PDA

View Full Version : Darrius Heyward-Bey to visit Steelers Wednesday

Big T
04-01-2014, 06:02 PM
@EdBouchette: Veteran WR Darrius Heyward-Bey to visit #Steelers Wed. 7th overall pick in 2009. UFA. Team has just under $400K in cap room

Dean Denton
04-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Do we even have money left for him?

K Train
04-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Not really, would love the signing though. I kinda hoped we wouldnt have to be restructuring everyone again but it looks like itll happen

Hes not that good, but he could easily fill the Nate Washington/Mike Wallace early years role. ben loves a guy not only to throw deep to but a guy to take off the top of the defense regardless.

NeilPatrickBanana
04-01-2014, 06:30 PM
remember, 51 contracts contribute to the cap, everytime we sign someone, the lowest contract drops out of the calculation.... so if we have just under 400k in cap room, we really have just under 820k in room

NeilPatrickBanana
04-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Man, if Heyward-Bey could just work on his "concentration issues", he'd be able to catch the ball more... [sarcasm]

ChucktownSteeler
04-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Bey hasn't been the same since he was "Mundied".

Nolrog
04-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Do we even have money left for him?

No, but there's room to make more. Once Worilds is given a long term deal, his cap hit will drop, and they could extend Ben or restructure (maybe extend) Timmons if necessary to make room.

Nolrog
04-01-2014, 08:33 PM
remember, 51 contracts contribute to the cap, everytime we sign someone, the lowest contract drops out of the calculation.... so if we have just under 400k in cap room, we really have just under 820k in room

Once the season starts, then they need to have room for the full roster (53) and the practice squad (about 1.5 million total, assuming league rookie minimum for the last 2 guys on the roster and league min for the practice squad guys.)

NeilPatrickBanana
04-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Once the season starts, then they need to have room for the full roster (53) and the practice squad (about 1.5 million total, assuming league rookie minimum for the last 2 guys on the roster and league min for the practice squad guys.)

We are talking about cap space in the offseason.

TarlsQtr
04-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Man, if Heyward-Bey could just work on his "concentration issues", he'd be able to catch the ball more... [childishness]

I fixed it for you.

NeilPatrickBanana
04-02-2014, 12:44 AM
I fixed it for you.

oh, it's childish to poke fun at dumb arguments now?

steelchamp204
04-02-2014, 01:13 AM
Not really, would love the signing though. I kinda hoped we wouldnt have to be restructuring everyone again but it looks like itll happen

Hes not that good, but he could easily fill the Nate Washington/Mike Wallace early years role. ben loves a guy not only to throw deep to but a guy to take off the top of the defense regardless.

Yes, let's get a guy who drops the ball far to often. Didn't everyone complain about Sanders??? Come on dude.

TarlsQtr
04-02-2014, 08:22 AM
oh, it's childish to poke fun at dumb arguments now?

Not sure why you want to illustrate your dumb argument but, yes, it is "childish" to spread an argument to other threads.

In the other thread, you would have derided your comment (well, at least if I made it) as "non football".

You are consistently inconsistent.

Perhaps a better use of your time would be telling us how Mayock's Ebron comment could be over the top AND that Ebron will probably prove you wrong (and Mayock correct).

NorCalSteel
04-02-2014, 08:57 AM
btw block function is the best part about this forum ;) just sayin...

K Train
04-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Yes, let's get a guy who drops the ball far to often. Didn't everyone complain about Sanders??? Come on dude.

Yeah, so did Nate Washington and Mike Wallace. It adds something to the offense though that is currently lacking

Real Deal Steel
04-02-2014, 09:40 AM
I hope we don't get him. He's a bum and he can't really play. Far too many dropped balls. A waste of money.

K Train
04-02-2014, 09:51 AM
He looked like he was on his way to a good season before ryan clark nearly murdered him a few years ago. He was bad with the colts though

NeilPatrickBanana
04-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Not sure why you want to illustrate your dumb argument but, yes, it is "childish" to spread an argument to other threads.

In the other thread, you would have derided your comment (well, at least if I made it) as "non football".

You are consistently inconsistent.

Perhaps a better use of your time would be telling us how Mayock's Ebron comment could be over the top AND that Ebron will probably prove you wrong (and Mayock correct).

It's understandable that you are sore

TarlsQtr
04-02-2014, 10:39 AM
It's understandable that you are sore

More tired. I teach for a living at two major universities (one online). I come here to get away from teaching (fun) but you keep pulling me back in.

Thanks for another "football comment" though.

TarlsQtr
04-02-2014, 10:42 AM
I hope we don't get him. He's a bum and he can't really play. Far too many dropped balls. A waste of money.

