PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, Bills to hold joint training camp practices

Big T
03-26-2014, 08:00 PM
The Steelers and Bills have agreed to hold joint training camp practice “sessions” this summer, the Bills announced Wednesday.

The workouts are subject to NFL approval, the Bills said. Dates for the practices, as well as the number of workouts, have not yet been announced.

The proposed 2014 workouts would be held at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, which is where the Steelers have long held their summer workouts. Under the proposal, the Steelers would visit the Bills’ training camp for practices in 2015.

“We are looking for certain things and things that Coach Tomlin and the Pittsburgh Steelers bring to the table that would help us,” Bills coach Doug Marrone said on Tuesday, according to the club. “I think there are things we can do that help them prepare for the season. We’ve talked about the schedule of what we’re going to do, when we practice together. I think it could be a very good working relationship for both teams.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/26/bills-steelers-to-hold-joint-training-camp-practices/

steelchamp204
03-27-2014, 12:43 AM
The Steelers and Bills have agreed to hold joint training camp practice “sessions” this summer, the Bills announced Wednesday.

The workouts are subject to NFL approval, the Bills said. Dates for the practices, as well as the number of workouts, have not yet been announced.

The proposed 2014 workouts would be held at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, which is where the Steelers have long held their summer workouts. Under the proposal, the Steelers would visit the Bills’ training camp for practices in 2015.

“We are looking for certain things and things that Coach Tomlin and the Pittsburgh Steelers bring to the table that would help us,” Bills coach Doug Marrone said on Tuesday, according to the club. “I think there are things we can do that help them prepare for the season. We’ve talked about the schedule of what we’re going to do, when we practice together. I think it could be a very good working relationship for both teams.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/26/bills-steelers-to-hold-joint-training-camp-practices/

Helping out another team??? A conference opponent. HAAA

Big T
03-27-2014, 01:19 AM
The Pats have done it with NO, Philly, and TB. I like the idea. More competition, practicing against players from different teams, practicing against a different scheme (4-3)... I like the idea a lot.

USMC607
03-27-2014, 01:32 AM
They can get into fights with the other team now. lol

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

steelchamp204
03-27-2014, 01:39 AM
They can get into fights with the other team now. lol

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

And get fined..... Probably :lol:

Real Deal Steel
03-27-2014, 10:01 AM
The Pats have done it with NO, Philly, and TB. I like the idea. More competition, practicing against players from different teams, practicing against a different scheme (4-3)... I like the idea a lot.

but why does it have to be a team in our conference? I dont like helping anybody in our conference. And really, what are we getting scrimmaging against them? I'd rather scrimmage against the Eagles. Then, I could see how that benefits our defense.

K Train
03-27-2014, 10:05 AM
I doubt a few padded practices against the steelers are going to thrust the bills to superbowl contention

Real Deal Steel
03-27-2014, 10:10 AM
There is more benefit to the Bills then us. I don't like it. I'd rather scrimmage against someone where the obvious benefits are in our favor. The obvious benefit is clearly to the bills favor in this scrimmage.

WindyCityShaker
03-27-2014, 11:09 AM
There is more benefit to the Bills then us. I don't like it. I'd rather scrimmage against someone where the obvious benefits are in our favor. The obvious benefit is clearly to the bills favor in this scrimmage.

I'm meh on the whole deal, but don't start crying chicken little, we're going to get helped in the process as well. You're thinking about it as a "lesser" team getting to practice with us, in a free for all scenario, and that is going to cause them to be better. Also how many have complained about a lack of fire or intensity from this team? These guys see each other every day, they know what's coming. There will be a certain level of competition with "the opponent" that occurs during an undertaking such as this.

These practices should scripted to accommodate whatever one team or the other wants to work on. It's not one team running "their scheme" and playbook allowing the other team to work on it. Let's say, and I'm speaking as an example here, that Cortez bites on double moves every time, we can ask their receivers to run nothing but double moves against him. Or we can ask their defense to run certain blitzes to help improve our oline and rb pickups against the blitz.....etc. Trust me neither coach is going to show ANY more than they intend to show the other.

The more I think about it I'm willing to see how this could go.

WindyCityShaker
03-27-2014, 11:12 AM
but why does it have to be a team in our conference? I dont like helping anybody in our conference. And really, what are we getting scrimmaging against them? I'd rather scrimmage against the Eagles. Then, I could see how that benefits our defense.

Yes, let's scrimmage against the ONE team that runs a system that we wouldn't see all season. Come on.

steelchamp204
03-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Will the Bills coaching staff help Tomlin out with clock management??

K Train
03-27-2014, 11:27 AM

Why? The oline is learning a new scheme and they get to practice against a 43 defense that has mario williams, kyle williams, and marcel dareus on it. Sign me up

Real Deal Steel
03-27-2014, 11:28 AM
I'm meh on the whole deal, but don't start crying chicken little, we're going to get helped in the process as well. You're thinking about it as a "lesser" team getting to practice with us, in a free for all scenario, and that is going to cause them to be better. Also how many have complained about a lack of fire or intensity from this team? These guys see each other every day, they know what's coming. There will be a certain level of competition with "the opponent" that occurs during an undertaking such as this.

These practices should scripted to accommodate whatever one team or the other wants to work on. It's not one team running "their scheme" and playbook allowing the other team to work on it. Let's say, and I'm speaking as an example here, that Cortez bites on double moves every time, we can ask their receivers to run nothing but double moves against him. Or we can ask their defense to run certain blitzes to help improve our oline and rb pickups against the blitz.....etc. Trust me neither coach is going to show ANY more than they intend to show the other.

