dennard isn't there. I don't want to touch Benjamin or Ebron.
The Eagles want to move up to get Beckham. Maybe that is the team to work with and move down and take Nix if possible. We can address the WR position in round 2. Take Attaochu possibly with the 2nd round pick we get from the Eagles and then use the two 3rd round picks on CB/DE.

steelchamp204
05-05-2014, 05:53 PM
If Spence is completely healthy. Take ILB off the board in the first.

It comes down to DL/CB/WR in no particular order.

My 2cents. It's CB/DL, even though there could be some gems of defensive linemen in the later rounds

Big T
05-05-2014, 06:10 PM
If Spence is completely healthy. Take ILB off the board in the first.

It comes down to DL/CB/WR in no particular order.

My 2cents. It's CB/DL, even though there could be some gems of defensive linemen in the later rounds

There's no DL worth a top 15 pick not named Clowney/Donald. If they trade back, fine. But I don't want a DL at 15. CB there are plenty of options (Dennard, Gilbert, Fuller...). Plenty of WR options at 15 as well.

coldrolled
05-05-2014, 06:20 PM
This is one of those drafts where we will all probably go WHAT? WHO? WHY? When we pick #15... Like a Zach Martin...

Real Deal Steel
05-05-2014, 07:24 PM
This is one of those drafts where we will all probably go WHAT? WHO? WHY? When we pick #15... Like a Zach Martin...

Don't scare me. LOL

Big T
05-05-2014, 07:41 PM

Yuck. Let's take a tackle who'll probably be best at guard or even center. Our interior line is set. There are question marks at tackle but Zach Martin isn't the answer.

QFFL
05-05-2014, 10:05 PM

NFL's Mike Mayock actually ranked Martin 9th overall in his top 100 prospects.

coldrolled
05-05-2014, 11:36 PM

Im not saying hes bad or good, just a name not being thrown around much in the top 15... Kinda like Fuller or Roby..
We could go OL who knows... this draft is deep and the other wild card will be the QB's The Jags, Browns, Bucs and Vikings who knows what those teams do.. or ever do... remember alualu..?

Real Deal Steel
05-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Im not saying hes bad or good, just a name not being thrown around much in the top 15... Kinda like Fuller or Roby..
We could go OL who knows... this draft is deep and the other wild card will be the QB's The Jags, Browns, Bucs and Vikings who knows what those teams do.. or ever do... remember alualu..?

Well, we have all the wildcard (bad drafting) teams ahead of us so there is definitely hope that someone really good unexpectedly drops in our laps. But it seems that teams may be wising up. I hope not.

coldrolled
05-06-2014, 07:24 AM

These same Mayock type guys probably graded our 2008 draft an "A" and our "2009" draft an "A" and our 2011-12 draft a "C" etc... Noone really knows... These picks are college kids that need coaching... Hopefully we have the right coaches in place now.

steelchamp204
05-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Taylor Lewan, I wouldn't be surprised.

TarlsQtr
05-06-2014, 09:51 AM
So I really like them moving back if Dennard isn't there. I don't want to touch Benjamin or Ebron.
The Eagles want to move up to get Beckham. Maybe that is the team to work with and move down and take Nix if possible. We can address the WR position in round 2. Take Attaochu possibly with the 2nd round pick we get from the Eagles and then use the two 3rd round picks on CB/DE.

Are you saying that we will get a 2 and a 3 for swapping 1s with the Beagles, or am I missing something? No way we get that. Probably not even a 2. Maybe a 3 and 4.

LatrobePA
05-06-2014, 10:02 AM
I don't even start reading or worrying about the draft until the day of. 90% of the time there's always a twist and players going before or after they're suppose to.