It depends on how they will use him. If he will be signed at or near a vet minimum, why not? He is definitely an upgrade over Moye. If they want to sign him to be a 2/3 WR, hell no.

WindyCityShaker
04-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Put me down in the "no thank you" column. I have a horrible souring against players who drop the ball, look at all my comments on Ike, and even Brown, who while he doesn't necessarily have a drop "problem" has dropped a couple of key balls. I just don't see him being able to get on the field enough to make a difference with the only thing he can do anyway (run fast and then drop ball).

TarlsQtr
04-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Put me down in the "no thank you" column. I have a horrible souring against players who drop the ball, look at all my comments on Ike, and even Brown, who while he doesn't necessarily have a drop "problem" has dropped a couple of key balls. I just don't see him being able to get on the field enough to make a difference with the only thing he can do anyway (run fast and then drop ball).

But ask yourself, "Who has the better chance to help us, Bey or Moye?" If you think Moye, then we should not sign Bey. Personally, I feel Bey has a better chance.

LatrobePA
04-02-2014, 11:50 AM
A drafted rookie from the first two rounds has a better chance then both of them. Don't forget about the draft!!

steelchamp204
04-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Yeah, so did Nate Washington and Mike Wallace. It adds something to the offense though that is currently lacking

Yea, dropped passes :hilarious:

WindyCityShaker
04-02-2014, 12:08 PM
But ask yourself, "Who has the better chance to help us, Bey or Moye?" If you think Moye, then we should not sign Bey. Personally, I feel Bey has a better chance.

Moye isn't a world-beater, but to a degree he is an unknown, we all know who H-B is. With all the talk of big receivers this offseason, I prefer to give Moye one last look.

Real Deal Steel
04-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Have to agree. We know what DHB is. We have yet to determine what Moye is. And if Moye dissapoints, then he'd still be the equal to DHB. LOL

TarlsQtr
04-02-2014, 12:54 PM
A drafted rookie from the first two rounds has a better chance then both of them. Don't forget about the draft!!

Agreed, but it comes down to AB, Moore, Wheaton, draftee, Bey/Moye. They are competing for fifth, assuming we draft a guy high. If not, I agree, he is not wanted.

I disagree about Moye. He IS a known commodity. He has been on three teams over two years and our team since December of 2012. We might not get to see him but the coaches sure do in practice, camp, etc.

PSYCHO STEELER
04-02-2014, 01:25 PM
God no! Please no!

WindyCityShaker
04-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Agreed, but it comes down to AB, Moore, Wheaton, draftee, Bey/Moye. They are competing for fifth, assuming we draft a guy high. If not, I agree, he is not wanted.

I disagree about Moye. He IS a known commodity. He has been on three teams over two years and our team since December of 2012. We might not get to see him but the coaches sure do in practice, camp, etc.

Yes but I can understand that he was/is never going to be good enough to pass Sanders or Cotchery on a depth chart. I disagree on the thinking behind what core group of receivers makes HB viable..... I'm trying to think of how to word this, .........if we drafted no receivers at all this year, or only very late in the draft, and we didn't sign any more free agents I'll take Bey for cheap, experience/depth. If I draft a WR highly that I expect to have a significant part in the offense, I'll roll the dice on seeing if a guy like Moye could develop into a red-zone threat only.

soulkitchen
04-02-2014, 01:32 PM
I'd rather sign Darius Rucker. Better hands and guaranteed better home game half time entertainment.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTM9met4IUhcv0g4SvYmMV9Rvuu23I_F iObFn91ok4CI5cizyB4

Big T
04-02-2014, 02:22 PM
@steelers: We have signed wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey to a one-year contract.

m.twitter.com/steelers

steelchamp204
04-02-2014, 02:26 PM
@steelers: We have signed wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey to a one-year contract.

m.twitter.com/steelers

He's our new Kick returner.

K Train
04-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Its a great signing with close to zero risk.

DHB saw that Roethlisberger was able to get a wideout with a similar skill set from his same draft class a $60 million payday. Understandably, DHB would be willing to sign here on a vet minimum deal to play with Ben.

He's not signing to be a starter. He'll likely be behind Brown, Wheaton, Moore, and a rookie WR picked on the first or second day of the draft. He will have to battle Moye and Justin brown....yeah, i like his chances

JackLambert
04-02-2014, 02:30 PM

m.twitter.com/steelers

I like this. I don't love the player or anything but here's the thing... After Blount signed most of us agreed CB, WR, and DL were the weakest spots. They have since added players at two of those positions. The FAs added aren't all that good but most teams will try to have a "complete" roster before the draft. The Steelers have basically accomplished this, which allows them to really target BPA, to maybe trade more freely, etc. They might still take WR in the 1st but it's less of an issue now than it would have been. The same is true throughout the roster. You could make a decent 53 right now and that's without adding 6-10 rookies and possibly any vet cuts. I still want CB or DL in the 1st but if the BPA is WR, TE, or such I'd be fine going that route...

JackLambert
04-02-2014, 02:36 PM
I like this. I don't love the player or anything but here's the thing... After Blount signed most of us agreed CB, WR, and DL were the weakest spots. They have since added players at two of those positions. The FAs added aren't all that good but most teams will try to have a "complete" roster before the draft. The Steelers have basically accomplished this, which allows them to really target BPA, to maybe trade more freely, etc. They might still take WR in the 1st but it's less of an issue now than it would have been. The same is true throughout the roster. You could make a decent 53 right now and that's without adding 6-10 rookies and possibly any vet cuts. I still want CB or DL in the 1st but if the BPA is WR, TE, or such I'd be fine going that route...

And Dennard/Tuitt met with Steelers today... :)

NeilPatrickBanana
04-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Its a great signing with close to zero risk.

DHB saw that Roethlisberger was able to get a wideout with a similar skill set from his same draft class a $60 million payday. Understandably, DHB would be willing to sign here on a vet minimum deal to play with Ben.

He's not signing to be a starter. He'll likely be behind Brown, Wheaton, Moore, and a rookie WR picked on the first or second day of the draft. He will have to battle Moye and Justin brown....yeah, i like his chances

he's immediately competing with Wheaton for a starting job filling Sanders shoes.... until we draft someone better...

Mike Wallace speed with Limas Sweed's hands... should be fun, and painful, to watch

steelchamp204
04-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Defense first round here we come

Spike
04-02-2014, 03:15 PM
camp meat

If Evans is still there at #15, we take him.

It's a passing league and we need 30+ points to play ball with the good teams.

LastRide
04-02-2014, 03:16 PM
4th down with the playoffs on the line. We get to look forward to this..LOL. :lol: Steelers need to go find a solid CB or they are going to get ripped apart. Pretty smart letting Lewis walk who led the league in passes defensed that year.

TarlsQtr
04-02-2014, 03:24 PM
4th down with the playoffs on the line. We get to look forward to this..LOL. :lol: Steelers need to go find a solid CB or they are going to get ripped apart. Pretty smart letting Lewis walk who led the league in passes defensed that year.

I know it was tongue in cheek, but if we are throwing to Bey instead of AB/Moore/Wheaton/Miller/draftee on 4th down with the playoffs on the line, we were already in big trouble.

Spike
04-02-2014, 04:16 PM
#81, at least he can block - I foresee a billion bubble screens

http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/e04rwv.gif

Real Deal Steel
04-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Bad signing. All the way around. We know he can run fast but can't catch the ball. We can get someone on the practice squad to do that. Atleast on the practice squad, there's hope for upside.

Spike
04-02-2014, 04:33 PM
I can't wait to meet all our new players on Hard Knocks

Big T
04-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Bad signing. All the way around. We know he can run fast but can't catch the ball. We can get someone on the practice squad to do that. Atleast on the practice squad, there's hope for upside.

Ridiculous. 1-year, vet min deal for a veteran WR on a team lacking depth is no way a bad move regardless. The fact that he has elite speed and can make defenses think a little is worth it. He may never even see the field. If they draft someone in the 1st he probably ends up being 5th behind Brown, Wheaton, Moore, rookie...

Real Deal Steel
04-02-2014, 04:39 PM
I'm hoping he's cut in camp. He's worthless.

NeilPatrickBanana
04-02-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm hoping he's cut in camp. He's worthless.

I'm hoping to watch him in camp/pre season... He'll be fighting for his career so we should expect his best effort.

As a vet min contract, he has 1 elite trait, and that's enough for me to give him a chance

Big T
04-02-2014, 04:45 PM
I can't wait to meet all our new players on Hard Knocks

I'd actually love for them to be on Hard Knocks. I know they don't want to do it, but I think it'd be awesome.

NeilPatrickBanana
04-02-2014, 04:50 PM
I'd actually love for them to be on Hard Knocks. I know they don't want to do it, but I think it'd be awesome.

Id love it.

K Train
04-02-2014, 04:58 PM
oh they would hate it but it would be AWESOME for us lol

Mike Tomlin
04-02-2014, 05:06 PM
I really wanted to keep other teams from seeing what made are team a family and how thing were structured just to keep teams from trying to copy it, then I thought about it what goes on in there is something you can't manufacture because it's the people in those buildings that make the franchise what it is. So with that said I hope they make the Steelers do it which will make the first time i've watched a full episode lol!

Spike
04-02-2014, 05:09 PM

yeah, me too - an inside perspective on the players and Steelers training camp - who wouldn't want to see that?

the NHL has been doing a show something like it this season - great series "NHL Revealed"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K81-iEed_B4

Spike
04-02-2014, 06:01 PM
1-year, vet min deal for a veteran WR on a team lacking depth is no way a bad move ...

I agree...I don't see what all the crying is about, an 8-8 team taking some chances trying to get better

http://i.imgur.com/Pjheqlj.gif

http://i.imgur.com/DVzOFuw.gif

Blazedby92
04-02-2014, 07:35 PM
SWEED 2.0
Preseason body

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Dean Denton
04-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Give away picks, trade up and go after Mack. Screw everyone else in this draft. Take the best def player in this draft. We need a LB anyways.

Big T
04-02-2014, 08:01 PM
SWEED 2.0

Sweed: 6'4, 216, 4.50 40
20 GP
0 GS
7 catches
69 yards
0 TDs

Heyward-Bey: 6'2, 219, 4.30 40
72 GP
63 GS
169 catches
2380 yards
12 TDs

Practically the same person...

Blazedby92
04-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Basically.....
Good pick up for a team with few options at WR, Great upside in we have to teach him to catch and we are golden.
Preseason tryout
He's in between Washington and Sweed as far as I see him as a WR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

86WARD
04-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Can't teach hands. Faster than Wallace. Worse hands.

LatrobePA
04-02-2014, 11:50 PM
Sweed wasn't an NFL player, please take his name off any comparison list.

mcfly06
04-03-2014, 02:36 AM
I agree...I don't see what all the crying is about, an 8-8 team taking some chances trying to get better

http://i.imgur.com/Pjheqlj.gif

http://i.imgur.com/DVzOFuw.gif

you could only find two videos really from last season of his catches, did you happen to see the 5 or 6 they showed of dropped balls. A lot of them he was wide open and right off the hands, can't blame the qb bc he had Andrew Luck throwing at him. I say if we draft a WR early he won't make it past preseason, just to give extra bodies in there during camp and preseason. He might make the team but I'm not putting money on it and putting money on him coming up big for us. I hope I'm wrong and he does awesome. But it could Limas Sweed again going down the sideline in the playoffs and drops the pass.

Nolrog
04-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Give away picks, trade up and go after Mack. Screw everyone else in this draft. Take the best def player in this draft. We need a LB anyways.

We have far greater needs defensively than LB though. Right now, we have no DE to speak of and Ike will likely be gone after this coming season, with no future corner either. Plus, the defense lacks depth every where (and in a deep draft like this, we could really improve the team depth). Going after Mack is a bold move, but I think it hurts us overall.

K Train
04-03-2014, 09:39 AM
You would see so many problems fixed having pass rushers like mack, jones, worilds rotating.

Dline, secondary, run defense, pass defense would all improve. It would be a nightmare

Spike
04-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Can't teach hands. .

You mean can't coach size and speed

Spike
04-03-2014, 11:48 AM
I say if we draft a WR early he won't make it past preseason, just to give extra bodies in there during camp and preseason. He might make the team but I'm not putting money on it and putting money on him coming up big for us.

Nobody in their right mind thinks our next superstar #1 WR, we'll have to get that in the draft.

So it's worth a shot, you can't coach 4.2 speed. He can run like the wind.

If he can take over the gunner position on ST it would be an improvement there, for sure.

http://i.imgur.com/klfwl5r.gif

3 Hypocycloids
04-03-2014, 04:53 PM
I wonder if could get Sweed back...No, I'm not serious.

Like Spike says, the guy is fast. He can't catch, so we'll see if he sticks. Pretty much no downside to this signing IMO.

Big T
04-03-2014, 05:07 PM
I wonder if could get Sweed back...No, I'm not serious.

Like Spike says, the guy is fast. He can't catch, so we'll see if he sticks. Pretty much no downside to this signing IMO.

Exactly. Vet min signing for a guy that has an elite quality. Better signing than Arnaz Battle or Randle El.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Bey isn't even a lock to make the team. If he does and surprises then its a win for the Steelers.....No risk at all with this signing....Just like the signings of Moats, Thomas, Moore.......These players didn't sign for huge money and if they make the team and help the team win games then really there is no reason to complain......

I really don't have high hope for Bey but sometimes it does take time for a player to put it all together so you never know.......

Big T
04-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Bey isn't even a lock to make the team. If he does and surprises then its a win for the Steelers.....No risk at all with this signing....Just like the signings of Moats, Thomas, Moore.......These players didn't sign for huge money and if they make the team and help the team win games then really there is no reason to complain......

I really don't have high hope for Bey but sometimes it does take time for a player to put it all together so you never know.......

Agreed

K Train
04-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Nobody in their right mind thinks our next superstar #1 WR, we'll have to get that in the draft.

So it's worth a shot, you can't coach 4.2 speed. He can run like the wind.

If he can take over the gunner position on ST it would be an improvement there, for sure.

http://i.imgur.com/klfwl5r.gif
He seriously just smokes everyone

NeilPatrickBanana
04-03-2014, 06:38 PM

I actually like the idea of him replacing the roster taken by someone like Antwon Blake, who is a special teams guy... If Heyward-Bey has turned himself into a quality coverage special teams player (i had no idea), can give you something in the return game, and can bring some emergency depth and make some situational offense to your WR core... for the vet minimum... then he's on the team

It would be great to have a very good special teamer, who can actually contribute elsewhere on the roster...

LatrobePA
04-03-2014, 07:21 PM
How many elite QB's did he have throwing him the ball??!

Spike
04-03-2014, 08:09 PM

thas wut I'm sayin'

I just want to know when the schedule comes out....I'm going to the Atlanta and Jags away games
I need time to plan the parties

Mike Tomlin
04-03-2014, 10:22 PM
I actually like the idea of him replacing the roster taken by someone like Antwon Blake, who is a special teams guy... If Heyward-Bey has turned himself into a quality coverage special teams player (i had no idea), can give you something in the return game, and can bring some emergency depth and make some situational offense to your WR core... for the vet minimum... then he's on the team

It would be great to have a very good special teamer, who can actually contribute elsewhere on the roster...

I agree with everything except for swapping him for Blake, those two together should wreak havoc on special teams.

Pokey Jones
04-04-2014, 12:21 PM

He couldn't put up big numbers with Mr. Tumnus throwing him the ball he won't do anything with us either. Scrub, if he makes the roster it says nothing other than we have drafted very poorly at WR but I bet he doesn't even make the final cut.

Big T
04-04-2014, 12:41 PM
He couldn't put up big numbers with Mr. Tumnus throwing him the ball he won't do anything with us either. Scrub, if he makes the roster it says nothing other than we have drafted very poorly at WR but I bet he doesn't even make the final cut.

That doesn't make much sense. We could draft Watkins and Heyward-Bey could still make the roster. Brown, Watkins, Wheaton, Moore, DHB... You could certainly have a worse 5th receiver.

keslerclan
04-04-2014, 01:17 PM
It should be noted that while DHB has not lived up to expectations, he is not a drop magnet either. He carries a drop percentage of over 10% but in his ONE good year, he was under 7%. A drop percentage of 11% or higher (of "catchable" balls) would have put him in the league with guys like Crabtree, Marshall, Bowe, Moss, Driver, Owens, Desean Jackson and James Jones from 2009-2012.

I hold out hope that his drop percentage is a lesser concern than his route running at this point. Hopefully he can learn to sell his cuts better than he has to this point in his career. If not, he still adds a dimension to the deep ball "threat" (even if he is less of a threat to actually catch the ball). I give him a better chance to make the squad than Moore whose drop percentage was below 4% for the years 2009-2012. At least DHB can block and play ST.

LatrobePA
04-04-2014, 01:20 PM

I'm betting he's a stand out this summer and does make the final cut.

NeilPatrickBanana
04-04-2014, 01:25 PM
). I give him a better chance to make the squad than Moore whose drop percentage was below 4% for the years 2009-2012. At least DHB can block and play ST.

I'll take that bet
Moore is almost a lock to make the roster

keslerclan
04-04-2014, 06:15 PM
I'll take that bet
Moore is almost a lock to make the roster

"ALMOST" is probably right. I don't disagree with the assessment BUT if Ben has more "say so" than the old "Mann" or Haley, IMO he will throw his weight towards a guy who can get open deep like DHB or Moye over another smurf.

Ben doesn't have the accuracy of Brees and usually likes to see his receiver open before he throws it. After watching the 50+ highlights of Moore catches online, I'm not convinced he can get any separation at all unless he double-moves someone. He may still "stick" for vet leadership alone but we lose next to nothing if neither he/DHB get to make the final roster. It just means our "other guys" were better.

NeilPatrickBanana
04-04-2014, 06:17 PM
"ALMOST" is probably right. I don't disagree with the assessment BUT if Ben has more "say so" than the old "Mann" or Haley, IMO he will throw his weight towards a guy who can get open deep like DHB or Moye over another smurf.