The more I think about it I'm willing to see how this could go.

I like the idea, but not with lesser teams. Let us scrimmage against the Packers, the Saints, the Eagles, teams that have a real QB that can challenge our secondary and can challenge DC's idea of always leaving the corners 10 yards off the line of scrimmage that may make the light bulb go off in his dimly lite brain to think, " Maybe I need more man to man coverages".

How can a scrimmage against the Bills cornball QB help improve our defense? Come on.

Real Deal Steel
03-27-2014, 11:31 AM
Why? The oline is learning a new scheme and they get to practice against a 43 defense that has mario williams, kyle williams, and marcel dareus on it. Sign me up

Okay...point taken. This is a yen

How can a scrimmage against the Bills cornball QB help improve our defense? This is yang.

K Train
03-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Okay...point taken. This is a yen

How can a scrimmage against the Bills cornball QB help improve our defense? This is yang.

Because they have a tremendous run blocking offensive line an Spiller/Steady Freddy in the backfield. A speedy Goodwin down the field, a great route runner in Robert Woods and Stevie Johnson, a Behemoth TE in Chandler, and in all likelihood will be drafting mike evans or eric ebron

I said this last time we played the bills though, i PRAY kraig urbik takes it easy on them though

Real Deal Steel
03-27-2014, 11:42 AM
But that isn't our biggest problem on defense. We are in a pass happy league. Our first concern needs to be playing better defense against the better QB's in the league. As we upgrade our personnell on the D-line and line backing corps, we'll be fine against the run.

The pass is our problem. For references, please refer to the Dolphins game in Pittsburgh last season as Clay tore a new A-hole in Troy. For further references, please refer to a 50 point embarrassment put on us by the Patriots last season. That's what we need to be working on.

I definitely see what your saying K, but in my book, the Bills are not he team that is going to help our defense improve where we need improvement in.

K Train
03-27-2014, 11:50 AM
We could also use some help stopping the run and rushing the passer, which is where the bills oline is going to help

Maybe that will include working in a rookie LB or CB....who knows

Practicing against a vanilla denver offense resting manning and getting the brockweiler reps isnt going to help the defense lol, but maybe it will practicing against a bills offense with something to prove....again though, we talkin about practice

Real Deal Steel
03-27-2014, 11:57 AM
We'll see.

But give me the Packers over the Bills anyday to practice against.

TarlsQtr
03-27-2014, 01:07 PM
We could also use some help stopping the run and rushing the passer, which is where the bills oline is going to help

Maybe that will include working in a rookie LB or CB....who knows

Practicing against a vanilla denver offense resting manning and getting the brockweiler reps isnt going to help the defense lol, but maybe it will practicing against a bills offense with something to prove....again though, we talkin about practice

Bingo. This is about helping individuals get development by practicing against different people and working together as units (e.g. the O-Line). If they were going into this with the thought of figuring out how to stop Peyton Manning and passing QBs, then they should not even do it. There will not be any game planning or anything but the most generic plays/schemes. It is essentially practice. The only difference is the other team wears another color on their uniform.

WindyCityShaker
03-27-2014, 03:36 PM
I like the idea, but not with lesser teams. Let us scrimmage against the Packers, the Saints, the Eagles, teams that have a real QB that can challenge our secondary and can challenge DC's idea of always leaving the corners 10 yards off the line of scrimmage that may make the light bulb go off in his dimly lite brain to think, " Maybe I need more man to man coverages".

How can a scrimmage against the Bills cornball QB help improve our defense? Come on.

I've got news for you, for the past couple of years it doesn't take an elite QB to take this secondary apart. You keep looking at this whole thing through a veryyyyy defined lens, "we're better than them", "Manuel is only so good", "we just need to work on the secondary", etc.

Yes, the secondary is where the bulk of the problems lie, improving the pass rush, improving against the run, they all indirectly help the secondary as well. Our biggest problem in the secondary isn't necessarily understanding coverage, etc, it's about having the talent to match up with opponent WR's, which every year we're more and more on the losing side of that battle. You can practice against better QB's all you want, without the horses to match up, it's an exercise in futility.

WindyCityShaker
03-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Will the Bills coaching staff help Tomlin out with clock management??

Maybe. Who's to say they can't become good friends, share general thoughts and strategies? As anyone goes through life they are capable of picking up knowledge, habits, etc from others that can help them in their professional careers. Rarely does anyone learn all they need on their own efforts.

Big T
03-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Lol some people are making wayyyyy too big a deal out of this. They aren't going to be sharing playbooks lol. All this does is liven up a monotonous training camp, add more competition from someone other than a teammate, and gives them a chance to practice against different schemes and an extremely talented front 4 (or 7) in the Bills defense. This can only help.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Steelers use to scrimmage with the Redskins in years past.......I really don't understand the big deal about this.....I'm hoping maybe some live scrimmages with another NFL team will help the team prepare for the season especially since the team got off to a slow start this past season........

jdehoff83
03-27-2014, 04:34 PM
I like the idea but eh maybe with an nfc team

jpele
03-27-2014, 05:29 PM
It's nothing new, we've practiced with teams before. Washinton comes to mind.

steelchamp204
03-28-2014, 01:20 AM
Tomlin can show the other coaches how to disrupt a potential kick off return for a touchdown!!! Without even looking on the field :tt02: