PDA

View Full Version : how would you lineup our LBs ?

acero
03-25-2014, 01:16 PM
if we have jarvis jones, jason worlids, moats vince williams, timmons

how would you line them up?

NeilPatrickBanana
03-25-2014, 01:37 PM
if we have jarvis jones, jason worlids, moats vince williams, timmons

how would you line them up?

LOLB - Worrilds
MILB - Timmons
BILB - Moats
ROLB - Jones

JackLambert
03-25-2014, 02:40 PM
LOLB - Worrilds
MILB - Timmons
BILB - Moats
ROLB - Jones

Works for me.

acero
03-26-2014, 01:17 AM
pardon me but what does the BILB stand for?

Pokey Jones
03-26-2014, 02:19 AM
Moats is the obvious inside starter since his primary strength is as a run stopper. Its his job to lose I think.

TarlsQtr
03-26-2014, 06:46 AM
pardon me but what does the BILB stand for?

Buck Inside Linebacker

NorCalSteel
03-26-2014, 07:36 AM
I thought Vince Williams showed allot inside this year. It would not surprise me if he started. I think he had a better year then JJ

Real Deal Steel
03-26-2014, 10:13 AM
Moats is the obvious inside starter since his primary strength is as a run stopper. Its his job to lose I think.

I agree. Atlest that was the assumption that I made from his signing.

K Train
03-26-2014, 10:19 AM
I thought Vince Williams showed allot inside this year. It would not surprise me if he started. I think he had a better year then JJ

Vince williams was the second worst player on the defense last year (Hood), I get that he was a rookie but "showed a lot" isnt how i would describe it.

acero
03-26-2014, 10:25 AM
a 1 year only contract for moats might be a sign of FO that they want to develop vince williams

steelchamp204
03-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Vince williams was the second worst player on the defense last year (Hood), I get that he was a rookie but "showed a lot" isnt how i would describe it.

Jarvis Jones had a VAE of -0.2
Vince Williams VAE was 4.1

Vae goes off of traditional stats, but it also goes off how well the player performed based on were he was drafted and expectations that were put on the player.

2nd worse player on the defense? Hell, that could have been Ike/Jones also. JJ did jack squat last season. Only thing I remember was the "pressure" he put on the QB when he threw the INT to Timmons that sealed the game.

Real Deal Steel
03-26-2014, 10:35 AM

Vae goes off of traditional stats, but it also goes off how well the player performed based on were he was drafted and expectations that were put on the player.

2nd worse player on the defense? Hell, that could have been Ike/Jones also. JJ did jack squat last season. Only thing I remember was the "pressure" he put on the QB when he threw the INT to Timmons that sealed the game.

Come on Steelchamp. Don't you think your being a bit harsh on a rookie? Give him a chance to hit the weight room this summer and be fully acclimated in the system before making such harsh judgement. You know D. Lebeau's system is the easiest to pick up right away either. Let's cut him some slack. I think JJ will make you happy soon enough.

K Train
03-26-2014, 10:43 AM

Jones will be fine. Vince Williams could be a viable starter one day, but ive always compared him to jasper brinkley...hes a down hill thumper, a 2 down MLB in a league where you cant be a two down MLB.

Jones played an entirely different position. He wasnt a rookie sensation, but if you think Williams has more potential than jones going into this season, you are fooling yourself. Jones disappointed in pressure on the QB, but he did some good things in learning coverages and as a LB in pursuit. Im excited for year two

Real Deal Steel
03-26-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm excited by what I think both will bring this coming season.

steelchamp204
03-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Jones will be fine. Vince Williams could be a viable starter one day, but ive always compared him to jasper brinkley...hes a down hill thumper, a 2 down MLB in a league where you cant be a two down MLB.

Jones played an entirely different position. He wasnt a rookie sensation, but if you think Williams has more potential than jones going into this season, you are fooling yourself. Jones disappointed in pressure on the QB, but he did some good things in learning coverages and as a LB in pursuit. Im excited for year two

Yes, because draft position bases how high your ceiling "should" be instead of "can be". I never said Williams will be better than Jones, you said Williams was the 2nd worse player on defense, I put out number is all.

JJ has a slow first step in pass rushing. If he can fix that and be quicker off the ball, then he will improve. Yes, he needs to bulk up but that is a given just by looking at him.

steelchamp204
03-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Come on Steelchamp. Don't you think your being a bit harsh on a rookie? Give him a chance to hit the weight room this summer and be fully acclimated in the system before making such harsh judgement. You know D. Lebeau's system is the easiest to pick up right away either. Let's cut him some slack. I think JJ will make you happy soon enough.

He play 3-4 OLB at Georgia. What changed in DL system in the "rushing passer" department from the OLB position? Nothing. Just better players. The coverage scheme could have changed, but by how much?? I believe it comes down to JJ and how much he wants to be great in this league. It's the want factor to be the best that worries me. We will find out his work ethic this coming season.