Ben doesn't have the accuracy of Brees and usually likes to see his receiver open before he throws it. After watching the 50+ highlights of Moore catches online, I'm not convinced he can get any separation at all unless he double-moves someone. He may still "stick" for vet leadership alone but we lose next to nothing if neither he/DHB get to make the final roster. It just means our "other guys" were better.

no. Ben will love the security blanket that Moore will provide... just like he loved Cotchery.

The only way Moore isn't on the roster is if he gets injured.

Pokey Jones
04-04-2014, 06:39 PM
That doesn't make much sense. We could draft Watkins and Heyward-Bey could still make the roster. Brown, Watkins, Wheaton, Moore, DHB... You could certainly have a worse 5th receiver.

Moye.

DHB is a ball dropper. Cannot be relied on, maybe as "good" as Limas Sweed was, maybe not.

steelchamp204
04-04-2014, 07:07 PM
DHB will be slayed to death upon this board after his 4th drop of the season.

He will take over all the Sanders criticisms. Just a cheaper contract.

LatrobePA
04-04-2014, 09:25 PM
I love how everyone is slamming him. Sanders sucked this team messed up not taking the 3rd last year.

DHB will finally be on a team that has a system and QB.

slashsteel
04-04-2014, 09:30 PM
I didn't think Luck was a scrub as he had a pretty good opportunity there. Not expecting much from Bey but that's the beauty of it. Low cost pickup that can provide some splash plays, or get axed costing little to nothing.

Blazedby92
04-04-2014, 09:41 PM

What does that have to do with catching balls?
If they get the ball to him and he drops it do you think it's the QB fault?
Plus Andrew Luck isn't a bad QB but I would say he can probabky catch better, lol.

steelchamp204
04-04-2014, 09:43 PM
I love how everyone is slamming him. Sanders sucked this team messed up not taking the 3rd last year.

DHB will finally be on a team that has a system and QB.

23.68% drop percentage last season.

He had a system and QB last season with the Colts.

Spike
04-04-2014, 10:07 PM
I love how everyone is slamming him..

Probably Penn State lovers - afraid Moye will be ditched now.

steelchamp204
04-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Probably Penn State lovers - afraid Moye will be ditched now.

I'm a huge PSU guy, Moye isn't the answer at all. He had his opportunity last season to make a statement and get some playing time with Wheaton/Burress injuries. He didn't capitalize, not sure if he had injuries or whatnot also.

I find it hilarious how everyone dogged Sanders for how many drops last season? When we are excited to see what DHB can do when he had 9 drops and a 23.68% drop rate last season.

Spike
04-04-2014, 11:54 PM
I find it hilarious how everyone dogged Sanders for how many drops last season? When we are excited to see what DHB can do

8-8 teams can't be choosy - I, for one, am glad they are trying something new for one more chance at that elusive wildcard slot

Pokey Jones
04-05-2014, 02:50 AM
DHB has had what 6 or 7 seasons to prove himself - and he hasn't, but Moye isn't the answer after 1 year? Seems reasonable.

coldrolled
04-05-2014, 10:09 AM
DHB has had what 6 or 7 seasons to prove himself - and he hasn't, but Moye isn't the answer after 1 year? Seems reasonable.

He was a raider in 2009 that was a great year for our drafts also. Ziggy for us Bey for the Raiders #7

He runs a 4.3 he needs to see a shrink.. how do you stop catching balls. maybe wake-n-bake to much?

The steeler fans are so used to us drafting 20-21 year old soph-juniors that 27 seems old.. if we drafted more seniors they would be 24 their second year.

steelchamp204
04-05-2014, 11:24 AM

All Derek Moye bring to the table is size.

That is all that is keeping him in this league/practice squad situation. For the hope of him developing into a productive route runner of more than 1-2 routes.

Big T
04-05-2014, 12:15 PM

Sure, Moye might be the answer... If the question is "who is 6'5, can't run routes and drops gimme TDs?"...

Mr.wizard
04-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Moye isn't the answer, never was supposed to be, and never will be. DHB is clearly being brought in because he is cheap and he can stretch the field. Moye can only be used for his height in certain situations, theres no way he can stretch the field and no way he would be able to consistently beat coverage off the ball.

Pokey Jones
04-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Ok so you guys see no potential in Moye. I don't quit on a guy after 1 year, especially a 6'5" guy but we can disagree on that. I do quit on a 7 year vet with a history of dropsy though. DHB did nothing with Mr. Tumnus so he will do nothing here either.

Bottom line right now imo, we are worse than last year at WR. Subtract Cotchery and Sanders, add Moore and Bey. Downgrade.

