PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay Pouncey?

NeilPatrickBanana
04-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Pouncey is in the last year of his contract. Here's what the market is paying "top" centers in recently signed contracts

2011 Mangold 7 yrs / 54 million / 16 Guaranteed / 7.7 per
2012 Kalil 6 yrs / 49 million / 19 Guaranteed / 8.166 per
2013 Mack 5 yrs / 42 million / 18+ Guaranteed / 8.4 per

Now there is a 2nd tier of Center contracts (where the massively underrated John Sullivan resides as a bargain)

2011 Sullivan 6 yrs / 25.6 million / 10 guaranteed / 4.26 per
2012 Wood 4 yrs / 25.4 million / 14.55 Guaranteed / 6.35 per
2013 Unger 4 yrs / 25.8 million / 11 Guaranteed / 6.5 per

So, Is Pouncey going to settle for the 4 yr / 6.0 per range?
Or, Is he going to push for the 5-7 yr / 8.0 per range?

Big difference...

or do we just franchise him for a year?

JensK
04-10-2014, 05:41 PM
He might push, but he does not really have much leverage. Sure, he is a top notch player, but very injury prone! Steelers already set an example in Woodley; they wont overpay (or in his case keep one), if he wont see the field. I could see, and be happy with, 5 per year, which would be fair imo. Maybe a bit more, but not too much.

Big T
04-10-2014, 05:45 PM
I'm staying out of this lol. You had to start another Pouncey thread. I'll just get annoyed with all the "cut him/let him walk/Velasco is better/he's regressed since his rookie year" comments and spew the same sh*t I've spewed over the last 7 months lol.

JensK
04-10-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm staying out of this lol. You had to start another Pouncey thread. I'll just get annoyed with all the "cut him/let him walk/Velasco is better/he's regressed since his rookie year" comments and spew the same sh*t I've spewed over the last 7 months lol.

Pay no attention to those saying he regressed. He has not. Not even close to it. Staying on the field, however... Thats the real issue!

K Train
04-10-2014, 09:01 PM
I'd probably franchise him. IMO decastro is the long term investment to make when that time comes if they have to choose but who knows how the year is going to shake out with munchak. After Ben pouncey is third in line for an extension following Heyward and decastro.

Mack is very overrated. He, like pouncey looked like a stone wall cog at center as a rookie but since hasn't really shown that he's an above average player at the position. However, if pouncey is looking for Mack money it'll make me sad to say bye.

NeilPatrickBanana
04-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Mack is not overrated

K Train
04-10-2014, 10:05 PM
I overstated with "very" but yes he is overrated. In the same way pouncey was once overrated "before everyone just decided to say he sucks"

polamalu43
04-10-2014, 11:29 PM
No way we pay Pouncey the money Mack is getting regardless of who is considered better. It is just one mans opinion but let him go. I agree with the idea to pay Decastro and a few others first.

Stone
04-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Pay no attention to those saying he regressed. He has not. Not even close to it. Staying on the field, however... Thats the real issue!

That and the fact that he is a proven mental midget, will he be able to keep his idiotic opinions to himself or will he explode?

steelchamp204
04-11-2014, 09:59 AM
I think 7 mill per year is the max.

K Train
04-11-2014, 10:01 AM
That and the fact that he is a proven mental midget, will he be able to keep his idiotic opinions to himself or will he explode?

Why do people get so bent out of shape about opinions

Big T
04-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Why do people get so bent out of shape about opinions

I mean, he supported a long time friend, taking the "innocent until proven guilty" route (which is an ever-so unpopular stance in today's society), by wearing a hat. He's clearly a POS.

K Train
04-11-2014, 10:49 AM
"mental midget" lol

I feel that way about most people. I guess I have low standards for athletes that are (maybe) partially educated and have been pampered their whole lives and can take what they say with a grain of salt

KemoTherapy
04-11-2014, 04:03 PM
How can you put a value on a part time player??. The guy who filled in at the end of the year didn't exactly disgrace himself. I could see them letting Pouncey walk because they're always up against the cap.

coldrolled
04-12-2014, 06:35 AM
How can you put a value on a part time player??. The guy who filled in at the end of the year didn't exactly disgrace himself. I could see them letting Pouncey walk because they're always up against the cap.

give him a reasonable contract and trade him.

Jitter77
04-12-2014, 01:03 PM
I would give him nothing and let him walk. I think he is over-rated and his off-field stuff really turns me away. I am sure the Rooneys are not happy with it either. Supporting a friend is one thing, but the more you hear about the Pouncey brothers the worse they look. First there was the Hernandez thing and as more info comes out they all seemed to act like thugs at college. Also Mike seemed to be mentioned in the report alot with the whole Martin incident. They just both seem to be wanna be thugs to me. I would keep Velasco and lock him up and move pouncey to guard. If he wants to stay then he will take a big pay cut or he will be let go.

Big T
04-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Pouncey missed a grand total of 3 games in his first 3 seasons...

acero
04-13-2014, 06:00 PM
i would secure a long term contract with velasco just in case...

coldrolled
04-13-2014, 06:04 PM
i would secure a long term contract with velasco just in case...

he may be ready in november

LASVEGASGUY
04-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Sign Velasco and let Pouncey walk. Isn't worth the money and that Pro Bowl selection is about as phony as Tomlin.

coldrolled
04-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Sign Velasco and let Pouncey walk. Isn't worth the money and that Pro Bowl selection is about as phony as Tomlin.

Trade Pouncey to the Jags.. they just signed up Mack at $42mill, Browns matched.. Get this years 3rd round and next years 3rd round.

Nolrog
04-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Trade Pouncey to the Jags.. they just signed up Mack at $42mill, Browns matched.. Get this years 3rd round and next years 3rd round.

Velasco won't be ready until late in the season though, so we would start the year without a center.

steelchamp204
04-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Lets see how Pouncey does this year, there is a good possibility Cody Wallace or Velasco could be our starting center in 2015.

Pouncey will end up in Miami next season, to play in Florida and reunite with his brother, they like to swap saliva anyways.:lol:

K Train
04-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Pouncey is also only 24....he hasnt even matured physically for an offensive lineman. Wallace will be 32 in 2015, velasco 31

steelchamp204
04-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Pouncey is also only 24....he hasnt even matured physically for an offensive lineman. Wallace will be 32 in 2015, velasco 31

Velasco was born in 85
Wallace in 84

I'd say let Pouncey walk if he wants to much, it's obvious this team can play well without Pouncey as they showed this season.

I wouldn't say there was much of a drop off to be honest. I would only go about 6.5 million.

K Train
04-15-2014, 12:45 PM
How would you know if there was a drop off? He was hurt immediately and they scrapped the scheme they were working on implementing which set them back even more especially already having bell and miller out.

Not a person on that staff thinks they were better off minus pouncey. They wont be able to pay him what mack got, hes not the most importnat player to extend (Ben, Heyward, possibly cortez) but the notion around every thread that he sucks is insane

steelchamp204
04-15-2014, 12:57 PM
How would you know if there was a drop off? He was hurt immediately and they scrapped the scheme they were working on implementing which set them back even more especially already having bell and miller out.

Not a person on that staff thinks they were better off minus pouncey. They wont be able to pay him what mack got, hes not the most importnat player to extend (Ben, Heyward, possibly cortez) but the notion around every thread that he sucks is insane

Nobody said he sucks. I just said the line played very well compared to prior seasons is all. I said NUMEROUS times last season, judge the line at week 8. Especially with the new system and LT we had playing. From week 8 on, this line was dominant, it had attitude and it had major confidence. Part due to Heath being healthy and Beachum getting better and better overall at LT. The interior line did a fantastic job this season with Foster/Velacsco/DeCastro and Wallace when Velasco went down.

Noone says Pouncey sucks, but he isn't Gods gift to the Steelers at the C position either, we all know he is going to command big money for his next contract, it isn't worth it at that position.

I wouldn't pay him anything over 7 mill per season.

coldrolled
04-15-2014, 01:20 PM

Will we pay Pouncey the Mack sized deal.. He will walk and we will have what we usually have.. zero

greg1964
04-16-2014, 07:43 AM
I LOVE Pouncey....but if he think he is going to get Mack type money in Pittsburgh, he is kidding himself. LOSING TEAMS pay 8 million a year for centers when they don't have a desent QB: If Pouncey is willing to take 4 to 5 million average per year, sign him up now. The Steelers typical have one High price player per group.

QB = Ben
WR= Brown
OL = DeCastro (will be) (Velasco & Wallace showed that you can find to fill that center spot, either are as good as Pouncey, but you get the point)
DL =Haywood
LB = Worilds
DB = Troy (will be his last year) could be Allen next year.