K Train
03-26-2014, 11:17 AM
I dont think Jones work ethic has ever come into question

SCR
03-26-2014, 01:51 PM

He was completely invisible most of the time. Good enough in pass coverage to force Troy into playing ILB, and good enough in run supports that people are undervaluing McClendon.

JollyRob68
03-26-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm excited by what I think both will bring this coming season.

I agree,excited about both. I like Vince Williams and think he will get better in coverage. I like the Arthur Moats signing.

TarlsQtr
03-26-2014, 02:11 PM
He was completely invisible most of the time. Good enough in pass coverage to force Troy into playing ILB, and good enough in run supports that people are undervaluing McClendon.

Agree on both counts. He could develop into a serviceable player but I am not confident that he will ever be more than depth. I really want us to draft Andrew Jackson in the middle rounds.

NorCalSteel
03-26-2014, 05:20 PM

I as usual don't think you know what your talking about. He made some great plays, and will only get better. He also started showing allot of speed. We will see, I am usually correct a curse I have to live with ;)

K Train
03-27-2014, 08:08 AM
I as usual don't think you know what your talking about. He made some great plays, and will only get better. He also started showing allot of speed. We will see, I am usually correct a curse I have to live with ;)

lmao, sure. Speed is definitely one thing he doesnt have. But apparently you see "allot" of it in him

Hes a career backup, which is ok...we need those too.

tat2
03-27-2014, 03:10 PM
what is the latest on Spence?

TarlsQtr
03-27-2014, 03:19 PM
what is the latest on Spence?

We likely will not hear anything (at least officially) until mini camps.

K Train
03-27-2014, 03:31 PM
Spence update

Inside linebacker Sean Spence, who has not played since sustaining a severe knee injury as a rookie in the 2012 preseason, is expected to be ready to take part in the team’s offseason training activities.

That, however, does not mean Spence, a third-round draft choice from Miami, is ready to resume playing.

General manager Kevin Colbert said the team will monitor Spence’s progress in organized team activities (OTAs) and get a better idea of what they can expect from him for training camp. Spence returned to practice on a limited basis last season, but that lasted only a couple days because he sustained another injury in workouts.

“Because it was such a severe injury, you have to monitor where he is on a day-to-day basis and back-to-back days practicing because we didn’t get to see that,” Colbert said.

“The glimpse that we saw was great, but it was a small sample, and you didn’t get to see if there was going to be side effects from extra work.

“That’s something we’ll find out throughout the spring and the summer.”

Happy anniversary

Colbert recently passed his 14th anniversary of joining the Steelers (Feb. 15, 2000), meaning he has worked longer with Tomlin than he did with former coach Bill Cowher.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz2x9THkyBV

Big T
03-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the update

coldrolled
03-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Besides Timmons which LB do we have currently that can drop in coverage and protect the run??

Williams?

Big T
03-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Besides Timmons which LB do we have currently that can drop in coverage and protect the run??

Williams?

Vince Williams is a two-down thumper. Moats is better in coverage and he's nothing special when it comes to that.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-27-2014, 06:54 PM

Williams?

None really.

Definitely not Williams who is incapable physically

Moats isn't particularly good in coverage/recognition

Spence is simply a massive question mark

Honestly, the answer is probably Terence Garvin

coldrolled
03-28-2014, 08:50 AM
So this puts Mosley in the draft picture at #15

K Train
03-28-2014, 09:24 AM
I am mildly optimistic about spence...not sure why but i am

Im working on a 3 round mock....i have the steelers choosing between barr and mosely with the corners off the board, I think im going barr.

Shazier is a dark horse....incredibly fast, but hes not like ogletree or ernie simms, hes good in traffic and hes so tough to get a hand on.

The coveted Mychal Kendricks....shazier is a better version of him

DanRooney
03-28-2014, 10:40 AM

Ike Taylor was the worst player on the defense last year. He might have been the worst starting cornerback in the league. Downright awful.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-28-2014, 10:49 AM
I am mildly optimistic about spence...not sure why but i am

Im working on a 3 round mock....i have the steelers choosing between barr and mosely with the corners off the board, I think im going barr.

Shazier is a dark horse....incredibly fast, but hes not like ogletree or ernie simms, hes good in traffic and hes so tough to get a hand on.

The coveted Mychal Kendricks....shazier is a better version of him

Shazier is going to be a very good/impact football player.

With Williams, Moats, Garvin, and Wilson... I'm not sure we'll be using a high round (1 - 3) on a LBer

I think if Gilbert/Dennard are both off the board, the Steelers will take the risk on Benjamin (assuming Mike "James" is off the board)

K Train
03-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Ike Taylor was the worst player on the defense last year. He might have been the worst starting cornerback in the league. Downright awful.

He lost a step, but he had no help back there. A young ike probably would have been better, but there were many many times ike got "burned" as a result of clark being awful last seaosn

Back end of the defense fixes itself in this scheme when there is a pass rush. Hood opening up nothing has been a major reason for lack of pass rush...hence the reason he was the worst steeler.

People dont notice how terrible he was at doing his job because they dont understand what that was. Hood tried to be a 310 pound OLB and bend the corner, effectively making him useless

K Train
03-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Shazier is going to be a very good/impact football player.

With Williams, Moats, Garvin, and Wilson... I'm not sure we'll be using a high round (1 - 3) on a LBer

I think if Gilbert/Dennard are both off the board, the Steelers will take the risk on Benjamin (assuming Mike "James" is off the board)

Id be ok with that. Mike "Mike James" Evans ran around in shorts right up into the top 5-10 yesterday. Benjamin is risky, but i sign off on it lol

Would rather reach for Lee or Moncrief though, but i think they are going to be hell bent on size

Real Deal Steel
03-28-2014, 11:17 AM

NeilPatrickBanana
03-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Id be ok with that. Mike "Mike James" Evans ran around in shorts right up into the top 5-10 yesterday. Benjamin is risky, but i sign off on it lol

Would rather reach for Lee or Moncrief though, but i think they are going to be hell bent on size

Moncrief is a major project... the guy doesn't catch the ball, just watch a quick highlight video... and watch him body catch everything.

Lee is has NFL talent, he's just too damn redundant, with what we already have.

K Train
03-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Was watching some of Lee from 2012 the other day. Every bit as impressive as sammy watkins 2013

So strong after the catch, see a lot of Dez Bryant at Oklahoma st in Lees 2012 tape

SCR
03-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Odell Beckham would be a perfect fit for what kind of receiver the Steelers have targeted in the last 5 years or so as well. LSU offense ran quite a few slants and quick screens, if I remember right, and he was pretty good at them. Not much different that Brown/Wheaton, but fits the mold.

I'd prefer Matthews to Moncrief, frankly. Much more well-rounded.

Real Deal Steel
03-28-2014, 12:50 PM
If we can't get Evans/Gilbert/Mosley, I'm not against trading down and getting Matthews and adding a second round pick in the process.

Nolrog
03-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Back end of the defense fixes itself in this scheme when there is a pass rush.

This is key. IMO, the lack of pressure is the biggest issue on the defense. It's why we see teams convert 3rd and long and why we have had a serious lack of turn overs and big plays in the last 3 years.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Odell Beckham would be a perfect fit for what kind of receiver the Steelers have targeted in the last 5 years or so as well. LSU offense ran quite a few slants and quick screens, if I remember right, and he was pretty good at them. Not much different that Brown/Wheaton, but fits the mold.

I'd prefer Matthews to Moncrief, frankly. Much more well-rounded.

Agreed on both (although I don't think we need more of the same with regards to Beckham.

Jordan Matthews is soooo underrated.

K Train
03-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Agreed on both (although I don't think we need more of the same with regards to Beckham.

I love Matthews too. Was watching some of him vs South Carolina the other day. Moves very well

coldrolled
03-28-2014, 01:55 PM
I love Matthews too. Was watching some of him vs South Carolina the other day. Moves very well

Mosley, Matthews and then Purifoy late in the third.

Big T
03-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Mosley, Matthews and then Purifoy late in the third.

Matthews won't be there when we pick in the second. Depending on which WRs are taken ahead of them, he probably doesn't make it past Carolina.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Matthews won't be there when we pick in the second. Depending on which WRs are taken ahead of them, he probably doesn't make it past Carolina.

Agreed. I think up to 10 WRs could be drafted before our 2nd round pick.

steelchamp204
03-28-2014, 02:49 PM

Not really, he is a top 5 WR in this draft. I would even say he is better than Lee to be fair.

It wouldn't be a dumb move to trade back this draft. There is so much talent and I would rather have an extra pick. Just a quick thought.

coldrolled
03-28-2014, 03:06 PM

Carolina is looking at Jackson already...

K Train
03-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Carolina is in cap hell

coldrolled
03-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Carolina is in cap hell

Coach Ron Rivera told USA Today on Friday that the Carolina Panthers will discuss the possibility of signing the game-breaking wideout.

"We'd be interested. He's an intriguing player and we'll take a look at him," Rivera said. "I just got word and this is surprising to hear. He's an explosive player who has great vertical speed and is strong going to the ball."

Rivera's acknowledgement runs counter to recent reports that Carolina would not pursue the three-time Pro Bowl selection.

The Panthers will have plenty of competition for Jackson's services.

Big T
03-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Carolina is looking at Jackson already...

And? Cotchery is their #1 at the moment. Signing Jackson wouldn't take WR out of the "needs" column.