Our potential at WR still rests on a rookie and/or Wheaton stepping up. But right now, its Brown double teamed all season long.

coldrolled
04-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Ok so you guys see no potential in Moye. I don't quit on a guy after 1 year, especially a 6'5" guy but we can disagree on that. I do quit on a 7 year vet with a history of dropsy though. DHB did nothing with Mr. Tumnus so he will do nothing here either.

Bottom line right now imo, we are worse than last year at WR. Subtract Cotchery and Sanders, add Moore and Bey. Downgrade.

Our potential at WR still rests on a rookie and/or Wheaton stepping up. But right now, its Brown double teamed all season long.

DHB was drafted in 2009 at #7 not seven years ago.

coldrolled
04-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Darrius Heyward-Bey’s Deal Only Guaranteed For $65,000

slashsteel
04-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Exactly it cost little to nothing to bring him in for a look. And doesn't prevent the Steelers from drafting two if they want either.

Not that Moye still doesn't get a chance, but the Steelers obviously are unwilling to have a shortage of options.

Sure that mindset will bring in a WR in round 1, 2, or 3.

Big T
04-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Exactly it cost little to nothing to bring him in for a look. And doesn't prevent the Steelers from drafting two if they want either.

Not that Moye still doesn't get a chance, but the Steelers obviously are unwilling to have a shortage of options.

Sure that mindset will bring in a WR in round 1, 2, or 3.

Agreed

LatrobePA
04-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Darrius Heyward-Bey’s Deal Only Guaranteed For $65,000

People like to whine when they don't bring people in (me) and when they do they like to whine. Can't fn win. This guy could have a break out season with us and if not so be it he's cheap!

coldrolled
04-05-2014, 11:49 PM
People like to whine when they don't bring people in (me) and when they do they like to whine. Can't fn win. This guy could have a break out season with us and if not so be it he's cheap!

Hopefully Ben and the coaches figure him out and he surprises.

POE
04-06-2014, 11:49 AM
✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。¨¯`*✲www.247Steelers.com✲´*。.❄¨¯`* ✲。❄。*。¨¯`*✲

Mr.wizard
04-06-2014, 07:15 PM

Nobody is giving up on moye, he is just simply a limited role player and that's all. I don't see DHB and lance moore as being downgrades to cotchery and sanders if anything at worst its a lateral move. Also nobody is double teaming brown, its not like he is going to be torching db's most of our big plays by our wideouts is because ben extends the play. The reason our offense was so inept at the beginning of the year is because we were trying to run that short passing offense and nobody was beating their man off the ball. Ben Roethlisberger is the man who makes our receivers superstars.

coldrolled
04-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Nobody is giving up on moye, he is just simply a limited role player and that's all. I don't see DHB and lance moore as being downgrades to cotchery and sanders if anything at worst its a lateral move. Also nobody is double teaming brown, its not like he is going to be torching db's most of our big plays by our wideouts is because ben extends the play. The reason our offense was so inept at the beginning of the year is because we were trying to run that short passing offense and nobody was beating their man off the ball. Ben Roethlisberger is the man who makes our receivers superstars.

0-4 we had Miller and Bell on the sidelines.

If Miller gets hurt this year were on the losing end again.

TarlsQtr
04-07-2014, 12:40 PM

I am not sure that is really true of last season.

Stone
04-08-2014, 10:03 AM
I just have this bad ju-ju about first round picks who held out and eventually came in to be a bust........ Anybody remember Brady Quinn?

K Train
04-08-2014, 10:23 AM
I just have this bad ju-ju about first round picks who held out and eventually came in to be a bust........ Anybody remember Brady Quinn?

Brady Quinn expected to be a top 10 pick and thought he deserved a QB premium (as all agents and QBs do despite when they go in the first round)

DHB was a late first/early second round pick that was taken 7th overall and the raiders were low balling him for that reason. He was taken 7th overall, he deserved 7th overall money even if he wasnt better than crabtree or maclin

Hes not a bad player, I think he could carve out a niche with the team, and if not oh well. Its not like Nate Washington or Mike Wallace had vise grips for hands

Stone
04-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Brady Quinn expected to be a top 10 pick and thought he deserved a QB premium (as all agents and QBs do despite when they go in the first round)

DHB was a late first/early second round pick that was taken 7th overall and the raiders were low balling him for that reason. He was taken 7th overall, he deserved 7th overall money even if he wasnt better than crabtree or maclin

Hes not a bad player, I think he could carve out a niche with the team, and if not oh well. Its not like Nate Washington or Mike Wallace had vise grips for hands

Certainly can't argue any of your points but we simply don't have the time to babysit another head case....especially at WR! We don't have many years left before our elite players retire....we need to strike now.

K Train
04-08-2014, 12:30 PM
I kinda feel bad for the guy. Everything you hear about him is bust bust bust, but he seems like a great guy and from everything it sounds like its willing to put in the work. Might not be the best player, but its not his fault oakland took him 7th overall. EVERYONE called him not living up to that draft position and all that money

He has had a better career than troy williamson, who he was widely compared to coming out of maryland and for good reason

coldrolled
04-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Maybe the great QB's in Oakland ruined his confidence early in his career...

It would be awesome to see him turn it around and put up some above average numbers.

Real Deal Steel
04-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Maybe the great QB's in Oakland ruined his confidence early in his career...

It would be awesome to see him turn it around and put up some above average numbers.

I wish.

SuperSteelers
04-09-2014, 01:14 AM
DHB will be fine. You all worry too much.

steelchamp204
04-09-2014, 02:34 AM
DHB will be fine. You all worry too much.

Yea, hopefully he can drop the 2013 23% drop rate down to about 2%

K Train
04-09-2014, 08:58 AM
9.4 percent drops last year is not good by any means, but its not the 75 percent youd think by hearing people talk about him

Real Deal Steel
04-09-2014, 03:41 PM
I don't think we'll even notice him on the team. They only thing we will notice is when he's released.

K Train
04-09-2014, 03:45 PM
I think a good QB and a WR guy in Haley and DHB might surprise you.

I think he can put together a better season than Sanders did, and if not...who cares

Real Deal Steel
04-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Exactly.

Big T
04-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Exactly.

That's a quick change from "bad signing all the way around with no upside"

Real Deal Steel
04-09-2014, 04:42 PM
I still think it's a bad signing. And a waste of whatever money they gave him up front. I'm agreeing with, "if not,who cares" part of what he's saying. I have zero faith in old "hands of stone" DHB. LOL

K Train
04-09-2014, 04:47 PM
I still think it's a bad signing. And a waste of whatever money they gave him up front. I'm agreeing with, "if not,who cares" part of what he's saying. I have zero faith in old "hands of stone" DHB. LOL

His guaranteed money is .04 percent of the cap....not 4 percent, four tenths of one percent

Like Ive said before, hes talented and its not like Washington or Wallace had vise grips for hands

Big T
04-09-2014, 04:50 PM

There's no downside. They got him on what, a 1-year vet min deal? He doesn't pan out? Doesn't matter, but there's potential there. Still young and has an elite trait. If he makes the team, and see the field at all, the defense has to pay some sort of attention to him.

Real Deal Steel
04-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Maybe he can be a gunner on special teams. How's that for upside? I'm still down on the signing because he's a waste of a roster spot for someone else. But it is what it is.

I can't wait to see how Justin Brown has developed (if he's developed) from last season to the up coming season. Because I want Brown brought up to take DHB's roster spot.

I don't think jack of the Roberto Duran of wide receivers (DHB).

K Train
04-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Justin Brown wont beat DHB, they signed DHB because they have no reason to have faith in brown

coldrolled
04-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Justin Brown wont beat DHB, they signed DHB because they have no reason to have faith in brown

i hope dhb shows up, if he does it would be nice to have an option to keep him longer or trade him.

Real Deal Steel
04-09-2014, 08:27 PM

Okay then. But we don't know what Brown will do in his second year. Maybe he does bomb. Who knows?

But I do know what DHB will do.

LevonKirkland99
04-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Eric Ebron, TE according to walterfootball.com...are we really going for a TE in the 1st round?

K Train
04-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Okay then. But we don't know what Brown will do in his second year. Maybe he does bomb. Who knows?

But I do know what DHB will do.

I dont think you do. He was raw but I think he has considerable potential still

K Train
04-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Eric Ebron, TE according to walterfootball.com...are we really going for a TE in the 1st round?

Can't look at it as a TE, he's a WR in a huge body.

coldrolled
04-09-2014, 11:46 PM

Ebron should make our overall offense look better. i think Mosley would make our overall defense look better.

Real Deal Steel
04-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Ebron would allow Ben to get rid of the ball quicker. And you can't put a price on that. That is the one reason why I like Ebron.

Because in theory, if you look at the Saints, Jimmy Graham is their best receiver. They don't have an Antonio Brown in New Orleans so you would think that an Ebron, A. Brown and Wheaton combination could be more deadly then the Saints game. In theory.

coldrolled
04-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Ebron would allow Ben to get rid of the ball quicker. And you can't put a price on that. That is the one reason why I like Ebron.

Because in theory, if you look at the Saints, Jimmy Graham is their best receiver. They don't have an Antonio Brown in New Orleans so you would think that an Ebron, A. Brown and Wheaton combination could be more deadly then the Saints game. In theory.

Miller too.